Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Is it heckling, or is it something else? Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:46:54 PM

These fund raisers, where people and special interest lobbyists pay $500 or more a person to attend...and then a candidate or some other NAME speaks prepared remarks and won't take questions, won't stand for discussion or opposing or different points of view to be aired.

Is it heckling from someone in the audience to The Speaker...or is it The Speaker and the event coordinators censoring free speech?

I'm tired of these fuckers roping people off (protestors) miles away from speaking platforms or convention centers...handpicking supporters and bribing lobbyists and only dog whistling to the sacred supporters.

I didn't care for it when Reagan did it...or Bush or Clinton or Bush or now Obama.

Is it heckling harassment or is it something else?

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
matt55
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:53:18 AM

I agree in theory with that. Each side is afraid to open discussions. That being said, there are two kinds of events. If it is just a speech than the "heckling" is just disruptive. Give the speech and get out. If everyone knows going in it is just a speech than I say be respectful and listen or don't listen, its up to you. If it is a town hall type event then let everybody have their say and don't dodge the questions. Man up (or woman up) and answer the comments/questions honestly and let everybody know where you stand.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 8:03:14 AM

matt55 wrote:
I agree in theory with that. Each side is afraid to open discussions. That being said, there are two kinds of events. If it is just a speech than the "heckling" is just disruptive. Give the speech and get out. If everyone knows going in it is just a speech than I say be respectful and listen or don't listen, its up to you. If it is a town hall type event then let everybody have their say and don't dodge the questions. Man up (or woman up) and answer the comments/questions honestly and let everybody know where you stand.

Yeah, what he said.

I think it was highly disrespectful to Mrs. Obama and I think Michelle handled it quite well. First of all, she isn't an elected official so she has no legislative, administrative, or judicial power.... unless she can convince her hubby during a blowjob.. we all are quite agreeable during those. Secondly, shouting and heckling someone has NEVER worked at changing their position on an issue.. that I know of. Thirdly, attacking one of your allies doesn't help your cause and makes you look more like a zealot thus weakening your cause because of your own fanatical behavior.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Warlock
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 9:49:57 AM

There is no perfect answer for anything we do anymore.. rope them off.. let them protest.. it doesn't change a thing either way.. our rights are being violated every day.. think Homeland Security..
asleep
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:05:22 AM

IMHO it is lack...TOTAL LACK...of common courtesy!

I was speaking one evening to an ~20 folks in a 'local' civic organization meeting. I was acting as a field rep. from the state office and had driven 150 miles to attend meeting and speak...all volunteer on my part. OBVIOUSLY I had several points I wanted to cover in my remarks, but I was RUDELY told by someone that 'they' didn't WANT to hear...or care about...what I was talking about, but wanted to hear about ???? subject. That subject was going to be included in my remarks. I tried to explain that, but this ()&*^&* was TOO rude to shut up and let me explain. I then answered...very curtly...his questions and sat down. After meeting was over several people came up to me an apologized for Jerry's behavior. I did NOT stay long for refreshments. It was well OVER a year later before I went back to that group and I was assurred that Jerry would be nice.

I considered it "heckling", and it left a very sour feeling with me. I've often wondered how it was that I did NOT immediately put away my notes and LEAVE in the middle of my remarks.

Rick

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:33:36 PM

Just my opinion, but "Free Speech" is badly and purposefully misinterpreted to cover a multitude of what are, in essence, hate crimes. Free speech was meant - like freedom of assembly - to ensure that people of like ideas could gather in a public venue and present those ideas through speech and debate (or in printed materials) amongst themselves legally. It does not mean you can protest, heckle, curse, instigate, or disturb the peace. It means if you oppose someone else's opinion or beliefs, you can gather at some other venue to present opposing opinions and beliefs. That's all. That is the strict and official purpose for these rights. And, I don't care how others may try to cover themselves in the Bill of Rights, The Constitution, or the flag of nationalism or patriotism, the debates of the Founding Fathers makes it clear what they intended and ratified.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 11:43:33 AM

yourmisterdark wrote:
Just my opinion, but "Free Speech" is badly and purposefully misinterpreted to cover a multitude of what are, in essence, hate crimes. Free speech was meant - like freedom of assembly - to ensure that people of like ideas could gather in a public venue and present those ideas through speech and debate (or in printed materials) amongst themselves legally. It does not mean you can protest, heckle, curse, instigate, or disturb the peace. It means if you oppose someone else's opinion or beliefs, you can gather at some other venue to present opposing opinions and beliefs. That's all. That is the strict and official purpose for these rights. And, I don't care how others may try to cover themselves in the Bill of Rights, The Constitution, or the flag of nationalism or patriotism, the debates of the Founding Fathers makes it clear what they intended and ratified.

No, that is not what that means. You flunk.

The fact that you further state that you don't care about the Bill of Rights and then attempt to lump those rights with mention of a flag or of patriotism then indicates to me that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, but that's not really your purpose here - your purpose is to dictate and suppress with your own ignorance.

You seem to be all about mixing a pile of shit together, flinging it against the nearest wall and hoping something sticks. George W. Bush was good at that and Obama is showing that he is adept as well.

Freedom of speech and of assembly mean that one or more people may gather in a public venue and present those verbal or non-verbal concepts and that others who oppose them may also gather near them and give voice to their opposition, dissension or refutation of the other views being presented.

The same should hold true in those venues where everyone pays their price to attend.

Hell, if you wanted to, you could protest an active and engaging war - in the actual war zone, or take photographs in said war zone to hopefully be able to publish and thus influence public opinion. It used to be... America would allow THAT to happen to.

The lesson of Vietnam being shown to the public and how that turned the tide of that illegal war has taught successive political regimes to NOT allow freedom of the press and of speech inside a war zone, ever again. Now they embed their hand chosen lackeys and make sure to keep them several miles away from any actions which will most likely paint their leadership as fucking war criminals.

That's been done actively since the criminal Panama invasion.

And you are okay with that kind of censorship.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Warlock
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 2:49:43 PM

I applaude your enthusiasm.. your energetic comments.. and your disgust and anger at what we have done to ourselves WMM.. but corporations.. attorneys.. and politicians bend and tweak basic rights as they see fit to best suit a larger picture that we the people are not privvy to.. we have long been a nation of prejudice and social, political, and religious bias and the only true rights you can expect are the ones you stand up for and enforce at the front door to your home..
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:33:19 AM

yourmisterdark wrote:
It does not mean you can protest, heckle, curse, instigate, or disturb the peace. .

I'm sorry...that's aggressively incorrect...

...unless you're a pro-security hawk with a buzz-cut, then it's kosher. Or, if you're a 40-year-old male in 1967 and often complain about 'dirty hippiefolk'.

Nobody said 1st Amendment rights were clean, polite, or non-controversial. Though our government is working diligently to re-write public opinion to believe otherwise. Mission accomplished, in your case.