Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Prince Harry likens killing the Taliban to playing the Xbox Options · View
nicola
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 6:22:59 PM

Or words to that effect: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/01/22/08/06/prince-harry-ends-afghan-tour

I was rather amazed to read his flippant remarks.

Should the royals' press office be a little more on the ball, vetting what goes out for public consumption?

He seems to have inheritted his grandfather's knack of coming out with the first thing that comes into his head.
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 7:03:39 PM

Yes, considering daddies more Muslim lean in his statements over the past few years. Although there are Muslims who disdain the Taliban as much as the rest of us, this "game" ideology is not the approach.

Have to admit though, I am more amazed that he seems to be an actual human being and not a puppet. Young men view combat in differing ways, and are there for different reasons, and deal with it in different ways.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 8:08:41 PM

From what I read of it, he says that the controls in the helicopter to be similar to the ones in the Apache. You know, push L stick to the left to guide the 30 mm cannon type of thing. Can't say where he says "Oh, killing the Taliban is pretty much the same as when I played CoD." Storm in a water glass.

As for Prince Phillip you just have to laugh. He once asked the mum of a man who had just swam the channel "Are there any more nutters in your family?"

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 8:11:16 PM

What he really said was more along the lines of, "I play video games a lot, so I have ample coordination and dexterity to operate the controls of my weapons system." Not the first time I've heard that, either. The military has been producing video games as training tools for at least twenty years that I'm aware of.

What Harry said is much tamer than what the American sniper told the reporter when she asked him what he felt when he pulled his trigger on an enemy. He simply said, "Recoil."

Buz
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 8:19:31 PM

I wonder what the Taliban feel when they kill young girls for going to school and learning to read.

As for the UK Prince Harry he's probably quite spoiled and doesn't worry about what he says. Personally having never been in combat, I wouldn't know what I would say but can only imagine that I'd say as little as possible. My granddad is going on 90 and he still has a hard time talking about his combat experience in WWII. But infantry fighting is probably much more personal than shooting from a helicopter.