Login

Hurricane Gustav

last reply
5 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Three years ago today, I left New Orleans for the last time, fleeing with family out of danger and into the abyss of relocation and restarting my life. As I watch this new hurricane, named for a descendant of mine, I am numb. I have to watch, but I hate everything about it. Having to watch the Bush administration get blamed for what was an in-state political catfight, I am sick in remembering those days.

Never believe the media, folks. A lot of mistakes by a lot of people, and yes, the present administration did make mistakes. But the blame lies mostly with the former governor and the mayor of New Orleans. They hated each other, and wouldn't call each other during this catastrophe. I only add this political part because I don't even want to hear any of the crap my family and I had to listen to for so long after this horrible tragedy.

My heart is aching for the people down South, having been through it with them already. When the liberal media gets involved, it becomes even more unbearable. If it hits land down there, and lives are lost, they'll find away to smear McCain with it, or even Bush (again!)

Fortunately, they have a great governor down there now, who doesn't get into jeopardizing innocent lives because of political hatred.

Now, I know we have folks here who are not from the U.S., and I know you have your own ideas about our country, and I can respect that. But if you didn't live in Louisiana or Mississippi during Hurricane Katrina, you haven't a CLUE as to the truth. Louisiana politics, folks., followed by political mudslinging. Until you've been there...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have always asked, "Why di all those busses in that parking lot, NEVER get used?"

I agree all walks were to blame.
We helped send 3 buses loads and a semi load down. We added 8 boxes or kettlecorn with 24 bags per box - and it was to go 'JUST FOR THE KIDS" and we labeled each box. Hope it got to them.

Hope you got back on your feet and are moving on with life.

Bat
Matriarch
0 likes
You guys have been ravaged by hurricanes for what seems like years to me now. I'd not really heard much about them in the US until the one 3 years ago.

Is it quite a new phenomenon having such devastating ones due to global warming, or just that they are now better reported on? Excuse my ignorance please!
Lurker
0 likes
I was very numb when I wrote that last night. I'm not feeling much better; watching the weather right now. There were many situations back then that were particular to the odd landscape that is New Orleans. Help was turned away, supplies were turned away, but it was reported with a broad-brush approach. Anyways, I wasn't trying to make this into a political rant. It was just a knee-jerk preparation since eveyone wants to bash Bush for everything.
This Hurricane Gustav has brought up old feelings of despair and angst and anger from three years ago. Today Jamaica is getting hit, and, most likely, the Gulf Coast is looking to get hit next. The tracking looks the same as Katrina did.
Lurker
0 likes
4 years ago my house and my town took 3 direct hits from hurricanes. I know what it feels like.
I also know what govmnt fuck ups are.
I also know the power of human kindness, stupidity, and greed.

Several questions I would have about NOLA would be, why,when someone tells you to evac for your saftey would you not go?

Another thought I had was if you live in a bowl, that bowl will fill with water eventually when it is beside the water.

Another thought that is actually a real memory, my husband builds bridges, roads, anything that a survey engineer is needed for. He was asked to come and help with, what was it? I-10? going into NOLA? We both at the time thought it was a great way to help. Until people came back telling him that people were getting shot on the bridges and roads.
My husband was/is a United States Marine who was in a war, was shot at, killed people and had friends die for these people in this country. There is no way in hell I was going to sit still and say, sure hon, go help them.

I'm glad you're relocated and safe ASP. I feel for you with the memories.
Matriarch
0 likes
ASp / Chef, that's a heck of an ordeal you guys have gone through.

The images are on the news even down here in the antipodes.

Stay safe folks.