Insomnia....help!

last reply
31 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Does anyone know a genuinely good cure for acute insomnia!? Been trying sleeping pills - reluctantly - but even they aren't working. I tend to not take any drugs whatsoever, so something natural would be preferred. Any ideas? Cheers!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I go through spurts of it... I talked to a doctor once and he gave me the following suggestions, because I, too, don't like medicine.. Generally they work.
1. Don't keep a TV in the bedroom.. I don't follow this one because I like background noise when I sleep.
2. Leave work at work..
3. If something is bothering you or on your mind, right it down. Keep a pen and paper by your bed.. When your mind starts to go crazy, write a stream of consciousness.. Whatever pops in your mind, write it down. This was the most helpful. Instead of analyzing one thing to death, you keep moving on. The next day I usually go over what I wrote and realize I solved most things that were on my mind.
4. If you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker, avoid caffeine after noon... This includes chocolate.

They seem like trivial things, but they really work.

Good luck... I know how tough it can be.
"I'd much rather be a woman than a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes, and they are the first to be rescued off of sinking ships."
— Gilda Radner
Classified
0 likes
Take a warm/hot shower or bath before bed. Your core temp will rise a little before dropping off. Can take up to two hours.
Sexual activity can seriously help the body settle.
Try to go to bed before 23.30.
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with all of these although sometimes none of it helps me either. I've had acute insomnia and even somnambulism for years. I had a shrink tell me, among other things, that being under a lot of stress at the time, my mind was trying to work everything out in it's own way. I kind of, hide my car keys and lock an extra lock that I don't normally when awake or not having bouts of insomnia too. Keeping a journal helps. It focuses my mind and lets my brain talk to my hands. Not on the computer but with pen and paper. It's also why I started writing stories. I don't write erotica but I do write stories.
Also exhausting oneself seems to help sometimes too.(exercise) Other times, not so much.
Warm milk does not do it for me but sometimes cold helps. A snifter of brandy or even at times a joint. I've tried many things over the years. But it doesn't last for terribly long periods. Different foods make a difference too. The tryptophan in turkey, fresh, not deli, makes me sleepy too.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Take Melatonin. It is all natural, and you already have melatonin in your body. You won't wake up groggy and you will get a restful nights sleep.
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
At side of underlaying causes that may need to be investigated by a physician, the below info should give you relief.

Create a sleeping pattern by going to sleep and waking up at a set time, no matter what. Help yourself with Melatonin, but have your bedroom completely dark, no faint lights whatsoever, Melatonin will not give you the intended result if there’s light. Our body already makes melatonin, but not if it's "noon" in your bedroom. Most window shades let to much light in the room.

Drink Chamomile tea (NOT for pregnant women), two bags in about 10 oz of water, let it steep for 15 min, regardless of what is says on the box than sip it slowly as you relax and unwind in a comfortable chair. Have a cup (only one bag) in the afternoon so to get accustomed with the taste if you never drank it, please no sugar.
Chamomile has a proven calming effect, it does not have of course caffeine. It's made from a flower of a plant similar to a daisy.
Of course you should discontinue any caffeinated beverages by the early afternoon. If any at all.

If you use an alarm put it away were you cannot see the time or shine it's light on you. There are so many other helpful proactive actions that you can also take.

Start to slowly unwind at least two hours before your set bedtime, no hard music, no checking bills, etc.
If you still cannot sleep. DO NOT STAY in bed, just get up, sit at a table and relax, think of what is been bothering you. You will come up with the answer! You probably should try this first!
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As an active traveler, I find myself struggling with insomnia during time zone changes. Here are some helpful tips:

Eat dinner no later than 20:00, as this gives your body time to unwind and properly digest. Cut out caffeine and dairy before bed time as well, it upsets the stomach.

Taking a hot shower usually relaxes your muscles before bed. Make sure not to sleep with wet hair as this can make you ill and make you more prone to ear infections! Usually I opt for a bath with essential oils such as lavender, it has properties known for promoting relaxation and it's really gentle on the skin.

Even something so simple as turning off all the lights, electronics, loud air conditioners/heaters can make you doze off as well. I've also found that light distracts me from sleeping so if you have windows/shutters that have light seeping in, look into some energy saving curtains as they are most efficient for blocking out the light.

I don't like to take pills.. I primarily like to search for holistic solutions but if all else fails, I will take a melatonin pill. Melatonin also comes in liquid form, which is easy to drop in with some caffeine free tea and seems to work faster than the pill. Good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
I can't honestly claim to know much about this and I don't suffer but there is a brilliant TV program running in the UK called The Food Hospital. It uses real patients to show how many health problems can be cured or improved by simple changes of lifestyle and diet.

Have a look at: http://foodhospital.channel4.com/conditions/insomnia/

Good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
take a toke of mary jane, she'll help with your problem.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie
Take Melatonin. It is all natural, and you already have melatonin in your body. You won't wake up groggy and you will get a restful nights sleep.

Ah Melatonin... Where would I be without you?

On a serious note, if you want to start taking the above substance talk to your doctor first to help you figure out how much to take, and don't hassle them to make it higher if it doesn't work as they'll just say there isn't enough proof to do that. (Trust me, I've tried)
Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MoonlightSerenity

Ah Melatonin... Where would I be without you?

On a serious note, if you want to start taking the above substance talk to your doctor first to help you figure out how much to take, and don't hassle them to make it higher if it doesn't work as they'll just say there isn't enough proof to do that. (Trust me, I've tried)

I disagree, since as yourself I have taken melatonin and has worked great for me. The idea of popping a pill and and waiting for miracles (not to say that this is your case) to happens is extremely common. It must be also helped by making sure that the room is completely dark and to start to relax a good two hours before bedtime and so many other healthy habits.

There are as now over 4,000 studies on melatonin in the scientific literature. There are no evidence of toxicity. It has anti-aging and anti-cancer properties, and is an extremely safe substance.

Since Melatonin strongly stimulate the immune system (which is good), the only people who should not take it are those with any auto immune diseases, and as usual, also pregnant women.

Maybe you could give it another try, it's better than a drug for sure!
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've had insomnia on and off the past few months. When I do have it, I try and write out my problems or thoughts in a journal before I go to bed. I usually figure out why I'm not sleeping after a short time. I've also found that drinking some herbal tea can help, as long as I don't drink too much. some natural sleep aid tea has had valarium root in it.
A hot shower and a clean bed, i'm out for the night.

And when all else fails......
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Burton
Does anyone know a genuinely good cure for acute insomnia!? Any ideas? Cheers!

With abs like yours, I would think you'd know exactly how to cure insomnia - hell, you shouldn't ever even be experiencing it.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Princess Blondie
0 likes
Masturbation helps
†Jinxy Approved†

Lurker
0 likes
Don't fight it, embrace it ~

Lurker
0 likes
listening to some slow and favourite songs helps get out the stress and a nice shower will be nice for getting some good sleep..Sleeping for 8 hours min should be followed..
Lurker
0 likes
I find lyricless music combined with not having had any caffeine before bed (coffee, energy drink even chocolate) helps me have a restful night. Also reading a story here and getting off good doesn't hurt ;) Good luck!

Also I think I read somewhere staying away from dairy before bed helps, but dont quote me on that.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
i usually run to melatonin but i cant take it right now cus im pregnant. warm baths help, yoga or a walk too but sometimes that seems to energize me. watching the clock and calculating how much sleep ill get is the worst so i stay away from clocks. reading will sometimes knock me out. hot herbal tea is nice and sometimes helps especially try camomile~ good luck i know it sucks to be stressing over sleep at night and feel exhausted during the day!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Kudos to the ultra healthy people in this thread. I have insomnia all the time, but when it's really bothering me I do go for the pills. Usually I take 1/3 or 1/2 of the lowest dose pill and that seems to do the trick for me. And the sleep is deep and satisfying - otherwise I tend to be a light sleeper and wake up multiple times during the night.

I do a lot of my writing in the middle of the night, so it's not always a bad thing, especially if you have busy days.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Try Celestial Seasonings Sleepytyme Extra (has Valerian root) Make sure you get the Extra, the regular "Sleepytyme" has no Valerian. I'm a massive insomniac and have tried everything non-prescription and this seems to help. I find having an active day makes a big difference.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As a chronic insomniac who is battling depression, the only thing that's helping me is having a sleep schedule. I have to turn off the television and all devices (iPod touch, e-reader, cell phone) an hour before I go to sleep. I fix some herbal tea and have a book next to my bed that I can read until I go to sleep. I begin my final semester at a community college, and my schedule is a lot lighter. I don't have night classes this time around, so it makes things a lot easier for me to get to sleep.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

The Linebacker
0 likes
I am an insomniac. I have found that taking a melatonin about 30 minutes with a small glass of red wine (I prefer cabernet savignon) 30 minutes before bedtime greatly helps me get to sleep.

Melatonin is available over the counter at any drugstore or drug department of those big box megastores.
Detention Seeker
0 likes
You don't say anything about your personal lifestyle or work it might help to know a little before we can advise you fully
Lurker
0 likes
I had a bit o' trouble with insomnia once and talked to a psychologist about it. She told me to concentrate on holding my tongue still as I attempted to go to sleep. Ever since then I've never had that problem again. It really works..............
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As you lay in bed, imagine your feet getting very heavy. Move up your body and really feel the weight grow as you get closer to your head. Take time imagining this. As you get to your head, your eyelids pull down towards your mattress. Continue this, heavier and heavier through your body. Feel the weight.

If all else fails, imagine your fantasy woman/man. See every curve in slow motion. Just inch up their body. See beads of sweat roll down their body. Focus on a particular part and stay there, don't leave it. Just focus on that one wonderful thing.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set her free." -Michelangelo

Please Enjoy: The Beach, The Workout, The Hike
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie

I battle bouts of insomnia from time to time and have found the shower followed by Melatonin works great for me most nights. If not, I always have a bottle of Nyquil handy - a couple of swigs of that and I fall into a coma-induced, drooling stupor
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Tibetan 5 rites...(5 moves in yoga that unwind you physcially).
Lavender on your pillow
writing down 3 full pages of what is on your mind (you never read them, as you meet many sides of you that will be everything of fun to abusive to yourself but you burn them or destroy them) these will help take the garbage out of the mind to help it relax.

good luck
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
NOTE: I'm not a medical professional. The best thing I can recommend is to consult a medical professional before using ANY of these. Some of these may not sound risky (seriously, reading a book doesn't sound too dangerous), but a medical professional should be consulted before ingesting anything new or trying something physical.

What sleeping pills have you tried? I've tried a number of sleeping pills myself, and they don't really work.

I use melatonin as well every so often. I've also tried relaxation drinks like Drank and Marley Mellow Mood, which have a cocktail of minor natural depressants. I don't remember the specific ingredient list, but they list it on the side of the bottle/can.

I've also had better luck when masturbating before bed. (Speaking as a single guy.)

Also, if you eat anything within about three or four hours after bed, or drink caffeine within that period, you're more likely to have issues getting to sleep. Some food may appear to make you sleepy, but you fall asleep better on an empty stomach.

Also, looking at a backlit screen (cell phone, computer, TV) before bed makes you less sleepy. About an hour before bed, try reading a book or newspaper (not on a Kindle or Nook).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I woke up at 4:00 am wide awake after 4 hours of sleep. Rather than toss and turn in bed I got up and came to Lush to see what's going on. That was 2 hours ago. Now I'm feeling sleepy again, so I'll jump back in bed and sleep (hopefully) until 8:00. See you later kids!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
after trying a lot of things (not any over the counter or prescribed sleeping pills) ---I find a hot shower, clean sheets and comfy pjs helps most of the time... when it doesn't I use melatonin- guarantees a good night sleep for me. Mediation also helps relax me...I need to go back to that.