Lack of feedback

last reply
9 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think I can speak for authors in general when I say that I love feedback from readers, but I wonder if women are more or less likely to give feedback to male writers. If I see that a story has had a thousand views and not received a single comment and very few votes, what does that mean? It's easy to assume that it means the story didn't do it for the reader, which is okay if the reader wasn't really being targeted, (example, someone who saw a "spanking" tag and expected spanking to be a major element of the story and was disappointed), but to get no feedback from the targeted audience makes it difficult to improve.
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Clumeleon
0 likes
It might also mean that a lot of the readers are people who are not members of the site. Your settings may only allow for members to vote and certainly only members can comment.

If you really want more feedback, try a bit of advertising. Sure, mass e-mails are annoying but for every 9 people who throw your message in the trash, one might actually read your story. Stick a link in your forum signature and post lots here. In general, stay active on the site and get your name out there.

I've been on this site for a year and am pretty well-known (fair to say?) but I still struggle to get a lot of people to read my stuff and give feedback on it.

Perseverance!
Lurker
0 likes
Clum?? Sorry, not familiar with you... LOL

1ball, what Clum says is true, although I find mass PMs a bit annoying if you get lots of them...

Also interacting with your friends. I don't mean hassling them to read your story, that can be tiresome for them, but post on their walls from time to time. If you DO get a comment on your story, then it's a nice idea to send a little thank you; by way of a wall post or a PM.

Another thing you could try is to post a link to your story as a blog post. That way, it will appear in friends' newsfeeds and also in their online friends list...

Good luck!
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I'm a lass, and I try to comment where I can, when I am able to read, about what i liked, or what I felt as I read it. If people want more detailed feedback, I am happy to provide that as I am able, too. Many writers don't always want to read what you have to say, so I tend to put less detailed feedback unless they ask for more or make it clear that's what they want. It's good to remember that we all read differently, and we all take differently, too.

You can choose to insist people put a comment when they score, but I like to leave mine open so people don't feel forced to. Sometimes I can score, but can't form my thoughts to give a comment, so I then refuse to score if I am forced to comment. I'm not always able to provide things people want.

I love to get feedback on my stories too, as it helps me develop my skills. Mostly, if there is something I really want feedback on, I ask a couple of friends I trust (usually one of the frequent writers, and one of the self-confessed Readers - people who only read, but don't post any stories).

I figure that if my stuff is terrible, people will post that! If it's fair/middle of the road, they are not likely to comment. If they really liked it, they are more likely to say, just like if it is markedly bad.

So my questions usually come with, why was it bad/good, or why is this not worth a comment? What makes it "fair/okay/middle-of-road"? How can I improve on that? And if the readers are not forthcoming, I ask a couple of friends.

As Clum says, try some advertising, and I would encourage you to ask some friends. If you are generally just wanting a wider readership, adverts and forum-posting are the way to go. If you are wanting to explore your talent as a writer, getting to know individuals and taking their views is the way to go.

Good luck.

*EDIT* I should also add, the writer's gender has nothing to do with whether I comment or not. The story and my mood/frame of mind/health do.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
I'm a lass, and I try to comment where I can, when I am able to read, about what i liked, or what I felt as I read it.

Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by clum

I have yet to find a story that makes me want to get off! That is not a challenge!

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for the comments. especially from Shylass. I hadn't considered the possibility that so many of the views could be from guests, but still, it seems that with views of most of my stories in the high hundreds and sometimes over a thousand, a lack of readership isn't the issue, but a lack of inspiring feedback is. I'm not soliciting feedback, I'm just trying to understand what the lack of it means. I don't want to pull feedback by means other than inspiring those who view my stories to say something. When I read, I'm generally not good at giving direct feedback, because I often read the stories while I'm not online because of privacy issues. But then I don't go back and follow through with a vote or a comment. I follow favorite authors instead and as long as I'm following them, that means they're keeping my interest.

But maybe I'm getting a relevant message. So far, I'm getting responses from authors and not from those who are exclusively readers. Maybe there are just so many readers who are very passive and don't even comment in this forum.
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by 1ball
Thanks for the comments. especially from Shylass. I hadn't considered the possibility that so many of the views could be from guests, but still, it seems that with views of most of my stories in the high hundreds and sometimes over a thousand, a lack of readership isn't the issue, but a lack of inspiring feedback is. I'm not soliciting feedback, I'm just trying to understand what the lack of it means. I don't want to pull feedback by means other than inspiring those who view my stories to say something. When I read, I'm generally not good at giving direct feedback, because I often read the stories while I'm not online because of privacy issues. But then I don't go back and follow through with a vote or a comment. I follow favorite authors instead and as long as I'm following them, that means they're keeping my interest.

But maybe I'm getting a relevant message. So far, I'm getting responses from authors and not from those who are exclusively readers. Maybe there are just so many readers who are very passive and don't even comment in this forum.

The other possibility is that people like your stories so much that they have intense Happy Time, and are so exhausted afterwards that they have lost all ability to type?

*EDIT* You may find that authors respond because they have more detailed opinions and know the value of comments and responses, whereas some (but not all) readers like to read-and-go.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

The other possibility is that people like your stories so much that they have intense Happy Time, and are so exhausted afterwards that they have lost all ability to type?

If I had that ability, I would try to expand my readership to make the world a happier place.

*EDIT* You may find that authors respond because they have more detailed opinions and know the value of comments and responses, whereas some (but not all) readers like to read-and-go.

That's probably true for most. I'm thinking about taking away the option to vote on my stories. The score can tell something other than satisfaction level with the writing quality and doesn't address the path to improvement.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by 1ball

That's probably true for most. I'm thinking about taking away the option to vote on my stories. The score can tell something other than satisfaction level with the writing quality and doesn't address the path to improvement.

It's a thought. Why not go down the trusted friend route first, and see what happens? Some people often say on the end of their stories and in their profiles that they welcome feedback. Maybe you could try that too?