Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How are girls of today meant to feel great about their looks with this marketing Options · View
NightMan
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:56:58 PM

All good theories. However there are no guide lines each person is as different as their fingerprints.Ask men & they will tell you things like, I'M A leg man or ass man or breast man or face man. Truth is the last one isn't that far off. In reality in most cases the first thing A man see's as an infant. Is his mothers eye's and he spends his life searching for those eye's until he finds them. The rest is just icing on the cake. That's why the beauty in the eye of the beholder theory works so well. Women on the other hand usually seek men that remind them of their fathers. But keep in mind, Men tend to project A false image of themselves.So women are often deceived.Of course this happens to men as well.The eyes don't lie theory is false. As far as morals go I tend to agree with the theory, parents need to teach their children character & ethics not only verbally but by example.
The above is what I have taken away from A series of books I read called ( Understanding Human Behavior )Back in the late 70's. (Time Life books)
So the answer to the question posted is, they don't have to compete. All they have to do is, do what makes them feel good about themselves. Explain to your daughters that being A beauty queen isn't all it's cracked up to be. Most men really don't want to marry A beauty queen anyway.Just fuck them. We know they are high maintenance & most of them are vane & conceited. What most men want is A good person.Someone they can relate to.How do you relate to someone who is self absorbed? My 2 cents
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:23:04 AM

BikeBoy wrote:

Correct me if I'm reading that ad copy wrong but is Dove suggesting that using their Dove Firming soap will have a toning, slimming effect? Marketing trickery perhaps. dontknow

Did you even read the ad? Firstly, it's not a soap, but a body lotion. The ad campaign in Australia suggested using their product would be a great way to pamper yourself. They don't try and sell you any notions of turning anyone into a skinny super model. All their ads use "real" women.

Their entire marketing campaign was centered around loving the body you're in, and as the ad I posted says "stand tall and celebrate your curves". Take a close look at each woman in this particular ad. None are skinny, they're curvy ladies with big smiles.

I fail to see the trickery.
Mazza
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:20:22 PM

This video made me cry. It's wonderful.

I wonder if it will shift anyone's self-perception?

Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:40:44 PM

Mazza wrote:

Mazza I cried too. Leaky that way. I have a big super American sized tissue box so if we watch it again we are prepared. Just a wonderful juxtaposition of the superficial and strength overcoming adversity.
JasonM
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:04:02 PM

I too felt for them. If only every ones perceptions could be changed to see the beauty within instead of the surface.

Thank you Mazza for posting that {}

"I'm not dark and moody, I just dress that way" - JM

A love poem : Dark Eyes - Now with audio recorded by myself
Another poem : Let Me Show You
A short story : Dark Knight, Shining Lady
My third poem : Morning Delight
My Competition Entry : Pain and Pleasure
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:05:09 PM

NickiC wrote:

Mazza I cried too. Leaky that way. I have a big super American sized tissue box so if we watch it again we are prepared. Just a wonderful juxtaposition of the superficial and strength overcoming adversity.

It showes very subtile that working with humans never followes a standard model. You have always individuals to handle with.
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 1:42:46 AM

Oh Mazza, I'll never complain about my saggy, wrinkly, dimply, bits ever again. As Ray Stevens sang.. everyone is beautiful in their own way.

Now NickiC, send me some of those tissues.
Dancewithme
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 3:15:36 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Wow - her neck looks so anatomically incorrect in the photoshopped image.

One of the strangest things about our culture is that we probably all feel very much that media and magazines and runway create an unattainable beauty and that we'd like to see 'some real women' gracing the covers. Studies have shown, however, that when mainstream fashion magazines opt for the more natural female or an average/curvy build on the cover - those magazines don't actually sell as well as the ones featuring the Kate Moss ideal and photoshopped supermodels. They want to sell magazines - so they go back to the formula that works. We are just as much to blame, in a way, because despite our moral protests and frustrations with feeling insecure about not measuring up - we are eating up this stuff just as quickly as they are turning it out.

Is it a sickness of sorts? Maybe. If you've ever browsed those 'pro-ana' and 'pro-mia' sites where they tout their commitment to eating disorders as a 'lifestyle choice' and then spend hours online being keyboard warriors and slamming pregnant celebrities for looking too fat, or complaining that Kate Upton is a heffer while glorifying extreme skeletal body frames... it's just... fucking sad.

One of the things that struck me when I was in my early twenties was that the bodies I tried to emulate and work toward as the 'ideal' and the female bodies I found myself attracted to were actually two different types of women. I actually didn't find the reed-thin runway model types to be sexually attractive at all - but for some bizarre reason I still wanted to look like them. How's that for fucked up? The first female that ever expressed interest in me had the body I thought I wanted - but when it came to actual attraction, I found myself thinking - hmmm.. this girl is too thin - it's not a turn-on. Weird. I've always found women with curvy/healthy/fit frames to be far sexier. It took me a while to get my head on straight about it though, growing up. I also will come out and say that I had a moderate eating disorder in my early to mid teens so that might have influenced my warped (and now mostly normalized) mindset.

I won't lie and say that I'm 100% self-confident and I never obsess over things I want to improve on when it comes to my looks, but now the inspiration comes more from healthy fitness-oriented female role models rather than fashion magazine covers and print ads of size-zero gazelles with poreless skin and jutting hips. With the use of heavy photoshopping these days, anyone can see the anatomical blunders and ridiculous waist-sizes and neck lengths and oversized facial features and know that it's a total mess. Even my friends who model don't actually look like many of the photos in their portfolios. I think most people understand that fashion magazines and photography is about selling a fantasy or a kind of art-image and appreciate it for what it is without aspiring to look that way - but teens - they're the ones that may still have to come to terms with their outlook on what female beauty is... and yeah, sometimes it's going to be a struggle.

I am someone who has studied this issue too and find this very well put. You are one smart lady Dancing Doll!

Talent is god given be humble. Fame is man given be thankful. Conceit is self given be careful.

John Wooden
UCLA basketball coach
MissCarmelle
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 2:39:43 PM

The media conveys message to people about how they are expected to look, both male and female but there is more pressure on girls to look a certain way which the media denotes as being "sexy". I think there's too much focus on people being "beautiful" and less on them being a beautiful person, for a young girl especially, her self esteem is often determined by how she feels about her appearance. If your boobs aren't big enough or you don't have a bubble butt, you're less "sexy" if you pay attention to the media but who honestly has the 'perfect figure'?

The sex industry shows big breasted skinny women to be sexy but within the UK, the average clothing size for women is closer to Size 12-14 than it is the Size Zero that supermodels strive to achieve. Girls think being skinny is sexy but being comfortable and confident in your own skin is far sexier. Marketing is to blame but so is peer pressure and the pressure on girls to conform to what guys want.

Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 and is heralded as one of the sexiest women of both her time and in the history of film- go girl!
Tequila_Sunrise
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:25:56 PM

My God, just walking past La Senza or Victoria's Secret is enough to make me feel guilty about the popcorn I'm eating...
hayley
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:39:42 AM

Tranquil wrote:
http://www.upworthy.com/see-why-we-have-an-absolutely-ridiculous-standard-of-beauty-in-just-37-seconds

I show this to my teenage daughter, she was shocked as she really thought these girls looked that great with maybe a slight touch up.

so i wonder if the youth of today will have more crisis's in future then ever before due to this?

there will be "crisis" in the future but the wheel is turning.. at last year's New York Fashion Week there was an obvious move to fuller figured models with more natural shapes.. "less starved models" is how they were described.. London was the same.. Spain also.. there is much discussion about this..watch the Spring Collections in Milan to see if the Italian fashion industry is following the trend ..
who started it??? the public.. the "skinny look" started to be so "fAministic" that it detracted from the fashion .. people started noticing skinny models .. not what they were wearing..
French fashion icon Jean Paul Gaultier [of Madonna conical corset fame] was the first to use "natural" models on the catwalk at major events .. he continues to lead the trend ..
strangely, it is the other French fashion designers that are resisting the trend most.. opting for the extreme "scarecrow" look... I say strangely because fashion houses in France [as elsewhere] employ house models to actually display fashion to prospective purchasers.. these models are quite natural and sooo not scarecrows.. they are just naturally beautiful girls.

oh... where the catwalks and fashion shoots lead.. the magazines follow.. so there is hope for us all yet..
kornslayer1
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:21:42 AM

Yeah, I got nothing.

Thanks for reading, or looking at my posts, now go to my profile, and check out my stories.
If you have, thanks for reading. It's always appreciated. I know I don't have a Recommended read, or Editors choice for you to choose from, but I think you'll be happy with any story you choose. I write the way I write, and try my best. I know a lot of you like my stories that was in the removed category, but I hope you can appreciate the rest of them. Check this one out.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/my-step-brother-wants-me.aspx
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:51:03 AM

Brick wall
Mazza wrote:

I feel ashamed of myself... Beautiful video!
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:15:45 PM

As much as we'd like to be more than what we are, we have to accept without harsh judgment that we are what we are, however comparatively unglamorous that might be. There will always be a collective consensus of what is attractive and what is not. I would say that we can choose to focus on becoming that which is within our grasp and not on how we fall short of that collective consensus. And as for those who are obsessed with image, who really cares to wallow in a such a shallow pool, where how we are perceived by others can warp our sense of self value? None of us exist to be pleasing or attractive to others; who would choose to diminish themselves by objectifying their image merely so others will seek to praise it? Why make vanity and narcissism the driving force of your actions? Life is too short for that.
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 10:06:18 AM

I watched a documentary the other day about a teenager with a neuro-facial tumor that made half of her face sag. This child dealt with ridicule and bullying. A classmate even told her she should just kill herself. In the end she had surgery to help and would require more as she got older. Thankfully, she had a strong spirit and family support.

The media defines the norm through its smoke and mirrors. This is not new, they wouldn't let Judy Garland eat for fear that she would gain weight. Its more than a weight issue, there are many body types within thin and curvaceous. It is important to realize that even though you aren't going to ever look like that photo shopped image, you are still beautiful in your own way and so are others.

We are taught and at times teach, whether it is intentional or not, to look at what we aren't instead of celebrating who we are. Of course different people have different ideas of what they find pleasing as far as attraction, but that is a different part of this discussion. To teach our children that self worth is not couched in their thigh gap or their six pack abs is essential, yet challenged due to the barrage of media images that surround us and influence us all. Strong character, a healthy sense of self, education, healthy habits...these things aren't sensationalized but what if they were? Well, they are I suppose ... next to a gorgeous model or celebrity...because society buys into it. Looking beyond the physicality of someone requires depth, and it requires the ability to see beyond imperfections. We need to be kinder to ourselves and to others.
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:48:23 PM

I think I'm going to cop it for this but here goes.

Why - because women are their own worst enemies and to a degree we men encourage it.

For example - You constantaly buy magazines like Cosmapolitian, Style, Harpers Bazaar etc. These magizines constantly tell you, you are not beautiful but if u buy this product you will be more beautiful.

As a male nothing used to make me more angry than when I would convince a lady to come home with me because I was attracted to her looks (I know shallow - but sight is the first encounter) only to find the make up was such that she looked totally different, had false hair, false eyelashes, girdles, bust enhancers etc. So what I thought I had wasn't what I got. It's deception/lying - plain and simple.

Both men and women should be who we r -physically, spiritually and emotionally. Not try to be something we r not. And yes I know it's not a pefect world but we make it worse for ourselves. I'll admit that I am guilty but I believe (hope) I have learnt the error of my ways. Take me as I am or take a walk.
Twofish1way
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 10:26:29 PM

It is a parent's responsibility to make sure their daughters know the difference between real beauty and what they see in magazines/on t.v.. Real beauty can only be had by those with confidence, love, intelligence.... The problem lies in the young girls who quietly suffer...who are bullied and never tell. It is such a fucked up dilemma. It saddens me deeply. I truly believe it is a parent's responsibility to carefully tread those waters and prepare their children for reality vs. media. Big difference.
BigPuss
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:33:12 AM

yogafish wrote:
It is a parent's responsibility to make sure their daughters know the difference between real beauty and what they see in magazines/on t.v.. Real beauty can only be had by those with confidence, love, intelligence.... The problem lies in the young girls who quietly suffer...who are bullied and never tell. It is such a fucked up dilemma. It saddens me deeply. I truly believe it is a parent's responsibility to carefully tread those waters and prepare their children for reality vs. media. Big difference.

You are right to a degree, but this teaching is society's responsibility as a whole not just the parents. A parent has no control over what happens when that child leaves home and that happens when the child starts kindergarden. Beautiful things be they a natural scene, an animal a sunset etc are attractive to the eye and this draws people to them. So an attractive person will attract other people and if that person is flawed than those flaws will to some degree be passed onto to those people who associate with them and so on it goes into even more complex scenarios. Human naturedontknow