The Element of Surprise

last reply
10 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Clumeleon
0 likes
I received a comment on one of my stories recently that has had me thinking for a while. It was two words but it was probably some of the best feedback I've had on this site, in terms of making me think about how to improve my writing.

The comment simply read: "No surprises."

It was made on a story that, in my opinion, is quite rubbish and that I will probably rewrite anyway. The commenter was right to say that nothing happened in the story that was in any way surprising or that you could not have predicted; it was just a description of an event.

The same comment could probably be applied to many of my stories. I don't tend to go for the big plot twists, I usually just tell a tale. I write quite well, if I'm allowed to say so, but none of my stories have those moments that make you gasp and say, "Jings, never saw that one coming."

My question is this:

How important is it that a story be, to some degree, unpredictable?

Is it enough that a story is well-written and well-told or does it have to have you constantly wondering what's going to happen next? Does it have to be a rollercoaster or are you happy with the tea cups?

Is a story without a plot twist just completely pointless or is it nice just to go along for the ride sometimes?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't think that all stories need a twist. It all depends on what you write about. I've read a few stories where I guessed how they would end but still, the authors managed to pull it off so well that you still want to read them for the quality.

Each person has a particular taste and sometimes we read so many stories of the same genre or many stories from a particular author that we get used to their style. That's when we can figure out where they are going with their story.

Even though stories with a twist really make me want to keep reading, at times I just want to chill and read a simple pleasant story without thinking too much or getting too surprised by unexpected twists and be like, 'Whaaat?'
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you can have a "predictable" flow with your story but end it with a "surprise", you can use the "surprise ending" as a possible gateway to another story. At least that is what I tried to do with my first-time writing endeavor. Not trying to push this on anybody, but check the ending for what I'm trying to say: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/conflicts-in-the-heart-a-tormented.aspx

Rick
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I always want to know what will happen in a book; I often turn to the end to see how it will end on the last page, and then enjoy the process of getting there. I don't mind predictable, as long as it's written well.

One of my recent stories got labelled as having a twist at the end, but the truth is, I didnt know how else to end it, so I simply flipped the characters round to echo the beginning. The twist was purely luck(?).

Some books I read (I tend to read more books than short stories), and the writer takes me all over the place, simply to get to the point where I was expecting it to go anyway, and all it did was annoy my by wandering around endlessly. Others lead me through what I think is fairly simplistic, and then smack me with a shock at the end. I don't mind a soft, gentle story with an obvious end, as long as you made my imagination work overtime (in a good way).

I love the journey of a story, not neccessarily the surprise destination.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hmm, interesting question, Clum. I'd say romance and erotica stories tend to follow a predictable pattern, but after just devouring 50 Shades of Grey the last 4 days, I've had to revise my opinion. Surprise isn't essential, in a well-told story (and you ARE a good writer, but of course you know that!), but it's nice when it happens. I don't think either of my stories have any surprises, but I did receive some very nice comments about my use of language and turns of phrase (yours among them, thank you so much!). I think what IS essential is that the story is unique - told from an unexpected point of view, or maybe makes you laugh or even cry, when that isn't a common literary tool used here. One of the reasons I love your stories is that they're so well organized, grammatically correct, and I can HEAR your accent in my head when I read them - which I adore.

Don't change a thing, sweetpea.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
A lot of my stories (ie. most) have surprise twists at the end. It's a formula I enjoy using because it makes the story more interesting for me to write as well, and I think it's a fun way to end a short story and tie everything together.

I definitely don't think plot twists or surprise endings are the only way to go. I do think that a good story should have *some* unexpected surprises along the way though. This will usually happen naturally if the writer has a compelling backstory and has well-developed characters.

Surprises don't have to be plot twists, but they should make the reader go 'wow' at some point along the way. Maybe the sex is kinky or a character is initially reluctant to try something but then tries it and loves it or maybe it's a first time threesome and you get to experience the build-up and initial nerves involved in setting it up.

I'll admit that it's harder to hold my interest with a simple plot and no 'conflict' (such as the 'should I, or shouldn't I?' or fear of getting caught or complex character relationship dynamics). If it's just a matter of guy sees cute girl and they have sex, it can be a bit of a sleeper unless the writing is excellent.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Suspension of belief is fine and all, but there should be some remote possibility of actuality surrounding the incident.

Driving 220km down the autobahn whilst being fucked, reverse cowgirl, with her head and face out the T-top of your Lambo (when Lambo's don't even have T-Tops) -- I mean, seriously...?
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
Though some of my stories follow the formulaic (girl realizes she likes girls, and eventually has sex with another girl), I do like to go with the not so obvious. For instance, the first of my Lindsey stories was written as an assignment for a little writer's group i was in. It was to be about a threesome. And it did have a threesome in it, but it was not the main character that had the threesome. So I tend to come at things from a slightly different angle, rather than just go for the obvious. One of the comments I received on my competition story was that the reader had never read anything quite like it. So from my point of view, I like to have some element of surprise or plot twist in my stories.
Velvet-Voiced Titillator
0 likes
As a reader I want to be taken on a journey, a break from reality, drawn into some else’s world. Does that mean that is has to be a journey I have never been on before? I don’t think so, sometimes it’s nice to read something familiar, like watching a favourite old movie. It is nice to be surprised and taken on a ride, where you don’t know where you’re going to end up, but I don’t think it has to be like that at all the time.
I have read several of your stories and enjoyed everyone. I think it’s a understatement to say that you write quite well, I think you are a great writer, and hope that I one day can write stories as good as yours.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Some books I read (I tend to read more books than short stories), and the writer takes me all over the place, simply to get to the point where I was expecting it to go anyway, and all it did was annoy my by wandering around endlessly. Others lead me through what I think is fairly simplistic, and then smack me with a shock at the end. I don't mind a soft, gentle story with an obvious end, as long as you made my imagination work overtime (in a good way).

I completely agree, especially when it comes to writing erotica. I've read plenty of stories here with a "twist" and all it's made me do is roll my eyes. Some elements of surprise are so cheesy and pointless...but that's just me, I guess. Erotic literature comes with spoilers. Usually, someone's gonna either fuck or get fucked. I like a good twist if it's believable. Or if it's already entwined in the story and completely revealed at the end. Other than that, all it does is confuse the hell out of me. While twists are fun, they aren't necessary, and in fact some even spoil an otherwise good story.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
Soooo..Slippery is not twisted. Who knew!?