Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Advice before submitting a story Options · View
TeenVintageLace
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:51:21 AM

Lisa wrote:

Grace, your story was actually reviewed and returned to you by an Australian moderator. She mentioned that there were some spelling/grammatical errors and that it only required a little editing in order for it to be verified. I just took a look and can see a few errors in the first two paragraphs. I'll take a proper look now and work through it with you.

All moderators are aware of the differences between American and British English, regardless of which country they're from. In future it's always best to reply directly to the moderator who removes your story if you have any queries or disagree with the reasons for removal.

Thanks Lisa, I didn't know I could respond to moderators. I'm so new to this site, I only joined a couple of days ago. But now I know I will reply next time, thank you! :3 In the end though I didn't see any changes to those first two paragraphs after all. :)
Lisa
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:08:44 AM

TeenVintageLace wrote:

Thanks Lisa, I didn't know I could respond to moderators. I'm so new to this site, I only joined a couple of days ago. But now I know I will reply next time, thank you! :3 In the end though I didn't see any changes to those first two paragraphs after all. :)

I noticed you'd only joined recently. I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

The changes to the first two paragraphs were just words such as "it's" instead of "its", "is" instead of "it" and a couple of your words had been joined together. There were more further in but it didn't take long to catch them.
principessa
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:05:03 AM

For the sake of clarity, everyone should know that the first line you see in the message rejecting your story, "Too many grammatical and spelling errors" is pre-programmed into the system. If the moderator does not mention your spelling, it is likely that there were no spelling errors.

I have found that many people think we do not allow for the differences in US/UK spelling and, as Lisa said, that is not the case. Too many people rely on spell check alone, thinking that is a guarantee of no errors. Their story will contain spelling mistakes that are words such as the there, their, they're confusion. Other frequent mistakes are words that are made plural with apostrophes and possessives that lack them. Spell check does not catch errors that are words.

Please check the spelling of words you are unsure of. I had someone insist that per se (from Latin) should be per say because that is how it sounded to her.

Bottom line, the story moderators want to help make your story better and bring your writing to a publishable level. They spend hours of volunteered time reading and editing stories but are not an editing service. Some writers have noticed that the bar has been raised over the past few months and they are correct. There is no reason that erotica published here should be any less literate than anything else published out there.

1LovelyKinkyKitsune
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:51:07 PM

This added information and detail by Principessa and all the others was VERY helpful and insightful. Thank you very much.

MercyxLiddell
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:15:47 PM

I tried submitting my first story but instead of being told what was wrong I was just given a stock reply including how to make paragraphs and what not. Nothing really helpful so I have no idea what is wrong with it.
Coco
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:41:55 PM

MercyxLiddell wrote:
I tried submitting my first story but instead of being told what was wrong I was just given a stock reply including how to make paragraphs and what not. Nothing really helpful so I have no idea what is wrong with it.

It seems you've deleted your initial story submission. Because of this I cannot elaborate on what may be a problem. If possible, can you contact the moderator that reviewed your story, or send me a PM so that I can be of assistance?

NOTE to ALL: Please don't delete a story and submit as new. It eliminates the history on the story which makes it difficult for us to be helpful...in other words it wastes our time and yours.

MercyxLiddell
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 9:12:16 AM

I just tried contacting the moderator. From my side when I resubmitted it, no changes were made from me editing it. I had no idea...I do not mean to waste anybody's time. I had no intention of submitting it as a "new" story. I just wanted it resolved.