Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

2016...me entiendes? Cuidate! Options · View
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 5:47:43 PM

Marco Rubio

"GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?

Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

"GQ: The Republican strategy after Obama came into office was to make sure the president didn't have another term. The Republicans didn't have a plan and were just going to say no to everything the president put forth.

Marco Rubio: I don't know how many people bought into that. There were some in politics who believed that all you had to do was be the alternative to the incumbent and you would win, but I never believed in that. I've always believed that you were better on offense than you were on defense. You were much better being for something than against someone. I think the bigger challenge that we face, and that we continue to face, is that we have not done a good enough job of communicating to people what conservatism is. In fact, we've allowed a myth to take hold in the minds of some that conservatism is about helping the people who have "made it" and not about helping the people who are trying to make it. I think we have a very compelling argument, which happens to be true: the people who have made it, billionaires and multi-billion dollar corporations, they may not like big government, but they can afford to deal with it. They can hire the best lawyers in America and try to figure out the loopholes and the best lobbyists to create them. In fact, they use big government to their advantage. They'll have regulations and rules written to hurt their competition. So, big government helps the people who have made it. It doesn't help the people who are trying to make it, it crushes the people who are trying to make it. So, our challenge is, if we want free enterprise, limited government, and conservatism to be a viable and successful political movement in America, we've got to make that connection for people."

No Marco, I made the connection a long time ago, along with many others. Party politics sells itself to the highest bidder. No matter who's trying to make it or not. And your words only perpetuate my distrust in all politicians. Including ones I've voted for. I guess I'll have to stick with the "better of two evils," next time as well, since you'll probably be in the mix.

Lushers, Lush away!

elitfromnorth
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:22:33 AM

Highwayman wrote:
Marco Rubio

"GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?

Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man.

This sentence immediately made me think of Leo from that 70's show

Leo 2016!!!

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:36:07 PM

I'll take it. It's pretty insulting to have to swallow such sidestepping.
Jacknife
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 3:16:50 AM

I have one hope.

Sanity 2016!!!!
Jack_42
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:52:50 AM

As an outsider to me US politics seem sort of contrived (of course my impression could be wrong) as though - because debatable issues have to have two sides these two parties have therefore been created. Why only two? Why not a middle of the road view to what appears to be extreme polarities? My opinion on all politicians though is that the word is synonymous with charlatan (and I especially include my own country's lot so if my thoughts make you wave flags and stuff don't bother replying I just want the questions answered pragmatically).
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 8:49:19 PM

Contrived, yes, on both ends. My thought: we can blame the system, but in the end, we (Americans) accept it. Why are American films so bad? Cause, that is what sells. Why are the politicians of late so worthless, cause, that's what sells. People will hoot and holla, up and down about Democrat this and Republican that, but we buy what sells. It's easier.

As for third parties, unfortunately, they take up some of the votes that could actually swing an election. My assumption is that people don't vote periphery groups cause they won't get elected anyway, so people cast a ballot against the party they truly hope doesn't take control.

Kitanica
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:18:06 AM

this just reinforced what I already thought about Marco Rubio. That he's an idiot. being from Florida I can't decide who I don't like more. him or Rick Scott.

I'm all for a Stewart-Colbert ticket.