Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Questioning authority, do you? Or do prefer to accept what you're fed/told? Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:49:45 PM

From Ben Franklin to Timothy Leary to bumper stickers, I have taken this to heart since I first heard it in the late 70s.

And I've often wondered how much I should accept as fact and how much half truth is being sold to me as full truth. Turns out, a lot of what I was taught was bullshit as is a lot of what is reported (or not reported) on the Mainstream media news channels - as well as television fare for the masses.

Like this, about the NASA Viking mission to Mars. Turns out, we're not hearing the full truth. I always thought how NASA handled the first rover mission was pretty suspect (as was their losing a couple of probes in the 1990s, at the last moment of orbital entry to the Red Planet). Now I learn that how Viking data was released to 'us'...is total malarkey.

What changes (if it's announced that NASA has found life on another planet in this solar system)? lol, just about every fucking thing, if you think about it. How much would that knowledge antagonize the world's major religions, for instance?

(spoon feeding follows for those who don't like to do their own digging)

HOW THE NASA VIKING MISSION FOUND MICROBIAL LIFE ON MARS - Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1_Gvdom2nw

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhmVDM7XII

Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5g6vnhbI70

Part 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFE1xGhe5Os

This is some pretty dry stuff, but it's worth watching...if you ever felt like you've been living like a mushroom and being fertilized with bullshit.

Can you think of any other examples where you have learned something different from the original story we've been told repeatedly.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:09:51 PM

I think there's a lot the general public could not handle if told the whole truth. Some things are better left in the closet. Aliens, the missing link, what really happens at Gitmo, etc. I think they need to dumb down some things for the sheeple.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 9:35:21 AM

I question the answers.

Beyond that though, I try to balance my distrust for authority's standard answers with the common sense understanding that not everything is a red herring for some top-secret plot to mislead the entire world. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. It's the times when I strongly suspect I'm being played for a fool that I get agitated.
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 9:53:18 AM

LadyX wrote:
I question the answers.

Beyond that though, I try to balance my distrust for authority's standard answers with the common sense understanding that not everything is a red herring for some top-secret plot to mislead the entire world. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. It's the times when I strongly suspect I'm being played for a fool that I get agitated.

My thoughts exactly.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 11:05:10 AM

I question a lot, bbuutt I dont have a burning desire to become one of the masses either. I dont go to church(I question the whole Jesus thing). I live half the year on the road, and I enjoy it. I dont lust after a big house and dont want one either. So the regular 9-5 job isnt for me. The best pat about my profession is that there is a signifigant amount of flexiblity built into it.. However, I do not relly care to een advance. I enjoy what I do and to advance would be to lose my flexibility.

Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 5:53:29 PM

LadyX wrote:
I question the answers.

Good point. I think the gen.pop. though likes to be spoon fed easy things. If they have to think to hard and make hard decisions they shit gets all blown out of proportion. I think that's why speaking in politically correct terms is so big. Keeps them focused on the easy stuff.
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:25:19 PM

I keep it as simple as knowing that I know nothing. That way, I keep looking, keep questioning, and never accept an answer that is not totally viable.
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 2:19:33 PM

Its very difficult to know what to think about any topic. I may well be that if we were born in a different country we would have a whole different outlook. Just think how peoples outlook changes when they have a close scrape with death, or lose a loved one. Our only available food is what we are fed by parents, media, friends. How can we possibly be objective in such circumstances.
Michael_X
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:08:42 PM

Of course we're not told the hole story. Normal everyday people, couldn't handle what some people are trained to do. That's why they are trained. But I also know a lot of whats going on in other countries, we arent told the whole story about either.
In a lot of cases of course people are going to question it while they are watching the news while eating dinner. But then theyll forget and go back to their lives. PLay the same thing over and over agian.
As far as not being told everything, of course not. History also shows us that, Watergates a good example. But on the other hand. People don't really care either way.

"Do you want to live to work or work to live"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

"Always hold you head up high, never come off weak"

Michael
Buz
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 9:39:33 PM

The Federal government takes us all for fools. I so am in favor of reducing their size, power and scope. With modern technology, especially the electronic media, they truly have the power to monitor our entire lives and control us.

Buz
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 9:47:27 PM

[quote=WellMadeMale][
What changes (if it's announced that NASA has found life on another planet in this solar system)? lol, just about every fucking thing, if you think about it. How much would that knowledge antagonize the world's major religions, for instance?

I don't think it would effect the world religions that much but our dumbass federal government would immediately want to send a few billion dollars in foreign aid and probably want to enter in a mutual defense treaty and build some bases there.

MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:41:01 PM

I think most of us have a general distrust in what the government tells us. That is one huge reason to protect our rights such as freedom of speech and freedom of the press.
Milik_Redman
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:17:13 AM

My basic problem with politics is that many people feel that the problem is "that other guy!"
If someone is conservative they feel that they are being threatened by government if guns are regulated or if they can't put a religious display on public land or let their kids prey in school. Then they turn around and try to tell liberals who they can marry or who they should date and what they should not read or do in bed.
Liberals are great at defending against this non sense and then act like they have some monopoly on wisdom and public safety. Don't smoke and don't eat this or that. Wear you seat belt and put your 13 year old in the car seat. Don' t drive in that empty lane cause you are alone in that car. And you should be driving a hybrid instead of that truck...
I ask who it is that has the wisdom to tell others how to live. Personally I would like to meet that person.
In my world I'll defend your crazy ass right to be stupid as long as you will defend mine. Go burn a flag and I'll paint myself green and drive my truck in the car pool lane alone. No one gets hurt.
I guess my point is that I don't trust people with power. Power is a drug and it is very addictive.

β€œIt is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

My New collaboration with Dirty _D is one I am extremely proud to offer:

hobbhorn
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 8:50:49 PM

I rarely trust what I hear from "authority" or the media unless I have some other data/inputs that make the information seem plausible. Think of anything you know a whole lot about that you've seen reported on in the media. If you know a lot you normally find out that the media has screwed it up completely. With that context I always assume that the media has probably twisted or manipulated a story so I view it for entertainment value but don't take it to the bank.
We always need to remember that we view and perceive information through our own personal lense and put what we hear in that context. We read things into comments that weren't intended and we can miss points that were intended...
ArtMan
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 9:00:10 PM

The terms liberal and conservative have no real meaning anymore as both do not at all describe the extremist fanatics in control. To give too much power to either is to trample on the rights and freedoms of another. A tight balancing act is needed there.

The federal government is a many headed monster that has grown vastly out of control. We are just living on borrowed time before that beast devours our last freedoms and rights. Do they lie to us? You know it!

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

ArtMan
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 9:00:51 PM

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx