Grammar

last reply
27 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I can't be the only one who has experience this, can I?

http://www.fmylife.com/intimacy/19799691

Today, I was reading erotic literature and noticed several errors in syntax, resulting in my "mood" being killed. I was cockblocked by my need for grammatical correctness. FML
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Where are the Grammar Nazis?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by elitfromnorth
I can't be the only one who has experience this, can I?

http://www.fmylife.com/intimacy/19799691

Today, I was reading erotic literature and noticed several errors in syntax, resulting in my "mood" being killed. I was cockblocked by my need for grammatical correctness. FML

I see that a lot, too. It's like proofreading is far off the radar or something.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you believe that u and r are words then please don't waste your time contacting me. I do not speak computerese nor textese. If you do then it's definite turnoff for me. We have a beautiful language, learn how to use it correctly.
Sophisticate
0 likes
Quote by PersonalAssistant
Where are the Grammar Nazis?

They are the mods verifying stories here on Lush.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by principessa

They are the mods verifying stories here on Lush.

Clumeleon
0 likes
grammer whats that? u dont need gd speling nd grammer to get a story on here rite? well nobody tell me, i fot we cd post nethin

bk to teh drawn bored i spose cba.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have to admit: if the grammar is bad, I just cannot get into it. The same goes for news stories. I hate seeing how lazy/uneducated reporters have become. They're lucky to have a job these days, too; how can they be so nonchalant about it?

I certainly don't claim to be a grammar wiz (I'm sure there are a few overlooked issues with some of my own stories; admittedly, I don't proof-read enough!), but if it's just horrendously incorrect in grammar, or the writing is really broken and does not flow, I have to move on.

I know a lot of people say that they just never really learned it in school. Come on. I moved to 16 different schools in secondary school. I never took grammar formerly (but I took both Civics and Biology twice lol). By the time I went to college, I didn't need to; I'd taught myself. So, there's no excuse for bad grammar, IMO. Buy yourself some grammar books and teach yourself. That's what I did (how well I did remains debatable lol).

I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel...

Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by clum
grammer whats that? u dont need gd speling nd grammer to get a story on here rite? well nobody tell me, i fot we cd post nethin

bk to teh drawn bored i spose cba.

I have wrote 3 bks n have ovr 600 strs rite 4 other sites. I wnt put my stuff here n ull b sorry.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Overall grammar is important; especially commas.

^extra incentives to use them.

I hope this helps.
Are you truly awake?
Lurker
0 likes
For most people, grammar is something they have to think about, and when they become angry and start yelling irrationally, their grammar slips.

Mine just gets better when I'm enraged and screaming at someone. (Sign #2,457,863 that I'm a grammar Nazi ).
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I am not alone! biggrin ... If a story has too many grammatical errors I get an instant buzz kill! It's like someone just flipped the off switch on my horny.
Just do it! Life won't wait for you and I don't think I will either!
Lurker
0 likes
NO! You're not alone. I have a major issue when people can't be bothered at least making an effort to use grammar and spelling. What you write in a text message to your friends is up to you, but not in a document that can be read by several others. Bad spelling and grammar is such a major turn-off to me!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Some grammatical errors jump right out at me and throw me off, but bad grammar is sometimes a characteristic of the character and helps to add realism to the story. So rather than stumble, it adds to the mood. It's probably more negative than positive in most cases.
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by Supernova
NO! You're not alone. I have a major issue when people can't be bothered at least making an effort to use grammar and spelling. What you write in a text message to your friends is up to you, but not in a document that can be read by several others. Bad spelling and grammar is such a major turn-off to me!!!

So true!
Just do it! Life won't wait for you and I don't think I will either!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
If the grammar in a story is bad, just listen to the audio, if it has audio.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I agree that bad grammar, in most cases, is a turnoff. Also multiple spelling errors and improper use of punctuation or abbreviations is bothersome to me as well. To me, it indicates the author could not be bothered to check, or ask a friend or another author to proof the story.
Lurker
0 likes
Aha! I am like that as well. I often find myself correcting the grammar in some stories. If it's too bad, I just won't read it.
I'm not saying I have the best grammar either, but it just gets to me.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
I am totally like that. But it's not just erotic literature. I've ignored texts, e-mails, lab reports, etc. just because of horrible grammar. I'm not a COMPLETE Nazi, but the their/there/they're and the your/you're debacle is where I draw the line. If used incorrectly, I'm definitely gonna judge you for it.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Part of the reason I gave up being a moderator was that I could not correct all the grammatical errors that I encountered and I felt bad returning some stories to their authors. Along with spelling mistakes and bad editing, story verification was becoming a big job. My advice to authors is to have a broad minded friend or relative read your poem or story. Sometimes a fresh perspective can pinpoint problems that you missed. Failing that, please spend some time editing - it makes all the difference.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Betheny
If you believe that u and r are words then please don't waste your time contacting me. I do not speak computerese nor textese. If you do then it's definite turnoff for me. We have a beautiful language, learn how to use it correctly.
I couldn't agree more!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
While most of us here are not professional writers, mistakes will happen. However, using a spell check/grammar check program before submitting the story would help reduce the errors. Stories with errors just turn me off. I am not a "grammar nazi" but I do believe that everyone should take pride in their work. Submitting stories which have grammatical or spelling errors is not showing pride of work.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Piquet
Part of the reason I gave up being a moderator was that I could not correct all the grammatical errors that I encountered and I felt bad returning some stories to their authors. Along with spelling mistakes and bad editing, story verification was becoming a big job. My advice to authors is to have a broad minded friend or relative read your poem or story. Sometimes a fresh perspective can pinpoint problems that you missed. Failing that, please spend some time editing - it makes all the difference.

And now you know the rest of the story.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Seeing that I hold an English degree, grammar and content weigh heavily on me, not only as a reader, but as a writer also.

I have seen so many stories here get approved with so many grammatical errors, I often wonder how they even get past the approval process myself.

That's why when I write a story, before I even send it off for approval to the moderators, I always make sure I proofread my story at least three or four times.

I always do the editing myself. Very seldom do I have someone else read a story. That's because of personal reasons.

I take the time to make sure my stories make sense in both grammar and content before I ever send them off for approval. I want my readers to be pleased by my stories and respect me as a writer.

And I have to say, I have received that respect so far as a member here and I do hope that I continue to receive that in the future.
"So don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
Don't lie to me,
Just get your things.
I've made up your mind."

--Evanescence
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I know my writing isn't perfect, but I do try my best to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. I also proof my own work and reread the majority of my stuff through at least 4 times, often more. Poorly written stories definitely turn me off, and I will usually not even read them through.
Lurker
0 likes
Grammar police have no place in writing, unless for text books. It afens me brains
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don.t mind the odd slip. Also, I can accept it if it's part of a characterisation. If it affects my enjoyment, I give up and move on.