HRT and sex drive?

last reply
2 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Have any of you women who have taken on Hormone Replacement Therapy seen any improvement in your desire to have sex? Also, have you seen other benifits? Like increased energy,weight loss, or happier mood?
The reason I ask is that my wife has early onset menopause at age 44. She has lost her desire for sex and has gained weight, also she has less drive and is unhappy. I am hoping HRT will help her. Any thoughts? Advise/

Thanks

JEM3
Any idiot can destroy, it takes a special person to create, inspire others, & enhance life to its fullest.
Lurker
0 likes
The best thing for your wife to do is talk to her doctor about her health and what her requirements are. Hormone replacement therapy might not be indicated in her case for many reasons. You didn't say, either, if she is post-menopausal or in the interim state known as peri-menopause, other wise known as 'going through menopause'.

In the meantime there are things she can do to manage the symptoms, and places on the web where she can find out how to do it. There are also support groups for women where she can find out what some of her options are and have friendly, understanding shoulders to cry on.

If she is completely post-menopausal, it is possible she has lost her desire for sex because it now hurts. Does it hurt? How are you going about asking for sex? Are you pampering and paying attention to her and her needs for being caressed, stroked, and making her feel you still love and desire her? If she is going through all you say, including a weight gain and menopause at an early age, she is also going to be emotionally wrecked. Her sense of self-esteem has probably taken a direct hit and she has the feeling that she has no control over it; she doesn't - that it isn't fair; it isn't - and she would just like to crawl out of her skin most days.

She needs you, and she needs you to listen to her and what her needs, physical and emotional, are at this time. Be sympathetic to her, reassure her she is still sexy and you love her (but for god's sake don't say anything about her weight or how her body has changed!) and don't pressure her.

HRT might help her, but it is not a magic solution, and studies now show that it can also be a poisoned pill for many women. That's one reason why exploring other options is a good idea, especially ones that address a life style adjustment, because that is what menopause is, a change of life that has to be adjusted to.

Good luck.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sorry but it hasn't help in my house.