Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Anything good to read? Options · View
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:56:55 PM

The Testament of Gideon Mack

by James Robertson

I just reread this after a little break from my first read. I like doing that once in a while especially with a good read. I did not disappoint the second time around. II came across this book by first hearing it on a radio show that reads books of an afternoon in serial form. I was fascinated then and reading it for myself, only increased that fascination.

It is the story of a Scottish priest trying to explain the last years of his life through the reflection of it in its entirety, a near death experience the shut down from reality, meeting the devil and the ghosts of his past.

A great look at what it means to be religious and virtuous in a modern world which has left religion behind.

A good read for those that like to think. And thanks to my friend who resuggested it to me (you know who you are).
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:52:19 PM

Siddhartha By Hermann Hesse

A look at what is a spiritual life and the path to enlightenment through the eyes of an intelligent man, he follows the teachings of his father then turns to more varied forms, trying to find it in all walks of life.

Set in the time of the Buddhas awakening this is a powerful look into what enlightenment really is. A great, but short read. I love it
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:31:38 PM

I like to read biographies or history books. I have my own imagination and i don't need to use anyone elses
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:29:42 PM

The Eyre Affair

By Jasper Fforde

This book is great, that is if you like a cleverly wrtitten piss take at the classics. This book has more in jokes than can be mentioned. It takes a swipe at all things literal and doesn't hold back in it's punches.

It will make you laugh so hard you'll cry. I love this series as the humour in it makes Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams seem like they are on vallium in comparisson.

A book that has spawned 5 sequals and a spin off series all as amusing as this.

Now it follows an alternative Earth where things are strangly similar but not. This book will take a swipe at time paradoxes, vampires, evil corporation conspirocies, clonnig of animals and probably a few more things I can't even begin to mention right now.

Thursday Next leads us on an adventure to try and find Jane Eyre as she has been stolen from her book and held to ransom. She has a father on the run from the TimeGuard while conducting a one man crusade to make time take its correct course. The man she loves is going to marry another woman and she is late on her rent again.

Trust me when I say this book is a hoot and you will laugh at loud so much that you will always have a seat to yourself on a crowded bus.

I admit that I love this series and it is one of the most clever and original series of books I have read in a long time. A definate for my all time top 5 reads on a deserted island, etc.

Read it and enjoy!!!!

Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:07:49 AM

I'm going to try it if its available on kindle. Is this the first in the series?
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 2:05:22 PM

Loislane wrote:
I'm going to try it if its available on kindle. Is this the first in the series?

Yep it's the first in the series and pretty sure they are all available on Kindle etc there was a note saying so on jasperfforde.com
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 2:09:21 PM

sigh wrote:

Yep it's the first in the series and pretty sure they are all available on Kindle etc there was a note saying so on jasperfforde.com

It's brilliant, I started reading it on the train. I should be finished tommorow. I love the literary references throughout. It's also quite funny. Reminds me of Terry Pratchett...
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:29:42 PM

The Nights Dawn Triology (The Relaity Dysfunction, The Neutrinan Alchymist, The Naked God)

Peter F Hamilton

Just re-read this series, it is awesome (but long). A great Sci-fi series, it follows a series of characters and shows a great cross section of the types of people in this world. Then hell comes to town. Well sort of, an alien species comes in contact with the human race and accidently causes a reality dysfunction. Allowing the dead to come back and take over the living. What will they do. Will they survive?

Hamilton makes a great series with characters that you can really feel. There is a believability about the technology. He doesn't dumb it down. To top it off it is well written and great description and dialogue through it.
I really have left it vauge as I want you to have the joy I had from my first read. I would suggest this to a lover of a horror story, a sci fi fan or anyone that needs a good meaty read.
sexyvampchick
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:15:05 AM

sigh wrote:
Hi there now I like a good read, maybe more than the next person, but at least as much as a lot of other people on here. I love being able to suggest a good read to another person and them to find a little enjoyment in it as well. As such I thought we might want to start a free for all book suggestion post. If you come across something so cool everyone really should read it, put it up here.

Now I only ask that you put in a little about the book, the Author and title. No spoilers please it's not fair. And if you disagree about a book why not write in that too!!

So here's to a long thread of awesome reads, hope we all find something great to read in here.

CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:42:28 PM

Great stuff sigh. I love the SF & Fantasy suggestions.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:46:25 PM

The Tao of Pooh

by Benjamin Hoff

This is a great read. Amusing the whole way through and a great introduction into Eastern Philosophy. It wont get bogged down in the details but gives a great beginners crash course in the understanding of Taoisim. Instead it uses the example of Winnie the Pooh as "the greatest Western Mind" and shows how he follows the same beliefs as a Taoist.

Highly suggest reading the Te of Piglett as a follow up to ths one. A great read for someone that wants something a little left field and enriching.
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 6:43:43 PM

Inside out - Maria V Snyder

Official blurb - Trella is a worker in the lower levels of Inside. No one knows what's Outside, or if there even is one, because their entire lives have always been enclosed. The Upper levels are for the privileged, and everyone else must work constantly or risk being recycled. Trella, though, has a liking for pipes, which is what connects every level of the Inside. And only she knows the ways around them. Which incidentally makes her the accidental leader of the revolution. Because now the lower levels, the scrubs, want Out.

This dystopian book is really different and Trella, the protagonist, is my favourite type of heroine, a reluctant one. I can’t give any more away but I really loved the concept of this book. What I liked most about the book is that it's hard to define its genre. She always writes such interesting characters with interesting traits.