Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

These US gun control / law debates are pointless, here's my opinion why Options · View
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:48:56 AM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,571
Location: The Orgasmatron
I'm all for open, intelligent debate on this subject. However, every thread I encounter, on here, or elsewhere about it, always end up the same way. A slanging match between those for and against. Talk about flogging a dead horse.

This is the opinion of a non-US citizen, someone who grew up in the UK, and moved to Australia in the 90's.

First and most importantly, let's state the obvious. IT'S TOO LATE for the USA to backtrack. It's now totally impossible to control. End of story.

It's indoctrinated into the American culture and psyche, for people to think that owning a gun is the norm, "their right". There are around the same number of guns, if not more, in the US than people.

Don't you find that statistic absolutely ludicrous? I sure hope you do.

I'd never even seen a gun growing up in the UK (other than a gamekeeper's shotgun once), until I came to Australia in my early twenties. Even then I was shocked to see police carrying pistols.

So what can you do about it?

It's logistically, financially, and politically impossible to even consider trying to get all those firearms out of the hands of the American public.

So what's the intelligent thing to do?

I would think the obvious steps would include:

- Ask for (maybe tax credits) and if necessary, buy back as many guns from people as possible. This type of amnesty was extremely successful in Australia following the Port Arthur Massacre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

- Restrict the supply of weapons onto the market. Why would anyone need more than one of the same kind of weapon?

- Banning all assault rifles / weapons with high capacity. There is not going to be a zombie apocalypse. The probability of you ever needing a high powered assault rifle, is greater than you winning the US Lottery. There is no reason whatsoever to own such a weapon.

- Limit the amount of ammunition any one person can buy / have in their possession at any one time.

- Perform extremely thorough background checks on anyone buying a gun.

It stands to reason, that the fewer guns that are out there and that are easily obtainable, the fewer nutcases are going to go on a rampage.

You are now paying the price for poor jurisdiction, decades ago. There's not much you can do about that.
clum
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:52:50 AM

Rank: Clumeleon

Joined: 5/13/2011
Posts: 4,665
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Hear, hear.

Every day is a school day.
niceguy89
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:44:55 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/16/2009
Posts: -24
Location: Texas, United States
Aright now, Round 250,934!! Ding ding ding. Lol

I am going to clear one thing up. 90% of what you said is completely logical. All those points can and will slow/stop the average nutcase from getting arms. There is not going to be a zombie problem. Ha ha that's just silly. Background checks, ammo limits, gun bans, limit the supply of guns, and buy backs all will reduce gun crime. In what ever North America is renamed after it is destroyed from the inside out.

Here is where I disagree. It is not too late for the U.S.A to backtrack. We are not overrun with gun crime. My calculations of the guns deaths in 2010 using this pdf link
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/deaths_2010_release.pdf
equal 12.6% of all deaths. Taken into account that this does not include war, natural disasters or nonresidents of the U.S.
That is 31,076 gun deaths out of 2,468,435 total death. Someone check the math cause I might be wrong. I was a C- student in school. This means that as long as we don't fall prey to media panic: we can overcome this gun violence.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:22:09 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,142
Location: United States
Is there any kind of actual, empirical evidence to show that any of these steps would actually have any impact on crime whatsoever? No, not really. In my opinion, any attempts at reducing crime have to start with the source of the crime: the criminal. Better mental health evaluations for juveniles as well as more resources allocated for treatment would go a long way toward stopping juvenile crime. Ending "revolving door" justice would also help. Get rid of victimless crimes like prostitution, and make pot legal, to free up prison space. Fill up that free space with hard-core violent offenders that actually pose a danger to the community. If society actually targeted dangerous people, locking them away, then carrying a weapon for self defense would be seen as something out of the ordinary, rather than the necessity it's becoming.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:07:59 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,302
Location: West Coast
MrNudiePants wrote:
Is there any kind of actual, empirical evidence to show that any of these steps would actually have any impact on crime whatsoever?



Link wrote:


On the other side of the world, just a month after the 1996 Dunblane attack, a shooter in the town of Port Arthur, Tasmania, went on a rampage, killing 35 people in what is the worst single episode of such slaughter in Australian history. The then months-old old government of conservative Prime Minister John Howard — who would go on to rule for over a decade — initiated a sweeping set of reforms, even in the face of opposition from allies in Australia’s right wing. The new measures banned the sale and possession of all automatic and semiautomatic rifles and shotguns. Moreover, the government instituted a mandatory buyback scheme that compensated owners of newly illegal weapons. Between 1996 and ’98, some 700,000 guns were retrieved by the government and destroyed. The results have been tangible: A widely cited 2010 study in the American Journal of Law & Economics showed that gun-related homicides in Australia dropped 59% between 1995 and 2006. The firearm-suicide rate dropped 65%. There has been no mass shooting in Australia since the Port Arthur attack.




overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:48:44 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,024
Location: United Kingdom
@ nicola

I've found a new way to enjoy these threads. I read through them replacing the word "guns" with the word "testicles", sometimes I replace "assault rifles" with "fucking massive testicles". Unfortunately, while very amusing (to me) it does nothing to solve the pro-testicle/anti-testicle debate.

Quote:
dont forget that this country was founded on testicles and that have been around long than testicle laws. testicle laws came around because of candy ass congressmen in the liberal states. as you can tell i am pro testicles and will defend my right to own as many testicles as a person would like to have.


Quote:
When I carry testicles, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. Tesiticles is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. Testicles removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.


Quote:
And no, sticking testicles in our faces when you make your arguments like several on this thread have done does not intimidate us. It merely provides a convincing reason to take those testicles away from you because you are the type of people we want to take them away from.


Quote:
I saw an anti-testicle advocate on television tonight who thinks that private citizens have no reason to own testicles. She went on-air saying that she really didn't understand why testicles have to have "clips" anyway. How can someone who knows nothing about testicles be trusted to regulate them fairly?


Quote:
Again I say, testicles do not kill people, people do. That said I own long testicles, short testicles, have a conceal carry permit. Legally I own fucking massive testicles but not a huge capacity clip. My testicles live in a gun safe, ammuntion stored elsewhere, and trigger locks are in place. Even stolen all the bad guy can do is swing it like a club.

Now that said, I feel the real issue comes with the fact government is trying to legislate away my constitutional right 'to bear testicles.' I am not the bad guy.




Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:49:44 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,024
Location: United Kingdom
niceguy89 wrote:
We are not overrun with gun crime. My calculations of the guns deaths in 2010 using this pdf link
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/deaths_2010_release.pdf
equal 12.6% of all deaths. Taken into account that this does not include war, natural disasters or nonresidents of the U.S.
That is 31,076 gun deaths out of 2,468,435 total death. Someone check the math cause I might be wrong. I was a C- student in school.


It's actually 1.26% which is actually rather shocking. Look down your facebook friends list and every 79th person say "will die of firearm injury".

In the UK you'd need 3,240 friends before you'd find one that will die in that manner

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
crazydiamond
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:01:04 AM

Rank: Clever Gem

Joined: 7/17/2011
Posts: 2,286
Location: Exactly where I should be!, Canada
overmykneenow wrote:
@ nicola

I've found a new way to enjoy these threads. I read through them replacing the word "guns" with the word "testicles", sometimes I replace "assault rifles" with "fucking massive testicles". Unfortunately, while very amusing (to me) it does nothing to solve the pro-testicle/anti-testicle debate.


Finally this debate becomes interesting.

God bless testicles! The guns were boring the shit out of me.

pixiedust65
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:22:04 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/17/2013
Posts: 347
Location: Over the Rainbow, Canada
overmykneenow wrote:
@ nicola

I've found a new way to enjoy these threads. I read through them replacing the word "guns" with the word "testicles", sometimes I replace "assault rifles" with "fucking massive testicles". Unfortunately, while very amusing (to me) it does nothing to solve the pro-testicle/anti-testicle debate


lol I think I might go view those threads now.

niceguy89
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:51:17 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/16/2009
Posts: -24
Location: Texas, United States
overmykneenow wrote:
@ nicola

I've found a new way to enjoy these threads. I read through them replacing the word "guns" with the word "testicles", sometimes I replace "assault rifles" with "fucking massive testicles". Unfortunately, while very amusing (to me) it does nothing to solve the pro-testicle/anti-testicle debate.


Very funny, thank you for that.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:33:17 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,913
Location: California
Nicola wrote:
First and most importantly, let's state the obvious. IT'S TOO LATE for the USA to backtrack. It's now totally impossible to control. End of story.


True.

That's why the notion of a total gun ban is silly and a non point when these debates (blow harding matches) happen.

Quote:
It's indoctrinated into the American culture and psyche, for people to think that owning a gun is the norm, "their right". There are around the same number of guns, if not more, in the US than people.

Don't you find that statistic absolutely ludicrous? I sure hope you do.


Yes.

Quote:
So what's the intelligent thing to do?

I would think the obvious steps would include:

- Ask for (maybe tax credits) and if necessary, buy back as many guns from people as possible. This type of amnesty was extremely successful in Australia following the Port Arthur Massacre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

- Restrict the supply of weapons onto the market. Why would anyone need more than one of the same kind of weapon?

- Banning all assault rifles / weapons with high capacity. There is not going to be a zombie apocalypse. The probability of you ever needing a high powered assault rifle, is greater than you winning the US Lottery. There is no reason whatsoever to own such a weapon.

- Limit the amount of ammunition any one person can buy / have in their possession at any one time.

- Perform extremely thorough background checks on anyone buying a gun.


I agree on all counts.

It's not far off from happening. Probably by the end of the year for assault rifles anyway.

Quote:
It stands to reason, that the fewer guns that are out there and that are easily obtainable, the fewer nutcases are going to go on a rampage.



That's just it. Half the population in America is unreasonable.

The pro-assault rifle side can't provide any valid reasons as to needing them but the other side that is anti-assault rifle does provide valid reasons. Then the AR-15 hobbyists say, "well God granted me the right to own one and it says right there in the 2nd amendment I can have one." It's totally unreasonable. They think that their love of their hobby outweighs the death and sorrow left behind by these weapons.

It's totally unreasonable.



Guest
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:50:01 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,966
I must admit the gun control subject has been one that divides the US and being from there i find myself on the side of gun owners. I am a gun owner and own a hand gun and two hunting rifles. And because of recent events plan to acquire my license to carry. I was one who did not plan to get this because i never felt the need, never thought I would ever need it. However society has changed and some people have no respect for human life and that's the ones who have pushed me to protect my family and myself. Point: went to a movie Monday with friends and our kids. a 20 something yr old man worked his way down our isle and sat in a seat between myself and other couple that was two seats from me, while there was an entire row in front of us with only two people and 15 seats on the other side of the couple he chose the sit between us. kinda creepy. he continually looked at his phone, place his hand in and out of his pockets and generally was restless the entire movie. my gut said something was wasn't right, my mind wondered if he was for the movie or some other crazy reason. well nothing happened, however because of all the recent events I couldn't help wish i had my carry permit and a gun. I don't think gun control is the answer because the ones that want to hurt people will find a way to get a gun and do their damage. we can put the statistics out to prove our side of the argument, but statistics will not stop bad people from doing bad things. My 2 cents
ByronLord
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:59:34 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/14/2010
Posts: 754
Location: Massachusetts, United States
nicola wrote:
I'm all for open, intelligent debate on this subject. However, every thread I encounter, on here, or elsewhere about it, always end up the same way. A slanging match between those for and against. Talk about flogging a dead horse.

This is the opinion of a non-US citizen, someone who grew up in the UK, and moved to Australia in the 90's.

First and most importantly, let's state the obvious. IT'S TOO LATE for the USA to backtrack. It's now totally impossible to control. End of story.


I beg to differ there. We have had quite a lot of success disarming various countries in the aftermath of civil wars. In the case of the Solomon Islands they went from a civil war to total disarmament in a couple of years.

What is actually being proposed is the type of moderate controls on firearms that you suggested. But the leaders of the pro-gun camp considers any form of gun control whatsoever to be exactly equivalent to banning all firearms and opening concentration camps. And I am really not joking there.

The pro-gun '3 percenters' believe that they need their weapons to defend America against a Soviet invasion like in Red Dawn. The fact that the US military is more than capable of dealing with any imaginable threat...

We are not talking about hunters or reasonable people here.

I think that is a rather stupid legislative strategy for them to follow. But if they are going to say that banning high capacity magazines is just as objectionable to them as banning handguns then I will take both. Banning handguns won't stop all the firearm murders but it would reduce them. There is abundant evidence from Australia and elsewhere that gun control does not need to be 100% effective to have a significant effect.

They had nine mass shootings (5 or more dead) last year and one so far this year. I think it is rather obvious that there is a link between video games and the form of the mass shootings. But banning XBox as the NRA gun nutters propose is going to be a lot harder than banning the guns.

The question is not whether assault weapons are going to be banned but how many Newtown massacres it is going to take for the members of Congress to be more afraid of their angry constituents than the NRA.

ByronLord
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:05:06 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/14/2010
Posts: 754
Location: Massachusetts, United States
t-rex wrote:
I must admit the gun control subject has been one that divides the US and being from there i find myself on the side of gun owners. I am a gun owner and own a hand gun and two hunting rifles. And because of recent events plan to acquire my license to carry. I was one who did not plan to get this because i never felt the need, never thought I would ever need it. However society has changed and some people have no respect for human life and that's the ones who have pushed me to protect my family and myself. Point: went to a movie Monday with friends and our kids. a 20 something yr old man worked his way down our isle and sat in a seat between myself and other couple that was two seats from me, while there was an entire row in front of us with only two people and 15 seats on the other side of the couple he chose the sit between us. kinda creepy. he continually looked at his phone, place his hand in and out of his pockets and generally was restless the entire movie. my gut said something was wasn't right, my mind wondered if he was for the movie or some other crazy reason. well nothing happened, however because of all the recent events I couldn't help wish i had my carry permit and a gun. I don't think gun control is the answer because the ones that want to hurt people will find a way to get a gun and do their damage. we can put the statistics out to prove our side of the argument, but statistics will not stop bad people from doing bad things. My 2 cents


So you are going to get a gun so that you get an open seat in the cinema?

What the heck are you planning to do with it?

The reason that gun control is back on the agenda is because a racist idiot in Florida killed a black teenager he thought was acting suspicious and a nutcase went on a killing spree in a movie theater.

Having a gun does not make you trained to respond to that type of situation and without training you are just another person firing guns at people. You might hit the attacker but there is a very high chance that you will hit someone else and an even higher chance that someone will shoot you thinking that you are the shooter or acting with them.

nicola
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:59:42 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,571
Location: The Orgasmatron
ByronLord wrote:
I beg to differ there. We have had quite a lot of success disarming various countries in the aftermath of civil wars. In the case of the Solomon Islands they went from a civil war to total disarmament in a couple of years.


What I mean is, you try getting back the majority of 300 million weapons and let me know how that works out for you in practice. In the Solomon Islands, you are talking less than 10,000 guns were destroyed.

A lot of Americans would simply refuse to give up their arsenal.

The whole 2nd amendment argument is total bullshit. That's where the problems escalated from in the first place. The lawmakers got it wrong at the start. Admit it. Change the laws, correct your attitude.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:12:17 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,142
Location: United States
nicola wrote:


A lot of Americans would simply refuse to give up their arsenal.



Not for nothing, but our Canadian friends spent whole piles of cash just trying to get their citizens to register their firearms, and the attempt was a dismal disaster.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:26:05 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,142
Location: United States
Dancing_Doll wrote:


Sure, and I could point out areas where strict gun control led to huge increases in murder and other crimes (cough, Mexico, cough).

Cultures vary widely. Americans view things differently than New Zealanders. Show me a decent population group here in America where gun control efforts have been proven to have a positive effect on crime and we can talk, because I can show you plenty of places right here where the exact opposite is true.
crazydiamond
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:30:53 PM

Rank: Clever Gem

Joined: 7/17/2011
Posts: 2,286
Location: Exactly where I should be!, Canada
nicola wrote:


What I mean is, you try getting back the majority of 300 million weapons and let me know how that works out for you in practice. In the Solomon Islands, you are talking less than 10,000 guns were destroyed.

A lot of Americans would simply refuse to give up their arsenal.

The whole 2nd amendment argument is total bullshit. That's where the problems escalated from in the first place. The lawmakers got it wrong at the start. Admit it. Change the laws, correct your attitude.


I think a certain OMKN would refuse to give up his Arsenal too , hahahaha ( but at least in the UK it's just football) f-hihi



nicola
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:36:39 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,571
Location: The Orgasmatron
MrNudiePants wrote:
Cultures vary widely. Americans view things differently than New Zealanders.


Where are the New Zealanders in this thread? dontknow

The USA isn't Mexico, which has it's own set of issues, and isn't the country in discussion here.

There are similarities between people in the US and Australia. If it works here, it would probably work there too.

Your problem is one of scale. Getting back 250 million weapons would still leave 50 million out there. How on earth would you ever get all the weapons back? Criminals would have a field day.

The problem is unfixable.
crazydiamond
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:42:06 PM

Rank: Clever Gem

Joined: 7/17/2011
Posts: 2,286
Location: Exactly where I should be!, Canada
nicola wrote:

The problem is unfixable.



Oh my ...sad times.



Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:50:41 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,913
Location: California
Nicola wrote:
The USA isn't Mexico, which has it's own set of issues, and isn't the country in discussion here.


MrNudiePants wrote:


Sure, and I could point out areas where strict gun control led to huge increases in murder and other crimes (cough, Mexico, cough).



The government in Mexico is corrupt because the Cartel has an endless supply of money. The money comes from selling drugs to America. America is above and beyond the biggest consumer of Mexican drugs. The Americans don't always pay the Cartels with money... They pay them in guns too because they are more valuable to them. If America legalized drugs we would reduce the amount of money in the cartel's pockets, reduce corruption in Mexico (and death) while at the same time putting money in our own pockets. Mexico will become less dangerous, the country will become more stable and their economy would improve lowering illegal immigration into the United States.

Mexico and the USA are tied together in many ways. Guns are just one of them.





Guest
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:24:19 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,966
ByronLord wrote:


So you are going to get a gun so that you get an open seat in the cinema?

What the heck are you planning to do with it?

The reason that gun control is back on the agenda is because a racist idiot in Florida killed a black teenager he thought was acting suspicious and a nutcase went on a killing spree in a movie theater.

Having a gun does not make you trained to respond to that type of situation and without training you are just another person firing guns at people. You might hit the attacker but there is a very high chance that you will hit someone else and an even higher chance that someone will shoot you thinking that you are the shooter or acting with them.


You forgot one important thing in your speech about George Zimmerman. The word allegedly. He hasn't been tried nor convicted in a United States court of law. Only in the court of public opinion.

One of the key problems in this country is dealing with behavioral problems and mental health. Which has nothing to do with my George Zimmerman remark, by the way. A lot of the people, usually men, that decide to commit these mass shootings have mental problems before they commit their crime. How many times have you heard people interviewed after the fact say in affect, he was "weird". Or he acted "funny". Or he was "strange". From what I've seen and read, quite a few. We sweep mental health issues under the rug in hopes that no one will notice until something like this happens. Then everyone starts the finger pointing, chest beating and scapegoats. Until we as a nation work to find a solutions as to the cause, these shootings will continue. No matter how many laws are passed. Gangs, burglars, accidents too, will continue to get guns and use them in their crimes. Many cities have stringent weapons laws here but still have a high gun usage in crimes and accidents. Politicians will continue to yell that they're doing something to smooth the voters ruffled feathers but, it's not going to stop the problem. NYC now has a 7 bullet limit. Think about that. 7. That could be 7 children or teachers or anyone. Do you honestly think that's going to do a thing? So the next James Holmes does what the last one did. Stockpile. Read. Wait. He didn't just use a semi auto rifle. He used a hand gun too. He also booby trapped his apartment. Most of the building would have felt the effects of the police or anyone, going into his apartment.
As I said in the other thread, the way they degenerate so quickly to the mess that they become is a minuscule scale compared to the politicians version of it. Throw into the mix the money that the NRA and other interested parties have and you have a mess on a larger scale. Yet still, nothing gets done. It will just keep happening until there can be some kind of awakening and compromise.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:27:05 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,966
ByronLord wrote:


So you are going to get a gun so that you get an open seat in the cinema?

What the heck are you planning to do with it?

The reason that gun control is back on the agenda is because a racist idiot in Florida killed a black teenager he thought was acting suspicious and a nutcase went on a killing spree in a movie theater.

Having a gun does not make you trained to respond to that type of situation and without training you are just another person firing guns at people. You might hit the attacker but there is a very high chance that you will hit someone else and an even higher chance that someone will shoot you thinking that you are the shooter or acting with them.


Excuse me My Lord, it had nothing to do with me getting a seat in a movie and i never said anything about race so it seems you have added some words of your own to the post that were not there. Yes i am trained to use it and it would be to protect my family and other innocent people. its your type of attitude that makes this such a divided topic, those who can not understand other views and are not willing to try. Good Day!!
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:33:07 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,142
Location: United States
nicola wrote:


Where are the New Zealanders in this thread? dontknow



I did, cause I think New Zealanders are awesome. Every one I've ever met was a stone-cold badass who would give you the shirt off his back if you needed a hand.

That said, there are just as many differences between as there are similarities. What may have worked for you may or may not work here. I'm guessing not.

nicola
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:38:34 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,571
Location: The Orgasmatron
Time to put down the Glenfiddich!
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:51:51 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,142
Location: United States
nicola wrote:
Time to put down the Glenfiddich!


Chivas...
overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:05:51 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,024
Location: United Kingdom
Well I learnt more on the subject from this article than a lot of the rhetoric being bandied about...

http://boingboing.net/2012/12/14/what-science-says-about-gun-co.html

Of course, the irony is that the comment section of the piece goes on to prove the points covered in the article by degenerating in exactly the manner it predicts.


Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
nicola
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:02:19 AM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,571
Location: The Orgasmatron
overmykneenow wrote:
Of course, the irony is that the comment section of the piece goes on to prove the points covered in the article by degenerating in exactly the manner it predicts.


Yes. Hence this post about the futility of trying to "debate" the issues at hand.

1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:53:40 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/25/2011
Posts: 1,144
Location: São Paulo , Brazil
I have a different opinion as to why it is almost pointless to have this kind of debate for such issues in the US.

The country is too big and way to populated to have find reasonable consensus on such issues. The range of realities that it´s citizens encounter on a daily basis is far too great to find common ground.

Same thing happens in Brazil on a more economic stand point. You have people who are so wealthy that they transport themselves by helicopter while others live in wooden shacks they build with their own hands. How do you find common ground in such realities?

In the US, the discrepancy is mostly cultural. Those who wish to maintain tradition and those willing to question tradition.




Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:42:11 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,142
Location: United States
overmykneenow wrote:
Well I learnt more on the subject from this article than a lot of the rhetoric being bandied about...

http://boingboing.net/2012/12/14/what-science-says-about-gun-co.html

Of course, the irony is that the comment section of the piece goes on to prove the points covered in the article by degenerating in exactly the manner it predicts.


Excellent essay. Thanks for bringing it out.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.