Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Book recommendations Options · View
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 8:32:19 AM

Has anyone read 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' I saw the movie trailer and I was wondering if the book was any good?
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:22:06 PM

I tried reading that book last Fall, but it didn't hold my interest. However, I just saw the movie, which was halfway decent. Be ready for a graphic rape and other gore, though.
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 1:26:40 PM

roccotool wrote:
I tried reading that book last Fall, but it didn't hold my interest. However, I just saw the movie, which was halfway decent. Be ready for a graphic rape and other gore, though.

I can handle that in book form...thanks Rocco
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:05:32 AM

the twilight saga (in this order its the law!) Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn
Algol
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:29:32 PM

FLYBOYS by James Bradley non-fiction about American pilots (some captured) in WWII south pacific very graphic... I thought it was written very well kept my interest.

Algol

RumpleForeskin
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 6:09:06 PM

INHERENT VICE by Thomas Pynchon:

Take as plot the trials and tribulations of a cynical private investigator on the mean streets of a big city, but instead of Phillip Marlow or Sam Spade, make him a dope-smoking, acid dropping hippie, more or less working in LA in 1970, then toss in some sinister, powerful, quirky and/or sexy minor characters along with Pynchon's unique sense of humor and you've got a bestseller. Recommended.

Rumple Foreskin rr

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Feels So Right, It Can't Be WrongMore steamy, seductive, straight step-sibling sex, 2-3

Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
a Festive contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding
Algol
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 8:21:18 PM

Pompeii: A Novel by Robert Harris Historical novel, great story...

Algol

RumpleForeskin
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 7:05:10 PM

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Gifted young writer's first and only novel. Won a Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

Rumple Foreskin rr

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Feels So Right, It Can't Be WrongMore steamy, seductive, straight step-sibling sex, 2-3

Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
a Festive contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:40:50 PM

I'm reading a book from the library and something tells me that it will take me some time to get through it.

The seven basic plots. Why we tell stories. By Christopher Booker.

I'm only up to page 57 and the last page number is 702.

So far my target is to read a chapter every night in bed.
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:42:20 PM

Kyle wrote:
Atonement by Ian McEwan

If you like involved stories with emotional content this one is for you.

Bought the book years ago, but just couldn't get into it.
BBB856
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:34:51 PM

The Rats -- James Herbert

Dune -- Frank Herbert
BrindleChase
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:42:29 PM

I haven't finished the whole series yet, but the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R Ward is awesome if you like Paranormal Urban Fantasy with erotic tones.

paranormal • erotic • romance
www.forlorn-hope.net
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:59:45 PM

I actually don't read much fiction...But I do read quite a lot of non fiction. I'm not sure if anyone else on here likes non fiction, but if you do, I really, really recommend Long Way Gone. Its the autobiographical story of a young boy forced to become a child soldier during the civil war in Sierra Leone. Definately not for the faint of heart though. I would suggest reading it before Hollywood turns it into a cheesy popcorn flick.

Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:31:29 AM

Unseen Academicals - Terry Prachett- which pokes fun at football and everything else but mostly football which made me giggle because of the world cup mani that has swept the nation...it made me laugh and think a lot
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:20:59 PM

Black Ships by Jo Graham.

A fictional work based on the sojourns of the Trojans after the Fall of Troy. I'm not normally into period books, but I received it as a gift and wanted to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. For one thing, the main character of the novel really intrigued me. She's a semi-crippled slave girl, taken to be a disciple of the Lady of the Dead. She has episodes where the Lady talks to her, giving her advice and counsel. The novel follows the ex-patriot Trojans as they travel around the Mediterranean Sea looking for somewhere to make a new home.

If you like personal stories, and getting into the heads of the characters you're reading about, this book is for you. From the language Ms. Graham uses in the book, I feel it may be meant for a somewhat juvenile audience, but I honestly didn't mind a bit.

Black Ships dot net.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 10:08:39 AM

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro

I picked this up from a store recommendation, and I was kind of blown away. It's not quite suspense, and not really science fiction, but it has both of those things- mostly it's gut-wrenching and amazing. To tell more would be to give too much away.
Regello77
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:51:34 AM

Two books that I have enjoyed are " Champions of Love " and Champions of Pleasure " by Anonymous . They are exciting and erotic stories set in Japan , perhaps translations from Japanese , but beautifully written . " War in Val D'Orcia " by Iris Origo , set in Tuscany , Italy during WWII , a remarkable beautiful and moving story , originally written in diary form .
myself
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:46:51 AM

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
myself
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:57:56 AM

Sami wrote:
A few weeks ago I read "Memoirs of a Geisha" and found it compulsive. Not until the end did I discover it was a novel. Beautifully written and very descriptive of pre WWII Japan.

Now re-reading for the third time, SHOGUN by James Clavell. Wonderful stuff.

great book

jackoffjecht wrote:
Anyone know of a good book that i can read?

I just finished a series by Jeanne DuPrau
First book was city of embers, the second was the people of sparks.

Now i need a good book/series of books to read. Any ideas?

The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien and Clan of the Cave Bear, by Jean M. Auel and The Teachings of Don Juan, by Carlos Castaneda -all are series and great! : )

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:13:23 AM

I've been really into detective novels recently(which shouldn't suprise some people) and I just downloaded two of Douglas Lindsay's books in the The Barney Thompson Crime Series -
'The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson' and 'The Barber Surgeon's Hairshirt'. It's about a barber who inadvertantly becomes a serial killer. I've read the first one and it's brilliant. I'm on the second one now.
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:22:43 AM

I've only found a few erotic novels that I've enjoyed in recent years. I just finished reading Babysitting the Baumgartners by Selena Kitt and enjoyed it.

Back in the seventies I read a series that I really liked by an anonymous author that I'd love to read again but I can't find any (reasonably priced) copies of the books anywhere.
- Her
- Him
- Me
- Them

As for non-erotic stories:

- The Cool and Lam Series by A. A. Fair (Erle Stanley Gardner)
- Robert B. Parker
- John Sandford
- Stuart Woods
- Ken Follett
- Preston and Child
- Raymond Chandler
- Louis L'Amour
- Lawrence Block
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:27:18 AM

Completely obsessed with the Hunger Games series by Suzzanne Collins right now - it's classified as YA, but wow, it's so much more then that - don't let comparisons with Twilight fool you - these are amazing books - heart wrenching, brutal, and full of amazingly complex characterizations. just started book 3... will be sad when it comes to an end.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
KillianRussell
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:08:43 PM

Ann Patchett's "Bel Canto "
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 8:45:48 AM

If you like romance try Julia Quinn "The Bridgertons" series is amazing.
Am reading "Room" by Emma Donoghue , This is one of those books that sucks you into its world and makes you reconsider your own.
CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:38:45 PM

I'm not of the BSDM persuasion (at least not much) but anyone will enjoy the Kushiel's Dart series (Jacqueline Carey). Excellent detailed world-building and great characterization.

CR

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

stephanie
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 7:01:56 AM

Just finished "The Crimson Petal And The White" by Michael Faber.

It's about a Victorian prostitute in late 19th century London and it's really, really good! Brilliantly written with an unusual but very involving narrative structure

xx SF

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
INNOCENTMISERY
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:35:27 PM

I'm about 100 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. It's the second book in his Millenium Series

"Nos laetus epulor qui would domito nos. (We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.)"
"Nil satis nisi optimum. (Nothing but the best will do.)"
"I hate it when things don't go my way. It makes me so...horny." - Sarah Michelle Gellar (Kathryn, Cruel Intentions)
"Sex is just alone time with someone else there." - Taint on The Lex And Terry Show, 11/11/09
"Stupidity isn't a crime, so you're free to go."
"I am The Devil, too. There can only be one devil. One of us must go." - Ozzy Osbourne at the end of his cover of "Sympathy For The Devil"
"Your ego is not your amigo." - Nikki Sixx, The Heroin Diaries
"It's my world. I'm just letting you live here." - Mandy, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Jonesy
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:04:03 PM

I've just finished The Crimson Petal and The White by Michael Faber which is awesome and I love Victorian England books, One Day by David Nicholls which just broke my heart to pieces and had me in tears and currently reading Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey

"I think it's important to listen to the people that know us best, if you do, you might get to rock" (JD from Scrubs)
"I'm not mad. I'm just...well, differently moralled, that's all." Thursday Next in Jasper Fforde's novels ♥
"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do"
“Dear News 24, go to bed!
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:31:37 PM

Which one of you Lush contributing poets is really - Adam Mansbach ?

Go The Fuck To Sleep

A bedtime book for parents who live in the real world, where a few snoozing kitties and cutesy rhymes don't
always send a toddler sailing off to dreamland. Honest, profane, and affectionate, Adam Mansbach's verses and
Ricardo Cortés' illustrations perfectly capture the familiar--and unspoken--tribulations of putting your little angel
down for the night, and open up a conversation about parenting in the process. Beautiful, subversive, and
pants-wettingly funny, Go the Fuck to Sleep is a perfect gift for parents new, old, or expectant.
Here is a sample verse:

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.

Mark Frauenfelder in reply to phomancho:
The book is not for kids, nor is it subversive. It's for exhausted parents.

TheMadLibrarian:
I approve of this book; it probably appeals to many parents at their wits' end when their toddler is
admantly awake at 10:00 p.m. That doesn't mean you should read it to your toddler.

MollyMaguire:
To be followed by 'Eat Your Fucking Dinner', 'What the Fuck Are You Whining About?', and 'Stop Fucking With That'.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 10:46:04 AM

WellMadeMale wrote:
Which one of you Lush contributing poets is really - Adam Mansbach ?

Go The Fuck To Sleep

A bedtime book for parents who live in the real world, where a few snoozing kitties and cutesy rhymes don't
always send a toddler sailing off to dreamland. Honest, profane, and affectionate, Adam Mansbach's verses and
Ricardo Cortés' illustrations perfectly capture the familiar--and unspoken--tribulations of putting your little angel
down for the night, and open up a conversation about parenting in the process. Beautiful, subversive, and
pants-wettingly funny, Go the Fuck to Sleep is a perfect gift for parents new, old, or expectant.
Here is a sample verse:

The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the fuck to sleep.

Mark Frauenfelder in reply to phomancho:
The book is not for kids, nor is it subversive. It's for exhausted parents.

TheMadLibrarian:
I approve of this book; it probably appeals to many parents at their wits' end when their toddler is
admantly awake at 10:00 p.m. That doesn't mean you should read it to your toddler.

MollyMaguire:
To be followed by 'Eat Your Fucking Dinner', 'What the Fuck Are You Whining About?', and 'Stop Fucking With That'.

saw this on FB....funny as shit!