Pads or tampons?

last reply
23 replies
2.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Wine Connoisseur
0 likes
I have used both over many years but I use tampons almost exclusively all the time. Pads, even with wings are apt to leak at times and are useless when wearing bikinis in the water or playing sport. Pads are also uncomfortable to sit on too. Main thing with tampons is to change regularly for hygiene and to avoid any possible chance to get TSS. I think for preteens and young virgins, pads may be the way to go, but then each female will make their own decision in what's best for them.

Lurker
0 likes
Whats with the pad in that picture? It looks like some kind of fabric thing you clip on and can change the bit down the middle? Thats just gross, new, clean one everytime (when i use them which is rarely)
Lurker
0 likes
Pads are for overnight and for lighter days when using even the smallest tampon would be a bad idea with regards to drying you all up.

I'm confused about pads being good for 'virgins' though, tampons don't actually break the hymen....hymens, if a girl has one, will already have a hole in it for which the period to come through.... so why are tampons not great for girls who haven't lost their virginity also? Confused. I've yet to meet a girl who hasn't used a tampon due to being a virgin *shrug*

Edit: Also, why is this in the think tank? There's nothing major to 'think' about here...surely this would have been better off being placed in the ask the gals forum? Just mentioning..
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
* Topic has been moved to Ask the Gals section.

To answer the OP, I'm a tampon girl and have been since I first started. I still can't imagine using the kind without the plastic applicator though...or the cardboard applicator ones. *cringe*

I prefer Tampax Pearl of all the brands.
Lurker
0 likes
TAMPONS!!

and pads for sleeping but always tampons
Lurker
0 likes
I love pads!!! It's so much easier for me haha Tampons are fine and dandy but they bother me a lot for some reason..they just aren't comfortable as pads
Lurker
0 likes
Never used a tampon.. though have tried if that makes sense. Pads are far more easier. My friend used a mooncup.. you can even put them in the dishwasher, have to decide if this is really gross or very efficient sterilisation (obviously you wash it before adding it to dishwasher).
Internet Sensation
0 likes
I advice anyone who's concerned for the environment to change to a menstrual cup instead. (More economic too)

It's really annoying to see how much our generation waste resources. (specially tampoons that have that insertion thing with it. Really?! Scared of getting your finger dirty?)
Lurker
0 likes
Tampons usually. So much easier, But sometimes i'll use pads
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Tampons always!!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LittleBambi
Pads are for overnight and for lighter days when using even the smallest tampon would be a bad idea with regards to drying you all up.

I'm confused about pads being good for 'virgins' though, tampons don't actually break the hymen....hymens, if a girl has one, will already have a hole in it for which the period to come through.... so why are tampons not great for girls who haven't lost their virginity also? Confused. I've yet to meet a girl who hasn't used a tampon due to being a virgin *shrug*

Edit: Also, why is this in the think tank? There's nothing major to 'think' about here...surely this would have been better off being placed in the ask the gals forum? Just mentioning..

With LittleBambi on this one!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use a menstural cup too. Tampons have always been to painful for me to use, so I was thrilled when I found the cup. They are sometimes a little messier when changing, but I'm washing my hands afterwards regardless. And as catnip pointed out they are a $ saver and less wasteful, which appeals to me too. They do need to be inserted correctly or the little point pokes into your side and is very uncomfortable.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Tampons........much more hygienic, no smell, stay fresh all day long.....and I'm used to using them...since the age of 13.....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I had my first period at 12 my mum told me to wear pads as they were much easier to use and no applicators needed like with tampons to insert. I was happy with this for a few years. After my parents were killed and I was in boarding school, all of my room mates (2 girls per room and change of mate every term) used tampons. None of them had any trouble inserting so I asked to try one. I loved them and have worn them ever since.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I wear tampons, because pads can be difficult to wear when your flow is heavier AND you wear panties that have a narrower crotch covering. I HATE pads, and had to plead my Mom to let me when tampons until she finally caved when I was a freshman in high school. I am allergic to latex, as well as many types of tape and adhesives, so if the sticky part on the bottom of the pad touches my skin/the sides of my inner thighs, I itch SO bad. I seriously used to itch SO bad, I wanted to cry in junior high. You obviously can't adjust in public, and if you do, people assume you need Vagisil, instead of Benadryl. :/ It wasn't until I showed my Mom the redness/swelling from the pad adhesives that she caved. She was uncomfortable with her virgin daughter touching her pussy OR possibly breaking her hymen due to tampon use, which is insane. I want to tell fundamental Christians: your virginal teenage daughter using tampons does not detract from her sexual purity! It's a tampon, people, not a fucking dildo! She's using to be hygienic, not to masturbate with! I went to parochial Christian school until high school, and church on Sunday was the norm growing up. Need I say more? Wearing pads makes playing sports difficult for women, and makes women who have heavier flows--like me--more prone to leakage. It is also infinitely embarrassing to be one of the only ladies in the locker room who wears pads exclusively. Especially when you had menstrual cycles that lasted 7 or 8 WEEKS at times, like I did in high school. I prefer to keep that information private, thank you. On days when my flow is super heavy, I will wear one of those skinny liners, just in case my tampon leaks. I just have to find one where the adhesive won't touch or rub against my skin.

I do agree with Catnip that tampons are wasteful, and so are pads. I am curious about those menstrual cups, but, as I live with my parents, I could never use one at home. My Dad is a physician and my Mom is germaphobic OR nurse, so my Mom would freak if she found out I was using one. "That's unclean!" She would yell. I also wonder if those cups are user-friendly for women with heavier periods, and how do you guys change them in public? At school or work, for example? Do they leak or fall out? And where do you get them? I've never seen them at Walgreens or the grocery store...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I rarely wear tampons as one time I forgot a tampon was inside of me (stupid I know) and lets just say it was an unpleasent two months before getting it removed.

I now wear pads, their a bit cheaper and at the moment been thinking of trying out a dixie cup or moon cup.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am a pad girl. I've only used a tampon once, and that was when I was required to swim for my phys ed class. It was an uncomfortable feeling, and I've disliked it since.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I was younger, my mom wouldn't let me wear tampons. It is a common Latin belief that if younger girls use tampons that they are no longer virgins. Very very stupid if you ask me, but I eventually put my foot down and I've been a tampon user ever since. Definitely my preference, even now that I model.. I can still do bikini shoots whilst on the rag and no one ever knows! Plus since I'm normally small in the bust region, it doesn't hurt that my boobs look more plumpy with the water weight.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
pads! ive tried all sorts of tampons and they all make me feel sick! even if they are in for 5 minutes my stomach feels all queasy!
Everything happens for a reason. Live for the moment and have no regrets.
Lurker
0 likes
Pads in my pov are for virgins or very heavy periods. To me only wearing a pad is gross!! Tampons always....whats with the super+ tampons in the pic? SCARY!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like the way you make me feel even when I'm nowhere near...
Lurker
0 likes
Tampons, don't have to worry about them unsticking or bunching up or sliding around when you sit down
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Growing up with a very old fashioned Latin mother, I was forced to wear pads against my will for most of my teens because it is the common belief in Latin culture that if you use a tampon, you are no longer a virgin. Finally I become more bold and was able to stand up for myself, and that is when I began to use tampons. I prefer them much more than pads. In the modeling industry, you cannot model a bikini while wearing a pad, it's just not possible.. and it looks like a diaper (Ew)! Sometimes I will give myself air to breathe down there and wear a pad overnight earlier in my cycle when I have a heavy flow.. and when I'm in my final days I just wear panty liners so I don't waste tampons. Every girl has their preferences.. this just works best for me.