11 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
nice /nīs/
Adjective:

- Pleasant; agreeable; satisfactory: "we had a nice time".
- (of a person) Pleasant in manner; good-natured; kind: "he's a really nice guy".

"Nice." It has generally become known as a very mediocre word, i.e. "I can't find anything bad to say about it, but then, I can't find anything particularly good either." It is often used in a sarcastic way, too.

If you have ever used the word on somebody's work, could you please clarify your use of it? Was it sarcasm? Was it, "Meh, but more positive meh than negative meh"? Was it, "I feel I ought to say something, but words completely escape me because it wasn't that great, but it could have been worse"?

I have a saying at work, "I will do anything for Nice people." And on Lush, there are what I call Nice people." But my meaning of the word is quite a bit stronger than the general "nice" in common everyday usage. When I use it, it means somebody who is exceedingly pleasant and fun to spend time with - more "jolly" without using the word "jolly", because it's not so Santa-Clausy as "jolly" usually means. But then, a lot of words have very different definitions in my own head than they do in the real world.

I would appreciate your definition of your use of the word "nice" (and even how you feel if you receive it). Thank you.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Clumeleon
0 likes
I would usually describe someone's work as "nice" if reading it put a smile on my face. It usually means that it was an enjoyable, easy read but probably not outstanding. I see it as a rather weak sentiment with respect to writing.

I would describe a person's actions as "nice" if they did something out of the goodness of their heart that they were not necessarily obliged to so; something to help a fellow human being. In this context, I guess the word is a bit stronger.

When referring to a person, "nice" would be used when I have not spent enough time with them to form much of an opinion but have not, as yet, come across any glaringly obvious negative qualities. It's a filler, non-committal word.
Lurker
0 likes
Generally when I say nice my thumb goes up in approval, as does my smile. When I say something is nice I mean it inspires a bit of awe, not quite as much as awesome, but pretty close. If I say someone is nice, it means I like them quite a bit. Though I do use it sarcastically, I tend to reserve it for situations that were my own fault, like falling off a ladder or tripping over my feet, I'll mostly get up saying "nice one Andrew" with a fake smile on my mug.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Totally depends on the context and tone.

If the comment was:

Nice! <-- positive. It's an urban expression, and it means they thought it was cool, fun, entertaining - all that. With this tone, 'nice' actually means 'great'.

Nice story. <--- boring. It's about as milktoast of a comment as you can get... meaning that it was good but nothing special or warranting much reaction.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Nice. Maybe it is colloquial but where I come from it is often said, drawn out and the 's' pronounced as a 'z' and definitely means much better than average. It can be interchanged with awesome. I would definitely say that it can mean different levels of good from mediocre good to excellent, depending upon the user and how they state it.

'That sure is a niiiizzze ass on that chick!'
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Nice. Maybe it is colloquial but where I come from it is often said, drawn out and the 's' pronounced as a 'z' and definitely means much better than average. It can be interchanged with awesome. I would definitely say that it can mean different levels of good from mediocre good to excellent, depending upon the user and how they state it.

'That sure is a niiiizzze ass on that chick!'

Oh yeah, that too.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Can't recall ever using 'nice' when commenting on someone's story. That said, I do appreciate your problem. 'Nice' is one of those words that often gains its true meaning from the speaker's gestures or inflection. For instance, this is a brief excerptt from my second unpublished novel. The scheming protag is considering her prey:

He was nice and tall with a nice big body, a nice smile, nice hair, nice eyes and, except for being boring, had a nice personality. That was the problem. He was too damn nice.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think these days, it's all in the tone, which I personally try very hard to convey, if using it to comment on a story. As DD said, the more urban context:

"Niiiiccce!"

However, it is not an adjective I'd want used to describe me. It's been used many times, and I hate it. "You're a really nice girl." Plbbbbts!!!!

For a story, I once had, "Yeah, nice one. I really liked this." It wasn't over the top endorsement, but I appreciated that they took the time to write something positive.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If it came from a Yank, and if it was the first word in a comment, that's a very good thing. When someone sees a "hot" car, motorcycle or girl go by, a long drawn out "Niiiiccce!" (pronounced like ice only longer) is a statement that it was exceptionally pleasing (as is "Hot!). It would need no other support and the rest of the comment might be explanation for why it deserved such a compliment. If it was used within a longer sentence, "That was very nice" could have a much more complimentary meaning than "That was a nice story", which is what you might say when you don't want to hurt feelings.
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I agree with the above comments in that hearing it verbally makes it easier to understand the exact meaning. It is harder to convey in text, but a Niiiice followed by !!!! is most likely a good thing. A very or verrrry in front of it is better, and if it is all in caps, even better. Referring to someone as nice is probably ok, maybe just because you may not know them real well or they are not evil, but not outstanding either. If you say someone is really nice, that is much more positive, where as kinda nice would be a much more hesitant comment. So basically, you have to look at more than just the written word. consider any additional adjectives, punctuation and how long the word is drawn out.