Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Pregnant teen wins abortion lawsuit Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:16:28 PM

Yahoo Link

A pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.
The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

"We are extremely happy with the judge's decision today and we are very proud of our teenage client for being strong enough to stand against her parents to save her unborn child's life," Greg Terra, president of the Texas Center for Defense of Life, said in a blog post on the group's website.

Attorneys filed a lawsuit on the teen's behalf earlier this month arguing that her parents "are violating her federal constitutional rights to carry her child to term by coercing her to have an abortion with both verbal and physical threats and harassment."

The teen, identified in the lawsuit only as R.E.K. since she is a minor, was "beside herself" when she called the center for help, her lawyer Stephen Casey told ABCNews.com last week. The group claims it has previously represented teens in similar situations and won their cases.

"These girls are in a bind, particularly in a situation where their parents are forcing them to do something they don't want to do," Casey said. "Regardless of the [situation], that's her parents and she should expect support from them in this situation, not resentment and anger."

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

The teen claimed in the lawsuit that her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

===================

What shitty parents!! Trying to force their daughter into having an abortion, against her wishes. WTF!?

But should the court system be allowed to mandate they pay for the hospital bill? Can the court tell the parents what they can and can't do with their property, i.e. the girl's car and their money? And what liability and financial burden do the father of the child and his parents have? This shit is fucked up.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
clum
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:26:00 PM

I agree, LM. The parents did wrong by her but I don't believe a court has any right to make that kind of ruling. Her parents should not be obligated to be financially responsible in any way for their daughter's child, especially if they're against her having it.

I also think, although this is a separate issue really and people may get pissy with me about it, that fathers should have greater say in whether or not a child is aborted. That isn't to say that I agree with how the young man in question here reacted, just more of a general point. I'm all about fathers' rights.

In Scotland, you're legally an adult at 16. I can't imagine anything like this happening here—if the parents were unhappy, they'd probably just chuck her out.

The lion is most lionlike when he roars.
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:27:55 PM

Way to go, R.E.K.! Justice prevails here. What vile parents indeed.
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:09:52 PM

ok, first off, let me make this VERY clear. i am 100% in support of REK's rights to have her baby. coercing her in anyway to get an abortion is as wrong as coercing her NOT to get an abortion. Also, regardless of the situation, i should hope her parents are there for her - she's 16, she'll need some help. hopefully the father is there for her as well. i would hope that the father is forced to pay for the other 50% of her med bills, btw. seems only fair. Also, i believe it is illegal to not allow your child to attend school? if not, it should be.

that being said, welcome to reality. if she bought the car, then they have no right to take it away from her. same goes for the phone. if she didn't, well, yeah, as parent's, it might suck, but they have that right if it belongs to them. their home, their rules. no, i am not happy saying that, i had my own family issues growing up, and my instinct is to side with her 100%. at one point in my life, however, i reconciled and i got the opportunity to see things thru my dad's eyes. we became friends for the first time in my life, and i am thankful for being able to end 'the war'. that gives me a unique perspective, i think...

also, i knew plenty of kids her age who had to work two jobs and drop out of school, who had to take the bus everywhere they went, who had hard lives, who didn't have parent's to catch them when they fell. it's a harsh lesson to learn, but it's life. i hope the parent's stop being douchebags and remember that this is their DAUGHTER, and that it will be their GRANDCHILD she is giving birth to. they might be angry with her, and hell, we really don't know their situation, if they don't have insurance, the medical bills could very well break them, but it is STILL their daughter. i hope they remember that before they lose her. i hope they love her enough to do what's right, regardless of what they think is right or best for her. i guarantee that if they would have forced her to abort, they'd have lost her forever. stuff like this, you don't get second chances.
latinfoxy
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:55:46 PM

I have mixed feelings on this one. Yes im glad she won and she can have her kid, after all it should be her decision not her parents BUT i dont agree on making the parents pay for anything.

My mom always told me "if you are old enough to have sex, then you are the only responsible for the cosecuences, so ill be a happy grandmother but thats it!" And its true she got herself preagnant, so she and the baby's daddy should be the only ones responsable for paying everything. If the parents want to cheap in, great! But if they dont that should be their right as well!!

They already pay for the medical bills when their daughter was born, why should t she do the same?
Monocle
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:29:32 PM

This would sit a lot better for me if I believed for one second that those lawyers would have come to the help of a teen who wanted to abort whose parents were trying to coerce her not to. As it is, it reeks of opportunism. The girl should be able to choose - and live with the responsibility of that choice - either way.
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:38:21 PM

As a father I am shame of this man. Whatever he fills her daughter did as far as a mistake is besides the point now. She needs her Father right now more than anything and he should be her rock and forcing the Dad of the child to step up, not trick his daughter. You ladies of the world are my heroes, please keep raising and taking care of us foolish men.
Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:55:24 PM

They should pay for court costs for losing that's it and if they bought the car it's theirs to take away at will, if she somehow bought it herself or has her name on the deed then they can't, but hospital bills make no sense. "were going to punish party a (the parents) for party b's risky behavior (daughter) it's rewarding bad choices." unless it's a bad parenting tax
Callisto
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:13:29 PM

latinfoxy wrote:
I have mixed feelings on this one. Yes im glad she won and she can have her kid, after all it should be her decision not her parents BUT i dont agree on making the parents pay for anything.

My mom always told me "if you are old enough to have sex, then you are the only responsible for the cosecuences, so ill be a happy grandmother but thats it!" And its true she got herself preagnant, so she and the baby's daddy should be the only ones responsable for paying everything. If the parents want to cheap in, great! But if they dont that should be their right as well!!

They already pay for the medical bills when their daughter was born, why should t she do the same?

I totally agree.. I'm happy that she can have her baby, its not right what her parents did or tried to do for that matter. But, why are they financially responsible (paying 50% of the medical bills) for this baby? That's unfair to the parents, in my opinion.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:59:54 PM

I agree with the court decision. A tough thing for a 16 year-old to have to decide to have the baby, but it's her decision.

I hope the baby's father will man up and take responsibility, pitch in by being willing help with financial support and be a real dad. It is his obligation.

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:43:28 PM

This is in the top ten reasons why I chose to never have kids to begin with.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:44:06 PM

This is in the top ten of the reasons why -- I chose to never have kids to begin with.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:55:57 PM

Buz wrote:
I agree with the court decision. A tough thing for a 16 year-old to have to decide to have the baby, but it's her decision.

I hope the baby's father will man up and take responsibility, pitch in by being willing help with financial support and be a real dad. It is his obligation.

I also agree with the court decision. The decision to have a baby or have an abortion should belong to the person having it, not her parents or the government. This is consistent with Roe vs. Wade.
Jinxy
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:19:51 PM

I'm for her having her baby, I don't believe she be forced to have an abortion.

I don't think the parents should have to pay her medical bills though. Though she's underage and probably on their insurance anyway, so it'd fall on them. (I think?)

If she bought her car and phone, it's hers, not her parents. If they bought it, I'm with the others, they can take them away.

If the baby's father doesn't want to be apart of the child's life, he has no right to say he wants it aborted, he can sign over his rights.
The girl is choosing to have this baby all on her own. She should pay, seems no one else wants it.

Subjects like this remind me how much the human race is going to shit.

†Jinxy Approved†