Login

Hard alcohol, yay or nay?

last reply
44 replies
3.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
I don't understand hard alcohol quite honestly. It costs a pretty penny, and you seriously have that big acquired taste. The price can really start to get up there, and people keep buying the stuff, I don't get it.
Lurker
0 likes
The points you make are valid - however the different tastes, while personally acquired over time, do make a difference - sometimes Wine, Mead or Ale are sufficient - there are those times, however, when something different is wanted - that's when Jamesons, Absinthe and the occasional Glenlivit come in.

I don't know if I can explain it any better
Lurker
0 likes
I've been tee-total for a while now. I missed it at first but have to say except for the initial first few months, I haven't missed it at all. I've found I can have just as much fun (if not more) staying sober, and I have fun having full knowledge of the previous night while sore heads are desperately trying to remember whose ceiling they're looking at and just who that leg draped over them may belong to.
Lurker
0 likes
yay all the way..
Candyman
0 likes
First you have to look at the reasons why people drink. Two reasons:

1. To get drunk
2. To socialize

Now that we have determined why, think about what and how.

Put it this way, hard liquor will get you as drunk as beer or wine but with a lot less effort. When you compare a drink by drink comparison, say a bottle costs $30, a bottle of wine costs $15, and a six pack of beer runs $6. You get roughly 32 ounces in a bottle of hard liquor. Depending on who is pouring, a shot is one ounce so that's $1. Two or three is enough for most people before they start feeling, shall we say - tipsy. You just spent $3.00.

Wine bottles usually have around 20 ounces and most people drink 3 ounces per glass or roughly $2.25 a glass. I'll be conservative and say it takes about 3-4 glasses to get tipsy. You're at $6.75 to $9.00 spent.

As for beer, at $1.00 per bottle you're doing great, but you're also going to drink more than 6, but for argument sake let us say 6. You're at $6.00 spent.

To drink at a bar, it is even higher for each type, but the amounts are about the same. So, you do the math and tell me where would you rather spend your money to get drunk? Trust me, btw, it doesn't take much to acquire the taste. Especially since the majority of hard liquor drinkers also include a mixer.

Me - I'll keep drinking my favorite straight up with 1 small cube of ice. Sure it runs me $200 a bottle, but that's because I like it and can.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Lurker
0 likes
nay. I'll stick to my miller lites. Corona if i work on sundays
Lurker
0 likes
Yay, Yay , Yay, Yay, how do you think I get through the day .......
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hard alcohol has it's place. Once in a while is understandable but it does get expensive and it makes you feel like ass the next day. Ill drink it but I can definitely go without
Bite Me and make it hard <3
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I hardly drink, like, next to never, but when I do, I like my White Russians. Pricey, yes, but so damn good. I don't much care for beer.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I generally hate beer unless it's Belgian or generally harder in general, so yea. I pretty much prefer hard alcohol.

Not really pure, but I love a good ginger bourbon lemonade.
Candyman
0 likes
Quote by MysteryBaby
Hard alcohol has it's place. Once in a while is understandable but it does get expensive and it makes you feel like ass the next day. Ill drink it but I can definitely go without

Isn't it all in the amount you drink? One way to prevent hard liquor from making you feel like an ass the next day is when you get home, take two aspirin - not Tylenol or Advil or Motrin but aspirin - with eight ounces of water. Drink it all down before you hit the sack. If you had more than eight shots or mixed drinks, add one ounce of water for every ounce of alcohol you had. That rehydrates you and stops all hangovers. Guaranteed.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

CurlyFries
0 likes
I've been known to enjoy a bit of vodka every now and then!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Unless I'm having Coronas, it's always wine or hard liquor for me. Usually I'll go with vodka soda (or vodka water) with a twist of some citrus (lemon, lime or orange). That's pretty much my staple. I also like using rose water or lychee liquor/juice. I'll have a proper dirty martini when I'm really in the mood to drink. Spiced rum is fun around the holidays or coconut rum in the summer, but in general I prefer vodka - it's a lot cleaner and has less hangover potential.
0 likes
I don't drink a lot of alcohol (and I'm not fond of beer), but I do drink some hard stuff. Very old Scotches are a favorite. Used to like some of the Seagram's vodka coolers, if that counts. I usually just drink wine, though, if I consume alcohol at all.
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
I love bourbon. It's not all that often I'll dri k it while I'm out, but as noted, that can make for an expensive night adding insult to self inflicted injury. I guess it just depends where and who I'm with. Quite often though, shots make an apperance sooner or later whether it be sambuca, tequila, or my fave, the jager bomb. But I always have a bottle or two of bourbon sitting at home and usually have a few on a Friday night to wind down. It's definitely my poison of choice..

I don't really consider it hard liquor. I consider home brew moon shine hard liquor. My old boss use to make it. I took a sip one afternoon and I couldn't talk properly for 3 days. It was like an atomic bomb went off in my throat.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SydneySider
I love bourbon. It's not all that often I'll dri k it while I'm out, but as noted, that can make for an expensive night adding insult to self inflicted injury. I guess it just depends where and who I'm with. Quite often though, shots make an apperance sooner or later whether it be sambuca, tequila, or my fave, the jager bomb. But I always have a bottle or two of bourbon sitting at home and usually have a few on a Friday night to wind down. It's definitely my poison of choice..

I don't really consider it hard liquor. I consider home brew moon shine hard liquor. My old boss use to make it. I took a sip one afternoon and I couldn't talk properly for 3 days. It was like an atomic bomb went off in my throat.

I don't drink but home brew moon shine sounds awfully appealing the way you put it! You are a funny one!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't find alcohol hard at all! There are some I don't like and lots I do.
Lurker
0 likes
Crater Lake vodka(distilled 10 times) a nice glass of wine, microbrews or how about a glass of sparkling water? Hubs likes brandy. Not a big drinker anymore.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Vodka is a favourite. 26000 brewed 2km down the road from my home. Any other brand is okay if 26000 is not around. Chartreuse if I want to have a real nasty night.
0 likes
I love belvedere vodka...that is the only stuff I drink in that catagory

and I like it straight up

would rather have a nice glass of wine or a cold dark beer
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by thesexynun
I love belvedere vodka...that is the only stuff I drink in that catagory

and I like it straight up

would rather have a nice glass of wine or a cold dark beer

Me too. Crater Lake, you should try it. I was a Belv girl but then Grey Goose and now this one rocks. It is from Oregon, worth the check out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Apart from cranberry and vodka on the rare occasion, I much prefer red wine over hard liquor any day of the week.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not against a little nip once in awhile. I have a preference for Jack Daniels and Coke Myself. But I don't get so hammered I lose control. A little common sense and the ability to know when the party is over always helps.
Lurker
0 likes
Sure, straight. don't like mixers. I tend towards vodka, and Barbados Rum.
0 likes
Unless I'm with my friends and beer is all there is to drink, I prefer hard alcohol. The last time I got drunk was in October; 27 shots were thrown back from a mixture of vodka, tequila and absinthe (and a little bit of Blackheart rum), but here's the kicker: no hangover. That night, friends and I made fried potatoes (with red onions and jalapeno peppers) and a homemade pizza. In my drunken stupor I had the wherewithal to take two capsules of milk thistle extract (look it up) and 50mg of zinc picolinate (look it up). Only acquired four hours of sleep, but slept like a champ and woke up feeling good as new (albeit really tired). The drinking was spaced out over the course of a little over four hours, but I chalk up the anti-hangover elixir to the milk thistle and zinc. Ah, and the 27 shots weren't intentional; one of my friends had bought Crystal Head vodka with the shot glasses, and well, the shot glasses actually accounted for three shots per glass. By 10:10 pm (we started at 10), we'd already taken nine shots before we realized how much we'd already consumed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Beer and red wine are my go-to elixir's but my girlfriend and I discovered mojito's this past summer. Sharing a pitcher of Mo-J on the patio or dock is a great way to spend time on a sunny day/evening. Despite numerous efforts years ago I was never able to acquire a taste for whiskey, bourbon, scotch, etc.
Lurker
0 likes
Sometimes yay and sometimes nay. Depends on how I feel at the time.
I'm usually an ale girl.
Lurker
0 likes
Whiskey is my drink of choice about 95% of the time. Occasionally I'll drink vodka instead, but if it's not that or whiskey, then it's beer or wine.