Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Story Tags - How important are they?

last reply
21 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes

Do 'Tags' affect your decision to read a story?

30 votes remaining
I always check the Tags and decide from there (33 votes) 110%
I'll read a story even if Tags aren't to my taste (1 vote) 3%
I pay no attention to Tags before reading/voting (4 votes) 13%
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
When you click on a story in a category of your choice, do you read the tags first in order to give you a better idea of what that story contains to be sure the sex/style of the story is to your personal tastes?

Some people aren't into certain sex acts and may even find them 'unerotic'. Tags will often tip you off as to what you can expect and can prevent the negative shock value mid-way through a story that potentially may affect the way you score something.

Do you check the Tags to filter your reading material or is it totally an after-thought in most cases?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I always check the tags. If it contains a subject that I am not really into I may not read it. But usually if the story is by an author whose work I really like, I will give it a try anyway. But I find the tags very helpful.

Sometimes though, I have found that the tags arent always accurate. For me that isnt really a problem, if I come across something I dont like Ill just stop reading. But I know that some people find certain subjects or sex acts very offensive so this could be a problem for them.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
whatever
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Somebody stapled a tag to my butt while I was asleep! Was that you WMM? You butt tagger!

I think story tags are important. Authors should put some real thought into them as they are a tool to sell your story to potential readers.
Lurker
0 likes
As a reader, I don't always look at tags. Sometimes I just take a wee scan, others look properly. I think it depends on the author. If I'm reading a story by someone I've not read yet, I'll pay more attention to tags. Of course, sometimes I wanna be surprised and just don't bother reading anything which may give the story away, so it also depends on my mood.

As an author, I find them useful to give some slight pointers without giving the story away too much. They also appeal to my OCD side, what with their purpose of indexing. Useful for a pedant like me smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do read the tags.. they make reading a story better :-)
“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
― Helen Keller
Lurker
0 likes
The Tags. . .are very important. They give us insight into a story before reading it.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
whatever

Alan certainly has a "way" of tagging his stories...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I ALWAYS check tags. Just because a story is in a certain category does not mean that it does not contain something I find off-putting.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I find the story tags very useful.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I never pay attention to the tags. I got catagory only.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't pay attention to tags too much when I read. I do believe that tags can tell a reader important details of a story, but authors sometimes have a different meaning on some tags. For example, my story, Midnight Date, has tags that are fairly self-explanatory (first-time, straight-sex) and a tag that can mean different things (I've read stories where an exhibitionism tag means walking around in public nude, and stories where it means having sex in public.)

I've been basing my reading selections on the blurb that comes up for the story more than anything else. Although, I have to admit that I don't really venture outside a couple of different categories.
Clumeleon
0 likes
I often forget to check tags before I start reading and then, maybe about half-way through, my "mod eyes" will kick into action and I'll flick back to check.

I think they are very important in stories with many elements and several scenes. With some stories I write, I use the tags to indicate the other categories the story might have ended up in. However, I'm also cautious of giving too much away (the same is true of category). Like, sometimes I might want to put something in Love Stories but don't because it makes the ending even more predictable.

I believe I've only ever written one story containing any sexual acts that readers might find "off-putting" and the tags were quite clear in that—they knew what they were in for.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In general yes, I find the tags informative and useful, though certainly not the only consideration. They can be useful as search terms, so maybe someone will find your story after it's moved off the front page if they're looking for something specific. I also appreciate when an author has fun with the tags. Frank Lee has some choice ones -- bumpin', humpin', cranking, yanking, spanking. Doesn't add anything to the classification, but lets me know he's got a sense of humor at the outset.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Tags can be helpful, so you know if the story is to your interests or not. On the other hand, tags cannot tell you about the quality of the story. I often read the first few sentences to get a feel for the style and the way the story grabs your attention.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I always read tags ....make sure the story is really what im looking for.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
The tags help a lot. Usually, if a story can catch my eye in the opening paragraph, I'll probably read through. There are certain things I'm not a fan of, but I know not everyone will like what I write either.
Lurker
0 likes
To me tags are very useful. Not just for deciding if a particular story is "for me", but also because my stories tend to contain different elements. Having to log something under a vague category heading, forcing me to choose between several different elements, would really make my head explode.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
A writer who does not tag their stories/poems is nuts. They help many readers decide whether or not to read new posts. Tags can also direct readers searching for a particular sub-category such as, humor, military, nurse, jock, etc.. In a way, they're like free billboards directing readers to your submissions. Use 'em.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I always check the tags to see what I should expect from the tags. I think they're important to the reader to see if they want to read it or not.
You seem sweet, mind if I lick you to make sure?
Princess Blondie
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
A writer who does not tag their stories/poems is nuts. They help many readers decide whether or not to read new posts. Tags can also direct readers searching for a particular sub-category such as, humor, military, nurse, jock, etc.. In a way, they're like free billboards directing readers to your submissions. Use 'em.

I think he is right.
I check tags because even though it's under a category I might like, or the title might sound good. If the tags don't match to what I'm looking for I don't want to read it.
†Jinxy Approved†

Lurker
0 likes
I always check the tags.