Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Legal Prostitution? Options · View
Exudeoshun
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 10:44:38 PM

Hey all! My first venture into actually creating a topic...

I came across an article about the prostitution that is legal in Nevada which led to me to engage in research and debates. I wanted to know what my fellow Lush Readers thought about it.

Background information: In certain areas of Nevada, specifically towns with a population of less than 40,000, prostitution may be legal as long as all financial transactions occur within a licensed brothel. There's a whole lot of legal jargon that goes into more detail but that's the overall gist.

Since this form of sex work is (at least somewhat) sanctioned by the government, there are certain controls in place. There are various medical tests the workers must take on a weekly, monthly, and yearly basis. Also condoms/dams are mandatory for all types of sexual contact.

My question is, What are YOUR thoughts on legalized prostitution?
1. Can it be a solution for the rampant illegal street prostitution and or sex trade?
2. Are the workers (mostly women) "victims of the sex industry"?
3. Does the condom requirement make legal prostitution a more plausible occupation for men and women?

And I'd love to hear any other opinions you may have.

_________________________________Addition_____________________________________________

-------Ok, I guess there's no better place to be honest than here...

I've done extensive research into this because I'm interested in becoming a legal prostitute.
Not for the money, or the quick sex, or because I have a pimp (because I don't).

It's because I want to share my ability to pleasure people.
It's as simple as that.
But there are a lot of implications that go along with this...
Morals, ethics, long term consequences, health, etc
How screwed up I must be to want to sell my body right?!

Here's the thing though. I consider myself to be pretty normal. I'm in college, and I have a steady job.
For all you know, I could be your neighbor, your friend,.. maybe even your daughter.

I want to assert my sexual freedom in the safety of a legal environment, and if I can make a profit from it - well, even better.

I guess that's all I got to say for now...

"Sex is sacred,
savage,
supernatural,
and I embrace its every form."
-Unknown
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:41:13 PM

I'm in favor of prostitution being legal, or at least not illegal. I don't like to think of sex as a commodity, but it is on a lot of levels. Street prostitutes are exploited by pimps, police and courts. Girls on the street are often the target of violence. I think brothels could help eliminate a lot of the violence done to prostitutes. We should be willing to regulate them and hold them to standards though. The actual sex worker should make the profit, not a pimp or madam. Legalization would eliminate the need to bribe policemen and judges, eliminating a major role of pimps and madams. We'd have to watch out for corruption in the government agency that regulated prostitution, of course. Adults should be able to do what they want with other consenting adults, including exchanging money.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 10:52:11 PM

CoopsRuthie wrote:
I'm in favor of prostitution being legal, or at least not illegal. I don't like to think of sex as a commodity, but it is on a lot of levels. Street prostitutes are exploited by pimps, police and courts. Girls on the street are often the target of violence. I think brothels could help eliminate a lot of the violence done to prostitutes. We should be willing to regulate them and hold them to standards though. The actual sex worker should make the profit, not a pimp or madam. Legalization would eliminate the need to bribe policemen and judges, eliminating a major role of pimps and madams. We'd have to watch out for corruption in the government agency that regulated prostitution, of course. Adults should be able to do what they want with other consenting adults, including exchanging money.

I pretty much agree with everything you've said here, Ruthie. Keeping in mind, though, that if prostitution actually were decriminalized on a large scale here in the US, it would become just another commodity of labor, to be institutionalized by whoever had pockets deep enough to form the most efficient corporation for the purpose. Just like carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and all other forms of skilled labor, you would find some "sole proprietor" brothels run by independents, but by and large, all the really profitable brothels would be run by corporations that specialize in marketing and advertising, and they would maximize their profit margins by exploiting their employees as much as they possibly could -- for the sake of the almighty dollar.

I do think that legalized (and especially regulated) prostitution would be good for America overall. We would have to carefully watch the politicians who wrote the laws governing it lest it become as rife with corruption as every other government-regulated facet of society.

Pelicanbill
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 11:05:18 PM

Quick reply. Its the oldest known trade, who made it illegal?
Milik_Redman
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 7:15:20 AM

I have always supported a woman's right to take full ownership of her sexuality. I do not look down on her for keeping her virtue or for sharing her body with whomever she desires for whatever reason she chooses.
If a woman wishes to have sex for love, lust or personal gain it should be her choice. Governments should have no say in how she chooses to share her body. Isn't that the same argument te gay community makes?

β€œIt is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

My Editors Choice Award Winning Stories.

Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 9:56:27 AM

I'm all for it legalizing Prositution..what awomen does with her body is up to her not anyone else if she wants to have sex for money thats up to her,nobody forces a guy to pay for it they pay because they want to..
sweetaz
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 4:08:41 AM

Prostitution is legal in New Zealand. I would think that if your working in an establishment then the health checks would indeed be mandatory. Your there to make money and its not good business practice to have irresponsible workers who don't or won't have the checks you will soon be out of a job and the establishment wll get a tainted reputation ... Not good for business. The concept of safe work practice comes to mind body and soul. You could become self employed and work out of suburbia on the inner city which would make it easier for foot traffic, or you could indeed work with more elite clients nice to have an option. Whatever your option you do take it pays to look after yourself regardless.
carolinafun
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:50:05 PM

prostitution should absolutely be legalized...if elected officials can sell their votes (and they do everyday in some form or fashion) then women AND MEN should be able to sell sexual gratification....and while they're at it - legalize marijuana too!
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:11:47 PM

This is a lot like the debate over marijuana. In the grand scheme of things, would the world be a better place if nobody ever got high? Probably. But since that does not seem to be a realistic possibility, it's probably better to make it legal and then try to at least regulate it.

To my way of thinking, prostitution is not a good thing. It is dangerous for the prostitutes, not a great thing from a moral/ethical standpoint, bad from a public health perspective, and the world would certainly be a better place if all sex was happy and consensual, and not the subject of cash transactions. But since eliminating prostitution does not seem to be a realistic possibility, the "down sides" might be kept to a minimum if it was legal and regulated. For all sorts of reasons, illegal prostitution is a very, very dangerous thing.
ArtMan
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:14:49 PM

Yes prostitution should be legal. Those that make it a crime are the immoral criminals. Shame on them!

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

JessicaX
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:22:52 PM

Carolinafun said it better than I could ever imagine anyone else ever saying.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:10:13 PM

not_yet_famous wrote:
...To my way of thinking, prostitution is not a good thing. It is dangerous for the prostitutes, not a great thing from a moral/ethical standpoint, bad from a public health perspective, and the world would certainly be a better place if all sex was happy and consensual, and not the subject of cash transactions. But since eliminating prostitution does not seem to be a realistic possibility, the "down sides" might be kept to a minimum if it was legal and regulated. For all sorts of reasons, illegal prostitution is a very, very dangerous thing.

Suddenly I'm curious. Sure, prostitution is dangerous for the prostitutes now... but if it were legalized, it most certainly could be made over into an industry just as safe as any other. The same goes for the "public health" issue. Legalize it, and it can be made safe and healthy for everyone involved. Why do you think that it's "not a great thing" morally and ethically? Is it because you don't believe in extramarital or premarital sex? Or is it for some other reason? I really want to know how you feel about this.

I believe that prostitution is merely hiring oneself out to perform a personal service for someone else. Nothing more, nothing less. Some put it in the same vein as getting a massage, a manicure, or a haircut. Personally, I rank prostitutes more on a level with psychologists, or other personal therapists. Prostitutes allow people to blow off steam and tension that they have built up inside them. If they choose to visit a prostitute, great for them. Other people play sports, run laps, or get drunk. If I was feeling a lot of tension and had to get rid of it in some way I'd much rather be able to get a quick blowjob from a respected professional than go to a bar and tie one on. But that's just me.

Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:30:57 AM

If you think that all "legalized" prostitution will be just like going to a therapist, you are not living in the real world. Perhaps there are some prostitutes who view themselves that way, and for whom it is a "calling." But I would bet those will always be a minority. The majority of prostitutes will always be young women who are selling themselves for financial reasons, and who are treated like products in the process, for others to buy, sell and profit from. I'm not passing moral judgment on the women for doing it: like everyone, they are probably just dealing with their circumstances, and trying to get by as best they can.

To be clear, I'm in favor of legalizing it, because I think the legal version would be better than the underground, illegal version. But I don't kid myself into thinking that legalized prostitution will be a sunny, happy, wonderful thing.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:22:45 PM

Throughout most of written history prostitution has been legal. It becoming illegal is a very recent and stupid development in our history. Of course it should be legal. It would be much safer because then permits and licenses would be required proving the prostitutes were disease free, etc. They would be taxed required to have a business license, all that shit. It would eliminate most pimps. But just because something makes sense don't expect it to happen. Whether or not the prostitutes would be happy in their job or not doesn't matter. There are thousands of legal jobs that fail to make the job holders happy. The jobs pay their bills.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:04:35 PM

not_yet_famous wrote:
If you think that all "legalized" prostitution will be just like going to a therapist, you are not living in the real world. Perhaps there are some prostitutes who view themselves that way, and for whom it is a "calling." But I would bet those will always be a minority. The majority of prostitutes will always be young women who are selling themselves for financial reasons, and who are treated like products in the process, for others to buy, sell and profit from. I'm not passing moral judgment on the women for doing it: like everyone, they are probably just dealing with their circumstances, and trying to get by as best they can.

To be clear, I'm in favor of legalizing it, because I think the legal version would be better than the underground, illegal version. But I don't kid myself into thinking that legalized prostitution will be a sunny, happy, wonderful thing.

I never said that's how others will view it - I said that I see it that way. I can only wish that the rest of America would come around to seeing things my way. And I don't try to put myself in the place of one of these girls and guess what their motivations are. I'm still curious about why you think the entire institution is immoral and unethical, yet you favor legalizing it. At least we agree on one thing: Legalized prostitution would be better for the workers than the present state.

Buz
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:21:07 AM

I would fathom to say that prostitutes are much more moral and honest on average than either lawyers or used car salesmen.

nazhinaz
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:40:33 AM

I feel the issue of legalized prostitution should be viewed in the light of two dimensions.
1. Any service or commodity in demand can never be stopped by imposing bans or prohibitive laws.
Even in Saudi Arabia, Alcohalic drinks and girls for fun are available, though illegal. No one can stop the supply of a commodity or service which is demanded in a society.
2. Clamping prohibitive laws on service like prostitution is against human freedoms and indiviual rights.
Why ban a commodity or service which will contine to be available, wether legal or illegal.
Especially it is fundamental human right to choose whatever profession or service one likes to have.
I will surely second the opinion that laws should be there to make the service available without harming or endangering health of others.
Keir500
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:24:12 PM

In terms of the moralities of whether prostitution should be legalised, I think society needs to finally accept that some men just aren't good with women, and will never (or very rarely) have sex. So it helps those guys. I also think it's very much a woman's choice and if she wants to sell her body and people want to buy, I see no problem in that transaction - it's up to them.

If prostitution does become legalised (I live in the UK, in which it is illegal) but only to licensed brothels, that will surely be a good thing in every aspect. It will mean the both the prostitutes and the clients in the brothel are safer (sexually), and it will drive street-whores off the, well, street. After all, when a man has a choice between paying for an illegal woman who is probably carrying STDs, and a woman who has been given a health check and is perfectly legal, he's gonna go to the brothel worker. Street prostitution can be very dangerous as neither the woman nor man has been checked for A) violence or B) STDs.

I really can't see the downsides of making it legal.
Delphi
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:15:42 PM

I've never had, been, or met a prostitute. But I agree with all freedom so long as you're not knowingly hurting anyone. I don't see the problem in legalizing prostitution.

The Delphi/Dirty_D collaboration - a winner of the Series Award!
blazestcyr
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:26:20 AM

it is the oldest profession in the world...tax & regulate it...it will ALWAYS be here...period...if it is regulated perhaps the underage girls & the abusive pimps will be curtailed

i dont know why most of america still sees sex as a dirty thing..it is normal, natural & beautiful

& if you just want a paid RELEASEm why the hell not

lord knows guys & gals have been paying for it for years with dinner & drinks
ramrod32784
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:00:28 AM

It definitely should be legalized.It can provide a larger tax base,cut down on stds and reduce hea lth care costs,and employment at fair prices.It can reduce crimeand no one has ever been able to legislate morality.
Graham_X
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:20:59 AM

I must admit I am undecided on the issue but, just to play devil's advocate here:

How would you feel if you were on a business trip with your boss and your boss insisted you both visit a brothel?

What if you had to entertain a business associate in order to win a contract and the associate wanted you both to visit a brothel?

How would you feel if your partner came home after a night out with the boss and said they'd had to visit a brothel? Even if they claimed they did nothing, would you entirely believe them?

How would people feel if visiting a brothel became a normal part of a girls/guys night out?

Just put a new story up called Venus: My Mistress In Leather and Lace. It seems a long time since I have written any prose, been seduced by prosody. Anyway, please feel free to check it out - Thank you xxx
adele
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 5:19:17 PM

Graham_X wrote:
I must admit I am undecided on the issue but, just to play devil's advocate here:

How would you feel if you were on a business trip with your boss and your boss insisted you both visit a brothel?

What if you had to entertain a business associate in order to win a contract and the associate wanted you both to visit a brothel?

How would you feel if your partner came home after a night out with the boss and said they'd had to visit a brothel? Even if they claimed they did nothing, would you entirely believe them?

How would people feel if visiting a brothel became a normal part of a girls/guys night out?

I would say any boss who insisted you visit a brothel would be in line for a sexual harassment suit. Any business associate who insisted on that would be someone I wanted to do business with. I could use as an example, a boss or business associate who insisted you drink alcohol, even though you were an alcoholic.

For your third question, I think I would support my spouse unless I had good reason to doubt his/her word. As to the last, I don't see that happening a whole lot more than it already does. If people are predisposed to pay for sex, they will do it whether it is legal or not.

I think legalizing prostitution (and marijuana for that matter) would make streets safer, provide something else for the government to tax and raise revenue, and make it safer for the people involved in the trade.

There is no mark of self,
And no mark of others,
No mark of living beings,
And no mark of a life.

-- The Diamond Sutra
1ball
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 5:43:03 PM

It should be legal for the simple reason that there is no valid moral reason for making it illegal. What two consenting adults do is not the government's or the society's business and no amount of pretending otherwise changes that. All the arguments against prostitution presume that adults are not capable of making decisions about their own pursuit of happiness and to allow governments the power to presume that is to give competitive advantage away to other societies. Think of how many tourism dollars Nevada attracts away from other states by having legalized "sin" (gambling and prostitution).

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:44:59 AM

1ball wrote:
It should be legal for the simple reason that there is no valid moral reason for making it illegal. What two consenting adults do is not the government's or the society's business and no amount of pretending otherwise changes that. All the arguments against prostitution presume that adults are not capable of making decisions about their own pursuit of happiness and to allow governments the power to presume that is to give competitive advantage away to other societies. Think of how many tourism dollars Nevada attracts away from other states by having legalized "sin" (gambling and prostitution).

Fully endose your views.
Governments should be more concerned about their taxation and mainainting the health of the girls and men in order to earn them more taxes.
Even otherwise, consenting adults are not and should not be prosecuted for making love or fornication anywhere in USA.
The only difference is the issue of money involved.
The deal will either be in kind or cash & surely no consenting party would disclose it to government, thus avoiding the taxes involved.
pbsare4me
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 1:29:39 PM

Graham_X wrote:

I don't drink; but I've been places that serve alcohol. I just get something else. I also don't smoke, but for the sake of being with my friends or business acquaintances, I'll put up with the stench. If I'm with friends or business associates in a brothel, I'm sure I can watch the TV or read a magazine while they do their thing.
Ultimately, people are responsible for their own behaviors and the repercussions thereof. If you don't want your partner to know about you visiting a brothel, either figure out why you're doing it in the first place; determine if it really is a big deal to your partner; or keep you mouth shut! I'm sure that everyone in a committed relationship has some secrets from their parters, such as where and when they masturbate; who they fantasize about; etc.
pbsare4me
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 1:30:11 PM

And I do think it should be legal!
amy221
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 1:14:02 AM

carolinafun wrote:
prostitution should absolutely be legalized...if elected officials can sell their votes (and they do everyday in some form or fashion) then women AND MEN should be able to sell sexual gratification....and while they're at it - legalize marijuana too!

Beautifully and briefly said. I agree completely.

love, amy
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 1:35:39 AM

nazhinaz wrote:
I feel the issue of legalized prostitution should be viewed in the light of two dimensions.
1. Any service or commodity in demand can never be stopped by imposing bans or prohibitive laws.
Even in Saudi Arabia, Alcohalic drinks and girls for fun are available, though illegal. No one can stop the supply of a commodity or service which is demanded in a society.
2. Clamping prohibitive laws on service like prostitution is against human freedoms and indiviual rights.
Why ban a commodity or service which will contine to be available, wether legal or illegal.
Especially it is fundamental human right to choose whatever profession or service one likes to have.
I will surely second the opinion that laws should be there to make the service available without harming or endangering health of others.

So your idea of winning the drug war is to legalise pretty much everything? Because that's what you're saying with the statement I highlighted. Hell, then we can stop prohibition on anything. Do you really think that's a good idea?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Mizzytranzgirl
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 2:25:29 AM

when it comes to my nation India
our country is considered to be having a high sexually transmitted disease rate
and now i day i u take newspaper more over any other news u find rape or sexual assult

may be i am no sure but may be allowing prostitution legally
i may decrease rate of sexual crime and disease that is caused due to this
all though it may have negative (every coin has 2 side)