Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Would you take the cash? Options · View
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:38:50 PM

"Distasteful" as in morally repugnant, no way. For example, to my way of thinking any sane person who has children of their own simply could not get their head around incest themes. Somehow I'd keep identifying with my own relationship with my children, and frankly that is so incongruous with incest that I'd find the whole idea disturbing.

As in "not my thing", maybe just too taboo - probably not for the money or to be published, but the concept of trying to create a convincing sympathetic character based around such a theme could be interesting as an experiment if nothing more. I doubt if the creator of Hannibal Lektor was really into cannibalism, but I think he pulled off a masterstroke in creating such a character, and making him almost sexy. But I think that that has more to do with literary creation than what the OP is asking, a straight monetary incentive. I wouldn't, and I think it is hypothetical anyway because I wouldn't be able to do the story justice.
LadySharon
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 7:34:26 AM

I would take the cash, but if it means compromising my integrity and morals, I would have to say no.

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Look for the eBook version of Roommates with Benefits to come soon!
peachbuta
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:55:49 AM

I'd be upfront with them, telling them that it's really not my cup of tea but I'll write something in that genre and see if it's a worthy story. If it's publishable, then I'd take the cash. If it wasn't, I'd thank them for the challenge.
pleasuregiver9876
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:04:03 AM

I have a hard time writing stories about what I like I don't think I could write about something I don't like.
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:38:05 AM

If i were a writer i would. In this economy you do what you have to do to eat and have a place to live
Coco
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:58:40 AM

I'm living pretty good right now, so no I'll leave the cash. In addition, my intention when I started writing wasn't for publishing & I am quite happy to remain an amateur.

firefytr31
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:56:24 AM

Personally I do not think that a good true writer would be able to write a good story if they do not have a passion. So the publisher would not be getting the talent the writer has.
charmbrights
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:37:13 AM

This is an interesting question. All 18 of my novels are BDSM and none would be acceptable on Lush.

HOWEVER, I have never even spanked anyone (not even one of my kids) let alone whipped, tied up, etc., nor had any desire to do so.

So, marketing policy and personal predilections can easily be separated, for me at least.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
clum
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:12:33 AM

I'd probably take the cash. I don't think there's one genre that I dislike enough to say no.

However, as a few people have said before, I probably wouldn't produce my best work if I was being made to write about, for instance, lesbianism* and so how long I would keep the job is another question.

*Note, I do not "detest" lesbianism, I'm just not comfortable writing about it.

The lion is most lionlike when he roars.
DLizze
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:57:53 AM

There was a time, when I was younger, that I thought there'd be nothing better than to be paid to do something I ;liked. SO I became a musician in the Navy. After fouir years of performing on demand, I packedup my instruments, and did not touch them for six months.
WHen I graduated from college, I was lookign for work, and found nothing in my field. I liked working on cars, so I took a position working as an automobile mechanic. After four years of doing it for a living, I HATED working on cars.
Fourteen years later, after I earned my license as a professional engineer, I thought there'd be nothing better than to do nothing but design storm water mnagement facilities, because I really liked doing that. I worked for ten years, doing nothing but that. Being laid off was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I write for fun. So, no, I would not take the cash.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
seaking621
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:14:19 AM

if im being paid to write about a subject that may be distastfulto me i would certainly reserch it and approach it as a job ...does a war reporter have to like the war before they write about it ..same thing
poizenivy
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:31:59 PM

I write some pretty gruesome horror stories but there are somethings I won't write about. If I can't stand to read I won't be able to write about it.

Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. "Yes" is the answer. ~Swami X