Healthy snacks

last reply
47 replies
7.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am trying to eat a lot healthier than I have been the past few weeks. Whenever I feel like snacking, I'll usually eat a bit of popcorn. I have a massive sweet tooth, and find it difficult to find foods that are healthy and satisfy it. What kind of healthy snacks do you enjoy when you are looking for something a little sweet?

In the summer I would eat fruit, but it being winter in england, so little is in season.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
popcorn isn't in itself unhealthy - it's the associated sugar/salt/butter that's the unhealthy stuff. Of course without these, popcorn does taste more like packing foam.

The best thing is to stop snacking altogether - easier said than done I know, but increasing your protein intake should help a lot with that.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Some rice cakes help too. They have caramel, chocolate, cheese. It helps with the salt cravings and sweet cravings.

Frozen yogurt is pretty good too.
Nutella should kill the chocolate cravings.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
How about a good old fashioned Cox or a Navel !
Lurker
0 likes
I eat raw almonds quite often as a snack. I quickly got used to them being raw and do enjoy them now (so used to salted nuts). Every now and then I do like Emerald's Cocoa Roast Dark Chocolate almonds for something sweet. I also make my own granola, so I can control the content, and will add a few mini chocolate chips to that as well. I also find that if I leave fresh fruit on the counter, I will grab it pretty quickly. Most of my raw veggie consumption seems to require a dip as well.

I have a terrible sweet tooth and it's something I've been trying to cut down on. I give in to temptation more than I should, but I do try to offset by being active. Good Luck!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes

RX, if you can find this brand of dried mango, you have to try it... but it has to be this brand specifically. I've tried others, and they end up too sugary... this one is just right. The sweetness level and flavour is very natural. I buy them by the bags and keep them handy whenever I feel like a snack that will satisfy my sweet tooth as well. And it does taste like a dessert-item... almost like natural candy.

I like to keep a bag of these and another bag of almonds in my bag if I'm running errands after work or on weekends. I prefer grazing on healthy things and having smaller meals... that way you're never really hungry or likely to overindulge.

I also like adding a bit of dried ginger to my granola (and throw in some dried banana slices and raisins too). If you mix in some nuts, you have a tasty granola/trail-mix that you can reach for as well whenever you're craving a snack with some flavour.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'll look out for those DD. I love dried mango, but it's hard to find ones that are inexpensive and don't have a ton of sugar. I did buy dried cranberries, but can only eat a very small amount, since they are so acidic.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
When I'm writing I like to have some carrots close by to snack from. I peel them and chop them into good size then put them into a glass of water. (The water taste great if you decide to drink it when you run out of carrots)
Lurker
0 likes
For me it's either almonds, sunflower seeds, or carrots. Seeing that you're in England, and fruits are so little during the winter, you can probably try:

Fruit smoothie - frozen fruits, low fat milk, low fat yogurt, and ice.
Yogurt - greek or low fat (live active cultures)
Dark chocolate - preferably 60% or higher cocoa
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Nuts, fruit, the usual smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
my snacks are 1/2 low fat cottage cheese, cheese sticks low fat, 10 almonds, any eggs, limited fruit, protein shakes, any veggies, rice cakes (i like apple cinnamon), wheat thins, sugar free jello..I pick 3 a day to eat between meals.
No one can make you jealous, angry, vengeful, or greedy -unless you let him.
- Napoleon Hill
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
it is so tricky, I am a chocoholic and trying to cut it out gradually, I still need my fix and have a 100cal biscuit every other day. Best healthy snack is Blueberries, but I am not keen.
Lurker
0 likes
I love any kind of fruit, but celery is a great snack, add a little peanut butter and it's an amazingly healthy treat
Lurker
0 likes
Noodles! Just not the pot noodle type
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have been eating a lot of apples, pears, bananas, carrot sticks and celery sticks for snacks lately. I will look great for my wedding and bikini weather is here again!
Lurker
0 likes
Well, almonds and cashews usually do it for me. Despite their high-energy content, they're great to fill you up and not make you gain weight. Try getting them unsalted. Still tasty!
Lurker
0 likes
I guess its not really a healthy snack but I love to put curlywurlys in the freezer and it lasts aggggeessss! Haha smile

Or erm honey on rice cakes if Im being really good! biggrin

xx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love snacking on fried fruit's smile
Lurker
0 likes
fresh fruits. nuts.. lots of water... yogurt...fenugreek seeds...
Lurker
0 likes
I practically live off small, healthy cereal/fruit/nut bars it feels like, always have two or three knocking around in my bag.

Otherwise it's the usual... nuts, fruit and corn thins...I find them less cork tasting than rice cakes, more flavoursome. There are different flavours but I've always found plain/original to be fine as they're tasteful enough.

Lurker
0 likes
I've been eating A LOT of caramel rice cakes spread with PB, drizzled with honey, and topped with sliced banana. Breakfast, lunch, or a snack.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lately I've been eating an apple everyday. I also snack on nuts (raw or toasted),boiled eggs, peppers, carrots, bananas.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Homemade fruit snacks! I swear by them. Invest in a decent fruit dehydrator, I've seen some decent ones for about $30.
They are truly fulfilling and it's a healthy way to take care of a sweet tooth instead of opting for candy or junk food.

Another interesting and fun idea are rainbow fruit kabobs which include:
Strawberry (Red)
Melon (Orange)
Pineapple (Yellow)
Grape (Green)
Blueberry (Blue)
Grape (Purple).

I always make a big tray of these for potlucks, they are always a hit biggrin
Lurker
0 likes
Plain yogurt and a spoonful of honey
Lurker
0 likes
I am.trying to lose weight which is not easy i love Greek yogurt ,and yoplat light when am home i also love fresh fruits and vegetables

.However I am a woman on the go am super busy with class. I only have ten minute breaks

my question is what , kind of sneaks can i take on the go that will keep me on track and give me energy also help my sweet and salty cravings ?

cause my problem is the.snack.machines and i.want to stay away from those
0 likes
Almonds, walnuts

A dietician recommended wasabi peas at a diabetic program I went to. They are yummy but reading the nutrition facts, I'm not sure how healthy they really are. Depends on how they're made, perhaps.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For those who love chocolate... I slice a banana, spread some all natural peanut, almond or cashew butter, and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder. I pop it in the freezer and let it chill, but its great whenever. Watch the butter tho, some all natural can have extra sugar... Its a filling snack and eases the sweet tooth.

My.other suggestion for sweet cravings is flavored tea.. I love hot tea, especially in the winter. I found a chocolate.mint and rasberry mint tea.. They are naturally a little sweter and delicious.. Check out the.mighty leaf tea Co... Awesome stuff.

Like everyone else suggested, nuts are great. Cheese sticks, celery...
"I'd much rather be a woman than a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes, and they are the first to be rescued off of sinking ships."
— Gilda Radner
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Seldom eat snacks. If I snack it might be a small bowl of Blue Bunny ice cream, or some popcorn. Snacks shouldn't be healthy. If they are, they are no longer snacks, they're supplements!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One of the best healthy snacks I've been doing lately is toasting both pieces of an English muffin lightly, then spreading on it shredded fresh basil or fresh spinach leaves, small chunks of mozarella cheese, and sliced cherry tomatoes with a sprinkling of salt and basalmic vinegar. It's like a combination of antipasto and bruschetta. Very healthy and satisfying.