Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

how free are religious people? Options · View
Jacknife
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:21:38 AM

Muslim model to represent UK

Interesting story I read. I wouldn't have said you could have got bigots, feminists and religious nut jobs to agree on one issue. I have been proved very much wrong!!!

if you are from the UK, what do you think of her possibly representing in a global competition?

Should a persons religion dictate what they are allowed to do in a free society? obviously a Jewish pig farmer wouldn't be that common.
MinaMiranda
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:37:50 PM

But religion always HAS done so.

Ultimately though, it is up to the individual concerned because only they know what their religion means to them and how they interpret it, and how they deal with the reaction from their religious community.

I think the real undercurrent to this and all such debates is that dogma cannot be adaptable, it is a set belief, that if changed or progressed destroys the entire religion itself, the belief will have ceased to be.

Stock answer to most forum questions:
Some do, Some don't

Love blindsides us all.
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:24:19 PM

We formally had a young lady on here, like Voldemort, "a name that shall not be uttered." She ascribed to holy leanings, whilst being a "Slut" and a hopeful in the arena of "Adult" entertainment. My response, "Jackass."

Would I ever want my daughter in such competition, even though she will never endure such hasty remark, NO!

A woman, in my opinion, and in this day and age, can ascribe to much loftier goals, with which to make a similar point. Should Muslim women be subjected to such ill will, NO! However, you can, as Women, make a better point in another forum, and no, I am not talking about the Think Tank, jackass.

As for the question of "another's religion", I say, religion is but a means in which women are kept held.

Sorry, but religion is not fair, with most issues, especially women's issues.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:01:09 PM

Jacknife wrote:
Muslim model to represent UK

Interesting story I read. I wouldn't have said you could have got bigots, feminists and religious nut jobs to agree on one issue. I have been proved very much wrong!!!

if you are from the UK, what do you think of her possibly representing in a global competition?

Should a persons religion dictate what they are allowed to do in a free society? obviously a Jewish pig farmer wouldn't be that common.

Well, she's quite beautiful, that much is for certain. And it appears she's certainly qualified to be in the running. In my opinion, the religious aspect of this affair is something that should be left entirely between her, her family, and her own religious leaders. I have no opinion as to whether it's right or wrong, not do I have any opinion as to whether it's an affront to Islam. I feel the same way about most any other question regarding the intersection of religious and secular lifestyles. It's between you and God, babe. Or in this case, it's between you and Allah. My understanding has always been that Allah is not a very forgiving deity, but I could be wrong.

scooter
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 9:41:11 PM

It all depends on whether you worship hogs or not jackknife,
Some folks won't eat a hog,
Pesonally,, I love bacon
cokeheadbarbie
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:06:00 AM

She needs to wear a bikini or she shouldnt be aloud to compete. Thats the rules of the Miss Universe competition and if she cant wear a bikini wether its because of her religion or because she has cellulite on her arse then too bad imo. Giggles. How can the judges be able to compare her to another girl who isn't contained by the way she has to dress? She's one sexy bird but I think in this case she has to choose between her religion and the pageant and in todays word the pageant should ace over religion because being Miss Universe is one of the best things that could happen to a girl with all the oppurtunities it brings!

So if your talking about opinion of another UK girl here then I can say that we are shortchanged by our representation in the Miss Universe pageant. If you cant compete totally then dont enter the contest!!! Its not fair to the other girls who work so hard for the chance at the crown!

xx B.
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:02:41 PM

She should be smart and pick the right religion! She can wear the bikini and confess afterwards! Say some hail marys and problem solved!
Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:53:01 PM

They won't re-write the laws of religion. They will simply interpret them differently. It's already happening in many places. Where I grew up there are Mennonites who interpret the bible to mean that they can't have cars, some who interpret it that they can only have black cars and black clothing, some who can have any car, but their women must wear dresses and keep their hair in a bun, and then some who you could not physically distinguish from an atheist.

The interpretations change with time. As society advances, the church must determine how a 2000 year old book relates to the new advances. I've even heard arguments of late that the christian belief on sex outside of marriage was more about not creating a whole bunch of children with different partners, and with birth control, it's more morally acceptable to do it, though you should still be in a committed relationship. Not sure that belief will ever become common place, but it is still out there.

The further we advance from the times that these religious texts were written, the more we have to debate about whether the lessons were to be taken literally, or more as allegorical tales, teaching more theoretical ideas than practical instructions.
cokeheadbarbie
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:03:29 AM

Truly if all religions could just be reinterpreted we would all be closer to world peace. I love this idea and we should champion for more reinterpretations where we can.

xx B.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:22:33 AM

It's the people that "reinterpret" their religion that gives us suicide bombers, gynecologist snipers, and the whole "God hates fags" crew.

Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 12:03:50 PM

Religion is a thin surface veneer which hardly makes any difference too the true self when the chips are down.
ArtMan
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 12:42:04 PM

I doubt a world free of religion would be any more peaceful than the one we have now. Mao Zedung and Joseph Stalin were athiests and look at how many millions of people they exterminated. Hitler had very vague and weak religious ideas, except was he willing for propaganda purposes to sell himself as a new Christ.

Power and economics is what people fight wars over. Religion is what they have often used as their excuse. And it has made a good motivation for the masses. But if you look at every war, the winner gains power, both political and economic.

How free are religious people? That completely depends upon the individual person.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

hobbhorn
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 8:58:24 PM

I agree with those who suggest that how free a religious person is can only be determined by that person. Freedom, after all, is a state of mind. I think some folks find religion gives them their freedom; my observation is their so called freedom is within the "box" or "fences" of their particular religion's dogma and they would never even dream of thinking outside of that box... but they are happy and feel free. those are the ones who are true to their religion. Many others are complete hypocrits when it comes to their religion although I'm sure they wouldn't agree with me...
clum
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:29:29 AM

ArtMan wrote:
How free are religious people? That completely depends upon the individual person.

And also on the religion, I guess. "Religious people" is incredibly broad.

I feel incredibly free and I can imagine nothing but support from my religious community if I was up for representing the UK in Miss Universe. I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones...

Every day is a school day.
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:52:11 AM

I think 'religious people" are just as free or not as anyone else. We all have things that guide how we live our lives. Family obligations, addictions, health issues, mental issues, whatever.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates