Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Poll Question : Is there an alternative?
Choice Votes Statistics
yes 7 58 %
no 5 41 %

Where would we be without religion? Options · View
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:08:18 AM

..it is true that religion served as a beacon in a time-sea of darkness (notice th' past tense); i acknowledge and respect its function in bringing us here.. I just think that, with the way things are unfolding, maybe it's time to search for new paradigms..?

grommit

"keep you doped with religion and sex and TeeVee
and you think y're so clever, and classless, and free
but y're still fucking peasants
as far as i can see"

-John Lennon 197o
"Working Class Hero"
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:04:39 PM

"Could we muster enough goodness without religion to survive with dignity?"

Yes.

Once we are able to relieve ourselves of the burden that myths have placed on our psyche and thoughts, we will be able to occupy our minds with much more worthy mental endeavours. We will one day know that beauty, kindness, creation, and all things divine are already within us, even though, through our human history, there are those that have subscribed to more primitive existences. However, this is just part of evolution. We are learning what is good, is right, and what does work, and does not work. I don't think it's a question of where would we be without religion, it's more of a question for future progress to ask where can we go without it?

We have seen how religion has caused blood shed, and continues to do so, all in the name of the father/creator, depending on whose your daddy. We have seen how, in many cases, it is an instrument used to ostracize fellow human beings. To this day it is used to keep us from progressing as a society. I believe that as long as we keep believing in myths, we will continue to ask where would we be, instead of where can we go, what is the next step, how much more can we learn. Again, the more things that science teaches us, and common sense teaches us for that matter, there are many who will stay progress in the interest of belief rather than knowing.

Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:21:09 PM

According to Family Guy (yes, i went there), we would be over a thousand years into the future technologically, and even the "least attractive" girls would be considered total babes by our culture.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:00:14 AM

eiotis123 wrote:
I believe that as long as we keep believing in myths, we will continue to ask where would we be, instead of where can we go, what is the next step, how much more can we learn. Again, the more things that science teaches us, and common sense teaches us for that matter, there are many who will stay progress in the interest of belief rather than knowing.

Is it possible that there are certain (hard) truths, hiding behind the myths? What is a myth, after all? Have you ever given any cycles of your brain to investigate anything which could be considered - mythical?

Or would that be a wasted exercise in brain activity and foolish misspent thought?

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:53:20 PM

Myth: "a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature."

Myth: "A person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence."

Hard truths are not synonymous with myths. However, there has been a need, or even an evolutionary purpose behind belief in such myths. As the species evolves and gains more knowledge (albeit some may find such knowledge to be the workings of the devil) we are able to slowly unravel some of the mysteries that created historical myths. All mysteries have not been explained yet, but leaning on the church/synagogue/mosque pillars, while sometimes chained to it, will not allow progression at a speedy pace to find out more. More, without the shadings of mysticism.

I have wasted time in speaking to men of the cloth. From the Presbyterian minister who I listened to for debate classes throughout my college tenure (since he was a great orator and debater), to my grand fathers first cousin who was the village priest, and heads of monasteries throughout my travels in Greece, and the current local Baptist's who I argue with on a weekly basis. I had and continue to routinely seek out the varying points. In summation, none have given me the confidence, security, and peace that comes with not believing.

Both sides have merit, since both have questions yet to be answered, yet religion and belief in higher powers does not trump for me. However, both sides create a continuity in the thought process for now, and the move toward a higher understanding. Giving credit solely on the basis of conjecture is ridiculous, but we are faced with this simplistic argument on a daily basis, and sometimes without question. And it is with those questions, with the continued labor of looking outside of the comforting thought of a higher power and religion, and facing the fact that we are that insignificant in the terms of the vast multitudes of universes, that we can strive toward a more significant realization than whether or not Jesus is magic.
myself
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:40:12 PM

I haven't been able to cast a vote in the poll Is There An Alternative To Religion because I'm not sure what religion is despite the definition. And, is this the final numbers for the poll?

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.