The miracle of green tea

last reply
41 replies
6.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I've been drinking it a lot lately, it's very good for cleansing your stomach, among other things.

Here are just a few medical conditions in which drinking green tea is reputed to be helpful:

• cancer
• rheumatoid arthritis
• high cholesterol levels
• cariovascular disease
• infection
• impaired immune function

What makes green tea so special?

The secret of green tea lies in the fact it is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a powerful anti-oxidant: besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots. The latter takes on added importance when you consider that thrombosis (the formation of abnormal blood clots) is the leading cause of heart attacks and stroke.

Links are being made between the effects of drinking green tea and the "French Paradox." For years, researchers were puzzled by the fact that, despite consuming a diet rich in fat, the French have a lower incidence of heart disease than Americans. The answer was found to lie in red wine, which contains resveratrol, a polyphenol that limits the negative effects of smoking and a fatty diet. In a 1997 study, researchers from the University of Kansas determined that EGCG is twice as powerful as resveratrol, which may explain why the rate of heart disease among Japanese men is quite low, even though approximately seventy-five percent are smokers.

Why don't other Chinese teas have similar health-giving properties? Green, oolong, and black teas all come from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. What sets green tea apart is the way it is processed. Green tea leaves are steamed, which prevents the EGCG compound from being oxidized. By contrast, black and oolong tea leaves are made from fermented leaves, which results in the EGCG being converted into other compounds that are not nearly as effective in preventing and fighting various diseases.

Full article: http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Can't get enough of green tea.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Lurker
0 likes
I'm a huge fan. I swapped normal tea for it. Twinings do a multipack of flvaoured green tea. I don't really like the flavour but the addiction of cranberry or orange and lotus blossom is yummy.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm a huge fan. I swapped normal tea for it. Twinings do a multipack of flavoured green tea. I don't really like the flavour but the adding cranberry or orange and lotus blossom is yummy.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm a huge fan. I swapped normal tea for it. Twinings do a multipack of flavoured green tea. I don't really like the flavour but the adding cranberry or orange and lotus blossom is yummy.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Loislane

A Japanese friend of mine taught me how to make it properly.

Get hold of the loose leaves if you can, and buy a small teapot. I've not found teabags that are anything close to the "good" stuff.

Pour on the boiling water, and leave for no more than a minute (I normally only leave it about 30 seconds), otherwise the leaves go bitter. Drain the pot, and you can then have another one later using the same leaves. If you don't drain the pot each time, the leaves stew and taste foul.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As much of a tea drinker as I am black tea I just can't get used to green tea just never acquired the taste for it. But I do drink quarts of tea otherwise along with coffee
“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I've actually gotten more into White Tea over the past two years. It's great for the skin, less aftertaste, and has a host of health benefits. If you like green tea, you should try white tea next!

White tea is made from immature tea leaves that are picked shortly before the buds have fully opened. The tea takes its name from the silver fuzz that still covers the buds, which turns white when the tea is dried. The exact proportion of buds to leaves varies depending on the variety of white tea. For example, White Peony contains one bud for every two leaves, while Silver Needles, the crème de la crème of white teas, is made entirely from downy buds picked within a two day period in early Spring. Tea leaves destined to be sold as white tea undergo even less processing than green tea leaves. Instead of air-drying, the unwithered leaves are merely steamed.

The result? A pale tea with a sweet, silky flavor. People who have tried both note that white tea lacks the “grassy” aftertaste so often associated with green tea. Furthermore, studies indicate that white tea is better for you. Leaving tea leaves so close to their natural state means that white tea contains more polyphenols, the powerful anti-oxidant that fights and kills cancer-causing cells, than any other type of tea.

Need another reason to drink white tea? A 2004 study at Pace University concluded that white tea can help your body’s immune system fight off viruses and dangerous infection-causing bacteria. The same study concluded that fluoride-rich white tea helps prevent the growth of dental plaque, the chief cause of tooth decay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tea
http://www.whitetea.com/
Matriarch
0 likes
White tea? That's ground breaking!

I've never seen it. I'll ask about it the next time I'm in T2.
Lurker
0 likes
If you don't like the taste of tea, or the trouble to make it, or the cost of bottled tea, take green tea capsules. The same effect without the fuss or cost.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
White tea? That's ground breaking!

I've never seen it. I'll ask about it the next time I'm in T2.

It's fairly common over here. Even Lipton makes it and they're everywhere.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
I drink two or three of these a day. They are dome of the purest teas you can buy. The pure green, jasmine/green, lemongrass/green and oolong are my favorite. No sweetener or anything weird. Just tea.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
I drink two or three of these a day. They are dome of the purest teas you can buy. The pure green, jasmine/green, lemongrass/green and oolong are my favorite. No sweetener or anything weird. Just tea.

As long as you're not into that nasty Kombucha thing... that stuff is absolutely vile! A friend convinced me to try it after yoga one day.

The taste reminded me exactly of those unfortunate hangover morning prayers to the porcelain god.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I have never had that but just read what it was. Sounds sick... The picture on wikipedia looked like poopy water in a jar. Not my cup of tea at all.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
As long as you're not into that nasty Kombucha thing... that stuff is absolutely vile! A friend convinced me to try it after yoga one day.

A friend gave me a starter jar of that, it developed a thick skin on top (normal apparently). I bravely drank some of the liquid underneath, it was foul as you say. It tastes like off vinegar.

The Kombucha beverage should be regarded principally as a food unusually rich in nutritive properties, rather than just a health drink. As in
yogurt, the bacteria are a great source of nutrition, but in addition Kombucha has a wide range of organic acids, vitamins and enzymes that give
it its extraordinary value. It contains the range of B vitamins, particularly B1, B2, B6 and B12, that provide the body with energy, help to
process fats and proteins, and which are vital for the normal functioning of the nervous system. There is also vitamin C which is a potent
detoxifier, immune booster and enhancer of vitality.

I'll get my nutrients in other ways, thank you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Really like green tea, the flavoured ones can be refreshing cold
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I take 6 capsules of green tea extract daily. While I don't like the taste of tea, green tea and black currants are the only foods presently proven (there may be others) to delay the onset of Alzheimers.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I can't believe this isn't better for you than green tea.
It passes my grandmother's test that things have to taste bad to be good for you.
How much green tea does it take to make a cup of tea a person can actually taste?

"Happiness is doing it rotten your own way."Isaac Asimov (1994)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lapsang-Souchong with a nice big shot of this is really good for a cold or something. Put the whiskey in a glass with a little water, sip slowly while the Lapsang Souchong brews. Have another. Eventually you might be able to drink the tea. Who knows? I can't imagine any green tea standing up to Laphroaig.

Neither Lapsang Souchong or Laphroaig is recommended for beginners.
"Happiness is doing it rotten your own way."Isaac Asimov (1994)
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by mischiefmaker
While I don't like the taste of tea, green tea and black currants are the only foods presently proven (there may be others) to delay the onset of Alzheimers.

I didn't know that. All the more reason to drink the stuff. The Japanese swear by it.

As for Lapsang-Souchong, I love smokey flavoured tea.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
I vote for tea flavored vodka.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
I drink a fair amount of green tea, at least 4 cups daily because it speeds up metabolism and has a varity of anti-oxidants in.
I have to admit I don't really like it overall and would rather have a coffee but I do believe in its positive effects, so I carry on and suffer through it lol.
Lurker
0 likes
My dad drinks a LOT of green tea but i can't stand the taste. When i've got a cold, i'll surrender and go around so he makes me a cuppa. (Yeah, i'm too lazy to make it myself!)
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
New to forum, but isn't white tea just young green tea leaves.
Lurker
0 likes
I started drinking it about 2 weeks. I can already tell its doing me good smile My body is thanking me lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Green tea is just one of the many building blocks for a healthy diet and lifestyle. We start each day with a cup of jasmine green tea. White tea is great also, as is the many spice mixtures and fruit flavored ones, like mango, peach, raspberry and blueberry. Try to stay with certified organic (no pesticides).
Lurker
0 likes
I had my very first cup of green tea last night and it actually helped me have a good night's sleep. I like the flavour of it because it's nice and delicate. As for Lapsang Souchong, I tried it once and didn't like it, but may try it again sometime just to confirm that I don't like it. Also, I made the unfortunate mistake of trying Laphroig (if you're curious, it's pronounced la-froyg) and I could taste it for days afterwards, not what I like from my whisky, blergh!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Green tea comes a great second after Earl Grey!
This post comes to you from the original and highly disorganised mind of mine...be scared, I certainly am, lol
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SigurdOokami
Green tea comes a great second after Earl Grey!

I like Earl Grey too, but Twining's spoiled it tampering with the recipe. Anybody ever tried chai? It's got a nice wee spice to it, but my advice is to drink it with a tiny amount of milk and use brown sugar to bring out the spice.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Green tea with fresh mint leaves, and none of those tea bags or bottled made up stuff - get decent leaves, make it properly, and enjoy the colour, the scent and the flavour.

Lapsong is good too, and the smokiness can be very sensual.