Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Surprise: Bigots tend to be dumber than the rest of us Options · View
LadyX
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:55:39 AM

And dumber people tend to be more socially conservative.

Quote:
There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.
The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

So, if prejudice is hard-wired into us and has to be un-learned (as I think it is, unfortunately), do you think less intelligent people are truly resistant to change? Or are they more tribal by nature? Or are they simply less capable of thinking critically about how morally and logically wrong their prejudices really are?
lafayettemister
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 9:35:43 AM

I'm not buying into it. Anyone with an agenda can make a study show whatever they want it to show. The right wants us to believe that all liberals are pinky leftist commies and aren't as "American" or patriotic, therefore the views of the left are treasonous and null and void. The left wants us to believe that the right is full of backwoods hillbilly ignoramuses that are too dumb to know what's best for them or their country, thus making all the views of the right ignorant and null and void.

According to IBM Many Eyes California has the fourth lowest IQ average in the country. Yet, they possess more seats in the House of Representatives than any other state because of population. So, we could say that Californians are the fourth dumbest state in the union, yet have more legislative power than everyone.

Of the 10 states with the lowest IQs according to the above site, 8 of them have the highest percentage of minorities (according to Wikipedia). Are we to conclude that minorities are less intelligent than whites? Uh, no. There are many reasons why those numbers are completely skewed.

Let's not confuse intelligence with education. An educated man may know the works and teachings of Socrates, but still not be able to balance his checkbook. An intelligent man may have learned life lessons in the school of hard knocks, but not know the difference between Mozart and Bach. Send Troy Landry (Swamp People) up to live and work in NYC and he'll be eaten alive. Send Donald Trump down to live in the La. swamp and he will be eaten alive. If you've seen the show, don't let Troy's on screen persona fool you. He's a very intelligent man. But not educated. Donald, I've never met him. And he is probably well educated but I think he's pretty dim.

Not all, nor most conservatives are dumb or bigots. I will concede that the big mouth "conservatives" that are most often soundbite ready at all times, are indeed usually biased, bigoted, and prejudiced.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:54:34 PM

LadyX wrote:
And dumber people tend to be more socially conservative. So, if prejudice is hard-wired into us and has to be un-learned (as I think it is, unfortunately), do you think less intelligent people are truly resistant to change? Or are they more tribal by nature? Or are they simply less capable of thinking critically about how morally and logically wrong their prejudices really are?

I tend to agree both with you, and with the study. Despite my lack of higher education, I firmly believe that prejudice is a genetic trait, a survival trait that was bred into our ancestors back in the "eat or be eaten" phase of human development. And of all the people I've ever known well in my life, those who were most prejudiced against other races were also those with little or no formal higher education. They were also the ones most resistant to change and advancement, even if it meant a better standard of living for themselves.

layfayettemister wrote:
Send Donald Trump down to live in the La. swamp...

Please. Just do it. For all our sakes.

Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 9:32:08 PM

In Australia, we recently celebrated Australia Day. The aboriginal population call it "Invasion Day". I don't blame them. I have many acquaintances (who I would consider highly intelligent) who've come out with extremely racist remarks, but when I question where it comes from, they shrug their shoulders.

A manager at my work place treats a fellow employee like a moron because his english isn't too good. He speaks fluent mandarin Chinese as well as his native Vietnamese. She speaks one language.

I experienced racism first hand as a child, straight off the boat from England. My sister and I were constantly taunted at school as filthy poms, who stank, because we (supposedly) only had a bath once a week. Twelve months later, after developing a tan and an Aussie accent, we were accepted. Figure that one.

I believe intelligence and racism have very little to do with each other. The contributing factors are numerous. I think a lot has to do with one's upbringing.

I consider myself color blind and brought my kids up the same way. Ignorance and bigotry have nothing to do with intelligence.