Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Intelligence is overrated? IQ trumped by EQ, MQ, and BQ. Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:29:42 AM

Intelligence Overrated

Albert Einstein’s was estimated at 160, Madonna’s is 140, and John F. Kennedy’s was only 119, but as it turns out, your IQ score pales in comparison with your EQ, MQ, and BQ scores when it comes to predicting your success and professional achievement.

IQ tests are used as an indicator of logical reasoning ability and technical intelligence. A high IQ is often a prerequisite for rising to the top ranks of business today. It is necessary, but it is not adequate to predict executive competence and corporate success. By itself, a high IQ does not guarantee that you will stand out and rise above everyone else.

Research carried out by the Carnegie Institute of Technology shows that 85 percent of your financial success is due to skills in “human engineering,” your personality and ability to communicate, negotiate, and lead. Shockingly, only 15 percent is due to technical knowledge. Additionally, Nobel Prize winning Israeli-American psychologist, Daniel Kahneman, found that people would rather do business with a person they like and trust rather than someone they don’t, even if the likeable person is offering a lower quality product or service at a higher price.

With this in mind, instead of exclusively focusing on your conventional intelligence quotient, you should make an investment in strengthening your EQ (Emotional Intelligence), MQ (Moral Intelligence), and BQ (Body Intelligence). These concepts may be elusive and difficult to measure, but their significance is far greater than IQ.

Emotional Intelligence

EQ is the most well known of the three, and in brief it is about: being aware of your own feelings and those of others, regulating these feelings in yourself and others, using emotions that are appropriate to the situation, self-motivation, and building relationships.

Top Tip for Improvement: First, become aware of your inner dialogue. It helps to keep a journal of what thoughts fill your mind during the day. Stress can be a huge killer of emotional intelligence, so you also need to develop healthy coping techniques that can effectively and quickly reduce stress in a volatile situation.

Moral Intelligence

MQ directly follows EQ as it deals with your integrity, responsibility, sympathy, and forgiveness. The way you treat yourself is the way other people will treat you. Keeping commitments, maintaining your integrity, and being honest are crucial to moral intelligence.

Top Tip for Improvement: Make fewer excuses and take responsibility for your actions. Avoid little white lies. Show sympathy and communicate respect to others. Practice acceptance and show tolerance of other people’s shortcomings. Forgiveness is not just about how we relate to others; it’s also how you relate to and feel about yourself.

Body Intelligence

Lastly, there is your BQ, or body intelligence, which reflects what you know about your body, how you feel about it, and take care of it. Your body is constantly telling you things; are you listening to the signals or ignoring them? Are you eating energy-giving or energy-draining foods on a daily basis? Are you getting enough rest? Do you exercise and take care of your body? It may seem like these matters are unrelated to business performance, but your body intelligence absolutely affects your work because it largely determines your feelings, thoughts, self-confidence, state of mind, and energy level.

Top Tip For Improvement: At least once a day, listen to the messages your body is sending you about your health. Actively monitor these signals instead of going on autopilot. Good nutrition, regular exercise, and adequate rest are all key aspects of having a high BQ. Monitoring your weight, practicing moderation with alcohol, and making sure you have down time can dramatically benefit the functioning of your brain and the way you perform at work.

It doesn’t matter if you did not receive the best academic training from a top university. A person with less education who has fully developed their EQ, MQ, and BQ can be far more successful than a person with an impressive education who falls short in these other categories.

Yes, it is certainly good to be an intelligent, rational thinker and have a high IQ; this is an important asset. But you must realize that it is not enough. Your IQ will help you personally, but EQ, MQ, and BQ will benefit everyone around you as well. If you can master the complexities of these unique and often under-rated forms of intelligence, research tells us you will achieve greater success and be regarded as more professionally competent and capable.

========================

Woooooo, there's hope for me yet!!!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:55:38 AM

Thanks for posting that LM.
Good to know there is hope at the end of the tunnel also. lol

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:47:34 PM

It's not what you know but who you know and whether they like you.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:31:16 PM

Hmmm, wonder what all those people with high scores are doing that don't really give a flying fuck about high scores?
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 7:25:23 AM

I would assume that your sucess is based on what kind of work you get involved in. Of course a good seller won't need the same level of IQ as a mathematician or engineer, same way you don't have to be a people person to solve equations.

Besides, what's the definition of sucess? If I'm in a job that I love and I earn 500 K NOK a year, am I then less sucessful than my supervisor that hates his job but earns 1 million?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
DLizze
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:23:37 PM

Tests and pundits notwithstanding, I would respectfully suggest the real test of who rises to the top in his or her given field has largely to do with his or her LQ: the quality of his or her luck. Knowing the right things, acting the right way, and knowing the right people are all helpful, but none of those, either together or singly, will overcome not being in the right place at the right time.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
justagreeting
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:39:34 AM

It's like the Coyote and the Road Runner. The coyote has a very high IQ, since he plots all sorts of sophisticated traps, using maths, technology, etc. But he always fails to catch the Road Runner because he's got no common sense, or Emotional Intelligence.
naughtiestmommy
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:20:39 PM

This is funny. I have often said that IQ alone is no predictor of success (I made the mistake of thinking, as a teenager, that because I tested very well on IQ, it meant I didn't have to do well in school. That, alone, tells you how stupid you can be...even with a higher score).

Some of the most successful people in the world have average IQs. Honestly, I'm not sure MQ is any predictor, though, either. Firstly, it's culturally biased (something many people complain standardized IQ tests are, but in all honestly, the greatest emphasis in IQ testing is placed on problem solving skills, which are logic-dependent). The other thing is, studies have shown that rigidity to social norms and mores often inhibit post-conventional thinking (as per Kolhberg), which in turn can hinder success.

Being in the psych field, I've been tested a number of times for IQ, as well as EQ (my scores are always consistent, which indicates to me that neither are as mood-contingent as some people argue). I've also taken the MMPI-II a number of times. I think if IQ and, even EQ, were a predictor of success, I should have done better in my life than I have lol. I think having a high EQ can actually be a hindrance, in some cases (depending on your field).

I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel...

naughtiestmommy
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:21:19 PM

DLizze wrote:
Tests and pundits notwithstanding, I would respectfully suggest the real test of who rises to the top in his or her given field has largely to do with his or her LQ: the quality of his or her luck. Knowing the right things, acting the right way, and knowing the right people are all helpful, but none of those, either together or singly, will overcome not being in the right place at the right time.

I really do have to agree here! That and motivation. I've never been very motivated at all!

I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel...

ArtMan
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:35:26 PM

The Mensa Society which requires members to score an IQ of 130 or higher has members from all walks of life from laborers to scientist. IQ is definitely no guarantee of career success.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Buz
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:42:07 AM

A high IQ doesn't necessarily mean good grades in school either.

I can easily see this EQ, MQ, and BQ factoring in with just as much importance to a person's success.

We should also consider just plain common sense and street smarts or in many cases country smarts.

principessa
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:47:23 AM

I agree that intelligence is not a guarantor of success in life. EQ and MQ are necessary components of a decent human being. Intelligence without these could be sociopathy. However, let us not contribute to the general anti-intellectualism in society by saying that intelligence is unimportant. IQ is not its only measure, but surely the general dumbing down we are seeing is not a good thing.

I recently saw something on television about young men falling behind young women on every measure of success. Part of it was attributed to their considering reading to be unmanly.

What we all need to be is decent, bright, inquisitive and well-rounded human beings. Ignorance has no redeeming value.

Buz
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:13:53 AM

The new problem trend of boys under performance is a symptom of our society's current social degeneration. Gang presence in schools, lazy parents, lousy schools, unqualified teachers, the flawed educational philosophy of the American educational system, our nation's trend toward mediocrity rather than excellence, and the massive use of the mind altering drug Ritalin to suppress boys' natural boisterous behaviour rather than discipline.

overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:04:45 PM

What a load of old cack. Even by most standards of coffee table magazine personality quizzes this is weak

Top tip: Don't be stressed - sure, ok!
Top tip: Be nice - really? do you think people go for that?
Top tip: Don't be fat and lazy - no shit, sherlock!

Maybe I credit people with more intelligence than they actually have

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
beowulf69
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:16:14 PM

To hear them tell it most of my college professors have astonishing IQs, but what they do have is a cushy easy job, no fucking common sense and most of them are fat.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:55:18 PM

overmykneenow wrote:
What a load of old cack. Even by most standards of coffee table magazine personality quizzes this is weak

Top tip: Don't be stressed - sure, ok!
Top tip: Be nice - really? do you think people go for that?
Top tip: Don't be fat and lazy - no shit, sherlock!

Maybe I credit people with more intelligence than they actually have

Slow clap
DUBOIS15801
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:37:22 PM

I believe I.Q. may show potential .... but potential is a " MAY BE " at best ..... Development is a far far better " VARIABLE " than knowledge or " potential " !!!!