0 likes

Do you capitalise the word "god"?

27 votes remaining
Yes (19 votes) 70%
No (7 votes) 26%
Does the God/god have cookies? (8 votes) 30%
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Do you use a capital letter on "god" within exclamations? I only do it if I am specifically referring to the Judeo-Christian deity, but not if I am using the phrase as an exclamation.

My reason for this is partly out of respect for my upbringing (if you knew my family, you'd understand), and partly because my characters are usually not of an organised faith. Therefore, it is incorrect for them to refer to a specific single god, and are only vaguely nodding in the direction of whatever lesser deity might be peeping at their activities. They are not referring to them directly.

Do any of you care one way or the other? Do you use one or both methods?

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Head Nurse
0 likes
I accept both in verifying. I understand that there are people who feel strongly on both sides. I only ask that the writer remain consistent through out the story.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I tend to always capitalize, because it is in fact a name, regardless of whose it is. I also do, out of respect. That's just me.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton
"We're on a mission from God."

love the Blues Brothers!

And I use a 'G' mostly out of habit
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
I tend to always capitalize, because it is in fact a name, regardless of whose it is. I also do, out of respect. That's just me.

It's only a name if one is using it as a name. If one is referring to a being generally (such as an undeified mermaid, fairy or satyr, for instance), it is not used with a capital. In my writing, it is general, and can be interchangeable with "Oh my word!" and similar. If I meant a specific mermaid or woodland god, for instance, and used it for invoking her/his singular attention and/or power, I would say, "Oh Mermaid!" Or possibly, "Oh, Mermaid!" Or, "Oh Pan!/Oh, Pan!"

I do not call on the name of the Judeo-Christian god in my writing, which is most often the reason people would capitalise the word. For me, it's an idiomatic expression, not one with the traditional religious meaning of the phrase's origins.

I find it interesting how we view the term differently.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
0 likes
As an ex-/borderline Christian, I capitalize it both out of habit and out of the knowledge that the characters in my stories mostly come from a similar background and are, indeed, referring to "God" not "god". If I ever do a historical piece set in ancient Greece or Rome or something (I have a degree in Classical Studies that is woefully underutilized in my current life), I would likely do something different.
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I am naughty.

I don't capitalize the "g" for god - mind you in writing, I likely use it as: She muttered, "good god" or "oh god!"

I also do not capitalize the letters of bdsm.

Rebel, rebel!

I'll capitalize a title if it is military (General X) or head of "states" (the Queen, Prime Minister, etc).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
jesus christ who cares? or should that be Jesus Christ who cares?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SandyJ

Jesus cares, that's who.

I voted for cookies, btw.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by SandyJ

If you are making a statement that Jesus Christ cares, then it should lack the question mark, and ought to be expanded to prevent a sloppy partial sentence. If you are asking as a rhetorical exclamation, it would be better served with an exclamation mark (or point, as some prefer to call it) directly after the question mark.

However, if you are merely expressing lackadaisical half-arsed disdain at my curiousity, then really, you ought to have a comma after "Jesus christ/Jesus Christ".

Cookies are usually an option on my polls, since a lot of people need sweetening, and some of us just need a happy little treat sometimes. Nom nom.

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
It's only a name if one is using it as a name. If one is referring to a being generally (such as an undeified mermaid, fairy or satyr, for instance), it is not used with a capital. In my writing, it is general, and can be interchangeable with "Oh my word!" and similar. If I meant a specific mermaid or woodland god, for instance, and used it for invoking her/his singular attention and/or power, I would say, "Oh Mermaid!" Or possibly, "Oh, Mermaid!" Or, "Oh Pan!/Oh, Pan!"

I do not call on the name of the Judeo-Christian god in my writing, which is most often the reason people would capitalise the word. For me, it's an idiomatic expression, not one with the traditional religious meaning of the phrase's origins.

I find it interesting how we view the term differently.

Yes, me too. I can understand where you're coming from, also getting why some might not and why some might. I personally see it as God, as in a name. Because, he is in fact God. I'm not Christian or Catholic or anything, but deep down I do it for respect. Or, simply, I'm strange. Who knows?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Oh Dog, someone ate all the cookies.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I'm with Poppet on the upper case "G" for the same reasons: it's a name, and it's respectful.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
I don't, because experimenting with both has proven to me that dropping the caps results in less blowback from two types of readers:

Militant non-believers who are offended by capitalizing the name and thus bestowing 'legitimacy'

Believers who consider using the name blasphemy, and seem to be a great deal more offended by blasphemy when you use the capitalized version.

On the flipside, since I've made this decision years ago, the only person who regularly says anything about the caps is my editor. I can't think of a single instance where a reader has commented on the lower-case G, while I had a half dozen or so complaints about it when capped from those two camps.

For the same reason, I've all but dropped "Jesus" from my characters' exclamations of passion, and I avoid having 'god' appear at the beginning of a sentence if at all possible to avoid the necessity to capitalize it in that instance.

Sometimes, my characters demand the first word of sentence position, and I don't argue with them when they do. Compared to having it capped elsewhere, I've seen no commentary about it capped at the beginning of a sentence.
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
I would use "God", even as an exclamation, because whatever deity is being invoked, "God" is his/her name or title. Because of my Christian background, I use it quite a lot, as well as "Jesus Christ", which of course should always be capitalised. I've certainly never had any comments about this from readers on Lush, who presumably have other things on their minds when reading my stuff.

Are there any writers of other faiths on Lush who might have a different convention or preference? That would be interesting to know.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Jesus Christ, it's "Oh God."
Detention Seeker
0 likes
Big G works best for me for him up there!
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie
I would use "God", even as an exclamation, because whatever deity is being invoked, "God" is his/her name or title. Because of my Christian background, I use it quite a lot, as well as "Jesus Christ", which of course should always be capitalised. I've certainly never had any comments about this from readers on Lush, who presumably have other things on their minds when reading my stuff.

Are there any writers of other faiths on Lush who might have a different convention or preference? That would be interesting to know.

My father was in Christian ministry, as was I for many years. When I use the word these days, it is not a name because I don't include His persona in my stories, despite what others are saying in their own use. I use the generic term. I never use any form of "Jesus Christ". That most definitely is a name.

Buxom Enigma
0 likes
Well, I was raised in a Pentecostal home, and, when referencing Him, I'll cap it. But I don't whine over big G/little g at all. I'm partially with RejectedReality on this one. The fanatics are more likely to complain at the capping than no non, but ...

I broke away from the Faith when I was a teenager, and practiced different paths of Paganism for many years, so not every instance do I refer to the Man Upstairs. My vote is for the cookies, really.
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Candyman
0 likes
I grew up with God, but god is acceptable as well. I never take offense, unless offense is intended. Then again, isn't it spelled dog - not doG?
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Sergeant Turnip
0 likes
I use both ways in my stories, depending what I am trying to say.

For example:

"I thank God that you were here last night." Here I would use a capital letter on God, since I am referring to an actual "God".

But if I was using it as a way to express myself:

"Oh god, please fuck me harder." Then I would not use a capital since I am not using as a name, but as a way to express what I want.

In my personal opinion, using caps in the second example, is disrespectful. Just my thoughts though.
Lurker
0 likes
I do both, but it's not because of any religious thing, it is actually just because I'm quite lazy. I'll be honest, sometimes, I just can't be arsed to capitalise God. Sorry, God (that's not me blaspheming, I really am sorry).
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Saga
I use both ways in my stories, depending what I am trying to say.

For example:

"I thank God that you were here last night." Here I would use a capital letter on God, since I am referring to an actual "God".

But if I was using it as a way to express myself:

"Oh god, please fuck me harder." Then I would not use a capital since I am not using as a name, but as a way to express what I want.

In my personal opinion, using caps in the second example, is disrespectful. Just my thoughts though.

This makes perfect sense to me, apart from why it would be disrespectful to say "Oh God, please fuck me harder."
People have all sorts of kinks, maybe some of them have thing to be fucked by God
Lurker
0 likes
I use both... I never really think about it, sometimes I do it properly sometimes I don't.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I always capitalize it.
0 likes
Oh god. I don't believe in god, but even if I did, I still wouldn't capitalize it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Wilful
I'm with Poppet on the upper case "G" for the same reasons: it's a name, and it's respectful.

Respectful to whom or what?
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Quote by Tellerman

Respectful to whom or what?

To God him or herself. But more importantly, to those who believe in God.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Quote by Wilful

To God him or herself. But more importantly, to those who believe in God.

As I said earlier, I've found the opposite to hold true. The people who read erotica and have an opinion one way or the other seem to lean the other direction. Capital G equaled complaints about blasphemy, ( ranging from mild to acidic ) while lower case hasn't generated any mention at all.

I was only using the capital for a few months and had at least a half dozen comments about blasphemy coupled with a few commenting about legitimizing an imaginary man in the sky. It's been years using the lower case, and nothing but crickets chirping.

To me, it's a case of no news is good news.