last reply
14 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Risk Takers

A few years back I remember reading an article about the attractiveness that women perceived in men taking risks. Taking risks can englobe many things from purely physical ones to defending a personal opinion. I already know the answer regarding how women generally perceive each kind of risks, but I'd like to see if women here share the same opinion.

You can fill the short survey at the end of this post by rating your personal attraction to each kind of risks on a scale from 1 to 10. I'll let the thread evolve and post what the scientific surveys revealed when I feel it will be appropriate.

Explanations :

Financial = investing, gambling, etc
Engagement = showing love in first encounters, settling, having children, etc
Criminal = stealing, frauding, using/selling drugs, speeding on the highway, etc
Physical = extreme sports, boxing, fighting (self-defense), etc
Health = having unhealthy habits, smoking, dangerous sexual practices, etc
Intellectual = defending his point of view, having non-conventional opinions, etc

Notes :

- Do not take for granted that any of the above will lead to success ; the concept of risk is that it can be either beneficial or detrimental. For example a man who initially engaged and had children can fail his marriage and leave along the way ; a man trying to defend himself and his girlfriend can also be beaten up badly and end up in coma.

- Do not also fall for stereotypes or extremes ; a man taking financial risks is not necessarily a well-dressed Wall Street investor ; a man taking criminal risks is not necessarily a tatooed hardcore criminal either, and can be an average man willing to go against the law to obtain personal benefits.

- Also try not to consider your personal preferences much ; you can enjoy sports yourself, but might not approve the risky aspect of it ; the same applies to drugs, as maybe you use them yourself but don't enjoy going agaisnt the law by doing so.

Thanks and enjoy!

PS: Also feel free to discuss what appeals to you in a male displaying temerity, audacity, boldness, etc.

/10 Financial
/10 Engagement
/10 Criminal
/10 Physical
/10 Health
/10 Intellectual
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
It was hard to rate some of these because I found that I had the tendency to go with my gut impression (or stereotype) when I hear these words so I had to think on a couple of them and not see them as so black and white. There's still a lot of subjectivity though - obviously the ones I rated highly, I'm still seeing more of the positive side of the coin. The ones I rated lowest have certain red-flag connotations for me that are harder to get over (gambling addiction potential, love at first sight naivete, stealing/fraud morality, dangerous sex practices implications/repercussions).

I'm not totally risk-averse on many other points though - sometimes it's worth the gamble. Certain things (attitudes/spirit) are more attractive to me than others. And at the same time you don't want Mr Safe-bot wandering through life and never willing to take a chance on anything.

6/10 Financial
7/10 Engagement
4/10 Criminal
9/10 Physical
3/10 Health
9/10 Intellectual
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
It was hard to rate some of these because I found that I had the tendency to go with my gut impression (or stereotype) when I hear these words so I had to think on a couple of them and not see them as so black and white. There's still a lot of subjectivity though - obviously the ones I rated highly, I'm still seeing more of the positive side of the coin. The ones I rated lowest have certain red-flag connotations for me that are harder to get over (gambling addiction potential, love at first sight naivete, stealing/fraud morality, dangerous sex practices implications/repercussions).

Yes, there's of course a lot of subjectivity involved. I tried to search for the article I read a couple of years back to present the choices objectively as it was done in the studies, but I couldn't find it. I still remember the results fairly well though.

It's hard to totally separate the moral/personal appeal from the purely risk-taking one. For example, you might not approve the moral implications of stealing, but might find some appeal in a man that goes agaisnt established rules for personal empowerment. The Criminal Risks are particularly subjective in my opinion.

Also, it is possible to assume that a man who often takes risks in one of those fields might get better at it, and put the chances of success on his side by doing so. That's part of the appeal and shouldn't be ignored when scoring in my opinion. For example, a man who often engages in Physical Risks will get better at it, and his chances of injuries will get lower and lower. That's part of the benefits of taking such risks.

Between, I like your choices Dancing_Doll (in a non-romantic way). I think you'll enjoy seeing the scientific results as you're quite standard in some aspects, but also show obvious personal preferences in others.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Big risk taker. Such a rush goes through your body and mind, sometimes i think it's better than sex. Can't rate some of these, but Finance, is at the top, gambling, well I stopped when I could hear the horses, dogs, and the poker chips calling my name, but it was a rush when I was winning. Can't remember the others, but taking chances with public sex was most likely the highest rush.
And of course when I completed a giant project at work was at the top as well.
Hope this helps.
Well that's just my opinion, sorry if you don't like.

BigDaddyRich
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by BigDaddyRich
Big risk taker. Such a rush goes through your body and mind, sometimes i think it's better than sex. Can't rate some of these, but Finance, is at the top, gambling, well I stopped when I could hear the horses, dogs, and the poker chips calling my name, but it was a rush when I was winning. Can't remember the others, but taking chances with public sex was most likely the highest rush.
And of course when I completed a giant project at work was at the top as well.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for that contribution! It's nice to hear men out on that subject too.

Myself, I think I'm too cerebral and analytical to be perceived as a risk-taker per say. Instead of randomly taking chances, I analyze situations to help me figure out if the benefits are worth it. Few times in my life did I pursue actions that presented a high level of risk, and if I did I was aware of such risks. There are few of my decisions that I regret, but then again I might have missed a couple of opportunities here and there in my life.

Taking risks doesn't thrill me at all, and I surely won't do it to impress women either. I've never been called out on being 'wimpy' by women though ; I guess being cautious and objective can hold just as much charm/appeal. Every man has his own way to get things accomplished ; as long as he does get things accomplished, it's all good to women I believe. Women can have their personal preference about the image projected by men too ; some find an adventurous "act first think later" kind of man attractive, while others might prefer a man that's a bit more patient and analytical.

I did pretty risky/crazy stuff in my life though, mainly in work environments where I was forced to. Looking back at this, I don't think the benefits were worth the risks. Seriously, just eating calmly at the cafeteria was quite risky at those places, lol :

- Goddamn Johnny, did you abuse crack this morning again!? You can't ride that fucking lift straight, you almost got me killed!
- You wanna see my knuckles up close, prick!?
- I'd beat the crap out of you if you weren't so full of STDs, dumbass!

I surely didn't fit at those places, but funnily enough I think my serene personality soothed these guys. I even resolved some conflicts at times.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
6/10 Financial
5/10 Engagement
2/10 Criminal
9/10 Physical
2/10 Health
9/10 Intellectual
Lurker
0 likes
I gave mine with more specifics because the categories are too broad.

Financial
(4/10) investing - this can be risky, but it takes a good bit of insight and knowledge to even try. That ranks it in a different category than gambling.
(0/10) gambling - a disturbing and all consuming bad habit / addiction.

Engagement
(0/10) showing love in first encounters - I distrust people who do so, it's unnatural and forced. The idea of love at first sight is sweet but for the story books.
settling - I don't follow this one, does this refer to marriage? I don't rate that as risky, but human nature.
(2/10) having children - wantin to have children is a natural imperative. It's only seen as a risk in our individualistic corporate environment. The one who deals with real risk is the pregnant female.

Criminal
(0/10) stealing, frauding, using/selling drugs, speeding on the highway, etc - I abhor illicit behaviors that could lead to injury or jail. The only one that doesn't bother me is speeding, but that is costly.

Physical
(6/10) extreme sports, boxing, fighting (self-defense), etc - I approve of physical fitness but only if he's intelligent and not a jerk.

Health
(0/10) having unhealthy habits
(5/10) smoking
(6/10) dangerous sexual practices, etc

Intellectual
(10/10) defending his point of view - I'm big in intellectuals and especially those who stand up for their selves.
(7/10) having non-conventional opinions - all for t, but it can be annoying if it goes too far.

For all of these things I ranked low - my first thought will be "what a damned idiot." It's in no way attractive, exciting, or endearing. I will actually put distance between us because I'd be too concerned about havin to bail them out of trouble.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Metilda

(5/10) smoking

I like your choices too Metilda.

Question : do you smoke yourself? I thought smoking would have been rated quite low by most. Then again, some might enjoy the image it projects, the careless "live fast, die young" man who assumes his actions.

I used to smoke, and I do think the "I don't give a fuck" image I projected attracted some females. But it surely was repulsive to others too.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I like your choices too Metilda.

Question : do you smoke yourself? I thought smoking would have been rated quite low by most. Then again, some might enjoy the image it projects, the careless "live fast, die young" man who assumes his actions.

I used to smoke, and I do think the "I don't give a fuck" image I projected attracted some females. But it surely was repulsive to others too.

No, I don't smoke habitually these days. Its the sound of the smoke beig exhaled, the way a cigarette nests between the fingers, how a guy looks when he takes in a drag.

It doesn't represent anything to me, attitude wise, and not all guys are attractive when they smoke. They don't actually have to be a habitual smoker. It's just hot.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Come on ladies, the timer is running down until I spoil the scientific results!

Answering only takes 2 minutes of your time...
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
Come on ladies, the timer is running down until I spoil the scientific results!

Answering only takes 2 minutes of your time...

I've looked at this thread a number of times .... and it gives me a headache.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Last chance before I spoil the official results...
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I didn't really understand this the first time round, I'm afraid. There are far too many variables and questions to be asked before I could begin to narrow anything down. A huge amount of how high a risk I might take would depend on the individual to whom those choices would be tailored.

I'll be interested to see what some penpusher messing about with a few lists of statistics thinks my choices would be, based on choices of other people who are only like me in that they are the same gender, though...
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
It seems only risk takers answer these threads.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
*DRUMROLLS FOR FINAL RESULTS*

First, a look at what ladies here answered :

Dancing_Doll

6/10 Financial
7/10 Engagement
4/10 Criminal
9/10 Physical
3/10 Health
9/10 Intellectual

AngelHeart01

6/10 Financial
5/10 Engagement
2/10 Criminal
9/10 Physical
2/10 Health
9/10 Intellectual

Metilda (average scores established from her post)

2/10 Financial
1/10 Engagement
0/10 Criminal
6/10 Physical
3/10 Health
9/10 Intellectual

The official results obtained through the surveys were similar to this (consider a ±1 on these, as this is from my memory)

6/10 Financial
8/10 Engagement
3/10 Criminal
6/10 Physical
2/10 Health
9/10 Intellectual

As you can observe Criminal/Health were scored very low and unattractive, Financial/Physical were rated average, and Engagement/Intellectual were considered the most attractive.

Criminal/Health risks were considered quite lame, and not really worth the risks. These two categories in fact include the most 'extreme practices', and the risks can be very high while the benefits are almost non-existent in some cases.

Financial/Physical risks were generally considered slightly more attractive than a man not engaging in these activities, but many women were also reluctant to extremes (gambling, extreme sports, etc.) ; this has been mentionned by ladies here too.

The Physical category was a particular one, because the results varied greatly from younger women to older ones ; young women often rated Physical risks as high as a 9, while older ones rated it as low as a 3. For young women, a man engaging in such risks was considered active and courageous, while older women considered him unstable and immature.

This is why I stated that I liked Dancing_Doll's scores, as she was pretty much dead-on on all the other factors but also represented this preference for Physical risks fairly well, being young and physically active herself.

Engagement/Intellectual risks were rated very high. As opposed to Criminal/Health risks, the possible dangers were perceived as almost non-existant and harm free, while the benefits were greatly appreciated. A man engaging in such risks was also considered as courageous and manly as a man engaging in more 'dangerous' risks (physical, criminal, etc.).

The overall conclusion to this is that the risks that are the most cherished by women are often more subtle, and not as flagrant as smoking a cigarette in front of an enraged bull after taking a bet with friends that one will survive the event (lol). The take-home point for men is that showing courage to women seldom implies engaging in stupid and dangerous activities... this is considered just that : stupid and dangerous. If you want to impress women, simply develop thoughtful opinions and a strong personality, and walk through life proudly while standing true to your own personal values.

Hope you enjoyed!