Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

New York City to ban "sugary drinks". Options · View
Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:15:14 PM

Hey all don't worry about LM and Magical_Felix if they seem 'snarky with each other they're just having fun. If one wasn't in NYC & the other in 'Bama they'd be having a beer tonight and enjoy picking at each other!!!!

Actually they'd be having a 16 oz. non-Lite beer and working on developing beer guts!!!! laughing3

Okay and I'd be having a beer with them, too!

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:22:11 PM

Buz wrote:
Hey all don't worry about LM and Magical_Felix if they seem 'snarky with each other they're just having fun. If one wasn't in NYC & the other in 'Bama they'd be having a beer tonight and enjoy picking at each other!!!!

Actually they'd be having a 16 oz. non-Lite beer and working on developing beer guts!!!! laughing3

Okay and I'd be having a beer with them, too!

That's right. It's all in good fun. Beer sounds good! And Buz, you'd be welcome to join us. Just don't wear any of that UGA crap. LOL

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:31:39 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

That's right. It's all in good fun. Beer sounds good! And Buz, you'd be welcome to join us. Just don't wear any of that UGA crap. LOL

Oh I'll be wearing my Dawg gear!!! Someone has to counterbalance that damn Roll Tide stuff. If we get too riled up we can always find us an Auburn Kitty Cat/Tweety Bird or whatever they call themselves to mutually stomp on. Magical_Felix would be quite entertained. I can't imagine he's ever seen anything like an Auburnoid anyhow.

laughing2 laughing3 laughing8

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:33:57 PM

Buz wrote:

Oh I'll be wearing my Dawg gear!!! Someone has to counterbalance that damn Roll Tide stuff. If we get too riles up we can always find us an Auburn Kitty Cat/Tweety Bird or whatever they call themselves to mutually stomp on. Magical_Felix would be quite entertained. I can't imagine he's ever seen anything like an Auburnoid anyhow.

My Alabama location is a decoy. No Roll Tide for me. Geaux Tigers!!!! Just don't mention the BCS game, Alabama, Nick Saban, Les Miles, or Jordan Jefferson. haha Stomping on Auburn is fine with me!

Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:39:15 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

My Alabama location is a decoy. No Roll Tide for me. Geaux Tigers!!!! Just don't mention the BCS game, Alabama, Nick Saban, Les Miles, or Jordan Jefferson. haha Stomping on Auburn is fine with me!

LM yes Geaux Tigers hates Auburn almost as much as 'Bama!!!

Dawgs & Tigers don't have quite bitter rivalry, we always end up getting drunk, cursing & partying with each other til the sun comes up!

So did you get tired of having alligators snap at you and decided to move to Alabama?

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:45:13 PM

Buz wrote:

LM yes Geaux Tigers hates Auburn almost as much as 'Bama!!!

Dawgs & Tigers don't have quite bitter rivalry, we always end up getting drunk, cursing & partying with each other til the sun comes up!

So did you get tired of having alligators snap at you and decided to move to Alabama?

Yea, I don't really have anything against the Dawgs. They always play hard but fair. Maybe one day I'll have to head up the road to Ga and catch a game.

Shh, don't tell anyone. I'm still in La. As the crow flies, Tiger Stadium is only about 5 miles away. And my gators don't snap at me, they're my pets. I hook up my pirogue to them and they pull me to work.

Nikki703
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:00:56 PM

As much as I disagree with what Bloomberg wants to do, maybe its because I think he is an ASS, I also do not think any of our rights an liberties are being taken away. You can still drink as much Coke or Pepsi as you like. You just have to buy more containers and maybe spend more money. But what I dont see is the logic behind allowing the larger containers to be sold in some places and not in others.

This is just another in the long line of crazy ideas Mr. Bloomberg has had, bike lanes that no one uses, pedestrian malls that create havoc with traffic patterns, no smoking in public parks (I am anti-smoking but this is crazy!), etc. I am just glad I dont live in NYC!
Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:07:23 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

Yea, I don't really have anything against the Dawgs. They always play hard but fair. Maybe one day I'll have to head up the road to Ga and catch a game.

Shh, don't tell anyone. I'm still in La. As the crow flies, Tiger Stadium is only about 5 miles away. And my gators don't snap at me, they're my pets. I hook up my pirogue to them and they pull me to work.

LM there was a great article (linked to ESPN.com) recently ranking all 120 Div. I college football stadiums for crowd, tradition, noise, just being an awesome place to watch college football. Both your LSU "Death Valley" and my UGA "Between the Hedges" are in the Top 6. Problem with the article is that they had Bryant-Denny #2 and Clemson's version of Death Valley at #1. Naaaaaa they missed on those don't ya think? haha Actually the Top 10 were on the money as for being in the Top 10, after that it is subjective. (I love Baton Rouge & New Orleans, home to some of the best food in the world!)

Okay — back to sugary drinks in New York City....

Bloomberg is a power hungry freak.

Shut down the subway and make everyone walk and burn those calories.

Wait! I am just kidding! I don't need the entire city of New York after my head.

Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:19:26 PM

OK, I'd like to jump in here, if I may (been one of those kinda days...)

As far as I can see, the issue is less to do with soda than the fact that people are so poorly educated (I don't often venture into these more weighty debates, but I have noticed that pretty much every time I do, I always end up saying the same)

I have a cousin who works in social work, here in the UK. Do you want to know what she actually does?

She goes into people's homes and shows them how to clean, how to cook simple meals, helps them to buy groceries, teaches them a little of budgeting... that sort of thing. She gets paid to do this..

When did parents and grandparents stop passing on their wisdom to their kids?

When did schools stop teaching basic life skills such as home economics? How to budget, how to cook, how to live as part of a society?

What happened?

We have become a helpless society. We cannot make decisions for ourselves anymore. We look to the government to take care of us. We take no responsibility for our actions. We blame everyone else.

At the end of the day, I don't really care if I cannot buy a giant cup of soda (I don't tend to drink it anyway). Sure, it would be a good thing to not have our citizens pigging out on junk food and soda. However, taking that away from them is an infringement on their right to choose, to live freely.

Not that they will care, not in the long term... Sure, they'll kick up a fuss initially, perhaps... The usual forum threads, FB votes etc... It'll peter out to nothing though... People are too lethargic and poorly educated to care.

(Obviously I am making huge sweeping statements here, as is my wont)

The other thing that worries me more than the issue of taking away a 'right' is how fucking powerful the drinks giants actually are.

How did they become so damned big that it actually takes the intervention from the bloody government to teach people that drinking so much soda might not be a good idea? Of course money is the answer, control too.

Hey, let's introduce a substance which is so addictive that people won't be able to stop ingesting it. Their need for it will be so great that when they become fat and helpless, even though they see it, they won't be able to stop. Let's get them so unfit and apathetic that they will simply do what we tell them...

Sugar is that substance... More addictive than heroin (or so I am told). OK, you are probably thinking that I'm getting things totally out of proportion but think about it. Think about the sort of things that people will do for their sugar hit... Eating disorders - all those wrappers hidden underneath the mattress, kids fighting over sweets and candy. Parents use it as a tool with which to control and punish their offspring - do that and you can/can't have candy, don't do that and you can/can't have candy. It becomes a reward very early on. When we don't have it, we crave it.

You know that sugar is a thief? As the body ingests sugar, the sugar 'steals' the vitamins, minerals and goodness. If you take (cheap) vitamin supplements, the sugar contained within leaches any goodness in them.

In the UK, cigarettes contain between 5-20% sugar - did I mention that it's supposed to be more addictive than heroin?? Why do people crave them so badly? Nicotine? Nah, sugar... If you are a smoker, tell me this, can you really (honestly) tell the difference between a hunger pang and a cigarette craving? Think about that one and get back to me...

Sugar is carcinogenic, I've already mentioned that it is a leach, that it is addictive. So, what we have is a substance that most of the nation are addicted to, crave, ingest WAY too much of... How can this be used to control a nation?

Well, they become sick, lethargic, obese... They are addicted, they need their hit.

Sugar is in pretty much everything - I'm not talking about natural sugars here - those can be processed and dealt with pretty well by our bodies and as part of a healthy, balanced diet, really pose little problem. I'm talking about refined sugars.

It's added to burger buns, yogurts, crisps (chips) - check out the fast food ingredients - it's in there, enticing us... Did I mention that it's in cigarettes??

(I realise that I am making terrible generalisations here. I will provide some links etc, it is a subject which I have studied at some length)

Now if people had more 'sense' they would know that all things in moderation is a good policy. They would realise that things are very fucked up when they are being 'controlled' in some way and that this control is the thin end of a very large wedge. They are addicts, poorly educated, lazy addicts at that...

I should also point out that as bad as sugar is, it pales in comparison to Aspartame and artificial sweeteners - that is a whole forum thread in and of itself... Seriously... I mean it...

I mean, if you haven't read the book 1984 by George Orwell, or Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, I'd heartily recommend them. It gives us a glimpse of what life could be like for us in the future...

In fact, Animal Farm, by George Orwell shows how we can have our minds changed for us and completely change our belief systems, forgetting what we once knew to be good, to be true...

OK, I've run our of steam for now (thank god you say, already asleep)

I wanna come back to this one...

(stupidly, I hit 'quick reply' - I'll edit the post and add in some links... )

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:24:03 PM

Mazza wrote:

I have a cousin who works in social work, here in the UK. Do you want to know what she actually does?

She goes into people's homes and shows them how to clean, how to cook simple meals, helps them to buy groceries, teaches them a little of budgeting... that sort of thing. She gets paid to do this..

When did schools stop teaching basic life skills such as home economics? How to budget, how to cook, how to live as part of a society?

What happened?

We have become a helpless society. We cannot make decisions for ourselves anymore. We look to the government to take care of us. We take no responsibility for our actions. We blame everyone else.

Before I head home for the night. This is the crux of soooo many of societies problems. Thank you Maz!!!

Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:24:09 PM

Mazza wrote:
I mean, if you haven't read the book 1984 by George Orwell, or Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, I'd heartily recommend them. It gives us a glimpse of what life could be like for us in the future...

In fact, Animal Farm, by George Orwell shows how we can have our minds changed for us and completely change our belief systems, forgetting what we once knew to be good, to be true...

Excellent book suggestions!

LadyX
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:25:01 PM

Great post, Mazza!

We flip out at the mere prospect that some statute will some day lead to the Government getting more power through outlaw of foods. Well what about the present-day power that corporations have over us with regard to that food right now?

I know ideally, neither would be the case. But as f'd up as the government (insert your own country here as you wish) can be, we really think multinational corporations have our best interests and our freedoms of choice as their priority?

Trick, please.

Shylass
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:43:50 PM

Mazza wrote:
(I don't often venture into these more weighty debates

laughing3

Top post, Maz (the whole thing).

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:46:18 PM

This seems oddly appropriate, no?
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:57:02 PM

So, instead of editing my previous post, I'll just add to it here... (sorry, I feel a tad strongly about this)

sugar should be a controlled substance

Quote:
If sugar were discovered today it would be classified as a “controlled substance”. If you look at the effect sugar has on the human body, it is just as powerful as many other substances on that mind altering list.

Sugar elevates your mood when taken in small doses. But the more you use, the more it takes to get the same effect. If you suddenly try to cut down your sugar intake drastically, do you get withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, mood swings and fatigue? Have you ever had sugar cravings so bad that would do almost anything to get some?

Doesn’t that sound like addiction behavior?

In today’s society there is really no way to cut sugar out of your diet completely. If you take time to look at labels you will find sugar almost everywhere. But your job should be to educate yourself and understand how eating excess sugar effects your blood sugar so your can learn to spot this “controlled substance” and keep it under control.

Some of the dangers of sugar

Quote:
Sugar is loaded into your soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks, and hidden in almost all processed foods—from bologna to pretzels to Worcestershire sauce to cheese spread. And now most infant formula has the sugar equivalent of one can of Coca-Cola, so babies are being metabolically poisoned from day one if taking formula.

No wonder there is an obesity epidemic in this country.

Today, 32 percent of Americans are obese and an additional one-third are overweight. Compare that to 1890, when a survey of white males in their fifties revealed an obesity rate of just 3.4 percent. In 1975, the obesity rate in America had reached 15 percent, and since then it has doubled.

Carrying excess weight increases your risk for deadly conditions such as heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes.

In 1893, there were fewer than three cases of diabetes per 100,000 people in the United States. Today, diabetes strikes almost 8,000 out of every 100,000 people.[1]

Loading cigarettes with sugar to hook the young

Quote:
Tobacco manufacturers are adding sugar and sweeteners in an effort to make cigarettes smoother - in what is being branded a cynical attempt to lure young smokers and turn them into addicts.

Tobacco manufacturers are adding sugar and sweeteners in an effort to make cigarettes smoother - in what is being branded a cynical attempt to lure young smokers and turn them into addicts
New research, published in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology, reveals that some cigarette firms are using additives such as plum juice, maple syrup and honey to make their products taste better.

But, according to scientists, the sweeteners increase the smokers' risk of cancer.

The study looked at sweet additives put into cigarettes by five big tobacco firms - British American Tobacco, Philip Morris, RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company, Gallaher, and Japan Tobacco International. The details come from the firms' websites.

The researchers say the firms do this because "the addition of sugars in tobacco can enhance tobacco use in at least two ways - neutralisation of the harsh taste of cigarette smoke and generation of acetaldehyde, which increases the addictive effect of nicotine... Moreover, the sweet taste and the agreeable smell of caramelised sugar flavours are appreciated in particular by starting adolescent smokers."

OK, that's just a little information... I urge you to take a look...

The problem is HUGE... At least think about it...

I want to talk about Aspartame too, but I think that may be for another thread...
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:26:17 PM

Xicana wrote:
Ugh, you two (LM and Felix) are getting a bit out of hand. Take a chill pill.

Look, just pipe down when there is man talk going on. Good lord!

Typical girl coming in and saying STOP after everything has happened...laughing8

Reminds me of this one time my friend knocked another friend out cold and THEN the girl came in and was like, "stop don't fight!" Girl.. that fool is knocked out.. What fight you stopping? Shit's over...

No pues wow, que lela!

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:29:06 PM

Buz wrote:

Magical_Felix would be quite entertained. I can't imagine he's ever seen anything like an Auburnoid anyhow.

I know not of what you speak. So your imagination is spot on.

Dirty_D
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:36:50 PM

Mazza wrote:
OK, I'd like to jump in here, if I may (been one of those kinda days...)

As far as I can see, the issue is less to do with soda than the fact that people are so poorly educated (I don't often venture into these more weighty debates, but I have noticed that pretty much every time I do, I always end up saying the same)

What happened?

At the end of the day, I don't really care if I cannot buy a giant cup of soda (I don't tend to drink it anyway). Sure, it would be a good thing to not have our citizens pigging out on junk food and soda. However, taking that away from them is an infringement on their right to choose, to live freely.

Not that they will care, not in the long term... Sure, they'll kick up a fuss initially, perhaps... The usual forum threads, FB votes etc... It'll peter out to nothing though... People are too lethargic and poorly educated to care.

(Obviously I am making huge sweeping statements here, as is my wont)

The other thing that worries me more than the issue of taking away a 'right' is how fucking powerful the drinks giants actually are.

How did they become so damned big that it actually takes the intervention from the bloody government to teach people that drinking so much soda might not be a good idea? Of course money is the answer, control too.

Hey, let's introduce a substance which is so addictive that people won't be able to stop ingesting it. Their need for it will be so great that when they become fat and helpless, even though they see it, they won't be able to stop. Let's get them so unfit and apathetic that they will simply do what we tell them...

Sugar is that substance... More addictive than heroin (or so I am told). OK, you are probably thinking that I'm getting things totally out of proportion but think about it. Think about the sort of things that people will do for their sugar hit... Eating disorders - all those wrappers hidden underneath the mattress, kids fighting over sweets and candy. Parents use it as a tool with which to control and punish their offspring - do that and you can/can't have candy, don't do that and you can/can't have candy. It becomes a reward very early on. When we don't have it, we crave it.

You know that sugar is a thief? As the body ingests sugar, the sugar 'steals' the vitamins, minerals and goodness. If you take (cheap) vitamin supplements, the sugar contained within leaches any goodness in them.

In the UK, cigarettes contain between 5-20% sugar - did I mention that it's supposed to be more addictive than heroin?? Why do people crave them so badly? Nicotine? Nah, sugar... If you are a smoker, tell me this, can you really (honestly) tell the difference between a hunger pang and a cigarette craving? Think about that one and get back to me...

Sugar is carcinogenic, I've already mentioned that it is a leach, that it is addictive. So, what we have is a substance that most of the nation are addicted to, crave, ingest WAY too much of... How can this be used to control a nation?

Well, they become sick, lethargic, obese... They are addicted, they need their hit.

Sugar is in pretty much everything - I'm not talking about natural sugars here - those can be processed and dealt with pretty well by our bodies and as part of a healthy, balanced diet, really pose little problem. I'm talking about refined sugars.

It's added to burger buns, yogurts, crisps (chips) - check out the fast food ingredients - it's in there, enticing us... Did I mention that it's in cigarettes??

(I realise that I am making terrible generalisations here. I will provide some links etc, it is a subject which I have studied at some length)

Now if people had more 'sense' they would know that all things in moderation is a good policy. They would realise that things are very fucked up when they are being 'controlled' in some way and that this control is the thin end of a very large wedge. They are addicts, poorly educated, lazy addicts at that...

I should also point out that as bad as sugar is, it pales in comparison to Aspartame and artificial sweeteners - that is a whole forum thread in and of itself... Seriously... I mean it...

OK, I've run our of steam for now (thank god you say, already asleep)

I wanna come back to this one...

(stupidly, I hit 'quick reply' - I'll edit the post and add in some links... )

Big Hugs <standing clapping!

asleep
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:47:57 PM

Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:11:10 PM

They're only banning the sale of sugary drinks in a serving size of more than 16 ounces, thereby making the size of "Large" more in line with the rest of the planet's interpretation of it.

Ever bought a large size drink at the movie theatre? You need two hands to carry it. Completely ridiculous. Combine that with a trough of popcorn in those wheelbarrow sized buckets and it starts to make people think that's "normal"...

What did you eat today, little Johnny? Nothing, mom, just a soda and some popcorn at the movies.

I don't have any issue with the idea of portion-control. You're not depriving anyone and the true gluttons can just buy two servings of pop if they feel the need to consume that much.

Not a fan of imposing limitations because people are too dumb to set them themselves, but if it helps re-set kids interpretations of what size 'large' is supposed to be when it comes to fast-food, then I don't think it's that's bad of an idea.

What she said back on page ONE!!

Rick

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

mal0003
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:49:32 PM

I really hate to talk politics because it typically doesn't end well. But let's have big government control, regulate and dictate more of our lives! NO THANKS! icon_smile Respectfully of course, Randy
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:55:42 PM

myself
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:57:49 PM

http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p/SodaStream-Fountain-Jet-Red-Soda-Maker-Starter-Kit/-/A-
don't you love capitalism : ) Now were getting overrun by homemade soda makers since the soda tax and ban talks began. Another way to make a buck in this mess. Very funny.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:18:54 PM

I never buy a Coke (or soda) at the theater. I like to sneak cold beers in my wife's purse or inside my jacket. But I do love all that buttery popcorn. (I know that isn't healthy, but an occasional splurge won't kill me – I hope!) Just burn as many calories as you intake and eat healthy a lot of the time.

Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:10:00 PM

love10 Mazza, I think I love you.
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:15:44 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Look, just pipe down when there is man talk going on. Good lord!

Typical girl coming in and saying STOP after everything has happened...laughing8

Reminds me of this one time my friend knocked another friend out cold and THEN the girl came in and was like, "stop don't fight!" Girl.. that fool is knocked out.. What fight you stopping? Shit's over...

No pues wow, que lela!

Jackie baby, if there were two men talking, maybe I'd let it go... But you're a pussy catcat
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:18:30 PM

Xicana wrote:

Jackie baby, if there were two men talking, maybe I'd let it go... But you're a pussy catcat

You are what you eat, as they say.

Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 11:21:09 AM

Xicana wrote:
love10 Mazza, I think I love you.

Oooooh!!!

grinning
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 3:29:52 PM

When Big Gulps are outlawed, only outlaws will have Big Gulps.
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 3:30:59 PM

stephanie
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 5:39:45 PM

Mazza wrote:

What happened?

Brilliantly put, in a nutshell.....

In Ireland, the Welfare State has become a LIFESTYLE for the underclass.... A trained journalist, I currently work as a Chef, (I trained as a chef to put myself through college) as the global recession bites. I do the work I can. I ain't too proud to work a blue-collar job. I'm TOO DAMNED PROUD to go on welfare. (The underclass assume that The State OWES them a living wage?????)

Well, that's not what what it's supposed to be about. I pay my taxes. Because when people get in trouble, it's good that the system can help out... TEMPORARILY...... You know what, it's fucked up. Kids leave school now, having seen their own parents live for decades on government hand-outs and the very IDEA of working for a living is anathema to them.....

The tail is beginning to wag the dog, people.....

And I'm a Socialist Liberal.......

xx SF

"Is there a PLACE in this city to always feel this way?" (The Blue Nile)