Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Joe Paterno - Dead Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:51:54 PM

Fugs wrote:
I am probably the least sports person here. I don't watch it, participate in it and very much so hate that every sports person is regarded as hero or legend - really pisses me off.

So it has me wondering, if Paterno's career was in politics, a child care worker or even the church instead of sports, would he still have the supporters claiming his innocence in his involvement that he has now? Somehow I doubt it.

and thank you LM for the updates, very interesting.

Anyone in the public eye is going to get some benefit of the doubt. Roman Polanski admits to raping a teenager. Ted Kennedy was convicted of leaving the scene of an accident where a woman was killed. She died in his car, probably from his drunken driving.

Polanski continues to work and many are apologists for his crime which was committed a long time ago.

Kennedy served numerous terms as a U.S. Senator.

Sports, politics, movie/tv, musicians... they all play by a different set of rules.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
ArtMan
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:59:10 PM

Penn State's once pristine public image is permanently stained. As the evidence of a cover up comes forth it is obvious that Penn State's clean image was nothing more than a facade.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

LadyX
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 4:04:36 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

Anyone in the public eye is going to get some benefit of the doubt. Roman Polanski admits to raping a teenager. Ted Kennedy was convicted of leaving the scene of an accident where a woman was killed. She died in his car, probably from his drunken driving.

Polanski continues to work and many are apologists for his crime which was committed a long time ago.

Kennedy served numerous terms as a U.S. Senator.

Sports, politics, movie/tv, musicians... they all play by a different set of rules.

True, the common denominator of Kennedy, Polanski, and Paterno is that all three are celebrities, albeit for different reasons. As such, they're revered as public figures. Paterno held enormous power over literally everyone else at Penn State. The athletic director and university president were former players of his who he once summarily threw out of his house some years back for suggesting he retire. Because of this power, he's both vilified and revered more than the average person would be in the same situation.

If Joe Paterno was just some average guy who ran a youth outreach center, I agree that he wouldn't have thousands of supporters rushing to his defense for allowing a lecherous local pedophile to use his locker room as a rendezvous spot. But, while it would definitely make the news, a community outreach coordinator who didn't actually commit any crimes also wouldn't be a worldwide target of scorn two and a half months later.

sprite
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:15:28 AM

A run down of the Grand Jury Report as I understood it:

Mike McQueary , a grad student, walked into the locker room, and witnessed Sandusky sodomizing a ten year old boy in the showers. Instead of rescuing the boy, McQueary went home and called his his father and asked him what to do. McQueary then told Paterno the following morning. Paterno knew that in 1998, Sandusky was investigated for sexual abuse of a child by the University Police, State College Police, Centre County District Attorney, Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, and a "child protection agency," but no charges were filed. So, there were at least rumors out there about Sandusky. Instead of calling the police Paterno decided to wait to tell University leadership about it.

Consequently, Sandusky has been charged with over 40 counts of sexual assualts on young boys, covering the period from 1994-2009 (seven years worth of assaults after Paterno was told). More allegations have come forward that Sandusky did these kinds of activities as early as the 1970s.

The man may not have known for sure, but he had enough to suspect Sandusky of molestation. He had enough pull to get the man fired, put on leave of absence, or suspended. He could have called the cops at anytime and reported what he’d been told.

Add to that, Mike McQuery could have called the cops on the spot, could have told Sandusky to back off, could have come forth as a witness.

What happened? McQuery calls his father. His father decides that instead of calling the cops, he should call Paterno in the morning. Paterno decides that, instead of calling the cops, he should turn it over to the administration. The Administration decides to turn a blind eye.

They could have ended it. Instead, they let it go on for years and years. Each boy molested afterwards should be a mark on McQuery and Paterno’s soul. I have never wished anyone dead, but I hope that his passing was burdened by it. I hope he felt guilt and remorse in the end.

Now, everyone is focused on Paterno, should we praise him, condemn him, forgive him? What about the boys who are reliving this every day of their lives now that it’s became front page headlines. What about the families who read this every day and think, my son, my brother, my friend were molested and it could have been stopped, but this man chose not to pursue it. What about the kids who watch all this and think “I was raped! Have you forgotten that? I have to live with it for the rest of my life, and this man, this supposed saint, allowed it!”

Does he bear the same guilt as Sandusky? Hell no. Should his reputation be tarnished? Yes. Every time his name comes up, people shouldn’t think ‘hey, that wonderful human being who coached for Penn State’ they should think ‘that’s the guy who allowed young boys to be molested on his watch, who allowed countless children’s lives to be ruined, who allowed the most horrific crime imaginable to go on without doing everything in his power to stop it!'

Sorry. For me it’s black and white. He may have done all the was required by the letter of the law, but he didn’t do all that he COULD do. He fell short when it really counted. He failed as a human being. What is wrong with people that we are more concerned with Paterno’s legacy then we are with the legacies of every single boy who was molested? Had he done everything with his power to stop it, I would bow down the demi-god that is JoePa as well. He did not. He abandoned those boys. That is his legacy.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:51:37 AM

I agree that McQueary should have done more. He should have run in the shower, pulled Sandusky off the boy and then beat the shit out of him.

However, according to McQueary's grand jury testimony, he said that he saw what was happening. Looked into the shower a second time and the boy and Sandusky had separated. The assault was over. He should have called the police right away. After speaking to Paterno, 9-10 days later he spoke with Tim Curley and Gary Shultz. Shultz is the head of the campus police. So to McQueary's eyes, he was talking to the police... albeit much too late.

We may never know why all of these supposed responsible adults didn't act accordingly. And the cover-up for this runs deep. Paterno ran Penn State. All of it. No one did anything without his approval. As it is, McQueary received death threats after all this came out. Not from the victims or their famililes, but from the fans of Penn State. Who knows what other kinds of threats people got before. People get very convienent amnesia if their families are threatened by remembering things.

The true victims are indeed the young boys. No one was looking out for them. It was all about protecting the university and JoePa.

Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:37:29 PM

This is so fucked up. Worrying about how he's going to be remembered? How about as someone that doesn't give a shit about children? An enabler?
Someone that condones pedophilia? Isn't that what it amounts to by keeping silent?
What if it was his kid that Sandusky was raping in that shower. So McQueary says well shit Joe, I told my boss. 9 days after I saw it happen. That's by the law. By the book. What do you mean your kid is traumatized? So what? I did my job by the book. Washed my hands of it and never gave it another thought. Went on to win a fucking football game! Woo Hoo! Cause isn't that what's most important here? Fuck the children? Bah, I hope he never rests for eternity and the *people that still think he's just the best thing ever have the same thing happen to them. How's it feel now football fans? As long as we win that game on Saturday we'll sweep the dirt under the rug.

*and no I don't want any little kids to suffer the same fate*
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:47:16 PM

His legacy will always be tarnished. The people that now still blindly support him sicken me. When all the facts come out then people can have their final judgement of him.

Btw, now that Paterno has died some or all of his grand jury testimony may be inadmissable in court. I'm guessing it will have something to do with the defense atty not being able to cross examine him. We'll see how that goes.

Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:34:15 PM

lafayettemister wrote:
His legacy will always be tarnished. The people that now still blindly support him sicken me. When all the facts come out then people can have their final judgement of him.

Btw, now that Paterno has died some or all of his grand jury testimony may be inadmissable in court. I'm guessing it will have something to do with the defense atty not being able to cross examine him. We'll see how that goes.

Very well stated, Lafayettemister. Thank you!
Unlaw
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:13:04 AM

Well, let's look at what we know. Joe Paterno is dead. We all agree on that. He was a great coach and mentor to many a generation, I believe that to be true. He either witnessed or was advised of a friend and "co-worker" who may or may not have been abusing children, I believe this to be true. He reported the incident to the higher authorities, thus removing himself of any further need to pursue the issue, I believe this to be true, but I also believe this to be his downfall.

As a great leader, as a football coach at the mighty Penn State, he was a demi-God. At some point, with the long history involved with the reference to this alleged abuse, Joe Paterno should have done more, as the leader he was, to ensure the alledged abuse was stopped, and didn't continue.

Yes, by law he did all that was required of him. As a football player, that would not have been enough on the field of play, as you are always asked to do more than you're physically able, to put your team before yourself.

Joe Paterno was a great football coach, that is not in dispute. The fact that he did all that was required to do by law, is an issue, because I believe he should have done more. This abuse wasn't done over a long weekend. It was reported over many years. It occurred in the very building where he held office and trained and developed the players under his watch.

Yes, he did what was required by law, but my opinion is that he should of done more. I would have expected him to have done more.

I believe this is the downfall to his great legacy. I believe at the end, he realized this and was deeply effected by it, which is very sad