Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Cyberbullying?? Options · View
CurlyGirly
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:25:55 PM

Packer Cheerleader Fights Facebook Bullying article

On Monday, 02/04/13, the Chicago Bears Fan Page posted a picture of a young woman who was one of the Green Bay Packer Cheerleaders with the caption "Like if You Agree The Packers Have The Worst Cheerleaders In The NFL!" As of 3:00 PM today, the page had over 3,400 likes and some awful, horrible comments including:

"Doesn't get uglier. Truly an eyesore."
"that bitch look like a bag of potatoes lol"
"Too much cheese for her ass"

Thankfully, people have started rallying around this young woman, and she has now gotten many more positive comments than negative ones.

Facebook says that the post does not meet their terms of cyberbullying. The woman has also sent a message to FB and the Chicago Bears Fan page to have the picture of herself taken down, which has not been done. She has countered and created a video to fight what she says is cyberbullying, which you can see in the article linked below.

So, my question is, do you think this is a case of cyberbullying or agree with FB for allowing the picture/post to remain for so long?

Edit: Approximately 3:20 PM the post was removed along with the 1200+ comments and this post was made. Chicago Bears Fan Page Picture Removal post

It won a potato. Aren't you intrigued?

foxjack
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:06:00 PM

Even if Facebook takes it down it'll just get put up on some other media site and people will post links to that page. At least if Facebook allows it you know there is a record being kept of every jackass that makes a comment, and their friends and family have a chance to see how immature they are.
allinabout18times
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 8:03:13 AM

Tough question... No doubt (in my mind) that it was in appropriate. And yes it should be taken down. But it's out there. And stupid... and mostly I feel sorry for the immature people and their hurtful posts... We do things in our lives we later regret. Hurting others ranks right up there for things we regret later - if we ever mature.

"If you don't do the roadwork in the dark of the morning, you get found out under the bright lights." Joe Frazier
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 1:17:43 PM

I've seen all kinds of insulting posts like this on people's public profiles - especially for models, actors, athletes and those that are in the public eye. They either end up on Facebook or in comment sections of articles on them. I can understand why FB doesn't want to get overly involved. Unfortunately insulting/bullying comments like these are extremely common. Unfortunately I've seen way worse. I swear some people have nothing better to do than to act like completely immature assholes when they're online. These days it seems par for the course. If you're in the public eye and start googling yourself, you have to have pretty thick skin to not get rattled if you start cruising the comments sections. That's why many of them just avoid it altogether.

oldhound
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:00:52 PM

Just criminalize it and charge whoever owns the IP address. Like riding in a stolen car, youre in possession of it. One bust leads to another, soon bullies have nowhere to hide and we can all play dial Saigon. :)
Tranquil
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:23:17 PM

Nasty behavior
I don't' care what the bases is (Jealously, peer pressure etc).

If you have Nothing nice to say, You say nothing at all..

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

CurlyGirly
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:22:30 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
I've seen all kinds of insulting posts like this on people's public profiles - especially for models, actors, athletes and those that are in the public eye. They either end up on Facebook or in comment sections of articles on them. I can understand why FB doesn't want to get overly involved. Unfortunately insulting/bullying comments like these are extremely common. Unfortunately I've seen way worse. I swear some people have nothing better to do than to act like completely immature assholes when they're online. These days it seems par for the course. If you're in the public eye and start googling yourself, you have to have pretty thick skin to not get rattled if you start cruising the comments sections. That's why many of them just avoid it altogether.

I totally get what you're saying, but these are "volunteer" cheerleaders. They are college students who go to UW Green Bay or another local college and volunteer to cheer for GB. Do you think that makes a difference?

From FB's Help Center:

What should I do if I see a friend being targeted or bullied on Facebook?
If you see a friend being targeted or bullied on Facebook, please report this to us. If you think your friend needs help right away, let someone you trust know, like a parent or teacher.

Bullying and Harassment: Facebook does not tolerate bullying or harassment. We allow users to speak freely on matters and people of public interest, but take action on all reports of abusive behavior directed at private individuals. Repeatedly targeting other users with unwanted friend requests or messages is a form of harassment.

oldhound wrote:
Just criminalize it and charge whoever owns the IP address. Like riding in a stolen car, youre in possession of it. One bust leads to another, soon bullies have nowhere to hide and we can all play dial Saigon. :)

What exactly are we charging them with? Right now, I don't think being a cowardly dickhead is a chargeable offense. Hmmm, maybe if I write a strongly-worded letter to my senator???

oldhound
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:40:42 AM

Ms chef, thats for the investigators to decide, and the courts to adjudicate
elitfromnorth
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:08:07 PM

oldhound wrote:
Ms chef, thats for the investigators to decide, and the courts to adjudicate

I think it was here in Norway that the courts decided that simply having an IP adress isn't enough to get a conviction, because it doesn't exclude anyone. In a house with 3-4 computers any one of those computers may have been used and any one in the house may have been the one doing it. Secondly, you have what chef said, what if someone just comes in and nicks your wi fi for 10 minutes and then buggers off again? Should you be the one charged? If it's going to be done for this, then maybe they should charge you as well for neglicence since you left your wi fi open. Internet cafes? Should they be required to keep logs and ID checks as well as video surveilance of those using public comps?

If you wanna charge people based on IP then you're fucking up their entire judicial security and the right to fair trial, because it won't be fair.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:12:41 PM

CurlyGirly wrote:

I totally get what you're saying, but these are "volunteer" cheerleaders. They are college students who go to UW Green Bay or another local college and volunteer to cheer for GB. Do you think that makes a difference?

From FB's Help Center:

What should I do if I see a friend being targeted or bullied on Facebook?
If you see a friend being targeted or bullied on Facebook, please report this to us. If you think your friend needs help right away, let someone you trust know, like a parent or teacher.

Bullying and Harassment: Facebook does not tolerate bullying or harassment. We allow users to speak freely on matters and people of public interest, but take action on all reports of abusive behavior directed at private individuals. Repeatedly targeting other users with unwanted friend requests or messages is a form of harassment.

I read that she's a former Green Bay Packers cheerleader so the rivalry might have sparked some of the douchebaggery in the comments. Technically I don't totally consider her a 'private individual' because of that (she is choosing to be publicly associated with a sports team), and needless to say *anyone* involved in the realm of sports are often targeted by keyboard warriors and internet dumbasses. That doesn't excuse it by any means - it's just that it's so widespread. I do think the sports culture factored into this one big time unfortunately.

Obviously this was upsetting to her and so the post/pic should have been taken down by the Fansite. They are the ones that should be monitoring public posts and deleting inappropriate ones. I think that should have basically been the end of it though. FB was obviously just trying to draw a clear line to prevent precedent-setting involvement for everyone that gets criticized on the internet and wants to involve them in the clean-up.

As to some people making the suggestion to criminalize it - you can't charge someone for saying a person is ugly. It's a rude opinion, but it's not criminal. If it's repeated and persistent harassment by an individual that seems malicious in intent or is damaging the person's reputation, then they can obviously sue for defamation etc but it's up to the victim to determine whether they want to proceed with something like that. Otherwise where does it stop? Tying up the courts with IP address garbage because some stranger posted on Facebook that someone looked like a sack of potatoes?

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:50:37 PM

Bully or Moderator. Political correctness comes in many fashions in this nondescript age. Cry troll, or just cry. Before we've cemented our own roles, duties, and position in real life, along comes the net, and the shit hits the fan.
CurlyGirly
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:54:27 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

I read that she's a former Green Bay Packers cheerleader so the rivalry might have sparked some of the douchebaggery in the comments. Technically I don't totally consider her a 'private individual' because of that (she is choosing to be publicly associated with a sports team), and needless to say *anyone* involved in the realm of sports are often targeted by keyboard warriors and internet dumbasses. That doesn't excuse it by any means - it's just that it's so widespread. I do think the sports culture factored into this one big time unfortunately.

Obviously this was upsetting to her and so the post/pic should have been taken down by the Fansite. They are the ones that should be monitoring public posts and deleting inappropriate ones. I think that should have basically been the end of it though. FB was obviously just trying to draw a clear line to prevent precedent-setting involvement for everyone that gets criticized on the internet and wants to involve them in the clean-up.

As to some people making the suggestion to criminalize it - you can't charge someone for saying a person is ugly. It's a rude opinion, but it's not criminal. If it's repeated and persistent harassment by an individual that seems malicious in intent or is damaging the person's reputation, then they can obviously sue for defamation etc but it's up to the victim to determine whether they want to proceed with something like that. Otherwise where does it stop? Tying up the courts with IP address garbage because some stranger posted on Facebook that someone looked like a sack of potatoes?

Yes, she was a volunteer cheerleader for the Packers and the rivalry between the Bears and Pack had EVERYTHING to do with the post. I agree there were a lot of douchey posts, but beyond that she is certain that she was being cyberbullied. I was curious who agreed or not that she was. Great input

I also agree there isn't anything criminal going on. A lot of poor taste, yes, but not criminal.

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:28:37 PM

Typical asshole Bears fan reaching for anything because his team can't beat the Packers is all that was. LOL so let's rip on thier cheerleaders.As for cyberbullying? I do't really buy into that term. I think Cyber harrasment would be a more appropriate term imo.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:08:41 PM

lovewhenuswallow wrote:
Typical asshole Bears fan reaching for anything because his team can't beat the Packers is all that was. LOL so let's rip on thier cheerleaders.As for cyberbullying? I do't really buy into that term. I think Cyber harrasment would be a more appropriate term imo.

Then you get all into the semantics of how you define harassment, vs. how do you define bullying, and where do you draw the line at appropriate vs. inappropriate? The recipients of this kind of attack feel bullied. It's as good a term as any, I think.

Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:02:38 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:

Then you get all into the semantics of how you define harassment, vs. how do you define bullying, and where do you draw the line at appropriate vs. inappropriate? The recipients of this kind of attack feel bullied. It's as good a term as any, I think.
I just think of it as another form of harassment, but similar to telephone harassment. I associate the term 'bully' more with a physical/verbal intimidation element.
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 5:04:30 PM

CurlyGirly wrote:
Packer Cheerleader Fights Facebook Bullying article

On Monday, 02/04/13, the Chicago Bears Fan Page posted a picture of a young woman who was one of the Green Bay Packer Cheerleaders with the caption "Like if You Agree The Packers Have The Worst Cheerleaders In The NFL!" As of 3:00 PM today, the page had over 3,400 likes and some awful, horrible comments including:

"Doesn't get uglier. Truly an eyesore."
"that bitch look like a bag of potatoes lol"
"Too much cheese for her ass"

Thankfully, people have started rallying around this young woman, and she has now gotten many more positive comments than negative ones.

Facebook says that the post does not meet their terms of cyberbullying. The woman has also sent a message to FB and the Chicago Bears Fan page to have the picture of herself taken down, which has not been done. She has countered and created a video to fight what she says is cyberbullying, which you can see in the article linked below.

So, my question is, do you think this is a case of cyberbullying or agree with FB for allowing the picture/post to remain for so long?

Edit: Approximately 3:20 PM the post was removed along with the 1200+ comments and this post was made. Chicago Bears Fan Page Picture Removal post

Unfortunately cyber bullying exists in every corner of the internet these days.

However, that doesn't mean the cases shouldn't still be fought and that people shouldn't receive support. If you're in 'the public eye' then you do have to kind of accept that people are going to post shit about you. But that doesn't mean a stand shouldn't be raised.

I've seen Facebook take photos and comments down that were far less offensive than this so, yes, they should have taken it down when the first report came in.

If one person thinks twice about cyber bullying someone in the future because of people 'rallying around' this girl then that's an achievement. It's the little things in life.
Buz
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 5:47:39 PM

Cyber bullies are cowardly little chicken shits hiding anonymously behind their keyboard. They'd wimper and cry if physically confronted.

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:43:07 PM

Buz wrote:
Cyber bullies are cowardly little chicken shits hiding anonymously behind their keyboard. They'd wimper and cry if physically confronted.
Yep, that pretty much hits it right on the head.
Jinxy
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:30:41 PM

Buz wrote:

This is the best post of the day.

†Jinxy Approved†

silveranode
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:23:04 PM

Terminate the Twitter Trolls!
hayley
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:03:51 PM

Buz wrote:

I offered to meet one from Lush... yes, they r definitely here too... I went all the way to Lansing in Michigan to meet her.. but she didn't show up..
but she is back.. under her third name.. still spreading her poison..
hey happy8 .. it's a free world ...

meanwhile .. sport continues to progress and grow in leaps and bounds... wouldn't it be wonderful if sportsmanship went hand in hand with it icon_smile
BigPuss
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:10:41 PM

Buz wrote:

And I would dearly love to come face to face with them.naka beat_deadhorse
BigPuss
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:13:10 PM

hayley wrote:

I offered to meet one from Lush... yes, they r definitely here too... I went all the way to Lansing in Michigan to meet her.. but she didn't show up..
but she is back.. under her third name.. still spreading her poison..
hey happy8 .. it's a free world ...

meanwhile .. sport continues to progress and grow in leaps and bounds... wouldn't it be wonderful if sportsmanship went hand in hand with it icon_smile

Proves the point of the comment. You must have been furious - empathise. I hate bullies in any form.