Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Faux Noise viewers less informed than those who don't watch any news Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:10:19 AM

What a surprise.

Two years ago the University of Maryland created a bit of a controversy by releasing a study that showed Fox News viewers were the least informed of all the major news source audiences.

Now a new study from Fairleigh Dickinson University is seemingly backing up those findings.

What you know depends upon what you watch: Current Events knowledge across popular news sources

Probably explains why I can almost feel my IQ slushing away by the minute as I watch any Fox opinion program posing as a news show.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:20:55 AM

That was a very interesting read WMM.

There are some very interesting points raised here. I wonder how the respondents to the survey who were not exposed to a particular news forum gained their knowledge?...I guess through osmosis, picking things up over time, conversations perhaps?

Thanks for the link.
ByronLord
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:06:20 AM

orangefox444 wrote:
That was a very interesting read WMM.

There are some very interesting points raised here. I wonder how the respondents to the survey who were not exposed to a particular news forum gained their knowledge?...I guess through osmosis, picking things up over time, conversations perhaps?

Thanks for the link.

The main reason Fox News viewers do so poorly on fact tests is that Fox actually gives them deliberate misinformation.

For example, every time a Republican politician is exposed in a sex or money scandal, Fox wil put up a chiron identifying them as a Democrat. It hasn't just happened once or twice, it happens practically every time. That isn't an accident, it is deliberate.

Fox just spent two weeks accusing a Democrat senator of having had parties with prostitutes in the Dominican republic. Turns out that it was a set up, the women now admit to having been paid to make the claim. Fox didn't mention the rebuttal, they just quietly dropped the story.

The main reason that the GOP has gone insane is that they are getting their news from Fox. Most of them fervently believed that they were winning the 2012 election because that is what Fox was telling them.

As for where people get their news, the most trusted name in US news right now is Jon Stewart who runs a fake news show. Thats a pretty sad endorsement of the establishment news.

I get news from the blogs and from the foreign press. Thats mostly the BBC and the other UK press. Huff Post, TPM and Americablog for US politics. Right now the only useful source for ME news is Al Jazzera as most of the Israeli press I used to read is behind paywalls.

Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:52:09 AM

ByronLord wrote:

The main reason Fox News viewers do so poorly on fact tests is that Fox actually gives them deliberate misinformation.

For example, every time a Republican politician is exposed in a sex or money scandal, Fox wil put up a chiron identifying them as a Democrat. It hasn't just happened once or twice, it happens practically every time. That isn't an accident, it is deliberate.

Fox just spent two weeks accusing a Democrat senator of having had parties with prostitutes in the Dominican republic. Turns out that it was a set up, the women now admit to having been paid to make the claim. Fox didn't mention the rebuttal, they just quietly dropped the story.

The main reason that the GOP has gone insane is that they are getting their news from Fox. Most of them fervently believed that they were winning the 2012 election because that is what Fox was telling them.

As for where people get their news, the most trusted name in US news right now is Jon Stewart who runs a fake news show. Thats a pretty sad endorsement of the establishment news.

I get news from the blogs and from the foreign press. Thats mostly the BBC and the other UK press. Huff Post, TPM and Americablog for US politics. Right now the only useful source for ME news is Al Jazzera as most of the Israeli press I used to read is behind paywalls.

I have to say I have of course heard the jokes, especially in episodes of the simpsons, but to see it for myself, as you have pointed out here byronlord is really eyeopening...all of the Faux news comments will have more resonance now.

PS

To improve my knowledge and vocabulary, what is a Chiron? is it a banner or ticker tape statement? label?

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:02:34 AM

WellMadeMale wrote:
What a surprise.

Two years ago the University of Maryland created a bit of a controversy by releasing a study that showed Fox News viewers were the least informed of all the major news source audiences.

Now a new study from Fairleigh Dickinson University is seemingly backing up those findings.

What you know depends upon what you watch: Current Events knowledge across popular news sources

Probably explains why I can almost feel my IQ slushing away by the minute as I watch any Fox opinion program posing as a news show.

That article was obviously written by the foreigner Barrack Hussein Obama you leftist nancy.

Tranquil
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:43:44 PM

orangefox444 wrote:

I have to say I have of course heard the jokes, especially in episodes of the simpsons, but to see it for myself, as you have pointed out here byronlord is really eyeopening...all of the Faux news comments will have more resonance now.

PS

To improve my knowledge and vocabulary, what is a Chiron? is it a banner or ticker tape statement? label?

I always thought the Chiron was from Greek mythology..he was a Titan's son if i remember right.

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

Sex is an emotion in motion (Mae West).
An Ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises (Mae West)
I wrote the story myself. It's about a girl who lost her reputation and never missed it. (Mae West)
ByronLord
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:01:24 PM

Tranquil wrote:

I always thought the Chiron was from Greek mythology..he was a Titan's son if i remember right.

I mis-spelt it, the correct spelling is chyron but its from the Greek myth. Chiron was the son of Cronus and leader of the centaurs who Prometheus sacrificed to gain the use of fire.

Chyron is the company that invented the machinery that puts message banners on TV programs, especially those banners and crawls that they like to use on TV news. Lacking any other good name the term 'chyron' has become a generic for the banners in a news room.

Presumably the name has something to do with the news galloping along the bottom of the screen or something.

Some samples of the Fox genre.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/07/fox-news-chyron-falsely-declares-same-sex-marri/191228
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2011/01/27/fox-amp-friends-chyron-what-global-warming/175630
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2009/11/16/fox-chyron-asks-if-illinois-jail-will-become-a/157048
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2009/08/17/fox-news-rep-joke-sestak-d-pa/184193

Fox really is a hardcore propaganda operation that intentionally and deliberately feeds its audience knowing untruths. It is not just 'right wing'. Outside state media in places like Syria and North Korea there really isn't anything else like it.

ByronLord
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:02:38 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

That article was obviously written by the foreigner Barrack Hussein Obama you leftist nancy.

Oh thats not the Fox News approach at all.

Some say that the article might have been written by...

Highwayman
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:57:01 PM

Although previously influenced by Christian Science Monitor (college days, was about to change party affiliation), Rolling Stone (a basic middle finger to the conservative class... at the time), and other footnote publications during my studies and needed resource material during college, the one item that never changes for me through life, is music.

So here we are. Dick head Fox News bobble head and Mr. Mattola. Now, you may hear in this piece and read variations of his import, but in the end, no one ever heard of this jackass until Mariah Carey. And yes, she has a beautiful voice, or had I should say, until her springs got wound too tight. And probably by Mr. greasy fuck himself, by the way. Notice how they move over that whole thing and move to Michael Jackson and then reintroduce the subject later.

Then we get the run through of all the rock legends we know died tragically. Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison. Yes, you insipid piece of shit, it was the aftermath of the "Summer of Love", drugs were rampant and used excessively.

"These people are crazy, they're all nuts." -- Bobblehead boy, aka FOX NEWS. says.

"They never seem to learn," then reiterates O'really, and we sit back and say, wait! So THEY never seem to learn, but you're learned?

As Mr. Mattola talks about coming to Sony and signing Mariah, whom he then later married. Mr. old gross dude who takes advantage of young hot beauty with a great voice, and he is supposed to get credit for her talent, and then be able to talk about Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison and rock-n-roll? Sorry, but you're a putz who just took advantage of a naive young girl and "just hit it right", and is currently spinning your story for your little book.

Then, as a capper, "to me the best rock person ever...Elvis," says O'fuckme. I mean really? All the shit you just spun about rock and its being a sick depraved, misguided lot who backs Obama, and Elvis is the best ever? Lets see, Elvis gets a badge from President fucking Nixon as part of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, and this is the "best rock person ever?" By the way, Elvis later dies on the crapper after taking to many barbiturates. Same shit as Jackson, who was earlier referenced.

I don't even want to address the little quip on the Beatles. It's like my short lived Political Science Professor who glanced over the Bay of Pigs Invasion and Castro like fart in the wind. I told her to go fuck herself and she gave me an "F."

What's this shit got to do with anything dude?

Well, here is FOX. Taking things apart piece by piece, and spoon feeding it to the masses as they believe fit. And then, the masses should eat it up because it's done politely, and arguably misinformed. Plausible deniability runs amok these days, and FOX news sells that shit with style.

‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde