Does it help to write while horny?

last reply
50 replies
6.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
In writing erotic fiction, does it help to write while turned on? Or is it better to wait until you've "cooled off", so to speak? Which leads to stronger prose?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm always horny, and it helps to write while aroused. That gives me great juice for thinking about it.
Classified
0 likes
I need to write when really horny as a few friends know.
I just need to complete the process as so many of my friends have done so successfully.
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
We'll. I usually start writing when not horney but as I start recalling an experience I always get turned on.
I have learned not a great idea to write when both horney and high.... Those stories always seem to get returned for rewrites. Lol
Mazztastic
0 likes
I will often write when I am horny, but what I've found is that I tend to be repetitive and my sentence structure et al goes to shit, however the typing will tend to flow when I'm turned on..

So, what I will do is write at that time, just get it typed out onto the page, then I'll leave it and come back at a later stage and edit it with a clearer head.. Try and mold it into something half decent - with varying degrees of success...

I did find it amusing, when I used to verify stories, that you could totally tell if the writer was turned on when they wrote their story - it would tend to get jumbled, repetitive, lots of mistakes at the saucy bits... It always made me smile, it was so obvious that the blood had left the big head and headed to the little head ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mazza
I will often write when I am horny, but what I've found is that I tend to be repetitive and my sentence structure et al goes to shit, however the typing will tend to flow when I'm turned on..

So, what I will do is write at that time, just get it typed out onto the page, then I'll leave it and come back at a later stage and edit it with a clearer head.. Try and mold it into something half decent - with varying degrees of success...

I did find it amusing, when I used to verify stories, that you could totally tell if the writer was turned on when they wrote their story - it would tend to get jumbled, repetitive, lots of mistakes at the saucy bits... It always made me smile, it was so obvious that the blood had left the big head and headed to the little head ;)

Kinda explains why I can't get anything written anymore.MUjyoPnKEk3PFQZK
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

I can imagine - my stories are more...sedate, so it does help to have a clear head (no, not that one...although....)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just start writing when I am in a sensual mood, and eventually I find myself almost living what I am writing - well imagining it strongly, and of course that make sme very horny so I then stop and com ebackto it, and the whole cycle goes on and on...damn..better stop writing now!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I worry that if I'm too turned on I will want to rush the scenario and just blaze ahead to the hot and heavy parts. I wonder if a slow burn might serve particular stories better.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I'm typically not horny when I write. Maybe I should be. I don't know, you tell me.

I do notice though that I often hold my breath while writing the naughty bits. Sometimes I'll even act them out in a weird, heavy breathing one man show. But despite the theatrics, I'm always too stressed about the writing to get turned on.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
There's no 'one sige fits all' answer. What works for one writer might not for another. That said, Mazza's thoughts, especially the one about just getting the story written, then 'cooling off' and coming back later to polish the prose, are spot on.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
0 likes
I find it easier to come up with the fantasies when I'm horny, but putting the plot around them and writing them is easier when I've blown off some steam, so to speak. These days, finding it hard to get the opportunity either to write or to "blow off steam" hence my lack of recent output on Lush.
Lurker
0 likes
I get distracted enough without being horny so I would say no it doesn't help.

That's just me though.
Velvet-Voiced Titillator
0 likes
I think it's all to do with the level of horniness and it doesn't have to stay constant over the time of writing.

I tend to start off pretty straight headed, think up my basic plot and characters. I like to write stories that I enjoy and when I have written something that gets me going, then there should be a good chance that it would effect another reader the same way.

I tend to find my horniness increases as the story heats up, but after having to read over it again and again to check for mistakes and just the flow of the story it's ability to make me horny wears off. It's only after posting it and leaving it a few months and then going back and reading again that I get that same feeling of excitement as when I originally wrote it.
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by lemanruss
I think so, but make sure you go back and do all of your proofreading and editing when you aren't. If you start to become horny again, congratulations! You have written a hot story (for yourself, at least). Now take care of that and then resume editing before you submit it.

I like the way you think.

To answer the question, I tend not to be all that horny when an idea strikes. However, once I begin to write my hands get distracted and my temperature rises.
Lurker
0 likes
Writing makes me horny, so I need to stop every now and then. I then go back through the text cold, so to speak. Dreaming up the action makes me very horny, so I do it in my head, and commit words to paper later.
Lurker
0 likes
Yes; it does help. I've written some of my best pieces in an aroused state. As lemanruss said above me though; editing and proofreading should be saved for when you're cold and not bothered.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I will give it a try,I see when i'm hory I start to imagine good ideas in my head.Just resit the need to masturbate and write,sounds easier said then done but I will give it a try.
0 likes
Sometimes yes, others no. I guess I need to be horny, but not too horny. If I get too horny, then I gotta masturbate. After that, I get back to writing.
Lurker
0 likes
For the actual erotic parts, I think arousal can help.

But for the framework around those scenes, the real fiction, I want to be sharp and alert.

That's just how I approach it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hmm, what's it like to 'not be horny'....? Not sure I am familiar with such a state ;)
Brown Sugar
0 likes
I just recently started writing erotica. I've found the experience unlike anything I've experienced while completing other types of writing. There are layers of arousal when writing erotica, much like sex. I'd compare framing the story to foreplay and typing the words to a naughty oral tease. The sensation leaves me on the edge of an orgasm for days. It's almost better than Tantric sex!

Do my stories leave you on the edge?

If so, then I guess the "horny" factor helps when writing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Possibly
There are layers of arousal when writing erotica, much like sex. I'd compare framing the story to foreplay and typing the words to a naughty oral tease. The sensation leaves me on the edge of an orgasm for days. It's almost better than Tantric sex!

Do my stories leave you on the edge?

Those words absolutely have me on a cloud. No wonder I love everything you write. You, yourself, are addicting.XpiD4DDopwYpctY5 The incredibly enticing way you write is like the ultimate carrot on the stick for me - nothing but gratitude and joy for your words.

I would find it impossible to write if I wasn't aroused, at least for the initial inspiration to find its way into printed word. And like others here have said, a cold-loined edit.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

This is soo true. But the stories are often damn hot!
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
When I start writing I'm always really into the story line. The sex is just part of the story line, not always my focus. But, for some parts I need to be in that mood. I lose myself in the head of my characters. I'll get horny while I'm working on it, imagining it in my head as I transcribe the scene. Sometimes I'm "working" on it physically or mentally for days. My partner tends to enjoy that.UHjTmYtNzlcdTumm He is always eager to help out anyway that he can. I do strongly recommend going back over whatever you have written in a fairly sedate state.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it certainly helps when writing the sexual parts, especially when your story's based on past experiences it can help you get & feel in the zone & make it easier to describe what you're writing.. Needless to say if you're not horny when you start writing, you are by the time you're finished!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sometimes it helps, but when I get too excited, I start to lose interest in writing. I just want to relieve myself and completely neglect what I was doing. I should work on that.