Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Religion, Bad or Good? Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:59:50 PM

Ok I'm truly just curious as to what's people's opinion on this subject is, I'm not trying to patronize you religious folks out there. In the past there had been many lives taken in the name of God, but I also know very kind people who are religious. So I'm asking you, is religion bad, good, or in the middle?
ArtMan
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:13:04 PM

For many people their religion is God. Many it is politics. For some atheism is a religion. For others it is fame or money. It is whether they let it blind them into fanaticism or not.

For most people in the current century religion is not bad.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:29:49 PM

I don't really conciderd atheism as a religion, though I am it myself.
Naughty_Magician
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:32:06 PM

Religion is what you make of it. There can be good and bad religious people just as there can be good and bad atheists.

To me, religions are mostly common sense, I don't think we need them. They divide people and stir up shit.

Had a dream I was king, I woke up still king!!
oldrascal
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:35:32 PM

It certainly depends on what it is used for. If used to enslave people in away of thinking, then evil. If used to nourish the healthy aspirations of humanity. then admirable.
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:11:39 PM

My 2 cents
There is no such thing as a good or bad in most cases. Religion Certainly falls more to the bad side in my opinion then good.
but it also depends on which "religious school of thought" you subscribe to.
Christianity
The Ten Commandments are a pretty solid code of ethics, i like the way George Carlin breaks it down further; but since we started taking the thinking out of living, i think we will have to go back to ten. but if you look at them (minus the false idols bit cause well..religion is mostly a hoax in my opinon), its a pretty acceptable way to live.

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. I am all over a day where i don't do anything. its aweseome.

“Honor your father and your mother,

"You shall not murder.

“You shall not commit adultery.

“You shall not steal.

“You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor (lie).

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. (be happy with what you have)”

Pretty self explanatory.

HOWEVER
The flip side is that religion sparked/and or was used to further push some of the bloodiest wars in history. It pushes backwards views regarding just about everything (Christianity/Islam), and is all in all , a great way for people to stop taking responsibility for their actions. Or for that matter taking action towards their problems at all because the "higher power" will guide them through it, or will resolve it for them. Religion is used for just as much bad as good,

There are plenty of choices out there. All of them say different things. Applying such a cut and dry label just doesn't really work imo.
Ryario_Darkstar
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:19:12 PM

It all depends how religion is used.... If used to try to live a good life and help those around you its a good thing, or even just the first half of that sentence,
use it for personal gain, try to get a law past, near destruction of other religons... ect yeah then its a bad thing. Personally even though Im not sure what I belive in, I belive in it in full.
couldnt imagine life with out having some kind of faith though......

Use it as your guide :)

Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:22:43 PM

Being an Atheist is not religion. Atheist....A-theos, without god. You don't need a set of beliefs to be just you. Human, loving, caring, good. Those attributes are not set from on high. They are beauty that is in us all. To give such credence to something other worldly is inhumane. It's takes away the power, resource, and accountability that we should expect from ourselves and each other.
nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:16:00 AM

Han135 wrote:
I don't really conciderd atheism as a religion, though I am it myself.

I agree.
Atheistic views are negation of all bondage with any faith or religion.
Not that being Atheist means anti religion or faith; rather one following reason, knowlege and logic.
Knowledge as is presently available and hoping that future and better knowledge will arm us with better reasoning and logic.
Atheism is not based on hatred or antagonism to faith or religion.
It is a different approach to life and world around us.
If some find themselves consoling in some supernatural to help their minds in distress and difficulty, its their choice.
Thus believing in any faith or religion, to me at least, is a mindset and approach to counsel oneself and seek help not from within but from supernatural.
It may be Almighty God, Jesus, or even self carved gods.
In the end it is a matter of choice.
Let me state, I am an atheist myself.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:45:25 AM

The very best Christians I've ever met have always said, 'being a Christian and being religious are two different things.'

When I think of true Christians I think of the people who volunteer at the homeless shelter, that often take the coat off of their on back and give it to some poor person who does hot have one and live their life everyday with an attitude like that. Those people exude more happiness than anyone I have ever met.

When I think of a religious person I think of some judgemental person who thinks that everyone should live by their set of rules and probably has a lot of real bitterness in their heart.

I know only a very few atheists. Atlanta is not a hot bed of atheism. The ones I have met seem to mirror all people in general, good, bad and indifferent. But I well remember a handful of college professor atheist who wore their atheism every bit as dogmatic and ruthless, if not more so than any religious person I've ever met. They wreaked with bitterness.

Milik_Redman
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:00:14 AM

Being spiritual is good and I suppose to some religion has its merits. For me though my temple is the sky and my holy man is nature all around. I need no organization to tell me how to worship.

“It is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

My Editors Choice Award Winning Stories.

Mrsmcrocker
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:04:07 AM

I believe religion is important in the sense that it teaches good morals, and that it's important to take understanding and interpretations of religion, and not to take it literally.

all major religions share the same fundamental morals and values, and the same morals and values can be learned from other sources.

it doesn't really matter if you're religious or not or what religion you practice, as long as you have good morals and values.
tashitasha
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:16:52 AM

If something is bad, it's the way people interpret what the sacred books say or manipulate traditions and invent new ones in the name of religion and God.

My Entry for the competition: The Mystery of The Abandoned Manor

Do you like Mystery, danger & hot sex? Then why don't you try my Novel? (work in progress) : When The Truth Hurts

Can Crystal resist handsome, married Gary? Find out here: A Night of Forbidden Passion

A professional thief, a seductive woman who knows how to use all her assets to get what she wants, when she wants it: A Flawless Plan

Jayne33
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:00:24 AM

Personally I dont beleive in organised religion. I think it was just created by man to control people. Thats not say that I dont think there's something higher than us, but just feel its more of a personal journey.

I dont have against anyone who is religious, as long as they dont try and push there ideas onto me.

Each to thier own I say.

Thinking Of You By Jayne33
thesilkyknot
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:01:47 AM

Religion has never done any good. Sooner or later...every religion dies for the very same reason. Humans ..realize by the end of the day, how crappy and unnecessary burden is added by the thing called religion. George Carlin aptly said "religion is bullshit".
nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:17:03 AM

Buz wrote:
The very best Christians I've ever met have always said, 'being a Christian and being religious are two different things.'

When I think of true Christians I think of the people who volunteer at the homeless shelter, that often take the coat off of their on back and give it to some poor person who does hot have one and live their life everyday with an attitude like that. Those people exude more happiness than anyone I have ever met.

When I think of a religious person I think of some judgemental person who thinks that everyone should live by their set of rules and probably has a lot of real bitterness in their heart.

I know only a very few atheists. Atlanta is not a hot bed of atheism. The ones I have met seem to mirror all people in general, good, bad and indifferent. But I well remember a handful of college professor atheist who wore their atheism every bit as dogmatic and ruthless, if not more so than any religious person I've ever met. They wreaked with bitterness.

Are these human values or just specific to christians?
As posted on this very page, all religions preach good values.
These are not religious values; instead some religions (Islam) preaches hate and killing all infidels.
What I want to stress is, as all major religions grew up in close vicinity in space and time (except Judaism), they all borrowed from the preceeding religions, the same values and transfered it to its followers (except Islam where it is specifically ordained that"kill all who do not follow your religious faith, untill they follow your religon" almost true translation from Koran).
Humanity has grown over millions of years and have developed human values which are basic for human social society.
And those who think that it is religon that preaches good values, they are not open to development of human social values.
Did Socrates or Plato preach hatred? NO.
Human values evolved over the years should not be taken as merely religious values.
ramrod32784
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 8:24:21 AM

It is always good to have something to believe in
hamz
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 3:31:56 PM

nazhinaz wrote:

Not that being Atheist means anti religion or faith; rather one following reason, knowlege and logic.
Thus believing in any faith or religion, to me at least, is a mindset and approach to counsel oneself and seek help not from within but from supernatural.

Very well said. The way I put it: Atheism is faith within, religion is faith outside! To me religious people are those who have 'outsourced' their thinking on many issues - and have opted for easy 'ready-to-eat' explanations.

My answer to the original question: Although, the religions were initiated for a noble cause, in my opinion, religion as a social model has not worked - the very long bloody history all around the globe is a proof enough.

Thus for me religion is bad. I think the world would be a lot more happier and peaceful place if people instead choose reason and look within.

As an atheist, I am glad to see that most respondents here share my thinking.
hamz
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 3:38:32 PM

Mrsmcrocker wrote:
I believe religion is important in the sense that it teaches good morals, and that it's important to take understanding and interpretations of religion, and not to take it literally.

all major religions share the same fundamental morals and values, and the same morals and values can be learned from other sources.

it doesn't really matter if you're religious or not or what religion you practice, as long as you have good morals and values.

I really admire your rational thoughts - but unfortunately, it is not easy for everyone to implement them - because morals and values are subjective. They are different for different cultures/places/times and even for different individuals within the same culture, place and time!
Irony is, most religious extremists (including terrorists) take pride in their own value systems and high moral standards.
nazhinaz
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:37:08 AM

hamz wrote:

I really admire your rational thoughts - but unfortunately, it is not easy for everyone to implement them - because morals and values are subjective. They are different for different cultures/places/times and even for different individuals within the same culture, place and time!
Irony is, most religious extremists (including terrorists) take pride in their own value systems and high moral standards.

Nothing could be truer.
You gave words to my thoughts.
It is religion that divides humanity and pitches them against each other.
And yes, terrorists too take pride in their own value system.
Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, the one accused of plotting mind behind 9/11 actually is know to have braged about his ploting 9/11 and wished that how he could kill more people.
Same is true about Osama Bin Laden and his trained Al-Qeeda men all over the World.
let there be just humanistic value systems.
cwalkerjr1
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 4:17:35 PM

My 2 cents There is nothing wrong with religion as long as the hypocrisy is removed and people remind themselves that they are animals that think far too much. Joan of Arc and The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is proof of this.
CleverFox
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 6:19:31 PM

The only things I have found in religion are the things I brought myself.
1ball
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 8:43:55 PM

Religion is generally used to convince people they should sacrifice irrationally. There are exceptions, but religion is generally anti-life.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:27:45 PM

The word "religion" covers many different practices and it's difficult to answer your question in a few words. But I would say, if by religion, you mean a path or practice that brings one into consistant harmony with the oneself and thus the world around us, then yes, it's good. But any movement or practice that uses models of divinity as a political football, a social control mechanism or just an attempt to shroud oneself in the appearance of moral superiority or grandeur merely for the sake of personal advancement, then it's bad. Human nature being what it is, the good and the bad often go hand in hand.
Archadia
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:54:53 PM

Im completly burned out on this subject, to the point where i cant talk about it anymore. The arrogance of some of the human race is such that, i dont want waste my time trying to convinve sheep that they are, in fact, people. Religion is for people with vivid imaginations and no sense. Religion in general, with pahaps Buddism as an exception, is a force for evil rather than good. Im happy to say that, gradually, people are starting to come out of the closet with regards to religious beliefs, and slowely but surely, religion is waning.
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:23:29 AM

To me,religion is like a knife.we can use to chop either onions or heads....the choice is ours,isnt it?Religion is a just a thing,which is perceived differently by the people
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:34:55 AM

narresh wrote:
To me,religion is like a knife.we can use to chop either onions or heads....the choice is ours,isnt it?Religion is a just a thing,which is perceived differently by the people

Wish Religion was a knife to chop onions.
But it has always been a knife to chop heads of those who don't subscribe to that religion.
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:23:24 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

Wish Religion was a knife to chop onions.
But it has always been a knife to chop heads of those who don't subscribe to that religion.
You are right man,I saw those instances,they got it that way...I mean they dont get it right.I have read philosophies from many religions,not even one preached to chop heads..believe me
clum
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:06:49 AM

The purpose of any religion should be to lead all people to happiness. How then could it possibly be a "bad" thing? I cannot comprehend (nor do I actually know of) any religion which advocates war and violence.

I've scanned this thread and can't find that I agree with many here. True faith is not about "morals and values" or about persecuting those who do not share your views. If what all religions taught was "common sense", would they even exist? Religion, in my experience, brings people together rather than creating divisions.

The problems that the OP seems to be identifying actually arise because of (a) erroneous teachings and (b) something people like to call "human nature". A lot of people in this modern age have quite a narrow view of religion (in my opinion and experience) and associate it, in some non-trivial way, with the terrorism and Qur'an-burning we are exposed to through the media. The overwhelming majority of "religious" people, those who have faith in something and live their daily lives based on that, are just trying to be happy and help others to be so. They are (often) the people who are creating the most value in their society.

Personally, I do view Atheism as a religion of sorts, in the sense that when people describe themselves as such, it is understood that they prescribe to a certain set of religious views. However, that's not really an important point or something I would care to argue very much about. What I will say is that I am atheist but not "an Atheist", as I am also religious (have you guessed my religion yet?). My faith and practice is more important to me than anything and, I ardently believe, make me a "better" person than I would be otherwise.

Don't blame religion for the world's problems; by and large, they're the ones trying to fix them. Never forget how fortunate you have been to be born as a human being; don't abuse the privilege.

Every day is a school day.
swollen
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:53:30 AM

I believe religion is a good thing.

To many it gives eternal hope, and some of the more 'unfortunates' on this planet, can virtually exist on that alone.

Sadly, the excuse of religion is also so often used by those motivated by envy and greed, and it's this that understandably paints a dark picture of 'faith' in so many human brains.

As for my own beliefs, I'm yet to be convinced, so for now I'm keeping an open mind.