Do you read your own work to get off?

last reply
36 replies
6.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
For me personally I don't. it might be because I never think my own work is good enough but it just doesn't turn me on the way the work of others does or it might be the fact all I can think of is what i should have done, which kills the mood.

So what about you my fellow Lush Authors?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To be honest, I write the scenarios that get me off. But, as far as I'm concerned, it's all in my head, combined with all the situations I haven't written. So, no I don't read my stories to get off. But, I will sometimes picture the scenario in my mind, with embellishments that I haven't written in yet.
0 likes
I find that by the time I've come up with the scenario (which is where I'm most likely to get off on it), built it into a story, written it, and read and edited it a dozen times or more, it ceases to get me going. It either becomes too familiar or I'm still in editing mode and focus more on the text than on the arousing bits. That said, I have gone back to a story after ignoring it for a while and it may get me off again at that point.
Clumeleon
0 likes
My stories often arouse me while I'm writing them because the ideas are fresh a swirling around my head.

However, when they're finished and I read them back, I tend to be casting a much more critical eye over the work and they do very little for me any more.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Absolutely.

If my stuff doesn't get a reaction outa me, then, chances are it won't end up on here.

And if the idea didn't give me the horn, then I wouldn't have bothered getting it down.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
And furthermore no one reads my fuckin stories, so someone should get off on them!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My stories tend to be as a result of my arousal, and so I let my imagination run wild with my keyboard. Most of the theme involves encounters while travelling, something I find erotic - but I write in that genre because I find it hard to find stories that capture my imagination in that way. But after I am done with my own work, I generally only reread it to get an idea of where I could have/should have improved it - and then take that internal criticism and make my next one better.
"If you knew what you were doing you would probably be bored."
CurlyFries
0 likes
Quote by Morgan
And furthermore no one reads my fuckin stories, so someone should get off on them!

Playing a bit of Devil's advocate here. I see that you've been a member for almost 2 years and have neither an electorate nor commentator badge, which means you've read/commented/scored very few stories in that time. SO, why should anyone bother to read your stuff? If you're not willing to support the other authors of Lush, why would they bother to support you? It always amazes me when writers here complain that no one reads their stuff, but they're not willing to read/comment. I just don't get the authors who say things like "I'm not much of a reader." Whatever! I'm not saying you have to read the 10,000 word Moby has a Big Dick stories. There are thousands of poems and short stories here that you can read and support other authors. Sometimes you gotta give a little to get a little.

To the OP: The original idea floating in my head turns me on and writing the first draft, but after that not so much. I think because I go through it so many different ways/times to edit it. Usually, by the time I hit submit to publish, I don't want to read it ever again.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I guess I'll have to try harder in future.
Lurker
0 likes
Never, but writing it gets me aroused.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
No i only proof read it after writing it! Always prefer to read others stories!..
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Nope.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
For me personally I don't. it might be because I never think my own work is good enough but it just doesn't turn me on the way the work of others does or it might be the fact all I can think of is what i should have done, which kills the mood.

So what about you my fellow Lush Authors?

Yes- I do . . . I write because I can't always find what I WANT to read.

Time has to go by before I can read and enjoy it that way - but it eventually gets there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In the beginning it was a huge thrill as I was new to erotic story writing. When I go
back, I find there are still certain stories and particular scenes that stimulate my erogenous
zones. After proofing, editing, etc, I trusted that my first instincts were correct.

*The Dark Room*

How do you talk to an Angel available from Amazon.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm a newbie and I've just published my first story. It is true based. Writing it turned me on, editing turned me on even more. The folks at LUSH rejected it the first time out of the shoot, which was good. I want to be a good writer, not just a writer. LUSH standards ROCK and their admin were helpful. The re-reading of it was like do-overs... again and again. Erotic yes indeed. I have many stories to tell and they were all very fun or I won't bother telling them. So yes, I'll be reading my own work to get off. Who doesn't get off on memories. ;)

So much fun, so little time...
A horny couple, a few spices, a LOT of FUN

Hope you will check out my first story - Kitty Kapers - A Well Seasoned Woman

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/kitty-kapers-a-well-seasoned-woman.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
It gets me worked up as I'm writing them, but after I've re-read and checked it over and over it doesn't really get me going again.
Lurker
0 likes
not really. i know my stories quite well without having to read them.
0 likes
I admit reading them back gives me something of a tremor in the force. I think if they didn't I would be concerned that they didn't for anyone else. Kind of defeats the point really.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've only authored one story. While I was putting the proverbial pen to paper I do admit to being aroused. After that though I have read my story again and while it does make me smile I tend to look at it with a critical eye and think oh how I wish I had interjected this phrase or that etc. Alas I've treated it as a finished work and just hope that others enjoy it.
Chivalry is the only "wingman" you need.

Please read and comment on my story http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/a-night-to-remember.aspx
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
I usually find there are plenty of other stories here to get me going - it is always more fun to enter someone else's filthy imagination!

That said, I did re-read a couple of mine not so long ago, and they got me wet all over again, so I did have a nice little play smile

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Buxom Enigma
0 likes
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who's panties get a little damp when writing my own stories. And it is, as another said, because the thoughts are fresh and just swirling around in there, that one can't help but become aroused.

After the first rad-through, it turns to a tingle, then to nothing as I, as many others, become more critical and my mind turns more editorial. Still good stories, they just don't turn my buttons anymore.
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Of course. If it's not making my pussy wet, then I know I'm not doing it right.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If your erotica writing isn't getting you off, how do you expect it to have the effect on anyone else? I get uber horny over what I've written, which is why I've never finished anything in totality.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I get highly aroused by my smut stories when I'm writing them. If I didn't I'd be seriously worried.

Getting off on finished stories is another thing entirely, though. I mean, I've written a few things that still turn me on like crazy (none of which I can ever publish here because they're all against the guidelines, lol), but for the most part once I've started editing them it's, well, done. I'm "outside" of the story, and I have to be "inside" in order to get turned on at all. When I read smut I generally picture every detail in my head and try to insert myself into the scenario, which is what gets me aroused in the first place. Once I've started editing I put all my focus onto the more technical stuff like grammar, punctuation, flow, realism, etc. Once I get to that point it's hard to go back.

I'd read, for example, "The woman wrapped her legs around the man's waist and ground her sex against his erection," and rather than focus on how the scene makes me feel I start worrying about whether or not it reads well, or if it makes sense, or if I can reword it in some way to make it flow better, or if I should add a comma somewhere, or if it's even necessary to the story at all... you get the the idea.

I become too critical. And even if I return to the story months later I'm more likely to go through it with a mental red pen than anything else. sad

Like I mentioned, I've written a few stories that still get me going, but they tend to be raw and, well, pretty depraved. Definitely nothing I can publish to Lush.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't read my work to get off. Generally, once a story is finished I'm on to the next one in my mind. The stories I write that are in the "Raquelverse" are based on people I know and I get a little hot while writing them. Other stuff, that I'm not so much into, I fret about its realism. Example: I just wrote my first gay story. By the end, I was tearing it apart in my head thinking a gay dude would read it and think "a straight guy wrote this, that's not how it goes." I want to write a story in every category and many of those will be stress filled rides that challenge me. Sometimes that's just as good as getting hot and bothered.
Lurker
0 likes
I wouldn't say that I primarily turn to my work to get off, mostly because I have spent so much time with it already and I want something new, however, during the writing and editing processes I definitely get off! And like @SophieCroft said, if I am not turned on while writing and editing and so on, I'm doing something wrong!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Only during the process of creating and writing.

I almost never go back and re-read a story I've written once it's published. It's not so much that I don't think it's hot anymore but by the time I actually finish writing a story and it gets put through the tedious editing and redrafts and rewrites, it tends to dull the effects of the initial fantasy that inspired it. If I reread it, I'm likely to still be looking at it with a critical eye rather than just enjoying the ride and indulging the fantasy as a turn-on.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Only during the process of creating and writing.

I almost never go back and re-read a story I've written once it's published. It's not so much that I don't think it's hot anymore but by the time I actually finish writing a story and it gets put through the tedious editing and redrafts and rewrites, it tends to dull the effects of the initial fantasy that inspired it. If I reread it, I'm likely to still be looking at it with a critical eye rather than just enjoying the ride and indulging the fantasy as a turn-on.

you should re-read Hard Candy, Doll... seriously. still can't get through more than half the story at a time without...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.