Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The artificial marijuana uproar. Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 8:00:13 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,140
Location: United States
Should lawmakers ban this increasingly popular — and reportedly dangerous — legal marijuana substitute?

Quote:
Federal and state authorities are decrying a new — and entirely legal — hallucinogen called "K2" that's causing disturbing side effects among its mostly teenage users. Sold online and in head shops as "legal synthetic pot," the mysterious herb-blend (coated with a manmade chemical similar to THC) delivers an intense high and mild hallucinations, but — warn doctors — can also cause "severe agitation," elevated heart rate, and seizures. Kansas and Missouri are already moving to outlaw K2, but — as more states legalize medical marijuana — does it make sense for governments to spend money banning a pot substitute?


It's a given that pot is against the law most places. Whether it should be or not is NOT the point of this thread. Some bright chemists have come up with a (so far) legal synthetic substitute for THC, which is soaked into a blend of herbs and smoked. Results vary; some people that don't get a thing from it, and some get put into the hospital from it. My question for the Lush Hive Mind is simple: Given the unknown quality of this synthetic pot, and the unpredictable effects on it's users, should it's manufacture and sale be made illegal?

Guest
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 10:49:04 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
In all honesty, I really don't have any problem with this product - I actually just looked at a website selling it, and they can't sell it to me, because I'm in Kentucky. It may be legal to own and consume here, but I can't get it online. I generally don't have a problem with pot, either. That is, as long as people keep it to themselves - I just don't want to know about it.

I don't see any point in outlawing it. Tax it, sell it like cigarettes - whatever. It's not worth trying to ban it.
Guest
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 11:45:55 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
ive always said...lets turn the tobacco crops into marijuana crops. *poof* no more deficit ;)
LadySharon
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:18:55 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2007
Posts: 2,106
Location: The Tundra, United States
Legalize it. That's all I got to say on the matter.

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Latest poem, Longing, is out now!

College Sex:



New story now available!
DirtyMartini
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:17:32 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,779
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
I believe the only way for us to make an intelligent, informed decision on the matter is to sit around and try it...otherwise we'd all be giving an opinion on something we don't really understand...
Agreed? So, whose house is the party going to be at???


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:32:52 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,871
Location: California
DirtyMartini wrote:
I believe the only way for us to make an intelligent, informed decision on the matter is to sit around and try it...otherwise we'd all be giving an opinion on something we don't really understand...
Agreed? So, whose house is the party going to be at???


Shiiiiiiiit, cruise on over....

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot this was the fake weed thread... Carry on.



WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:02:30 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,282
Location: Cakeland, United States
shooterx wrote:
In all honesty, I really don't have any problem with this product

I don't see any point in outlawing it. Tax it, sell it like cigarettes - whatever. It's not worth trying to ban it.


You may or may not be able to read the article below (it may require you to create an account - the bastards!). You're not smoking organic chemical compounds, as you would with real marijuana. You'd be inhaling chemicals, similar in their toxicity to those used to create meth.

The fake pot - smokeable plant leaves coated with chemicals -

The fake pot - smokeable plant leaves coated with chemicals - has been the target
of lawmakers and law enforcement around the country. At least 15 states have
moved to regulate or ban one or more of the chemicals, as have some European
and Scandinavian countries.

The man who created three of the chemicals as part of his government-sponsored
research nearly 20 years ago said, "They are dangerous and anyone who uses them is stupid."

John W. Huffman, a retired organic chemistry researcher from Clemson University,
said in a telephone interview from his Sylva, N.C., home, "They seem to be pretty toxic."


He said the reported medical problems have included overdoses, cases of addiction and even suicide.


Step right up for your Darwin Award!


If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:35:31 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,237
Location: West Coast
I don't understand the logic of creating something synthetic and chemical to replace something natural.

Legalities aside, the likelihood you will get busted for smoking a joint is pretty slim. People smoke it (discreetly) on patios and in front of bars, restaurants and clubs all the time.

I guess sniffing glue is legal too, but would you really want to try it just because you can?

I doubt this substance will find its popularity unless, as WMM mentions, it morphs into some other kind of drug high altogether and then it might find a following (similar to the Salvia drug trend). The people who will try these drugs are younger kids that aren't well connected with proper drug dealers and will opt for whatever they can get their hands on. I guess it sure beats chugging cough medicine. happy8


WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:40:57 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,282
Location: Cakeland, United States
Dancing_Doll wrote:
I don't understand the logic of creating something synthetic and chemical to replace something natural.

I guess it sure beats chugging cough medicine. happy8


This all natural too. Almost free - and you can brew your own.

I think I'll pass.




If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:43:47 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,779
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
Magical_felix wrote:
DirtyMartini wrote:
I believe the only way for us to make an intelligent, informed decision on the matter is to sit around and try it...otherwise we'd all be giving an opinion on something we don't really understand...
Agreed? So, whose house is the party going to be at???


Shiiiiiiiit, cruise on over....

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot this was the fake weed thread... Carry on.


Yeah, after reading a bit more I think we should skip that experiment and stick with the real thing...

I do want to move to Dancing_Doll's neighborhood though...a party on every porch, in front of every bar...hmmm...
Sounds like a nice vacation spot...


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

myself
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:18:19 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
They sold the stuff for less than six months here on the MS coast and then made it illegal in these counties. Don't know if it's legal anywhere else in the state right now. We smoked some because he was job hunting and would have to pass a drug test. I liked it OK. Of course we were a little worried about the affects but smoked it anyway.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:34:31 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
This is the grandpa I want. evil4 Only 6 ounces this time. Last time was 1.5 pounds I think.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/27/singer-willie-nelson-arrested-on-pot-charges/?iref=allsearch
myself
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:36:14 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
chefkathleen wrote:
This is the grandpa I want. evil4 Only 6 ounces this time. Last time was 1.5 pounds I think.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/27/singer-willie-nelson-arrested-on-pot-charges/?iref=allsearch


bummer


Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:44:00 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,140
Location: United States
myself wrote:
They sold the stuff for less than six months here on the MS coast and then made it illegal in these counties. Don't know if it's legal anywhere else in the state right now. We smoked some because he was job hunting and would have to pass a drug test. I liked it OK. Of course we were a little worried about the affects but smoked it anyway.



The main reason I brought this up was simply because of the availability of this toxic shit. I live in a mostly suburban area that borders on rural. All of the homes sit on a minimum of an acre, with many sitting on five or ten acres. There are more clandestine pot patches here than you can shake a stick at - the police really have no way to find them or burn them. Despite this, you can go into any local gas station and behind the counter you'll find a whole rack devoted to these artificial products. I was waiting in line to pay for a fill up recently, and half the customers in front of me walked out with one or more of these little pouches of chemical romance. Not young kids, either, but grown men and women. Now I'll be the first to admit that none of these customers looked as if they ran Fortune 500 companies, but still...



Dancing_Doll wrote:
Legalities aside, the likelihood you will get busted for smoking a joint is pretty slim. People smoke it (discreetly) on patios and in front of bars, restaurants and clubs all the time.

I guess sniffing glue is legal too, but would you really want to try it just because you can?


Down here, huffing is illegal, and people get busted for minuscule quantities of pot all the time. What would you say if you knew (or found out) a coworker, a friend, or a relative was a habitual user of this shit? Would it affect your opinion of them? Would it be different than if they were a habitual pot smoker, or a habitual drunk?

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:41:54 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,237
Location: West Coast
MrNudiePants wrote:
[

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Legalities aside, the likelihood you will get busted for smoking a joint is pretty slim. People smoke it (discreetly) on patios and in front of bars, restaurants and clubs all the time.

I guess sniffing glue is legal too, but would you really want to try it just because you can?


Down here, huffing is illegal, and people get busted for minuscule quantities of pot all the time. What would you say if you knew (or found out) a coworker, a friend, or a relative was a habitual user of this shit? Would it affect your opinion of them? Would it be different than if they were a habitual pot smoker, or a habitual drunk?


Given that glue is not a controlled substance, I assume the only way to get busted is if someone actually catches you in the act of huffing? So it's the 'act of getting high' that is illegal, and not the actual substance you are using to obtain the high, right? That must be hard to regulate. Would chugging cough syrup be considered illegal as well?

I know of habitual pot smokers that are highly functioning members of society (no pun intended). A few are close friends. They work hard, making 6 figure salaries (with one making 7 figures). When they come home or feel like partying, pot is usually part of their game, and I know a couple that smoke it every night. That may be outside the norm, but no, it wouldn't negatively affect my opinion of them. My feeling is as long as you can handle whatever you imbibe on, then it's up to the individual user. I would dislike a "drunk", but if someone was in the habit of having a few drinks every night, I certainly wouldn't judge them on it. It's the same with pot. My opinion is only affected when someone starts acting like an idiot because of substance abuse. I don't think it's a healthy lifestyle, and it might affect how often I'd want to be around them at some point, but I only judge behaviour, and to each his own.

If I had a friend or relative that got completely stoned or wasted every single night, then yes... I'd be concerned. But the majority of users aren't doing it to totally obliterate themselves.




MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:59:27 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,140
Location: United States
Dancing_Doll wrote:

Given that glue is not a controlled substance, I assume the only way to get busted is if someone actually catches you in the act of huffing? So it's the 'act of getting high' that is illegal, and not the actual substance you are using to obtain the high, right? That must be hard to regulate. Would chugging cough syrup be considered illegal as well?

I know of habitual pot smokers that are highly functioning members of society (no pun intended). A few are close friends. They work hard, making 6 figure salaries (with one making 7 figures). When they come home or feel like partying, pot is usually part of their game, and I know a couple that smoke it every night. That may be outside the norm, but no, it wouldn't negatively affect my opinion of them. My feeling is as long as you can handle whatever you imbibe on, then it's up to the individual user. I would dislike a "drunk", but if someone was in the habit of having a few drinks every night, I certainly wouldn't judge them on it. It's the same with pot. My opinion is only affected when someone starts acting like an idiot because of substance abuse. I don't think it's a healthy lifestyle, and it might affect how often I'd want to be around them at some point, but I only judge behaviour, and to each his own.

If I had a friend or relative that got completely stoned or wasted every single night, then yes... I'd be concerned. But the majority of users aren't doing it to totally obliterate themselves.



Not really talking about people that regularly smoke weed. Talking more about if that person decided to make a habit out of using this artificial crap. Who knows what the long-term effects of it's use will be?

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:08:33 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,237
Location: West Coast
MrNudiePants wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:

Given that glue is not a controlled substance, I assume the only way to get busted is if someone actually catches you in the act of huffing? So it's the 'act of getting high' that is illegal, and not the actual substance you are using to obtain the high, right? That must be hard to regulate. Would chugging cough syrup be considered illegal as well?

I know of habitual pot smokers that are highly functioning members of society (no pun intended). A few are close friends. They work hard, making 6 figure salaries (with one making 7 figures). When they come home or feel like partying, pot is usually part of their game, and I know a couple that smoke it every night. That may be outside the norm, but no, it wouldn't negatively affect my opinion of them. My feeling is as long as you can handle whatever you imbibe on, then it's up to the individual user. I would dislike a "drunk", but if someone was in the habit of having a few drinks every night, I certainly wouldn't judge them on it. It's the same with pot. My opinion is only affected when someone starts acting like an idiot because of substance abuse. I don't think it's a healthy lifestyle, and it might affect how often I'd want to be around them at some point, but I only judge behaviour, and to each his own.

If I had a friend or relative that got completely stoned or wasted every single night, then yes... I'd be concerned. But the majority of users aren't doing it to totally obliterate themselves.



Not really talking about people that regularly smoke weed. Talking more about if that person decided to make a habit out of using this artificial crap. Who knows what the long-term effects of it's use will be?


I don't see it as necessarily that much different than any of the other chemical drugs out there... The long term side effects might be significant, or they may not be. I think I'd have the same opinion of them if they were using "faux marijuana" to get high as if they were using an illegal substance. Actually that's not true... I'd probably have a lower opinion of them for thinking this was the "smarter" option just because it was legal.


scooter
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:54:43 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/24/2010
Posts: 2,689
Location: Ohio
LittleMissBitch wrote:
ive always said...lets turn the tobacco crops into marijuana crops. *poof* no more deficit ;)


Yeah,,,,up in smoke!



I couldn't have said it better myself,,,miss littleWhistle
Butterfly
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:15:53 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/21/2008
Posts: 1,238
Location: fluttering about
Dancing_Doll wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:

Given that glue is not a controlled substance, I assume the only way to get busted is if someone actually catches you in the act of huffing? So it's the 'act of getting high' that is illegal, and not the actual substance you are using to obtain the high, right? That must be hard to regulate. Would chugging cough syrup be considered illegal as well?

I know of habitual pot smokers that are highly functioning members of society (no pun intended). A few are close friends. They work hard, making 6 figure salaries (with one making 7 figures). When they come home or feel like partying, pot is usually part of their game, and I know a couple that smoke it every night. That may be outside the norm, but no, it wouldn't negatively affect my opinion of them. My feeling is as long as you can handle whatever you imbibe on, then it's up to the individual user. I would dislike a "drunk", but if someone was in the habit of having a few drinks every night, I certainly wouldn't judge them on it. It's the same with pot. My opinion is only affected when someone starts acting like an idiot because of substance abuse. I don't think it's a healthy lifestyle, and it might affect how often I'd want to be around them at some point, but I only judge behaviour, and to each his own.

If I had a friend or relative that got completely stoned or wasted every single night, then yes... I'd be concerned. But the majority of users aren't doing it to totally obliterate themselves.



Not really talking about people that regularly smoke weed. Talking more about if that person decided to make a habit out of using this artificial crap. Who knows what the long-term effects of it's use will be?


I don't see it as necessarily that much different than any of the other chemical drugs out there... The long term side effects might be significant, or they may not be. I think I'd have the same opinion of them if they were using "faux marijuana" to get high as if they were using an illegal substance. Actually that's not true... I'd probably have a lower opinion of them for thinking this was the "smarter" option just because it was legal.


The whole 'pull' with this crap is the fact that it can be used legally, in most places, and on top of that, some forms of it are undetectable via urinalysis which, of course, is gonna be smiled upon by folks that wanna get high yet keep their jobs (when said jobs piss test that is) and not have to deal with the whole detox process each time a piss test comes around. And yeah, the younger crowd, if they're able to get their hands on some, will certainly try testing out the effects of it, that's just a given....unfortunately.

As with any drug/drink/food...whatever you imbibe or consume you have to use a modicum of self control and not do too much of anything in one sitting. I have a bro-in-law who regularly uses that crap, because he can't smoke pot, and he seems to suffer no ill effects from it (in his late 30's and fairly healthy overall as far as I know). Swears by it actually. Doesn't mean I'm gonna run out and try the junk...cause in my honest opinion, it is just that...JUNK. How it seems to be affecting some people in an adverse way and not others, who knows why??

I for one wouldn't want my kid(s), once they're of age, getting hold of any of this shit and trying it. Rather 'em smoke the real deal if they're gonna go that route.

~ by the way, I'm not completely sure if I used affects/effects/affected/effected in the proper forms throughout this post...I have quite a nice alcohol induced buzz going on and really don't care at the moment lol. ;-P. Just saying ~
obscura
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:33:35 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/10/2010
Posts: 143
Location: Zef Side
I was sitting back after work the other morning having staff drinks and passing around a joint, and some guy pulled out some of this synthetic cannabis shit. I think this particular one was called 'Spice' or 'Space', available at your local hemp store down at Cosmic Corner, hidden under the guise 'herbal incense', with the handy smallprint stating it is best smoked in a pipe or joint. So of course we roll a joint of it and pass it around. So I took a drag, and it tastes like burnt rubber and has this awful harsh smell. Didn't feel anything. Took another drag, reluctantly. And then another because, well, we're all curious by nature. Nothing happened until, bam!, about 30 minutes later when I needed to go to bed and it took hold. Things got louder including the dialogue in my head, colours got brighter, and apparently I got rather paranoid and questioned anything/everything. And worst of all, this lasted for hours and hours afterward.

This stuff does not replicate the effects of marijuana at all (in my case at least). The dosages vary wildly and it takes a long time to take affect thus how does one know when to stop smoking it? It feels as synthetic as it is. I wouldn't smoke it again if someone paid me.

I'm sure that, at least in NZ, it will be properly reviewed when someone finally dies because of it.

Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.