Brown (131 votes) 49%
Gray (17 votes) 6%
Green (58 votes) 22%
Hazel (77 votes) 29%
Red (1 vote) 0%
Violet (1 vote) 0%
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes

One of the first things that we notice when we see a person are his/her eyes and in fact, eyes are amongst the primary features that attract us towards an individual. Even in case of eyes, the aspect that first comes into notice is the eye colour. Eye colour is basically a polygenic trait of an individual. It is determined by the amount and type of pigments present in the iris of the eyes.

Most Common Eye Colours

Brown
The eye colour that can be described as the most common amongst human beings is brown, with the exception of countries around the Baltic Sea. It is the result of the presence of large amounts of melanin (eumelanin) within the iris stroma. People who have very dark brown irises might give the appearance of having black eyes.

Hazel
Another common eye colour is hazel. Hazel eyes are the result of a combination of a Rayleigh scattering and a modest amount of melanin in the front border layer of the iris. Hazel eye colour has also been defined as the medium-colour between light brown and dark green. Hazel is common amongst people in America and Europe, while rare in African, Middle Eastern and Asian people.

Gray
Gray eye colour is considered to be a darker shade of blue (like blue-green). This eye colour is related to low melanin in the iris and is related to scant pigmentation throughout the body (like pale skin, light hair, etc). Gray eyes have been found to reveal small amounts of yellow and brown colour in the iris. European people, belonging to countries like Russia, Finland and the Baltic States, often have gray eyes, while those in Southeast Asia rarely have this eye colour. Gray eyes might seem to change between the shades of blue, green and gray, mainly because of the lighting changes.

Blue
Blue eyes are quite common amongst people, especially those born in Germany, Netherlands, Iceland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Estonia. The reason behind this eye colour is low amounts of melanin within the iris stroma. In Central Asia and Middle East, blue eyes are pretty rare. Since the production of melanin generally increases during the first few years of life, the blue eyes of some babies might darken as they get older.

Rarest Eye Colours

Amber
Amber eyes can be defined as the ones having a strong yellowish/golden and russet/coppery tint. The reason behind amber eyes is the deposition of ‘lipochrome’, the yellow pigment, in the iris. It is a very rare eye colour and also known as ‘wolf eyes’, since amber eye colour is very common in wolves.

Green
Green eye colour is amongst the rarest eye colour, with only 1-2% of the world's population born with green eyes. The reason for green eye colour is the production of moderate amounts of melanin. People born in Northern Europe and Nordic countries (like Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Germany, and Netherlands) usually have green eyes.

Violet
Violet eyes are mainly seen in albinos. In effect, the eyes of some albinos appear to be violet because of the mixing of red and blue reflections. Violet eyes are either a form of blue eyes or a mutation.

Red
Red is probably the rarest eye colour amongst the human population of the world. It is mainly seen in case of albinos and is the result of either large quantities of the ‘normally scarce’ red areas in the eyes or a small leakage of blood into the iris.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I'm a greenie. I didn't know it was considered rare. Looking at the ethnicity breakdown though, it's pretty much on the mark for me.

When I was a kid, I always wanted blue or violet eyes - although technically I don't think I've ever seen anyone with real violet eyes. But blue is my fave colour so it made sense at the time. As I got older I'm much happier to be green. There's so many 'blue-eyed blondes' out there as it is that it's nice to be a little different in that sense. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Dark blue. I rather like them, I've been told that they resemble a summers sky
Me thinks he was trying to get into my knickers!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
My eyes are green in winter, but in summer they are more of a blue. Always have people asking about them. Apparently they are very irresistible.
Hmm....... Was that the right thing to say?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
dark brown
Lurker
0 likes
I have brown eyes, and blonde hair. I'm told that's a fairly unusual combination.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mine are green......
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mine are hazel but with a spattering of orange.....they have been compared to a sunflower
Lurker
0 likes
Mine are hazel but they chanege colors all the time
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It depends on my contacys, somtimes i put different colours on..lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My eyes are a green and blue mixture
Head Nurse
0 likes
I have Central heterochromia. My eyes are Green and Gold/Amber.
Lurker
0 likes
Green
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
red

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Brown, although my maternal grandmother had gray eyes.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hazel
Well that's just my opinion, sorry if you don't like.

BigDaddyRich
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
my eye colour is hazel with gold flecks ... though I've been told when I am mad, they appear more green ... LOL

I found this cool (?) pic .... imagine how strange it would be to be talking with someone whose eyes look like this!! (Hello Kitty!! )

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm a Blue Eyed Brunette. I used to think that was rare but I have seen quite a few.

Although some mornings my eyes are very red, don't know why, LOL!
0 likes
My eyes are a darkish blue.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
blue-green...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse
I have Central heterochromia. My eyes are Green and Gold/Amber.

This. Though my eyes are more of a blue/green. Either color will become more prominent depending on the color of shirt I'm wearing. And I have a nice amber band around my pupils.
Lurker
0 likes
dark brown
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703
I'm a Blue Eyed Brunette. I used to think that was rare but I have seen quite a few.

Although some mornings my eyes are very red, don't know why, LOL!

My brother is too.