Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

NRA; Dictatorship and censorship Options · View
elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:39:18 PM

Came across this interesting little piece

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/16/16532333-obama-plan-eases-freeze-on-cdc-gun-violence-research

It tells a bit about gun research done and partly also why there haven't been any broad studies into the whole range of gun ownership and violence. The two main points that I think are crucial in this article are these two things.

1) Research showed that homes with guns had three times greater risks of homocide and five times the risks of suicide. In other words, yes, you might feel a bit safer from intruders, but you're still more likely to have a homocide occur in your house thanks to the 9mm under your bed.

Of course, I don't think this study is at all conclusive on whether or nut guns create more suicides or anything like that, BUT the results from this study really do cry out for more research to be done on the matter.

2) The NRA and their buddie's way of censoring research that might not go their way. One thing is if they go out and say that this research might not be good or actually use civilised methods, but using their channels to choke funding, slander the scientists that wanted to do the research and in some cases even threatening their families. I hear the extremists call out that by gun control will be a first step towards a dictatorish government, but the way I see it you already have several organisations causing a communist/nazi like censorship of anything they don't agree with and might hurt their cause.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Buz
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:11:44 PM

I've never read a study that wasn't construed. Those are some of the best forms of propaganda.

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

DLizze
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:47:16 PM

UNfortunately, socieological research, like any other research, costs money. Most reasearch foundations and colleges cannot afford to simply expend money for "pure" research, so they decide what outcomne they want to prove, then approach the group interested in that outcome for funding.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 7:29:03 PM

And if the money comes from the congress? Because that's what happened here. If you read the article you'll see how pro gun people managed to choke money from the congress to research on gun violence. Does that mean that all government funded research is worth nothing and that because of that we can't trust any research done in the US? Because that's how you come off.

And where are all the pro gun people in this? Surely they'd be interested in this research too. After all, they're so damn sure that there is no corrolation between the amount of guns in homes and the level of violence that thourogh research on this would confirm their theories. Not to mention; why won't they distance themselves from the actions of the NRA and Pro Gunners. Does that mean you condone the action of threatening researcher's families as long as you get to keep your guns?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 11:22:32 PM

elitfromnorth wrote:
And if the money comes from the congress? Because that's what happened here. If you read the article you'll see how pro gun people managed to choke money from the congress to research on gun violence. Does that mean that all government funded research is worth nothing and that because of that we can't trust any research done in the US? Because that's how you come off.

And where are all the pro gun people in this? Surely they'd be interested in this research too. After all, they're so damn sure that there is no corrolation between the amount of guns in homes and the level of violence that thourogh research on this would confirm their theories. Not to mention; why won't they distance themselves from the actions of the NRA and Pro Gunners. Does that mean you condone the action of threatening researcher's families as long as you get to keep your guns?