Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Alcohol is the most lethal drug, outranking heroin, crack cocaine, and marijuana Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 3:48:11 AM

Link to story.

Quote:

British experts evaluated substances including alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they are to the individual who takes them and to society as a whole.

Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals. When considering their wider social effects, alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

obscura
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:59:26 AM

Legalise coke I say! Makes people skinny and work faster. Earnings:time win.

It's only because of the availability of alcohol that makes it the most damaging to individuals as well as society. Big changes around tax laws, advertising, state pwnership, price (become so much cheaper in real terms, and it's the heaviest drinkers that are the most sensitive to price changes), drinking ages etc are needed.

Also, there are a lot of governments around the world that need to rethink their classification of drugs. Unfortunately the classifications are pretty sticky moving upwards and downwards from both the government's and societies perspective. And what government wants to make changes that are unpopular with society? All they are concerned about is being in power the next term.

sprite
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:33:12 AM

with the execption of Meth, given a choice of being around drunks or druggies, i'd pick druggies all the time. not that being a bit tipsy is so bad - i do that myself, but when people get blind drunk it's just not pleasant. not much of a response, but then, i'm really high right now... just kidding! :) i have yet to meet someone who gets violent after smoking a bowl, you know?

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:38:08 AM

Its not easy to become addicted to alcohol, that's the difference. Most people can take it or leave it so it is suitable as a relief valve. Just imagine what would happen if we all started to use crack like that.
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:40:06 AM

deadlogger wrote:
Its not easy to become addicted to alcohol, that's the difference. Most people can take it or leave it so it is suitable as a relief valve. Just imagine what would happen if we all started to use crack like that.

umm... funny, but i think AA would disagree with that. seems to me i know of more alcholics then i do addicts.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:47:12 AM

deadlogger wrote:

I think it's easy to get addicted to alcohol. What's not easy is admitting you are dependent on alcohol. It's legal and it's easy to get and consume, who can't take a drink right? I agree that crack is some horrible shit but a damn alcoholic is just unbearable to live with. More than coke heads, tweekers and definitely worst than stoners. Heroin junkies are a whole other beast all together and I'm grateful i've only known a few and have had limited interactions with them.

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:49:10 AM

deadlogger wrote:
Its not easy to become addicted to alcohol, that's the difference.

Wrong.
mercianknight
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:08:30 PM

What I love about these kinds of threads is the differing perspectives. Here is mine.

Booze is legal. Stats re booze are bad, therefore we should legalise drugs. Why? Are you stuck on stupid?

Surely the obvious lessons here are that:
1. Booze was legalised and, whilst hindsight may determine that was a bad idea, trying to turn the clock back is worse - ever hear of 'Prohibition'? The genie was let out of the bottle many, many years ago regarding booze so let's regulate and tax it. Alcoholism is destructive, no question, but what is done is done and I for one enjoy my glass of wine with dinner so leave it alone;

2. Having learned the lesson from (1) above, society has decided NOT to open Pandoras box and ensure that cocaine and crack are not stacked on the shelves of the local Wal-Mart next to the cheese. Drugs of that ilk are too addictive to be freely available to the general public and detecting abuse of same is tricky at best - e.g. a drunk driver reeks of booze but how does a cop determine if someone is tripping on heroin whilst driving a SUV full of kids?

3. Sure, some will argue that 'soft' drugs should be legalised, however, I think elements of (2) above apply to those as well. Addiction and abuse is a freight train that starts slowly, but once it builds up speed it is near impossible to stop.

Let's enjoy what we have. Drink a beer with me as we watch the footie, share a glass of chianti over dinner, down a Southren Comfort at the club before getting a cab home and be grateful we live in a society with reasonable limits as far as alcohol and drugs are concerned.

So endeth the lesson for today.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:18:27 PM

deadlogger wrote:

BIG TIME WRONG!!!!
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:55:45 PM

Well... everything is addictive with the right mindset, and most addictions do cause harm to the person indulging those vices and potentially those around them. That includes alcohol, recreational drugs, cigarettes, food, shopping or whatever else people's creative neurosis allow them to fixate on.

I had an uncle that basically drank himself to death, and another that is on his way to doing that. I've been around people under the influence of most variations and combinations of drugs and alcohol, and I can definitely say that the drunk ones were by FAR the scariest and most volatile.

I think alcohol is the easiest of all the vices to become addicted to. Drinking is socially acceptable and encouraged, many social interactions or special occasions are based in some part around drinking, and alcohol is readily available everywhere. We shouldn't be surprised that there are more suburban housewives stashing empty vodka bottles under the kitchen sink and in the back of their closets than ones who are snorting lines while their kids are at soccer practice. Indulging alcohol dependency is cheap, and relatively easy to hide (in terms of the amount being consumed) until it's too late. It's just as dangerous and addictive, but somehow seems to carry less of a stigma than saying "Hi, I'm Jane, and I'm a coke addict or heroin junkie."

There's a lot of judgment with drug use, but people tend to be more forgiving of alcoholism, smokers, morbidly obese food addicts and shopaholics. Just because the latter side of the list are all technically legal doesn't mean it's a "softer addiction" or has any less negative impact on the person indulging them once the addiction spirals out of control.

Jacknife
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:34:17 PM

Is it just me who really doesn't care what the dangers are to an inividual. If a person whishs to destroy themselves with drugs I really don't see why they should be stopped. Its not like there is a lack of information or education on how dangerous it is and if people choose to ignore it I have no problem with that.

Do smokers not know they are are giving themselves cancer, etc? and yet we as a society allow them to continue to do it. Why should we not allow other people to use their drug of choice to kill themselves if that is how they wish,

By the same token I have no sympathy for addicts who have got themselves hooked on drugs. I drink and tried some drugs in the past, but have never been addicted to anything, yet have limited freedom of choice in what I am able to use

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:38:02 PM

Dancing_Doll summed it up nicely. Alcohol is just too easily accepted and encouraged. This topic kind strikes a nerve with me right now because just this Sunday, not too far from my house, two girls, 19 and 17 were killed when another 17 year old girl, allegedly under the influence of alcohol, ran a red light and smashed into their car. It breaks my heart and angers me at the same time.

Call me naive and sheltered but I've never understood why people want to get drunk, plastered, etc... Needless to say, my social life when I was younger was quite empty because I never wanted to go "party" with the other kids.
Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:03:10 PM

The article itself disagrees with the headline.

Quote:
Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals. When considering their wider social effects, alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

I recently heard a british comic jokingly condone drinking and driving. I forget the exact stats, but he said that last year alcohol killed 20,000 people, driving killed 10,000 people while drinking and driving at the same time only killed 5,000 people, so he felt far safer drinking and driving. This article, or at least the sensationalized headline, reminds me of that because far more people use alcohol than any drug, so the effects on society as a whole are greater than that of any drug.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:17:20 PM

Jebru wrote:
The article itself disagrees with the headline.

Quote:

I recently heard a british comic jokingly condone drinking and driving. I forget the exact stats, but he said that last year alcohol killed 20,000 people, driving killed 10,000 people while drinking and driving at the same time only killed 5,000 people, so he felt far safer drinking and driving. This article, or at least the sensationalized headline, reminds me of that because far more people use alcohol than any drug, so the effects on society as a whole are greater than that of any drug.

Thats hilarious!

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:29:14 PM

nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs out there...we forget its even a drug sometimes. course people dont really die from nicotine overdoses like they can booze and drugs (with the exception of pot). sooooo...most dangerous by way of addiction but maybe not most dangerous by way of death.
obscura
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:02:10 PM

LittleMissBitch wrote:
sooooo...most dangerous by way of addiction but maybe not most dangerous by way of death.

Sure about that?

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:07:02 PM

obscura wrote:
LittleMissBitch wrote:
sooooo...most dangerous by way of addiction but maybe not most dangerous by way of death.

Sure about that?

yep pretty sure. right up there with heroine. and i dont think any of us take pure nicotine. maybe im wrong about that part? cuz if thats the case then it is really one of the most lethal.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:25:38 PM

Eh, the nicotine is not really that lethal to human beings, it is merely addictive. It's the tar and 300 other carcinogens in the smoke that 'we' inhale to obtain the nicotine, which is lethal as fuck.

Bugs find nicotine lethal. Humans just find it addictive.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:35:29 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
Eh, the nicotine is not really that lethal to human beings, it is merely addictive. It's the tar and 300 other carcinogens in the smoke that 'we' inhale to obtain the nicotine, which is lethal as fuck.

Bugs find nicotine lethal. Humans just find it addictive.

The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans......
says a quick google search.

now, i highly doubt anyone would ingest 50 mg of nicotine but still...
obscura
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:45:35 PM

Indirectly it's the most lethal drug.

Directly, you're right, its mega lethal in small amounts, but I have only heard of babies and toddlers being killed by ointments containing nicotine. Got to wonder about nicotine replacement therapies though, with people getting subsidised nicotine gum and 50mg (allbeit slow absortion rate) patches.

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:51:42 PM

obscura wrote:

Directly, you're right, its mega lethal in small amounts, but I have only heard of babies and toddlers being killed by ointments containing nicotine. Got to wonder about nicotine replacement therapies though, with people getting subsidised nicotine gum and 50mg (allbeit slow absortion rate) patches.

we keep nicotine gum and patches on a higher shelf than advil for sure.
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:35:59 PM

LittleMissBitch wrote:
obscura wrote:

AGREED LMB ...nicotine is actually one of the most addictive drugs known to man. It kills more people on an annual basis than any other - be that due to its "legal" status or not - it is a silent killer. And although you won't die from an overdose of smoking too many at one time (you puke way before), if one took 60 milligrams of nicotine (about three to four cigarettes) and injected oneself with it; don't bother to make a Christmas wish list. Nicotine is highly toxic!! Nicotine is also sold in commercially available pesticides - now you do the maths.
Do I smoke, you ask? Yes!! ...because apart from being highly toxic ...it is also highly addictive, some say (and this is only hearsay) more so than any other drug/alcohol. A hypocrite you say ....no ...just a weak-willed arsehole that needs another wake-up call.
Butterfly
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:12:23 PM

Conny-sure wrote:
LittleMissBitch wrote:
obscura wrote:

AGREED LMB ...nicotine is actually one of the most addictive drugs known to man. It kills more people on an annual basis than any other - be that due to its "legal" status or not - it is a silent killer. And although you won't die from an overdose of smoking too many at one time (you puke way before), if one took 60 milligrams of nicotine (about three to four cigarettes) and injected oneself with it; don't bother to make a Christmas wish list. Nicotine is highly toxic!! Nicotine is also sold in commercially available pesticides - now you do the maths.
Do I smoke, you ask? Yes!! ...because apart from being highly toxic ...it is also highly addictive, some say (and this is only hearsay) more so than any other drug/alcohol. A hypocrite you say ....no ...just a weak-willed arsehole that needs another wake-up call.

Agreed to you all here, lol, nicotine is by far the worst addiction in my opinion. A few of my family members and older friends have died from succumbing to lung cancer alone, even though a few of those family members/friends were also alcoholics...hmmm. Which is worse?? I enjoy a few drinks or a few beers a couple of times a week, usually weekends.

Personally, I tend to disagree with the alternative nicotine therapy methods that are available. I mean really, nicotine/weed and alcohol addictions can be overcome by will power and a strong mind and wanting to quit. I used to smoke pot pretty regularly when I was younger (in my late teens/twenties) Once I became pregnant with our first kid, it was really a no brainer for me...I had no issues with putting it down.

I'm a cigarette smoker, for about 22 years now, and I can honestly say that nicotine is way harder to let go of, and for some reason I always came back to it...damnit! I think about quitting all the time lately. Once I totally make my mind up to do so for good, I will. I don't wish to replace cigarettes with another form of nicotine intake just to lessen the withdrawal effects though, much less to give some company more of my money than the actual cost of cigarettes so they can help keep me addicted for a while longer.

Can't really comment on the whole heroine/meth/coke thing...tried meth and coke back in the day, that shit wasn't my bag at all. I'm energetic and hyper enough normally lol.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:26:36 PM

Alcohol abuse kills more people annually than all the other drugs, meanwhile...

Let's toss poor bastards like this in prison. He needs the rest of his life ruined properly, so we can protect certain corporate interests.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:15:43 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
Alcohol abuse kills more people annually than all the other drugs, meanwhile...

Let's toss poor bastards like this in prison. He needs the rest of his life ruined properly, so we can protect certain corporate interests.

why cigarettes are legal and pot is not is utterly beyond me.
Rontre
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 1:30:32 AM

I agree with you 100% LittleMissBitch!!!!!!!!! The cigarette companies are represented by Lobbyists who, to put it mildly influence our Senators, Congressmen, & any other "lawmakers" by contributing (donating) to any & all of these so called political campaigns. These same tobacco companies,for years wouldn't even admit that tobacco products were harmful or addicting. Just how many people die from the consumption of tobacco products either directly or indirectly is unknown to me but I'm sure the numbers are staggering. Lung cancer, Emphysema, Asthma, & an endless number of respiratory ailments can also be linked to tobacco products. Not to mention throat cancer from the products that are not smoked. And yes, there is such a thing a second hand smoke. And third hand smoke. The rising cost of healthcare is in part related to the consumption of tobacco products and the use of alcohol. I could go on & on about this but I need to cut it short. The government of the U.S.A. brings in revenue from taxes levied on all tobacco & alcohol sold. It's a damn shame they don't have enough sense to legalize pot for personal consumption., regulate & tax it just like they do with tobacco & alcohol. Reduce the deficit by hundreds of millions (Billion?) of dollars every year. Also let the non violent "criminals" who are in jail on Marijuana charges out. Non violent drug offenders need treatment not to be jailed. Make room for the real criminals. We can't even build jails fast enough to house them. I don't advocate legalizing heroin, coke, meth etc as I know first hand the devastation these drugs can bring on, not only to the user but to their family as well. Pot one day will be legalized & the days of "Reefer Madness" will be over.
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:02:25 AM

If you are going to make comparisons you need to be aware that most of the population drink alcohol we are talking about millions of people. The same applies to smoking. Now just imagine the devastation if the number of crack addicts was in the millions. Relatively speaking alcohol and smokes are least harmful.
Individual cases may be totally different but we are not concerned with individual cases just the whole of society. Its like saying smoking doesn't cause lung cancer because my uncle smoked until he was ninty nine and he never got cancer.
Rontre
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:55:12 AM

I don't know where you are getting your statistics on alcohol & tobacco.but I would sure like to see what institute would make such an outrageous statement. The least harmful? What a crock! As I said before I'm totally against the hard drugs. When was the last time you picked up a newspaper & saw where there were 30 children killed on a school bus by a driver,going the wrong way on an Interstate highway,because he or she was smoking pot? Or passing out at the wheel only to awaken later to find out that they ran over several pedestrians. Or ran off the road & killed them selves. The best scenario by far in my opinion. How about alcohol fetal syndrome? Ever heard of marijuana fetal syndrome? Bar room fights caused over pot? Not concerned over individual cases. I guarantee they have family members that are. True. Not everyone that smokes tobacco gets lung cancer. Not everyone who drinks gets liver damage. But their chances of contracting life threatening illnesses are far greater than the pot smokers. Would like to see where you received your information from Pure B.S.
LadyX
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:59:49 AM

deadlogger wrote:
If you are going to make comparisons you need to be aware that most of the population drink alcohol we are talking about millions of people. The same applies to smoking. Now just imagine the devastation if the number of crack addicts was in the millions. Relatively speaking alcohol and smokes are least harmful.
Individual cases may be totally different but we are not concerned with individual cases just the whole of society. Its like saying smoking doesn't cause lung cancer because my uncle smoked until he was ninty nine and he never got cancer.

Like Rontre, I wonder how you would make the case that alcohol and tobacco are the least harmful. By nearly any statistic, they are easily the most harmful. And you really want to use this as a way to say that hard drugs are most harmful? Without even looking, I'd be surprised if the number of crack, cocaine, meth, and heroin deaths combined were even 20 percent of the deaths due to cigarette and alcohol addictions.

Maybe you're wanting to argue that hard drugs would be a bigger problem if they were legal, but that's not what you're saying here.
LadyX
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:40:26 AM

Jacknife wrote:

By the same token I have no sympathy for addicts who have got themselves hooked on drugs. I drink and tried some drugs in the past, but have never been addicted to anything, yet have limited freedom of choice in what I am able to use

How do you have limited freedom of choice in terms of drugs you can take?