last reply
14 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Not the perfect combination!
I recently had a computer crash, as we all know, that's a nightmare. So I now have a new computer running Windows 8, another nightmare. I have Win 8 working reasonably well, but Word 2013 with Win 8
works completely different to earlier versions. Does anyone here use Word 2013 and can share some advice? I have to transfer my stories to my laptop to upload here, as the formatting of the text in W2013 means I would get a rejection because of incorrect spacing. Hard to explain. Just interested if anyone else is using Word 2013, and how they are finding it?
0 likes
My last Lush story (Frustration and Relief) was done in 2013 and I copied and pasted it as usual. The feature in Lush's editor that adapts Word text seemed to handle it okay (the reviewer who okay'd it didn't say anything about any formatting problems at least). That said, I do no formatting in Word, just do it all in Normal Style and then if I want to do any fancy formatting, I do it on Lush to make sure it's done correctly.

Overall, I like Office 2013 as a whole save for the new look, which I find kind of washed out and hard on the eyes if I don't tweaks things a bit. There are some new features in how Excel does autofills and things like that that I quite like and the new Outlook is the best yet, IMHO. All that said, if I didn't use it for work, I'd drop MS Office in favour of something free and more basic (e.g. Libre Office) at the drop of a hat.

As for 8, I have no idea. I have largely avoided it and will continue to do so until I see whether 8.1 deals with some of my issues adequately.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks seeker4. I have a new computer after my last one crashed recently. It came with Win 8, and I had Word 2013 I was going to load on my old computer, but it died before I got the chance, so when my new baby arrived, I of course uploaded it. Win 8 is not all that bad, but in basic layout and finding your way around, a whole new ball game. MS really need to include a manual where they are making major changes to their OS. A friend loaned me his Win 8 for dummies, which I have found completely useless. I purchased a mag from the local newsagent, "Essential Guide to Windows 8", 114 pages, which I've found a lot more help than 416 pages of "Dummies". I guess what it comes down to is, the more you use it, the more you find out and the better you get. Thanks for your comments.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have an older version of Word that is acting up on Me so I went to buy Word 2013 at the computer store the other day. I installed it and took a look - Holy Crap! I couldn't make heads or tails out of it! I took it back off of My computer and right now I use WordPad for My writing. I will be getting a Word 2013 book and try it again. But for now WordPad does what I want for the most part.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
An excellent alterntaive to Word on Windows computers is RoughDraft (). It is freeware/donationware designed for writers and is easy to use and uncluttered. Its native format is rtf.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

0 likes
Hmm. Must check that one out, visioneer. Thank for the tip. How well-maintained is it? A lot of free/donationware seems to hit a 1.1 or 1.2 release and then stagnates.
0 likes
I have win 8 but prefer Word 2010, I save my stories in RTF and they render perfectly into Lush. The only thing to watch for is a space gets deleted in the first sentence for some reason.
0 likes
My last turned into a major headache. Copy and paste from Word 2013 got royally mangled. Spaces removed in some spots, and spaces added between the quotation marks and the quoted text. Ended up saving the Word file to plain text and copying and pasting from Notepad.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Jumping into a new version of both Windows and Word is a fate no one should suffer. If possible, reinstall a version of Word and of Windows you feel comfortable with. The suggestion about saving future Lush subs in rtf or, my suggestion, txt can ease a lot of strain. Rough Draft is a good alternate word processor. Last time I checked, so was Open Office, which was, once upon a time, free. Who knows, it may still be.

Best of luck along with deepest sympathy is hereby extended.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
Last time I checked, so was Open Office, which was, once upon a time, free. Who knows, it may still be.

Open Office is still free but many now prefer its offshoot/offspring Libre Office. Basically, some of the original team bailed and started their own variant. Also free.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
It was a big adjustment to like Windows 8 but now that I have been using it since Christmas I do like it. I actually have 8.1.

I also use Word 2013 and really love it. If you hit no spacing that should fix the problem you are having.
Story Verifier
0 likes
I'm using a bit of a three-step approach right now. I have my stories in Google Drive in their native format so I can reach them and write from every computer with an internet connection. I use Word 2007 for the spelling and grammar checks before submitting them though. It's, sadly, the only decent one I have found so far. OpenOffice does a dismal job in that regard, not even being consistent between US and UK spelling, lots of common words are missing from its dictionaries and the grammar checks are practically nonexistent. I can't just paste my texts into the submission box at Lush either, if I copy from Word, I end up with doubled paragraph breaks and sometimes creative ideas about quotation marks, while copying from Google Docs changes all paragraph breaks to simple line breaks. *sighs* So I make an intermediate stop at my text editor from the stone ages, where I have recorded a small macro that corrects these "corrections" copying makes before copying from there to Lush... you get the gist.

Quote by Mysteria27
I also use Word 2013 and really love it. If you hit no spacing that should fix the problem you are having.

I'll be going to try out Word 2013 over Easter and have a look at the spacing options there, your words gave me the push. I had to smile looking at your profile and seeing my name in the top authors snippet you posted. ah, the fuzzy, warming pleasures of fleeting popularity!
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Seeker, thanks for the 'Libre' info.
Chrissie, once upon a time, all Lush subs had to be in txt format. In these modern days, of course, standard Word docs work, most of the time. Sending the sub in txt or rtf format is still more reliable, probably, most of the time, with luck. ;)

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
My new laptop has Windows 8. I hated it. I spent half the day deleting preloaded crap. It had more apps than I knew what to do with. I missed the old start menu, so downloaded classic shell to feel more at home. I do like some of the features, but some... grrr. I thought I'd like the speech recognition feature, but found myself yelling.... I didn't say that!

I used Office 2013 while I had the free trial, but went back to 2010. Once again I felt more comfortable with that version. I guess it's what one gets used to.
Lurker
0 likes
I use 7 and I find it user friendly...as a sometime writer, I have yet to test Office.