Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should gay men be allowed to donate blood? Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:23:14 PM

So I guess we do go with, seems gay?
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:56:54 PM

eviotis wrote:
So I guess we do go with, seems gay?

I think so. I'd also love to see the parameters checklist for "seems gay".

Quote:
Ensure that at least two of these apply:

a) talks faggy
b) wears a brightly-colored tank top
c) knows who Andrew Lloyd Webber is
d) can't name the starting lineup of the Yankees
e) responds negatively to "hey queer"

Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:20:19 PM

Who are the Yankees?
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 9:59:46 AM

yes they should whoever thought up that rule is a fucking dick. Anybody should be able to give blood.
rxtales
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 11:06:24 AM

sluttyvirgin wrote:
yes they should whoever thought up that rule is a fucking dick. Anybody should be able to give blood.

Well maybe not just anybody...
Mazza
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:31:43 PM

So I was looking for a thread about donating blood and this seemed as good a one as any...

I got an invite to go back and donate blood again next week. However, it coincides with the day that I'm booked in to get more tattoo work done.

I called the blood people and explained, so that I could organise an earlier appointment, given that there is a certain amount of time in which you're not allowed to give blood after such things. So that's fine, I'm going a couple days early. The woman told me I'd then have to then wait a year after tattooing. This is incorrect, one only has to wait four months now, so if you do get a tattoo and give blood before hand, then you're not far off the 12 week wait anyway. (presumably they are pretty desperate for blood)

I already knew that I was A positive (which is the second most common type, after O, so presumably more people will need it, based on numbers alone)

But I also discovered that I am CMV negative, which is apparently fairly uncommon and means that my blood can be given to newborns, transplant patients and people with suppressed immune systems.

CMV negative blood

Anyway, I'm glad that getting tattooed won't stop me from giving blood for long and I'm delighted to know that my blood can help anyone who needs it!!

If you don't give blood, but could, please consider it. It's not sore, doesn't take long and I personally think it's a good thing to do if you can!

For the record, I agree with what everyone has been saying above - sexuality is no reason to preclude someone from giving blood.

Sermon over and thanks for listening!! :)
asleep
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:29:04 PM

Thanks, MAZZA, for your comments and reminder about giving blood. I, too, am A+...but did not know where that type stood in the rankings. I am on a few medicines now that I think would preclude me from giving...but I did years ago on a fairly regular basis and several times when I was called. My first blood donation, I was a teenager and had to get parent's signature. Mother was not able to give for medical reasons, but knew her blood type to be A+. Facility had called for Dad, but he was outta town. I volunteered...and with note from Mother giving permission...was in process of giving within 90 minutes.

AMEN... to your sermon!!
(keep your nips covered so they don't freeze and fall off!)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

Buz
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:38:27 PM

Anyone who has good disease free blood should be able to donate it. It is needed.

You might also consider giving platelets. It takes much longer but there are a lot of people in need.

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

Sweet_N_Naughty
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:04:02 PM

Anybody should be able to give blood....once they can give
Highwayman
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:10:37 PM

Well, no, not really. If you are gay, and have no diseases, or straight and have no diseases, or whatever category others may put you into, yet...have no diseases, then knock your socks off.

Personally, I had hepatitis B around 11 - 13 years of age. Physicians tell me not to donate because it can be passed on, I am a carrier. I know this and don't donate.

However, the blood suckers continuously give me the "Bless you" or "You're a mean one Mr. Grinch" look when I tell them..."I can't."

Funny that they would probably run away if I told them I was gay (and there's nothing wrong with that, i have many friends that are gay), yes, that was intended to be sarcastic. But, after being verbally berated on a few occasions, I have given up my HIPPA rights and told them, I had hepatitis and physicians have told me not to donate blood. To which, they say, "Oh, I don't think that's right."

Kinda like TSA dickwads, we need to employ, and utilize more depth in some endeavors. Stop berating, and stereo typing others. Especially ones that care and can help.

‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:26:39 PM

Sure, why not?
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:37:00 PM

FYI these are the exclusions in Australia. Maybe the rules are harsh to some, but if this prevents another from becoming infected with a disease, then I can see the point.

03Under what circumstances can I not give blood?
Unfortunately, you can never give blood if:
You are HIV positive
You have hepatitis B
You have or have had hepatitis C
You have ever injected yourself or been injected with drugs not prescribed by a doctor or dentist (even if this was only once)
You will not be able to give blood if, in the past 12 months, you have/or had:
Oral or anal sex with another man, even ‘safer sex’ using a condom (if you are a man)
Sex with a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (if you are a woman)
Sex with a partner who has HIV or hepatitis C
Sex with a partner who has hepatitis B, unless you have been vaccinated and/or are immune on our testing
Sex with a partner who has ever injected themselves with drugs not prescribed by a doctor or dentist
Sex with a male or female sex worker
A blood transfusion, excluding transfusions of your own blood
Hepatitis or been in close contact with someone with hepatitis
Been in prison
Sex with anyone who lives in, or has come from, a country considered to have a high rate of HIV infection.
Highwayman
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:44:37 PM

I say we just hook up the whole Royal family of England and drain them slowly. We will know if "pure blood" and they'll actually be good for something.

‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
Mazza
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 2:21:05 AM

Highwayman wrote:
I say we just hook up the whole Royal family of England and drain them slowly. We will know if "pure blood" and they'll actually be good for something.

This piqued my interest, so I googled:

Quote:
The British Royal Family have been known to donate blood. There is no ban on them donating blood, and in the past, Princes Charles, Andrew and William have donated blood publicly during visits to hospitals and transfusion centres. Those who have served in the armed forces (Charles, Andrew, William and Harry, as well as the Queen herself during WW2) have had to give blood whilst on active service on the front line.

russ32233
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:03:03 PM

Well I assume that the blood would be checked for any diseases no matter if they are gay or straight, so I don't see any problem with it and honestly I find it amazing that these days being gay is even an issue any more...
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:11:43 PM

Well, according to the news HIV infection rates are still high among gay men. So i think it's a saftey related protocol .
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:34:04 PM

I actually started this thread, had forgotten about it. According to Livestrong, it can take anywhere between 2-12 weeks for HIV to be detectable in human blood. In some cases it may take up to six months for there to be enough HIV antibodies to be detectable in blood. A person's blood could be infected with HIV but still pass an HIV test. So there may be something to this restriction being about safety protocol. Although ANYone could be infected and not know.

According to a CBSnew report, the CDC says, Of the estimated 12,200 new HIV infections that occurred in 2010 in the 13-to-24 age group, 72 percent were in young men who have sex with men.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
LadyX
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:38:43 PM

lafayettemister wrote:
I actually started this thread, had forgotten about it. According to Livestrong, it can take anywhere between 2-12 weeks for HIV to be detectable in human blood.

Hmm. I wonder what Livestrong's stats are for detecting blood doping...
crazydiamond
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:39:55 PM

LadyX wrote:

f-hihi

lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:40:42 PM

LadyX wrote:

Probably not very good. But the info in that link was credited to the CDC if that helps any?

LadyX
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:41:40 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

Probably not very good. But the info in that link was credited to the CDC if that helps any?

LOL That's okay. I'm not that interested in that, only in taking cheap shots at Lance Armstrong every chance I get. Live strong, my ass.
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:46:03 PM

LadyX wrote:

LOL That's okay. I'm not that interested in that, only in taking cheap shots at Lance Armstrong every chance I get. Live strong, my ass.

Gotcha. Yeah, he's a prick. I just saw something about him on Showtime's 60 Minutes Sports. He's a huge bully, will be interesting to see what he tells Oprah next week.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:48:04 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

Gotcha. Yeah, he's a prick. I just saw something about him on Showtime's 60 Minutes Sports. He's a huge bully, will be interesting to see what he tells Oprah next week.

Yes. He's a piece of shit, really.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 7:58:31 PM

Okay...didn't the stone age end...

Blood saves lives no matter who it comes from.

Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:27:39 AM

Phoenix69 wrote:
Okay...didn't the stone age end...

Blood saves lives no matter who it comes from.

How do you figure that if the donor is infected? I'm all for live and let live, but given the choice of blood from a straight man or a gay one, I know I'd pick the straight one in a heartbeat.
Kinky_Becky
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:09:07 AM

The ban was placed back in 1983 when screening processes for HIV weren't as effective. While it may seem discriminatory, the simple fact that HIV risks was much higher in homosexual men and IV drug users than in the heterosexual non-user population warranted people who engaged in high risk activities. Right now, there is about a 1 in 2 million of HIV transmission, much lower than it used to be. The problem is that the government hasn't bothered to take a look at this issue. It is certainly worth another look, but I'm not an expert in HIV rates in different populations. I honestly feel it's a decision best left to them.

sprite
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:40:50 PM

Getting blood from a gay man will turn you gay *solemn nod*
Saga
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:04:18 PM

YES!!! It makes me so mad that this is not allowed in so many places. *Grumble grumble*
kylie_kained
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:32:43 PM

All Blood is screened in the U.K whatever gender which makes sense.

Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:46:24 PM

Is this even a question? I seriously hope that the thought is never in doubt. All blood is checked anyway. If people have a issues with this then they need to jump forward a couple of decades.