Why are the scales not budging?

last reply
8 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I went in for jaw surgery I was 86 kilos. 12 days later I went down to 80 kilos and since I have been on my periods I went back up to 81 kilos.

I don't get why I got a fast drop in weight (most likely water retention) and all of a sudden it crept back on.

Currently on a liquid and mushy/blended food diet (not being able to chew while I heal) so I have been drinking milk shakes, eating small pots of potato and gravy, custard, yogurt, fruit smoothies, blended fruit, soups, soups with veg/and pasta, curried eggs, porridge (flavoured kind) drinking juice and water.

Metimucil is used to flush out my digetstive system twice a week.

Physically in the mirror I can see I have lost weight and my jeans are looser around the waist.

I also feel more active and lighter. So why are my scales saying I gained weight?
"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I wouldn't pay attention to the scale, its how you look. If you look better that's what matters. The scale will drop.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Don't pay attention to the numbers on the scale. pay attention to the way your clothes fit and how you feel. Liquid food isn't necessarily going to cause you to lose weight. You have be taking in the right number of calories for your body to work at its best. If you are consuming too few, you will inevitably slow your metabolism. I understand you are restricted right now to specifically liquid or soft foods, but you have to watch what foods you eat... You need protein and carbs. If you are consuming too much sugar from juice or milkshakes, this will cause weight gain. And if you are on your period, you will retain water and just be uncomfortable anyway.

Don't stress about the scale.. It does not good, but frustrate you.
"I'd much rather be a woman than a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes, and they are the first to be rescued off of sinking ships."
— Gilda Radner
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Also, weight lost from a liquid diet almost always comes back. And as stated before me, don't focus on the numbers. Focus on your waist line and the way your clothes fit.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MarySweets
When I went in for jaw surgery I was 86 kilos. 12 days later I went down to 80 kilos and since I have been on my periods I went back up to 81 kilos.

I don't get why I got a fast drop in weight (most likely water retention) and all of a sudden it crept back on.

Currently on a liquid and mushy/blended food diet (not being able to chew while I heal) so I have been drinking milk shakes, eating small pots of potato and gravy, custard, yogurt, fruit smoothies, blended fruit, soups, soups with veg/and pasta, curried eggs, porridge (flavoured kind) drinking juice and water.

Metimucil is used to flush out my digetstive system twice a week.

Physically in the mirror I can see I have lost weight and my jeans are looser around the waist.

I also feel more active and lighter. So why are my scales saying I gained weight?

Not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt.

There could be a number of reasons why your weight isn't dropping. Jeff Volek, author of TNT Diet, reported on Lucas Hutchinson, a 25-year-old who only lost 7 pounds on the scale. However, Volek said that Hutchinson's transformation was how his body was made up (i.e. ratio of fat to muscle). Muscle weighs more than fat; when we put on muscle, the scales go up. If you're trying to diet at the same time, you may not notice the scale moving that much. A better guideline, as others have said, is how your clothes are fitting, and the results of body composition tests.

A possibility is that your body has adapted to your new diet, and you've hit equilibrium. When I tried to lose weight with the help of MyFitnessPal (website and mobile app), my recommended calories kept dropping as my weight dropped.

If you're still concerned, feel free to talk to your doctor. S/he may recommend something else to you that may help you better.
Lurker
0 likes
forget the scales, take skinfold measurements and use the mirror
Lurker
0 likes
The scale will lie... I have been working out, eating right and the scale hasnt moved. However I am swimming in a pair of jeans that i brought 2 months ago! Yes, it would be nice to see the scale move a little but as long as I have to keep buying smaller clothes that is all that matters! If you clothes are looser, rejoice!

By the way, just today I brought some jeans a size smaller and THEY are a little loose!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I know what you are talking about. A couple of years back I had surgery and lost a lot of weight in a very short time. But unfortunately it's mostly musclemass, which is lost very quickly due to inactivity. When you leave the hospital you will build it back up, but that's not bad. It actually will make you fell even skinnier, because it burns away your fat reserves.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
You can't always trust the scale. Keep in mind if you are increasing your physical activity and possibly increasing muscle as well, muscle is heavier than fat. So you may not appear to be losing weight, but you are getting smaller. Firming up is a better way to lose weight and the best way to fight weight gain.
? A True Story ?