Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should we boycott items if knowing their history or being religious in assocation? Options · View
MarySweets
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:28:00 PM

I was watching my dvds of "John Safran vs God" and came across this clip where John talks about religion boycotts.

John is Jewish and he retells the story of how his friend's mother once gave him a lecture of items that were associated with the Nazis and the holocaust.

After seeing this clip which starts from 3:45 to 6:43 it made me think. If I had known such things as Fanta being created during the reign of Nazi Germany maybe I should rethink about it.

What are your thoughts after watching the clip?

"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 5:25:21 AM

You could probably argue against I.G. Farben and the companies that used slave labour, but it would be retarded to boycot VW and Fanta just because they were made during Hitler's reign. VW stands for Volks Wagen, or People Wagon in English. It wasn't meant to be a transport for Jews to the concentrationcamps. Besides, the workers, administration and management in all these companies have been swapped out since WWII. Are you gonna keep going on the good old "Sins of our fathers" road and not seperate the past from the present? If so, then you should start doing some research in the Concentrationcamps the US had set up for the Japanese during WWII. Have a boycot on the companies that supplied the timber and construction work for those camps.

Or maybe you as an Aussie should check out the companies that did all the shitty stuff that happened to the Aboriginals? If we're gonna keep holding the past against the people who had pretty much nothing to do with it then we're gonna end up with a resentful fucked up world. If nothing else then you should at least stop purchasing stuff that has "Made in China" on them.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Buz
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 5:46:15 AM

The Volkswagen Beetle was partially designed by Adolph Hiter.
Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, etc. all made tanks and war vehicles for the Nazis.
Mitsubishi built the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor.
The Nazis certainly were not Christians. The broke all of those precepts. In fact they wanted to exterminate 'God's chosen people.' In fact they even tried publishing material claiming Hitler was the Christ, anything for their propaganda machine.
They were also working on a Nazi State religion based on worshiping their German Aryan ancestors.

Japanese Shinto did an overhaul of their religion upon losing WWII and tried to erase the militarism out of it.

Many religious organizations probably do much more than anyone else about feeding and clothing the poor.

Where and at what do you draw the line on boycotts? There are tons of entanglements. You may find that you can't purchase anything.

I think of all the current New England super rich 'blue bloods' whose family fortunes was originally made running slave ships to the south and Caribbean from Africa. That money is now invested in owning 'legitimate' companies.

The Las Vegas gambling empire was started on Mafia blood money.

The list can go on and on...

MarySweets
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 7:31:21 AM

I think that is what John was trying to get at. Even though it was interesting trivia on products and companies that are still in use today. I think he was saying let's leave the past in the past even if such things were associated with atrocities.

"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
1ball
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 9:37:41 AM

If humanitarian reasons are the reason for a boycott, I am more prone to boycotting entire societies than particular companies. It is the society that empowers the government that abuses the power. I see no point in boycotting the current societies of Germany or Japan. If a company takes a particular position that I'm opposed to, I'll boycott it until they change their position or until a boycott does me more harm than them.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
LadyX
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 9:38:51 AM

I think boycotting companies for their current business practices is the only kind that really makes sense.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:27:04 AM

LadyX wrote:
I think boycotting companies for their current business practices is the only kind that really makes sense.

Agreed. After all, IBM made the accounting machines the Nazis used to keep track of the populations in the camps. Does that mean I should never buy an IBM product? Of course, I know a guy that will never buy a Japanese car because of what the Japanese soldiers did during the Bataan death march. So it's a personal thing. I'm not planning on trying to change his mind any time soon.

Ruthie
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 3:36:21 PM

WWII is over. Whatever VW or Mercedes or IBM did during the war is irrelevant. Boycotting companies for what their management did in the 1930's and 40's is like trying the grandchildren and great grandchildren of Nazis for war crimes.

On the other hand, boycotting a product because you disagree with the political policy their company has today is fine with me. People need to be held accountable for what they do not what their ancestors did.
Kitanica
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 7:29:51 PM

I'm not to concerned with Nazis, they werent to bright.. they thought that the Aryans used to be kings of africa who built the ruins in Zimbabwe and claimed they were the first humans. let them have vw, the one thing they got right.
Juicyme
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:52:22 PM

This came up this week between my mother, aunt and myself. I don't buy Starbucks because they're a pro-Israel company and opt to workout by myself instead of at Curves because they donate to anti-gay campaigns. My family contested that boycotting companies is irrelevant and outdated because every corporation or company has ties to something that we don't like. While this logic does ring true, I work very hard for my earnings. If my money is ultimately going to end up in the hands of "evil" per say. then I believe that it shouldn't be a direct route.

I think that when people truly do boycott something (and not just follow a fad for two weeks) that it's a personal choice that is usually very, very personal or close to them. While I say that we should protest organizations and companies that are recent, feel free to not buy anything you want.
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:05:28 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:

Agreed. After all, IBM made the accounting machines the Nazis used to keep track of the populations in the camps. Does that mean I should never buy an IBM product? Of course, I know a guy that will never buy a Japanese car because of what the Japanese soldiers did during the Bataan death march. So it's a personal thing. I'm not planning on trying to change his mind any time soon.

I have a friend that's the same way about Vietnamese things and people. I would never try to change his mind. Too painful and personal.

I also have to wonder about the sins of our fathers statement from Elit. Does that mean no reparations for slavery as they've talked about? If we hold to the theory about the sins then there shouldn't be any. Right?
LadyX
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:38:34 AM

Exactly, besides financial reparations being impractical to implement. Where would that money come from?

Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 11:29:31 AM

Unless it's some deeply personal situation as others have pointed out, boycotting something for its history is highly impractical. The past is the past, nothing can be done to change it, so just learn lessons and move on. Boycott companies or items for their current affairs.
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:23:47 PM

People also forget that the German people weren't Nazi's on their own. They were forced into it. As some of the Jews worked for Hitler and is "boys" so were a lot/most of German citizens.