What Defines Love?

last reply
33 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Somebody close to me said that Love to her, was made up of only three ingredients; Communication, Trust and Respect. Should Emotion not be an essential part of Love. We all have experienced love in its diffrent aspects in our lives. However, I need the inputs from the Greater Lush Community with all the "authority" of our most active inkslingers included as well. C'mon "Curves" this is your area of Expertise...
Lurker
0 likes
Love is everything and it is nothing. It is powerful and all consuming; yet it can be weak and fragile. Yes, it is communication, trust, respect but, it is also so very much more. Love is most definately emotion, it is an ever changing mix of all emotions. I could go on for hours and hours . . . .
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love is different to everyone. There is not one set standard that all of us must go by when it comes to love. What love means to one person, may not mean the same to the next. We are not told how to love, who to love, and where to find it. It just happens when we least expect it. Love is a combination of all things, all those you mention and more. It's a harmony that is built by the coming together of all things that two people have in life. When all the emotions, mental and physical, come together, true love is often something that cannot be broken.
"So don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
Don't lie to me,
Just get your things.
I've made up your mind."

--Evanescence
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love is relating, it is always a river, flowing, unending, Love knows no period, the honeymoon begins but never ends, it is not like a novel that starts at a certain point and ends at a certain point, it is an ongoing phenomenon, Lovers end, love continues, it is a continuum
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Love is when you can spend all day with that person, talking, laughing and still want to be together. It's when you can trust them with your life and always know that you will be ok. When you would rather not be doing anything in the world than just spending a little time together. At least thats what I say love is.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I Love to get her clothes off, does that count?
Clumeleon
0 likes
It's a most hodge-podgical, most illogical, most confusiling, most bamboozling, most bemuddling, most befuddling thing!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
"One should always be in love" said Oscar Wilde, "That is the reason one should never marry."

The essence of love is transitory, but it is no less wonderful for all that. Possibly it's fleeting nature makes it even more precious each time you stumble upon it.
“No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.”
― P.J. O'Rourke
Lurker
0 likes
Love to me is the best and worst feeling. It's knowing that someone else has your back and will be the person to pick you up when you don't have the strength to yourself
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
love is not being afraid to open yourself up to get hurt beyond your wildest imaginings.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Love is senseless. It is something inside you that if questioned almost never makes sense yet always feels right. It does not have to be persuaded nor reminded. It is something you should never have to concede or barter. It should not derive from thought, though provoke thought it will. It is something we should never think, but feel.
Lurker
0 likes
Love is subjective and different to every person...Even great poets,philosophers and writers have difficulty defining it...Mine is all about trust. I know that I'm in love or love(because this applies to friends too)when I can let someone in(which isn't very often)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think Lois and Sprite nailed it. It is all the other things mentioned above, but most important, it is a willingness to overcome fear, and to allow yourself to be vulnerable.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
0 likes
To me a defining part of "Love" is unconditional sharing, giving, and trusting each other.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To me, "true love", is realizing that you are not whole without the other person.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
when i was a teenager my girlfriend asked her dad what truelove was his answer was simple he said its when you use eachothers toothbrush that was 1960
The Linebacker
0 likes
All I know is that it is what it is. It's there and it ain't going away. I think the true definition must be somewhere in a country music song.
Lurker
0 likes
It's not what defines love, it's who...and the answer is, the people in it.
Lurker
0 likes
Wish someone could actually tell me definitively. Yes I love my b/f but like a bubble on the surface of life .... it can vanish with the first prick. Unconditional love only seems to apply with parents and their offspring.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Laurenxxx
Unconditional love only seems to apply with parents and their offspring.

ANd puppy dogs.

I am reminded of the old joke.

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk (boot, for you guys who speak British) for two hours.
Who do you think is going to happy to see you when you open it up again?
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
0 likes
Quote by DLizze

ANd puppy dogs.

I am reminded of the old joke.

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk (boot, for you guys who speak British) for two hours.

I am still laughing....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To me, If it can be defined, Then it isn't love!
Constant Gardener
0 likes
You run out in the middle of a cold, slushy, hazardous sleet storm to purchase her a box of her special tampons and a bottle of Midol at a busy grocery or convenience store, paying for the purchase of those items, while thirty strangers grin knowingly.

You're either pussy whipped or, you're head over heels in love.

Or you just want some peace and quiet so you can watch your football game without the beast stalking you.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
0 likes
Quote by clum
It's a most hodge-podgical, most illogical, most confusiling, most bamboozling, most bemuddling, most befuddling thing!

Clem,

It is also the most discombooberating thing as well... but I would have expected nothing less from you.
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by sprite
love is not being afraid to open yourself up to get hurt beyond your wildest imaginings.

I have done this, and been hurt beyond my wildest imaginings. Love makes it worth doing.
[url]http://[/url]
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by clum

maybe all that
but it feels good, really GOOD
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DLizze

I love that. Very funny!

As for love. I can't define it, it's a weird old thing.
Miss Mimi.
xx
Lurker
0 likes
Love is when your heart's desire is the other person's happiness. Even at the expense of your own.

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes
Love

noun:

1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.

2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

3. sexual passion or desire.

4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.

5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Alphamagus
To me, If it can be defined, Then it isn't love!

this is my thoughts on it! Definition is - like water colors mixing and the hues changing and - oh ... indescribable.