Flying..who loves it, who is terrified of it

last reply
247 replies
24.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Me, I love it. I have probably crossed the Pacific no less than 20 times between Sydney and LA and LA and Tokyo and plenty of travel within the US. 14hrs on a plane seems like a long time, but it gets shorter every time I do it. You always find ways to occupy your time. So who loves it or hates it, even those 1-2 hour flights on a city hop??
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I absolutely love flying!! As a kid, I wanted to be a pilot. Now I wish to have my own plane of some kind some day!
Had a dream I was king, I woke up still king!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love it. I went to an aviation school in college (by college, I mean "high school"), and never
missed an opportunity for what was called "flight orientation." My school owned a few Cessna
planes and offered flight training for students. I dropped out of the courses though. What a
short-sighted, idiotic move that was...
Are you truly awake?
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
first of all, getting on a plane means .... I am off to a place I wanna get to!

I am always excited for take off .... but I feel queasy when landing and am so thankful when the wheels touch the earth again and slow down to slow park in the terminal.

If given a choice of love or hate ... I'll say love .... I wanna go to where ever I am headed!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Flying? No problem. Like PersonalAssistant said you're usually off to some place you wanna get to!!!! Turbulence makes me nervous but that's part of it. Small airplane flying is much more fun. You really feel like you are flying then.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
im not afraid of flying...but i am afraid of falling!
littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
Purveyor of Sweetness
0 likes
i am an anxious flyer... i have been known to hold the hand of a person i do not know if it gets turbulent...
Lurker
0 likes
Flying is a great enjoyment, love to fly, just hate the delays alot of the time in takeing off!
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by MissyLuvsYa
Flying? No problem. Like PersonalAssistant said you're usually off to some place you wanna get to!!!! Turbulence makes me nervous but that's part of it. Small airplane flying is much more fun. You really feel like you are flying then.

Turbulence used to, but since a flight back in 2001, right after 9/11 actually so people already on edge, we hit turbulence about 3hours shy of Sydney. That was the first time flying actually scared me. Shit was going everywhere. Seat belts kept us from hitting the ceiling. It was pretty scary. Since then, I have never felt so safe knowing the punishment planes can handle.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've never been on a plane so I have no idea.
“Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.”
― Oscar Wilde
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by secretcharm
I've never been on a plane so I have no idea.

No?

My first time flying felt almost...natural? Like the way it feels
when you have dreams about flying...at least, in my experience, lol.
Are you truly awake?
Lurker
0 likes
I love to fly.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love it!!!! Flown in civil and military aircraft. My favourite has to be helos
Lurker
0 likes
Hate flying. Especially turbulence. Maybe I need to join the mile high club
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by Sharemyc0k
Hate flying. Especially turbulence. Maybe I need to join the mile high club

Get yourself a ticket on an almost empty 747, ask for the back row and if the flight is not full, ask the ticket girl to block those seats. When the lights go out, lay across the row and spoon your SO..not that I have done it....I just cant see how there is room to have sex in a plane lavatory. Then there is the awkward moment of walking past those who have been waiting to use it for its intended purposes...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I hate flying... I did it almost every weekend to go back and forth from home to work...

Now if I want to relax I go by train...
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
i think i`ve watched one too many scary movies about planes crashing to actually even think about stepping on a plane, i think ill stick to car, train or boat smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
You're more likely to have a car accident than a plane crash smile
Are you truly awake?
Lurker
0 likes
Love it =) i like taking off and landing, and sitting by the window to watch whats going on below me
Site administrator
0 likes
This is a major problem for me. Last time I was on a plane I found myself having a panic attack because I wanted to get off and couldnt. That was 25 years ago and havent flown since. Shame because it rather limits me on holidays etc. In fact wasnt until 3 years ago that I finally went on a boat since I had the same fear after the episode on the plane.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The flying part is an enjoyable necessity for one stuck in the middle of the Atlantic .... but the airport check-in process these days?

Don't get me started ...
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
The Linebacker
0 likes
Flying is great, especially in an open cockpit airplane! Now that is tremendous!
0 likes
Quote by PersonalAssistant
first of all, getting on a plane means .... I am off to a place I wanna get to!

Obviously you don't have to fly for work ladies do you?

I have to fly pretty much 1-2 times a month. Don't get me wrong I find planes fascinating however like MK said the check in process and navigating the airports is a real pain in the ass! Thankfully for travel to the US I have a Nexus card, that saves me at least an hour or more going through customs and security.

Thankfully the destination I fly to most, has an amazing airline with the best airport I have ever been in. Not to mention they offer complimentary "beverages" in flight!

I have had a few "interesting situations" in planes, one time we hit some turbulence dropped 500 feet and went sideways! It was a rather small plane that seated 30. We all looked at each other in cold sweats wondering if that was the end. The pilots were in an open cockpit and just looked back at us and said "whoa that was interesting" and started laughing. Needless to say that's the icebreaker we all needed to relax a little!
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've only flown in a jet once, but I have to say, I liked the view.
Lurker
0 likes
Have only flown twice before (well 4 times if you count the return), and i loved both times apart from the taking off and landing.

I hate taking off, and getting that horrible feeling in your stomach and head, and then seeing the ground disappear beneath you. Strangely once we're up in the air Im absolutely fine with it. On the way down is horrible as well, not the bit about seeing the ground returning but knowing that youre landing at such a fast speed and the wheels hitting the floor so fast scares me a bit, it seems so easy to lose control on that bit sad

Overall though i dont mind and i wouldnt mind flying anywhere for any amount of time
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I'm so not a fan of flying. I like being in control of my own fate. so if i can't fly it then i don't want to be in it. plus i hate heights, so that may contribute to the reason i don't like to fly. you know what they say..

"It's not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the bottom that does."
Just let it go.
Lurker
0 likes
I love flying. Sure the fact that you're 35K+ feet up the air doesn't sound awesome but taking pictures of the Earth from that view is spectacular.

It's the landings I hate.
Lurker
0 likes
I love being on an Airplane. I've only been flying twice though. I love the take off and the landing, it's the staying in the
air part that starts to give me the Sceebies. When I look out the window and it feels like we stopped in mid-air, I get
the gut feeling that we're going to drop! Must be from watching all those Loony Toon cartoons when I was younger.
Lurker
0 likes
I absolutely love to fly lol and always have since i was young.The take off is awesome landing not so the best part is around half way into the flight when they turn of the lights everything is so calm and relaxing. I remember a few long 12-13 hour flights from when i was a child flying from germany to singapore or thailand funny enough i think i loved the flight there as much as i loved the holiday there. But sadly the whole airport drama and the delays can really get so bloody annoying now a days.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Leaving on a jet plane next week!! Coming across the pond to see Mickey and get some rays, and I can't wait!

Love flying, used to do it for a living. Have been in some interesting, and some scary scenarios in my flying time too. Best memory, landing in Hong Kong (the old airport that was notorious for it's difficult approach) in the cockpit of a 747. Awesome!