last reply
39 replies
5.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Power Foods

Power Foods are foods that have optimal properties to achieve certain healthy objectives. They may be very high in nutrients, have special properties, contain few calories, help muscle growth, serve specific purposes, etc.

Post yours! You don't have to be scientifically exhaustive, but the more information the better!

I have plenty in mind, but will wait for others to share theirs too.

For thorough data about almost every food : http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Salmon

Salmon is a very high source of complete proteins and is therefore ideal for muscle growth. An average sized portion can easily provide more than 40g of proteins.

Salmon is also very filling, and as such could help you lose weight.

It is also the greatest source of Omega-3 you can find ; an average portion/can of 225g contains approximately 4g of Omega-3. As a comparison, you would need to ingest 12 capsules of Omega-3 to provide such an amount. Since Omega-3 are one of the most potent anti-inflammatory supplements, salmon is therefore one of the best anti-inflammatory food available in itself.

It is also a good source of Vitamin B6 and Calcium, and a very good source of Vitamin D, Niacin and Vitamin B12.

Salmon also contains neglectable amounts of Mercury, since it is not very high in the food chain.

Personally, I eat one can of salmon every dinner. I buy Alaskan Pink Salmon which is considered the healthiest ; it is also as healthy as fresh salmon. Myself I eat it directly out of the can (primitive, I know), but you can achieve many interesting meals with it. One I did in the past is a noodles pasta salad, where you can cook pastas and add salmon as well as other ingredients of your choice : beans, peppers, celeries, etc.

Note : If you really want to reap all the benefits, do not drain it from its liquid. The liquid is in fact what contains the most nutrients.

Lurker
0 likes
Kentucky Fried Chicken - serves a purpose

There is a saying which is one good meal doesn't make a good diet just like one bad meal doesn't make a bad diet. Generally with any healthy eating plan you will get cravings for certain 'bad' foods. Mentally I find it beneficial to satisfy these cravings, which I do once a week. I view it as a reward, and makes the rest of the weeks healthy eating easier. KFC is my power food as for me it's mentally beneficial.

It also serves a purpose for endurance events. Eating high fats foods before a endurance event helps stop the body eating protein reserves which will prevent muscle cramp. I ate KFC the two nights before my marathon row.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Beetroot juice

http://www.globe-runners.com/?q=node/202

It does turn your shit a scary colour though
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, Overmykneenow and his beetroot juice is right on! I juice twice every day. Normally I keep it simple juicing 3 carrots, a handful of parsley and either an apple or a stalk of celery. On nights that I have broccoli I save the stalks and throw them in whatever juice I make the next day. And I always use the pulp in breads, be it apple or banana, zucchini or just a yeast bread. The pulp makes the bread so moist.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
CHIA SEEDS

i personally use Chia seeds daily. i eat overall very healthy, non processed foods...but i discovered these when i was on a trip in brazil and fell in love with them...they are tiny seeds that can be ate whole or added to many recipes or made into drinks or they can be used to make a gel to replace eggs for various recipes.
Some benefits are:
Chia seeds are rich in polyunsaturated fats, especially omega-3 fatty acids.
Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber, with a whopping 10 grams in only 2 tablespoons.
Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals, aging and cancer.
High in Minerals....Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 18 percent of the DRI for calcium, 35 percent for phosphorus, 24 percent for magnesium and about 50 percent for manganese.
Chia seeds are glutton free.
Chia seeds give you satiety. Satiety is the feeling of being full and satisfied, which helps lower food cravings between meals.
Chia seeds can also help regulate your sugar levels and increase your good cholesterol and lower your bad one.

heres a link about them
http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-duncan-nd-cn/chia-ancient-super-secret
my newest :)
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Almonds

Almonds are very healthy as well as practical. They're easy to carry around as a snack and only a small handful provides a large amount of energy/calories. Because of this, they should be eaten in moderation to prevent fat gain. When combined with carbohydrates, almonds also lower the glycemic index of the meal and thus help maintain steady blood sugar levels.

Almonds are a rich source of vitamin E, a strong antioxidant that also thins blood. About 20 percent of raw almond is high quality protein, a third of which are essential amino acids. They are also rich in dietary fiber, B vitamins, essential minerals and monounsaturated fat, one of the two fats which potentially may lower LDL cholesterol. Typical of nuts and seeds, almonds also contain phytosterols, associated with cholesterol-lowering properties.

Potential health benefits, which have not been scientifically validated, include improved complexion and possibly a lower risk of cancer. A preliminary trial showed that using them in the daily diet might lower several factors associated with heart disease, including cholesterol and blood lipids.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Pickle Juice

If you play team sports, tennis, rowing, running, training or do cardio-intensive workouts etc. - Pickle Juice is a great option to rehydrate and reduce leg cramps. It also helps those hangovers and works to help settle an upset stomach. You can also freeze them into pickle-pops.

More Details:

It is becoming a favorite among sports players. It has been found to help reduce cramps in athletes, whether racing bikes or playing football, or whatever kind of sport you partake in, pickle juice is being recognized more and more as a drink that will give you more electrolytes than the more popular "ade" drinks. In fact 30 times more than PowerAde and 15 times more than Gatorade. Preventing dehydration is a major factor in any sport, and with the salt content along with the acetic acid, it has been found that pickle juice is much better than isotonic drinks that contain citric acid.

Lurker
0 likes
I've never seen Pickle Juice as a sports drink.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by Kristind
I've never seen Pickle Juice as a sports drink.

I don't think I've ever seen something like Pickle Juice Sport.

Gotta be a Canadian thing.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Oatmeal

Oatmeal is an excellent source of carbohydrates. Its glycemic index is on the low/average range and is comparable to the one of quinoa. Also, when prepared and digested, oatmeal becomes swollen and takes a long time to navigate inside the digestive organs, thus suppressing appetite. It also contains a decent amount of proteins.

The best way to prepare it is with water and eating it uncooked ; cooking it may increase the glycemic index. Its greatest feature is how versatile it is since it can be mixed with a lot of other foods (fruits, nuts, protein powder, flaxseed, etc). Any mix you create will most probably be a lot healthier than any processed cereal you could buy.

This is my personal breakfast preparation :

- 90g Oatmeal
- 200g Applesauce
- 40g Protein powder
- 30g Almonds
- 48g Chocolate chips (only when bulking, to add plenty of calories)
- Water

I also eat oatmeal after a weight lifting session, with a slightly different recipe :

- 90g Oatmeal
- x1 Banana, cut in slices
- 40g Protein powder
- 250g Soy milk
- 48g Chocolate chips
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Love me my bananas and avocados for smoothies. Bananas for protein avocados for energy smoothies. Wish avocados weren't so damned pricey though.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
Love me my bananas and avocados for smoothies. Bananas for protein avocados for energy smoothies. Wish avocados weren't so damned pricey though.

I love avocados too. In fact, they exhibit almost the same properties as almonds. They can be pricey though, like you mention, but I still enjoy them from time to time for a change.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Lean Proteins Sources : Chicken Breast, Tuna & Cottage Cheese

These 3 foods do not possess any special properties, but are excellent sources of lean proteins ; more than 90% of their caloric content is provided by proteins. They are useful for building muscles and maintaining them. Although other meats or dairies can provide as much proteins, they also contain high quantities of fat, which can result in a caloric excess and fat gain.

Chicken Breast : This is personally my favorite source of lean proteins, and eat it every supper. What I do is cook a large batch which lasts me up to a week (cooked chicken can be conserved up to 7 days in the fridge). I buy them pre-seasoned at a local market, and simply put them in the oven at 350F for an hour.

Tuna : I always keep a few tuna cans in my pantry as an alternative to chicken breasts. I always buy Flaked Light Tuna (not White), since it is the variety that contains the least Mercury. Still, it is not recommended to eat more than 3 cans per week. You can eat it directly out of the can (if you're primitive like me), or mix it with any other recipe. Tuna doesn't really have a taste on its own, so it is versatile and easy to combine with sauces, seasonings, mayonnaise, etc. One recipe I like is pastas with white sauce, and added tuna. You can also add other seafoods of your choice (shrimps, etc). Another thing you can do is mix tuna with low-fat mayonnaise and eat it in a sandwich.

Cottage Cheese : Cottage cheese is interesting since it can be combined with different foods (oatmeal, fruits, peanut butter, nuts, etc) to obtain a desert-like meal. Personally, I used to eat a lot of it but don't anymore as I sometimes develop mild back-acne, and dairies might be a cause since they contain hormones ; this is especially true when I'm bulking and my hormone levels go through the roof. When I used to eat it, I combined it with mostly anything, but my favorite recipe was to mix it with Tahini (sesame paste) and added a spoonful of non-caloric sweetener.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

I don't think I've ever seen something like Pickle Juice Sport.

Gotta be a Canadian thing.

LOL... no, it's not a Canadian thing - it's a sports thing.

http://www.good.is/posts/how-pickle-juice-changed-the-world-of-sports-food-innovations-from-the-football-field

Quote by [url=http://www.good.is/posts/how-pickle-juice-changed-the-world-of-sports-food-innovations-from-the-football-field
Article[/url]]

The Philadelphia Eagles started their 2000 season at Texas Stadium in Dallas. They opened with an onside kick, recovered the ball, and quickly threw a touchdown pass. Sure, they were a losing team, expected to lose against the Cowboys, and here they were pulling ahead. But that’s not what set the game apart. It was 109 degrees, the hottest game ever played.

Imagine being a 300-pound guy, in tights, running around, running into other big guys while wearing 30 pounds of equipment. You’re going to sweat. A dozen Cowboys did so much sweating, they dropped out of the game with heat-induced muscle cramps. All the Eagles stayed in and the team won 41-14. The Eagles’ secret weapon? They fought off cramps with pickle juice.

Pickle juice has long had a reputation for curing hangovers, easing sunburns, or reducing the blisters on Nolan Ryan’s fingertips. But the 2000 game in Dallas really set the ball in motion. Now, there are pickle juice products (sort of the Schlitz of sports drinks) and at least one researcher attempting to unravel the drink's mysterious effects.

Following the "pickle juice game" in Dallas, Kevin C. Miller, then a doctoral student at Brigham Young University, got wind of the story. For his dissertation, he looked into the role that pickle juice can play in muscle cramping. Miller, who’s now a professor at North Dakota State University and the world’s leading expert on pickle juice (perhaps its only expert), performed another experiment in 2009.

He went out to Sam’s Club and bought two big 5-gallon buckets of Vlasic dill pickles. He lugged them back to the lab and drained out all the pickles. (He gives them away to students or fellow faculty). Miller had 12 healthy volunteers pedal for 30 minutes on stationary bicycles. When the riders became measurably dehydrated, he induced muscle cramps in their toes with electrical shocks and administered one of three things: nothing, ionized water, or pickle juice. Riders drank the equivalent of about 1 milliliter for every kilogram of body weight, so a 150-pound guy got about 2 ounces. Last May, he published the study, which showed pickle juice relieved cramps 45 percent faster than drinking nothing and 37 percent faster than water alone.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
After research on the net I have started drinking powdered green tea the idea is that as it's powdered you get more benefit from it as you consume everything. However I have my doubts about all so called health foods and would be interested in anyone's experience regarding this as part of me thinks I am just going through the motions and finishing the packet as it was very expensive.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42
After research on the net I have started drinking powdered green tea the idea is that as it's powdered you get more benefit from it as you consume everything. However I have my doubts about all so called health foods and would be interested in anyone's experience regarding this as part of me thinks I am just going through the motions and finishing the packet as it was very expensive.

I believe nutrition can make a difference on health as a whole if you consider it thoroughly and entirely. If you simply drink green tea, but eat at McDonald's the whole year, you might not really notice important benefits. It's the cumulation of small benefits that make you healthy in the end.

Myself I eat healthy foods 90% of the time and I feel quite healthy and energic, have clear thoughts, have no medical condition, etc.
Head Nurse
0 likes
I eat a lot of oatmeal, cottage cheese, spinach, and beans.

And when I feel run down and tired, I cook a ribeye steak.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
LOL... no, it's not a Canadian thing - it's a sports thing.

Learn something new everyday.

Have you had it then and does it have the extreme sour taste of actual pickle juice?
Head Nurse
0 likes
My ex husband was raised old-order German baptist on a farm. They drank pickle juice after a long day of baling. I used to think he was crazy till I tried it. It's very refreshing!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I believe nutrition can make a difference on health as a whole if you consider it thoroughly and entirely. If you simply drink green tea, but eat at McDonald's the whole year, you might not really notice important benefits. It's the cumulation of small benefits that make you healthy in the end.

Myself I eat healthy foods 90% of the time and I feel quite healthy and energic, have clear thoughts, have no medical condition, etc.

I do appreciate your comments. I wouldn't be seen dead in McDonald's ironically I went in once and they had great difficulty in finding me one of their advertised salads (an indication of what most people eat there). smile However you didn't quite answer my question - is this stuff the miracle tonic of its reputation or not? I feel I do eat mainly healthy foods, am the same weight as when I was 16 - 9st 6lbs but do have bronchitis (a legacy from my smoking days). And like a lot of older people am fixated about my health - yes you all have this to look forward to along with different sleep patterns due to having less of the chemical that keeps you asleep, and a fascination with bowel movements (told you I was fixated about health).
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42

I do appreciate your comments. I wouldn't be seen dead in McDonald's ironically I went in once and they had great difficulty in finding me one of their advertised salads (an indication of what most people eat there). smile However you didn't quite answer my question - is this stuff the miracle tonic of its reputation or not? I feel I do eat mainly healthy foods, am the same weight as when I was 16 - 9st 6lbs but do have bronchitis (a legacy from my smoking days). And like a lot of older people am fixated about my health - yes you all have this to look forward to along with different sleep patterns due to having less of the chemical that keeps you asleep, and a fascination with bowel movements (told you I was fixated about health).

Quite honestly, I don't believe there's anything like a miracle product. I've seen people that were eating as healthy as me and still developed diseases and cancers. But like I said, being healthy puts the odds in your favor. I don't know much about green tea frankly, but in my opinion the first thing to get in order is your basic nutrition ; I'd invest in that first if I were you (if you don't have this 100% fixed already).

In my opinion though, natural products like teas tend to be quite expansive and not necessarly the most cost effective. Myself I prefer to invest in quality foods and supplements (vitamins, minerals, glucosamine, etc). But as I've said my experience with tea is limited. Maybe someone more knowledgable about teas might give you a better answer.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42

I find that it makes a difference but more than that, I really love the taste of Matcha so it's a win-win for me. The science behind it also makes sense. It's better to consume the entire leaf to max the benefits of green tea. I understand the skepticism though with a lot of these superfoods - it's hard to qualitatively measure the impact. I honestly probably do it more for the taste and the health benefits are a bonus.

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst30800_Matcha-Tea.aspx
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Wheat Tortillas

Wheat tortillas are a great source of carbohydrates, as well as being fun to eat. The process used to produce them results in the lowest Glycemic Index (GI) available for any kind of bread ; even the fanciest multi-whole-grain bread is no match agaisnt the simple Old El Paso tortillas. Such a low GI means the sugars contained in tortillas will reach the blood slowly and steadily, thus controlling insulin levels and preventing hyperglycemia/hypoglycemia. This is particularly interesting for people suffering from diabetes. Here's a table that compares the Glycemic Index of different types of breads :

Waffles-----------------------------------76
Bagel, white, frozen---------------------72
Baguette, white, plain-------------------95
Coarse barley bread--------------------34
Hamburger bun--------------------------61
50% cracked wheat kernel bread------58
White wheat flour bread-----------------71
Whole wheat bread, average-----------71
Pita bread, white-------------------------68
Corn tortilla------------------------------52
Wheat tortilla----------------------30

There are many ways to eat tortillas. Personally I like filling them with chicken, salsa and grated cheese. I also use them for dips. For example, I can use the same ingredients (chicken, salsa, cheese), put them in a bowl and dip with tortillas for a different experience. I also use tortillas for dips of hummus and baba ghanoush, instead of using pita bread. I can also spread peanut butter and roll them for a tasty treat.

Or, if I somehow haven't reached my caloric target for the day, I can go the primitive route once again and swallow 4 of them in one shot.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Having experimented with a diet of this kind at the start of the year I can say that these kinds of foods help you to eat less and feel a lot less hungry.

I usually sleep better too.

Western culture and lifestyle tends to involve simply eating way too much. Even if we think we're not eating too much, we usually are.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Lurker
0 likes
my favorite are almonds.. I don't eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes.. i'm addicted to raw unsalted almonds.. I eat them as snack in between meals . keep my abs in check smile
0 likes
Eggs, medium rare ribeye steaks (just a personal preference of mine), salmon and broccoli.

One underheralded fact about broccoli: it contains two compounds by the names of I3C (indole-3-carbinol) and DIM (diindolylmethane) that act as solid aromatase inhibitors. Aromatase is an enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen and, for us guys, that's a downfall. Healthy estrogen levels in men are required for good health and for hormonal balancing purposes, but a lot of men walk around today with elevated aromatase and therefore skyhigh estradiol (estrogen) levels, causing passive behavior, a lack of creativity, bodyfat increases, piss poor cholesterol numbers and a shitty, overall lifestyle because low T/high E in males = depression and lack of drive to do anything.

Now, the amount of broccoli you'd have to eat to consume considerable amounts enough to make an impact on the aromatase activity in your body is questionable and undisclosed, but I eat broccoli for health and satiation (love it as a side with anything; completely kills my appetite) reasons.

Love beef. I still can't believe that, in 2013, with all of the scientific peer reviewed journal-related literature out there regarding saturated fatty acids and how they DO NOT cause heart disease (correlation does not equal causation), plenty of people still believe that SFAs are deadly. All thanks to the bullshit, now-debunked studies done by one asshole by the name of Dr. Ancel Keys back in 1969. I'm not saying one should go extreme with one fatty acid or another, but a combination of satty fats, monounsaturated fats and a minimal amount of poly fats (preferably DHA/EPA omega-3s) will do a body good.

Eggs... what can be said? They are a powerhouse food, without a doubt. A solid source of fat, protein, B vitamins and zinc. Again, going back to the Ancel Keys shit, its dietary cholesterol content is trivialized more than it should be. Dietary cholesterol does not equate to blood cholesterol. Asides from being hereditary and having a genetic proclivity to have cholesterol levels be at a certain range, I'd go on a limb and say that blood cholesterol is most affected by one being sedentary and/or eating a diet bereft of nutrients that promotes inflammation and insulin resistance. Insulin resistant? High risk of plaque and in the arteries and all sorts of issues. I could write a book or seven on these topics, so I'll stop here.

Salmon is pretty damn delicious when cooked fresh. I made a mistake last month and decided to cook a piece that was smelling extremely fishy (fresh salmon should either not smell or have a very light, barely detectable smell). Cooked it. Smelled awful. Tossed it. But I've stayed away from salmon ever since because my stomach turns at the thought of eating any at the moment. Stepping off the soapbox now.
Lurker
0 likes
Dark leafy greens such as kale, collards, chard, dandelions:Full of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients
Seaweed:Very rich in nutrients
Beets:Liver cleansers
Wild caught salmon
bananas:Potassium
Fresh tuna
Tomatoes:Antioxidants
Flax seeds:Omegas
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I tried this recently, and it's pretty good! It's easy to add to a variety of dishes and smoothies.

Rawsome – A Completely Pure and Powerful Food Fortifier

Raw ingredients - cold-milled and dried below 40°C. Uses sprouted seeds to reduce anti-nutrients, and increases beneficial probiotic bacteria and active enzymes.
Organic, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
Versatile whole food concentrate that fortifies nutrient level of food
Features Hemp, Chia, Flax, and Fruit & Vegetable concentrates
Delivers full spectrum of Omega 3 fatty acids - ALA, DHA, and EPA
Provides 45 servings at a cost of about 50 cents per day

NOW® Rawsome is a versatile whole food concentrate that can be easily added to a wide variety of foods and used in various ways, including cooking and baking, to enhance the nutritional value of your favourite dishes. A one teaspoon serving is a source of 7 essential nutrients including vitamins, minerals and Omega-3 fatty acids (including 28 mg of DHA and EPA), plus antioxidants and probiotics from 10 different whole seeds, fruits and vegetables.

NOW® Rawsome is a highly nutritious, organic, raw, peanut and gluten-free whole food source of essential nutrition. Our seeds are sprouted, dried and milled to increase the bioavailability and nutritional content (including naturally occurring probiotics), and to reduce anti-nutrients for better mineral absorption. The taste is slightly sweet and nutty and can be easily added to any number of foods (cooked, baked or raw). It is also the first heat-stable natural food powder offering a full spectrum of essential nutrients. NOW® Rawsome is free from peanuts and tree-nuts, so it is perfect for kid’s school lunches. Vegetarians will like it too. So much nutrition is delivered in such a small serving size.

RAWSOME contains organic Smartgrain®, ingrained (with fish oil) and sprouted ground flax. It also contains organic, sprouted chia seed, as well as organic hemp seed meal. The sprouting and evaporating techniques that are utilized in the making of NOW® Rawsome result in a shelf stable product that is protected from the oxidative rancidity common to most milled flax products.

Convenient and Versatile, Nutritious and Delicious
NOW® Rawsome is versatile and convenient having a shaker lid with pour and scoop options, so anyone can use it; anytime, any place. Here is just a small list of the ways to use:
Sprinkle on popcorn, salads, potatoes/rice/pasta dishes
Boost breakfast nutrition by adding to cereals, yogurts or eggs
Add to health shakes for a nutrient boost
Mix into muffins, breads, desserts and other nutty-based baking recipes
Pump up dips for outstanding nutritious appetizers
Sprinkle on sandwiches and wraps - Even add to sandwich spreads
Add to stir-fry’s, soups, meat dishes, stuffings, and casseroles for added flavour and nutrition
Try it in the cat and dog’s food dish!
Take it camping, on picnics, to the cottage, or on summer getaways

A look over our nutrition panel will make you feel even better about adding so much nutrition in so few calories, so you can watch your waistline while meeting your nutritional needs. Just one teaspoon almost meets your 100% recommended daily needs for Vitamins D and E, and almost half your needs for Vitamin C, Thiamine (B1) and Vitamin B6 in just 25 calories!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Add Brazil nuts to the mix for selenium, a mineral that may be a natural mood booster. Studies have linked low selenium to poorer moods. Smaller amounts of selenium are also found in meats, seafood, beans, and whole grains. Don't overdo it: Too much selenium is harmful.