What's your kryptonite?

last reply
76 replies
8.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
When it comes to writing - what do you have the biggest problem with?

My issues: I always come up with a story - a full novella or novel length story - and then dedicate a lot of my time to it . . . and quit half way through. Things change in my life, I lose interest, I lose my focus, I just don't care anymore - or more likely: I think it sucks and convince myself others will never want to read it.

I am my own kryptonite as there's no basis in real life for my issues. Everyone who has read my partially-completed stories has loved it, no matter what I've done with it.
0 likes
That's pretty much mine, too.

I'm also bad for getting things rolling in a direction I like (or think I like) and then hitting a dead end where I don't know where it should go next.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i get distracted too easi...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

God Empress of Lush
0 likes
I have to force myself not to over-edit my stories.

I can never leave anything alone - I always think I need to change a word here, a phrase there, when sometimes that spoils the initial spontaneity.

I even re-wrote that last sentence twice!

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie
I have to force myself not to over-edit my stories.

I can never leave anything alone - I always think I need to change a word here, a phrase there, when sometimes that spoils the initial spontaneity.

I even re-wrote that last sentence twice!

Haha nothing wrong with a perfectionist smile
Clumeleon
0 likes
I get myself bogged down in details. My stories become cluttered with tidbits of information that just do not advance the plot. I need to work on just keeping some things to myself.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I have a long list, but my biggest lump of it is lack of experience. There's only so far an imagination and listening ear can take me.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Head Nurse
0 likes
I have several half started stories that I have quit for a variety of reasons. But my biggest flaw is to much telling, not enough showing
Lurker
0 likes
I have to say that it would be beautiful woman who want to have sex with me.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Maintaining some kind of tension to drive the plot. I really just want them to all be happily naughty.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Mine is, like Sprite, getting too easily distracted... I procrastinate, I float off and do other things...

I have like a gazillion unfinished stories - I will get back to them, eventually...

I need focus and self-discipline...
Sophisticate
0 likes
Leaving well enough alone. I want to keep editing, looking for repetitive words, finding just the right ones to express what I want to say. Wanting precision can be a curse as well as an asset.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mazza
Mine is, like Sprite, getting too easily distracted... I procrastinate, I float off and do other things...

I have like a gazillion unfinished stories - I will get back to them, eventually...

I need focus and self-discipline...

Ditto, and - oh, look! There goes a bunny rabbit!
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
The Linebacker
0 likes
Time! I never have time to sit and write the story from start to finish. I have to do it 2-5 paragraphs at a time, sometimes days in between. My hectic schedule and often long work hours are the reason.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The dreaded tick tock of the clock. Finding time to sit down and do justice to your story in the midst of all the chaos of life can be quite a trial at times. I find that it is necessary to set aside a block of time each evening to try to write during which I turn off the phone.
0 likes
Mine is editing. I set time aside at night for writing but I always start each session by reading what I wrote before, then I tweak the previously written parts over and over, and only end up writing a couple of new paragraphs.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i get distracted too easi...

lol hey look ca...
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
Mine is editing. I set time aside at night for writing but I always start each session by reading what I wrote before, then I tweak the previously written parts over and over, and only end up writing a couple of new paragraphs.

This ^^^

I edited a story recently from 12,000 words to about 7,000 in one sitting.
Every time I pick up where I left off I have to give the existing content a read to get back in the mind-set. Then it inevitably turns into an editing session during which nothing new gets written.
Lurker
0 likes
Mine is editing. I type fast so I always end up missing words and having to go back and fill in the blanks.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My main area of preferred writing is graphic novels. The first problem is that I am a terrible artist. The second is place setting. I can work well inside a room or somewhere I am fully acquainted with, but I can't describe an area I don't know well at all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Laziness. Once I've had an idea for a story - that's the main creative act already over so having to write it all out is the draggy thing. I once thought of a great idea as to why a lot of rock stars die young and it was this. Rock and Roll was thought up by the U.S.S.R. as a means of corrupting the west (anyone who thinks rock and roll didn't do just that has a short memory) Anyway the idea would be that every time some icon finds out that they are a Soviet puppet they get ''accidentally'' removed. smile Some people think I should still give that a go but it sounds like hard work. ''Hey Buddy what was that guy doing to the wing of the plane? I dunno Ritchie maybe just a last minute safety check wanna drag of this splif?''
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Like others - the time factor seems to be the big one. I have to get into a bit of a 'zone' to really feel the words. I also find that the more you write, the more self-critical you become and sometimes the pressure you put on yourself to produce something fabulous becomes paralyzing or leads to overthinking things.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

This ^^^

I edited a story recently from 12,000 words to about 7,000 in one sitting.
Every time I pick up where I left off I have to give the existing content a read to get back in the mind-set. Then it inevitably turns into an editing session during which nothing new gets written.

Me three! Omg! I do this too much! Then I end up changing the whole bloody plot! Damn!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
AM versus PM.

I can only write before noon, and have to be in total solitude and silence. After noon, my brain ebbs, and I seem to lose mind-power. Hence since returning to full-time work, I've not written. All of my stories were scribed at the dawn of the day, or near enough. Even at work, when I have to compile long or complex correspondence, I always schedule to do it in the mornings.
Lurker
0 likes
LOL - changing plots! yes! I do this until I get sick of it all.

A story - titled 'Mine' . . . was about a who falls in love with a victim of his and changes into a nice guy.
Well I researched publishers and realized that there's no way in hell that would ever be published - so changed it to him just having a split personality and the other side is up to no good half the time.
That was stupid, though - and I"m not a guy - so I switched to her point of view.
Then I didn't like her at all and rewrote her as a character - and he was just a normal, nice guy.

In the end - I eroded it down through 7 rewrites (and this was like 50K words worth to rewrite) to eventually it being a boring boy-meets-girl bs story . . . so I quit writing on it altogether. LOL

It sucked.
The end.

But my first version - I really like the first version (and that shows you how fucked I really am)
Lurker
0 likes
writing myself into a corner. get a great story going, full of character development, details, etc. then have a great idea for a twist in the story but can't make it possible without treading on something i've already said earlier :/