Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How are girls of today meant to feel great about their looks with this marketing Options · View
Tranquil
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:30:56 PM

http://www.upworthy.com/see-why-we-have-an-absolutely-ridiculous-standard-of-beauty-in-just-37-seconds

I show this to my teenage daughter, she was shocked as she really thought these girls looked that great with maybe a slight touch up.

so i wonder if the youth of today will have more crisis's in future then ever before due to this?

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

Musigal
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 1:15:27 AM

I seen that the other day. Bit of an eye opener. Even if a woman in real does look that good, just makes me wonder how long she's spent doing her hair and makeup etc etc.. How could be bothered..
Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 5:29:03 AM

I don't think she looks that great.... Personally, I like a woman that's looks like a woman has a personality, has flaws, has fun, and is, you know, what a human female is actually like. "Perfection" bores me, quite honestly.

The Doctor

~ "Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.”

~ “I'd forgotten not all victories are about saving the universe.”

~ “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.”

~ “I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Frank
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 7:36:41 AM

blah5

By realising their own true beauty and worth.
By finding someone who recognises and values them, for them.
As well as having the wisdom to see the marketing for what it is, and isn't.

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.
Aldous Huxley

Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 8:18:59 AM

When we can get away from body snarking comments about ANY woman's body type then we will finally be getting somewhere. I already see comments about this woman made on this thread. "I don't think she looks that great." Are you kidding? She's smiling and showing her confidence in her own sexiness, what could possibly be more alluring?

Women, big and curvy, slim and lean, trim and muscled are all beautiful. Maybe they aren't your ideal, but the great thing is that we are more than one person, so we can all strive for something different. I'm a curvy girl myself, but I prefer a muscular girl. Others like a slim look. As long as she is wearing a smile she is beautiful.

I've seen drop dead gorgeous women who were a turn off because they were frowning, and I've seen women who psychically were not that attractive that I was incredibly attracted to because they made me smile and laugh.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 9:52:40 AM

I'm guessing that the makeup, hair, and photoshop changes in the video were made for the purpose of print/online modeling.

I think it's more important than ever to separate the beauty-as-commodity world of fashion and modeling from the way women view each other and ourselves. I know that's hard to do, and the marketing world tries very hard to encourage us to use media as a mirror to ourselves (since that's what leads to us spending our money on whatever they're selling). But we shouldn't confuse what analysis prescribes in order to perfect a corporate marketing image with what's healthy for us: real, un-photoshopped women.

Judge yourself based on what you see in Elle Magazine at your own peril.
Dani
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 10:04:34 AM

LadyX wrote:
I'm guessing that the makeup, hair, and photoshop changes in the video were made for the purpose of print/online modeling.

I think it's more important than ever to separate the beauty-as-commodity world of fashion and modeling from the way women view each other and ourselves. I know that's hard to do, and the marketing world tries very hard to encourage us to use media as a mirror to ourselves (since that's what leads to us spending our money on whatever they're selling). But we shouldn't confuse what analysis prescribes in order to perfect a corporate marketing image with what's healthy for us: real, un-photoshopped women.

Judge yourself based on what you see in Elle Magazine at your own peril.

Exactly.

I know it's easier said than done, but if you focus on how you look compared to the next girl, then you'll never be happy.

And a lot of it goes with raising confident daughters. Of course you can't follow them to school and see who's laughing at their freckles or their frizzy hair, but it's important to ingrain a sense of appreciation of differences even within ourselves rather than an abhorrence of them.

Beauty is such a relative term and it exists outside of the media. Life in general exists outside of the media.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Tranquil
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 10:51:22 AM

so back to my original question. do you think the teenagers of today are going to be battling more then we ever did in self esteem issues when media are showing them the impossible ?

or do you thing they are more aware of these abilities and that nothing is real in the magazines these days. will they actually be more free?

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 10:57:10 AM

Wow - her neck looks so anatomically incorrect in the photoshopped image.

One of the strangest things about our culture is that we probably all feel very much that media and magazines and runway create an unattainable beauty and that we'd like to see 'some real women' gracing the covers. Studies have shown, however, that when mainstream fashion magazines opt for the more natural female or an average/curvy build on the cover - those magazines don't actually sell as well as the ones featuring the Kate Moss ideal and photoshopped supermodels. They want to sell magazines - so they go back to the formula that works. We are just as much to blame, in a way, because despite our moral protests and frustrations with feeling insecure about not measuring up - we are eating up this stuff just as quickly as they are turning it out.

Is it a sickness of sorts? Maybe. If you've ever browsed those 'pro-ana' and 'pro-mia' sites where they tout their commitment to eating disorders as a 'lifestyle choice' and then spend hours online being keyboard warriors and slamming pregnant celebrities for looking too fat, or complaining that Kate Upton is a heffer while glorifying extreme skeletal body frames... it's just... fucking sad.

One of the things that struck me when I was in my early twenties was that the bodies I tried to emulate and work toward as the 'ideal' and the female bodies I found myself attracted to were actually two different types of women. I actually didn't find the reed-thin runway model types to be sexually attractive at all - but for some bizarre reason I still wanted to look like them. How's that for fucked up? The first female that ever expressed interest in me had the body I thought I wanted - but when it came to actual attraction, I found myself thinking - hmmm.. this girl is too thin - it's not a turn-on. Weird. I've always found women with curvy/healthy/fit frames to be far sexier. It took me a while to get my head on straight about it though, growing up. I also will come out and say that I had a moderate eating disorder in my early to mid teens so that might have influenced my warped (and now mostly normalized) mindset.

I won't lie and say that I'm 100% self-confident and I never obsess over things I want to improve on when it comes to my looks, but now the inspiration comes more from healthy fitness-oriented female role models rather than fashion magazine covers and print ads of size-zero gazelles with poreless skin and jutting hips. With the use of heavy photoshopping these days, anyone can see the anatomical blunders and ridiculous waist-sizes and neck lengths and oversized facial features and know that it's a total mess. Even my friends who model don't actually look like many of the photos in their portfolios. I think most people understand that fashion magazines and photography is about selling a fantasy or a kind of art-image and appreciate it for what it is without aspiring to look that way - but teens - they're the ones that may still have to come to terms with their outlook on what female beauty is... and yeah, sometimes it's going to be a struggle.

Dani
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:02:59 AM

Tranquil wrote:
so back to my original question. do you think the teenagers of today are going to be battling more then we ever did in self esteem issues when media are showing them the impossible ?

or do you thing they are more aware of these abilities and that nothing is real in the magazines these days. will they actually be more free?

Of course they are. The teenagers of today are looking up to reality TV 'stars' as role models. Instead of wanting to be doctors or nurses or teachers or anything in between, they want to be famous. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Reality TV (which is far from real) is giving them what they think is a real glimpse into the glam life....where your biggest problem consists of a wardrobe malfunction or botox injections that made your lip swell. And while this stuff is entertaining for us, they're watching this with stars in their eyes.

And sure you can scare them with stories of Amanda Bynes or Lindsey Lohan...but even this is sensationalized.

The way they view reality is skewed, and as a result their views of beauty and the world in general are skewed.

It's hard to escape an image that's pretty much force fed to you. And it's far easier to buy into it than go against the grain. Although this stuff is far from real, when you're surrounded by people who buy into it...the moment you oppose it, you're the one that's the problem. So of course it's going to cause issues with self-esteem, to say the least.

I think the media is gonna be our biggest downfall in terms of body image and health if you're constantly told your body is imperfect if it doesn't look a certain way. Not everyone is built for certain body types, so there's gonna be major discrepancies in that realm.

But it's hard to accept who you are when you're told that who you are isn't the current definition of perfection.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

sprite
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:07:45 AM

with me, it's boobs. i spent a life time thinking, god, i have small boobs, and being very self concious about it - now, i finally realize that really, they're not celebrity boobs, but they're fairly normal and they look fine. yes, i have fallen in love with my boobs. *bounces a little*

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:14:21 AM

Tranquil wrote:

I think that for those who are especially insecure, this media/self-image problem will get no better. But for others, I think your suggestion that perhaps young women will be more savvy going forward is a good one. In our era, we know that photos aren't just 'touched up', they're fully manipulated into something else altogether (such as in the link). We know that they aren't depicting people so much as ideals; it just so happens that up to this point, actual people are still required as models. We know that what's being presented isn't so much a societal ideal for all to aspire to as it is a marketing scheme for profit. We're all getting more plugged in and more savvy, and it's happening at a younger and younger age going forward. As far as media manipulation goes, the earlier we become hip to it, the better.
Tranquil
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:18:31 AM

Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:27:03 AM

naughtynurse wrote:
When we can get away from body snarking comments about ANY woman's body type then we will finally be getting somewhere. I already see comments about this woman made on this thread. "I don't think she looks that great." Are you kidding? She's smiling and showing her confidence in her own sexiness, what could possibly be more alluring?

Women, big and curvy, slim and lean, trim and muscled are all beautiful. Maybe they aren't your ideal, but the great thing is that we are more than one person, so we can all strive for something different. I'm a curvy girl myself, but I prefer a muscular girl. Others like a slim look. As long as she is wearing a smile she is beautiful.

I've seen drop dead gorgeous women who were a turn off because they were frowning, and I've seen women who psychically were not that attractive that I was incredibly attracted to because they made me smile and laugh.

Sorry to go off topic again, Tranquil.

She's not attractive to me, she's not real! All real women are indeed beautiful as the feminine sex is the most wonderful thing. Maternal, caring, tender, exotic, tempting. Women are just magnificent.

What I meant was, I dont find what marketing agent tells us to find sexy very sexy at all. I've always rebelled against what society and companies and fashion has told me to like.

Women are the true salt of the earth and are the most heaven-sent of creatures, to my mind.

But I hate society rules.

Anyway, Tranq, girls can't love themselves until the faceless masters of society I named above allow girls to.

The Doctor

~ "Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.”

~ “I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Tranquil
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:34:54 AM

[quote=Jam_Wil_Mac]

. I've always rebelled against what society and companies and fashion has told me to like.

Women are the true salt of the earth and are the most heaven-sent of creatures, to my mind.

But I hate society rules.[quote=Jam_Wil_Mac]

I think I am in love

JasonM
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:41:25 AM

Tranquil wrote:

Yes indeed - Tara is lovely the way she is, no need to change her

All women are beautiful in their own way - the current trend of society does nothing but degrade women if they're not "perfect" and gives girls unreachable goals that too many try to take to heart and suffer depression and other self-denigration effects because of that.

"I'm not dark and moody, I just dress that way" - JM

A love poem : Dark Eyes - Now with audio recorded by myself
Another poem : Let Me Show You
A short story : Dark Knight, Shining Lady
My third poem : Morning Delight
My Competition Entry : Pain and Pleasure
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 12:16:20 PM

It's not just models being affected by photoshopped ads. I've worked with/shown/trained horses all my life. Many horses are bought and sold from their ads. When you are talking a many thousand dollar halter horse, one that has been bred, shown, and sold based on its appearance, its a significant breech oc consumer confidence. Long slender necks are not just sought for girls.

LASARDaddy
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 12:19:55 PM

They're not meant to feel good about their bodies!

They're meant to feel absolute disgust with their body, .....unless....., they buy whatever product is being advertised.

I've been against this for most of my life and had a very difficult time convincing my 3 daughters and 7 grand daughters that it's ALL ABOUT MONEY! Not them. They all get it now but my youngest daughter is 37. My oldest grand daughter is 33 and youngest is 13. I'm still working on her.

Be you, not what they think you should be.

I am always a gentleman.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 2:15:33 PM

Quote:
How are girls of today meant to feel great about their looks with this marketing

Teach them to ignore the marketing, to pay zero attention to the advertising and to unplug from whatever magazines, television or other media which is there strictly to bilk them of their coin.

Advertising is big business - and why?

We've got the brains (and so few of us use them).

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
fesselnd
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 3:01:46 PM

A good thing would be starting to not care.
You have all the power to ignore face beauty standards and be the way you want to be. The decent guys I know prefer a natural look anyway.
You can work on yourself becoming a better person instead. Become confident, gain self-esteem, learn to love yourself and generally become a good person.

Alternatively you can cry like a baby about it and asking how girls are capable of feeling beautiful - which literally means you are admitting you have no control over your own life when others tell you what is beautyful and what is not. And when you are at it, then you can also forget about how men are objectified and degraded in similar ways in media.

The choice is yours.
Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 4:20:36 PM

Tranquil wrote:
[quote=Jam_Wil_Mac]

. I've always rebelled against what society and companies and fashion has told me to like.

But I hate society rules.[quote=Jam_Wil_Mac]

I think I am in love

Reciprocated. :)

The Doctor

Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:03:29 PM

Now it is Cara Delevingne's thigh gap. I work in fashion and I will tell you the lengths models go to be skinny would disgust most people. Really gross, to purposely getting a cocaine habit to bulimia, chain smoking to injecting thyroid medication into their asses or getting lap bands when they are a size 8. Plus size is a 5'9 girl who is a size 10. Taller, thinner and the girls comply by claiming I am not into food. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that. You see them at parties staring hungrily at the food but feeling proud that they didn't eat. I hope Kate Upton ushers in a new era but I doubt it. It is a brutal business and I would never allow anyone I cared for to enter it.
My point is just love yourself as you are, be healthy and do not look to false ideals that are not real.

Another little lovely fact:Eating only baby food. YUCK!

Protect your daughters from the photoshop, the lies and the false images is all I can say.

Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:56:11 PM

That guy is a photoshop master... I'm impressed. Don't starve an artist such as this. Yeah, it's fucked up, the societal repercussions and all that shit.. but this motherfucker is making fine wine out of table grapes.

JasonM
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:49:29 AM

Felix - my opinion is that he made vinegar from Bordeaux grapes - Tara is a very lovely woman just as she is, and I've always thought so - another pic of her for your perusal

"I'm not dark and moody, I just dress that way" - JM

A love poem : Dark Eyes - Now with audio recorded by myself
Another poem : Let Me Show You
A short story : Dark Knight, Shining Lady
My third poem : Morning Delight
My Competition Entry : Pain and Pleasure
Sexi_Lexi
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:40:48 PM

People need to be smart and not have unrealistically high expectations when it comes to women and their bodies. But nope, because people are stupid
jeremiahbull
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 7:45:34 AM

Sexi_Lexi wrote:
People need to be smart and not have unrealistically high expectations when it comes to women and their bodies. But nope, because people are stupid

I agree with Lexi. Hell, look at the political situation in the US. We complain about congress then re-elect the same ones. Why? Because they have brought $ to their constituents (us). Now this is going to piss some people off....look at our avs. Shit, mine included. We pick attractive avs, unrealistic in many cases. We are constantly marketed to and maybe unconsciously market ourselves. Nothing wrong with wanting to improve. Kaizen is my favorite Japanese word. It just seems to me that many of us are a little guilty of that which we complain about.
BikeBoy
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 8:40:11 AM

JasonM wrote:
Felix - my opinion is that he made vinegar from Bordeaux grapes - Tara is a very lovely woman just as she is, and I've always thought so - another pic of her for your perusal

Would anyone care to wager as to what extent and where that image has been photoshopped?
LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 8:53:15 AM

BikeBoy wrote:

Would anyone care to wager as to what extent and where that image has been photoshopped?

I'm sure it has been to some extent. It might just be a slight correction of the lighting, or it could be a little slim&trim on her body, we just don't know. What I think we all know is that modeling images don't go untouched because it's so easy to touch them up.

I sense a tendency among people to almost trip over themselves to compliment plus-size models, and to reiterate the point that all body types are, or can be, beautiful. That's not really in dispute, though. Fashion and glamour modeling depends largely on fantasy, to the point that realism is often detrimental. We can't control that, and disparaging it is a futile exercise. They are not hurting women's self-image unless we allow it to by holding ourselves to those false standards.
DanielleX
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 9:30:34 AM

I thought the original girl looked nice. The photo-shopped one looks like a puppet.

lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 9:44:44 AM

There's a lot of talk about we shouldn't let these images affect women's self image. That's easily said. Lots of strong confident women in this thread. But what about some 15 yr old girl who is just barely overweight or plump. Not fat, but totally normal. Is she going to look at all the marketing targeted toward her and not feel guilty or shame or inadequate? Anorexia and bulimia are well know problems for young girls. Something is influencing these girls to try to be skinnier than their bodies should be. It's our job as parents to offset the bad images and ideas our girls get from tv, movies, music, magazines, whatever.. sadly not all girls have a good support system to overcome it.

It's all a double edged sword though. If we acknowledge that media images negatively impact young women in society then we also have to accept that violent images also negatively affect our young people. Or that sex on tv and in movies leads to young people having more sex (which, i'm not saying is a good or bad thing, just that it has an impact).

I have a young daughter and I tell her daily how much I love her. I let her know she's beautiful, but not so much or in a way to have her grow up to be a cocky snob. All part of being a good parent.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates